Favorite Football Movies

PantherProud

Coming off possibly the best weekend of NFL football in it's history, let's hear your 5 favorite football movies.

Remember The Titans
Any Given Sunday
Varsity Blues
The Replacements
National Champions

(dang I easily could have made this your top 10, many great ones left off)

Mine:

1. North Dallas Forty
  2. The Longest Yard
  3. All the Right Moves
  4. Friday Night Lights
  5. Brian's Song

Single best football scene in a movie:

69 is devine!

Remember the Titans
The Longest Yard
Varsity Blues
The Program
Friday Night Lights

Honorable Mention
The Blind Side
North Dallas Forty
The Replacements

1. North Dallas Forty (Book was better. Gent's The Franchise was another good read.)
2. Longest Yard (original)
3. We are Marshall
4. Friday Night Lights
5. Any Given Sunday

1. Friday Night Lights
  2. (a gap the size of Mt. Everest)
  3. Rudy
  4. Any Given Sunday
  5. The Longest Yard (Adam Sandler version)

In no particular order...

Remember the Titans
The Waterboy
Little Giants
Any Given Sunday
The Longest Yard - Burt Reynolds version
The Longest Yard - Adam Sandler version
The Blind Side
Rudy
Friday Night Lights
Something For Joey - going way back, the story of John Cappeletti
Invincible
We Are Marshall

Not a movie but still a classic...

Bonus points for this being the first credited role for Lucille Ball.

Last edited:
1. Horse Feathers (1932)
2. Son Of Flubber (1963)
3. Unnecessary Roughness (1991)
4. Grambling's White Tiger (1981)
5. Life Begins In College (1937)

Last edited:
1. Knute Rockne All American (1940)
2. Friday Night Lights (2004)
3. Rudy (1993)
4. Navy Blue and Gold (1937)
5. Brian's Song (1971)

Remember the Titans would be better if there weren't like 20 impromptu sing-alongs. But because it's Disney, gotta play up the campiness.

Last Boy Scout.....
Pre cursor of what we are and will see in professional sports the more gambling gets intertwined

Remember the Titans would be better if there weren't like 20 impromptu sing-alongs. But because it's Disney, gotta play up the campiness.
My biggest issue with Remember the Titans was the poetic license Disney took to make the show more "entertaining". The story was cool so why go way over board in changing so many facts. Here is the list:

• Alexandria Schools were racially integrated in 1965, and T.C. Williams was created by merging three racially integrated schools.
  • The Titans were ranked second in the nation at the end of the 1971 season, finishing 13–0. However, despite the movie showing multiple close games, most games were actually blowouts, with 9 of their thirteen wins being shutouts.
  • In the movie, Coach Boone states, "We are not like all the other schools in this conference, they're all white. They don't have to worry about race. We do." This is false as well; all the schools the Titans faced were integrated years before.
  • While the team is at camp, it shows Coach Boone waking them up at three in the morning to go for a run. This did not occur; neither did his speech at Gettysburg.[9] The team did go on a tour of Gettysburg, although it was not as dramatic as portrayed in the film. In the film on the tour of Gettysburg, Coach Boone said it was the scene where 50,000 men died. There were approximately 46,000 casualties and 8,000 deaths in this battle.
  • Ronnie "Sunshine" Bass was far from being the only one with long hair at the time. Even Gerry Bertier had long hair. But in interviews Bass said "I'll say for the record my hair was never that long." He also says the kiss with Gerry never happened.
  • The climax of the movie is a fictionalized 1971 AAA state championship football game between T. C. Williams and George C. Marshall High School. The dramatic license taken in the movie was to convert what was actually a mid-season match-up between T. C. Williams and Marshall into a made-for-Hollywood state championship. In reality, the Marshall game was the toughest game T. C. Williams played all year. As depicted in the movie, the real Titans won the Marshall game on a fourth down come-from-behind play at the very end of the game. The actual state championship (against Andrew Lewis High School of Salem) was a 27–0 blowout, played at Victory Stadium in Roanoke, VA.
  • Bertier's car accident took place on December 11, 1971, after (rather than a few days before) the season-ending State Championship game. Bertier had been at a banquet honoring the team for their undefeated season. After the banquet, Bertier borrowed his mother's new 1971 Chevrolet Camaro. Bertier lost control of the Camaro and crashed (the movie shows him getting broadsided). The cause of the accident was determined to be a mechanical failure in the engine mounts.
  • The "where are they now", shown during the film's closing credits, omits the fact that Sheryl Yoast died in 1996 at the age of 34 and that she was not an only child as she had three sisters. Her oldest sister Bonnie was in college, her second oldest Angela went to a different high school, and her younger sister Deidre was only three years old in 1971.
  • The "where are they now" also omits the primary cause of Boone's retirement: He was fired from the school due to allegations of player abuse and coach complaints

So what did he do?
For one:

I heard through a coaching buddy of how Rudy was getting big money to speak to some bigtime D-I programs after the movie came out. Had some big introduction that had to be played ahead of time with the movie theme song, video clips, etc. Then he spent most of the time trying to sell his books/videos/motivational tapes, etc. One coach (might have been Danny Ford) yanked him off the stage after about five minutes.

Also know a guy who played at ND a few years after Rudy. Said he was a huge tool.

For one:

I heard through a coaching buddy of how Rudy was getting big money to speak to some bigtime D-I programs after the movie came out. Had some big introduction that had to be played ahead of time with the movie theme song, video clips, etc. Then he spent most of the time trying to sell his books/videos/motivational tapes, etc. One coach (might have been Danny Ford) yanked him off the stage after about five minutes.

Also know a guy who played at ND a few years after Rudy. Said he was a huge tool.
It sounds like he would have made a great politician.

For one:

Everyone knows this guy. The $schit stain who cheats on scout team becuase he knows what is coming. Same guy who would cut your knees in walk through.

Don't ever let the truth get in the way of a good story though. ;)

That movie’s corny. In reality, they only integrated bc they thought it would help them win.