Fall HS Season

Are you sure these these ladies are going to be juniors? I was under the impression that will graduate in 2020. My son goes to LW and he has been talking about them while we watched the WNT. Actually he has been talking about them for years now. I am curious how the LW coach will deal with them.

They will all three be juniors. What do you mean when you say how the LW coach will deal with them? I have heard all three are really good kids.

They will all three be juniors. What do you mean when you say how the LW coach will deal with them? I have heard all three are really good kids.

The coach will be fine as those kids are very low maintenance. LW will score the only question will be can they defend with the top teams in Cinci. They have the luxury of great goalie play so that may cover up the for the lack on the defensive end. IMO I think they will win the GMC, but I believe the state title will come from up north this year. Creek will be the best team in Dayton once again, but their state title run ends now that MC has chosen not to play. MC has become the best scorer in the state and is a big shocker that she will not be playing. The one two combo they had with her and D was unstoppable.

Nothing about the kids, I am wondering how the coach will fit them in and can the coach deal with their talent or force them into LW system. For example, X's coach likes to play the ball in the air. Doesn't favor kids with that might be a little shorter but are strong passers and have good ball handling skills. Does the LW coach have that kind of a pre-conception?

Nothing about the kids, I am wondering how the coach will fit them in and can the coach deal with their talent or force them into LW system. For example, X's coach likes to play the ball in the air. Doesn't favor kids with that might be a little shorter but are strong passers and have good ball handling skills. Does the LW coach have that kind of a pre-conception?

Brigit Reder is West's coach. She is a West grad and is relatively young - probably somewhere between 28 & 30. Despite her age, she knows the game really well and knows what she's doing. She played her college soccer at Ball State as a defender and I could be wrong but she might have played every minute of every game from her freshman through senior years. If she didn't play every minute she was darn close to it and probably holds the Ball State record for the most minutes played in a career. After Ball State she played professional soccer for a few years both domestically and somewhere in Europe - maybe Sweden. She was also a decent basketball player while at West and I think she played on one of the teams that reached the Ohio final 4 in DI. She also has experience as a basketball coach.

In short, Reder will be fine and she won't have any problems with the talent level. Look for the Firebirds to be a strong side this year.

Creek isn't making a repeat appearance at state without MC but LW takes their place with KD (and no question with KD and MP). LW's biggest problem will be team chemistry, those 3 coming on to the team junior year is likely to create some animosity around the "they were too good to play with us before now" mindset amongst a group that have been playing together since junior high. No doubt they tackle that hurdle early, and if those two stars stay healthy they'll take the region this year...and maybe next.

MC was a critical part of BC success, but the real key was they had Elite talent through the center spine and speed on the edges. They only allowed teams low single digit shots on goal and they weren’t even on frame - Shots on Goal - Centerville 2, Mason 2, MND 3, LW 4 from what I can remember. And they played together using possession, quick passing, Outside backer attacks, attacking runs in the box, long range power, very fit starters, they really had no weaknesses all around relatively speaking.

LW and Springboro were the only teams to score during active play - the rest of the scores were set pieces.

The real issue BC has is that their defense lost two excellent backs and a keeper - that is why they will struggle to get back to the finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigit Reder is West's coach. She is a West grad and is relatively young - probably somewhere between 28 & 30. Despite her age, she knows the game really well and knows what she's doing. She played her college soccer at Ball State as a defender and I could be wrong but she might have played every minute of every game from her freshman through senior years. If she didn't play every minute she was darn close to it and probably holds the Ball State record for the most minutes played in a career. After Ball State she played professional soccer for a few years both domestically and somewhere in Europe - maybe Sweden. She was also a decent basketball player while at West and I think she played on one of the teams that reached the Ohio final 4 in DI. She also has experience as a basketball coach.

In short, Reder will be fine and she won't have any problems with the talent level. Look for the Firebirds to be a strong side this year.

Good to know, I am going to try catch a match this fall as I am intrigued by these three ladies that have been committed to a college since they were freshmen.

Beavercreek performed well at Mason's Preseason Classic this weekend, winning the top division with four wins and a tie. The tie was in the last game Sunday during battles with weather and after they knew their last result wouldn't change the standings.

In my first official contribution to Yappi, here are my Definitive Southwest Ohio Way Too Early Rankings:

1. Beavercreek - Don't care who's gone or who's returning. Still king of the hill til someone knocks them off.
2. Mason - No superstars, but culture + commitment + coaching = just win, baby.
3. Loveland - Never underestimate the power of the set piece. Infusion of some talent should help too.
4. Lakota West - Basically a DA team now, right?
5. Centerville - Beavercreek Lite.
6. Springboro - Centerville Lite.
7. Mt. Notre Dame - Did you know Rose Lavelle went here?
8. Mercy McAuley - Two high schools = not even fair.
9. Oak Hills - Will finally figure out what consistency means this year.
10. St. Ursula - Always (and only) relevant at the end of the season, these "Catholic girls start much too late" - Billy Joel.

Received votes: Lakota East, Anderson, Lebanon, Sycamore, Not Hamilton

Not only did Rose graduate from MND, she visits the school when in town, and has been known to be at an occasional game (when in town). She also played for CUP, and trained at Balconi.

In my first official contribution to Yappi, here are my Definitive Southwest Ohio Way Too Early Rankings:

1. Beavercreek - Don't care who's gone or who's returning. Still king of the hill til someone knocks them off.
3. Loveland - Never underestimate the power of the set piece. Infusion of some talent should help too.
10. St. Ursula - Always (and only) relevant at the end of the season, these "Catholic girls start much too late" - Billy Joel.

Ouch, bashing my Alma Mater, (Not Hamilton) they have improved as a program and play 8/14 teams regular season and scrimmages. I hope you are wrong for the sake of the Big Blue!

Beavercreek performed well at Mason's Preseason Classic this weekend, winning the top division with four wins and a tie. The tie was in the last game Sunday during battles with weather and after they knew their last result wouldn't change the standings.

A great result indeed (no confirmation on if MC played or not, I talked to someone who thought she was there not sure if she was playing or supporting). That said, everyone uses the preseason tourney for a different purpose (many use it to try different combinations of players on teams and/or to try different players in positions of need) so these results don't mean much, if anything, at all. And also...every team played games in that heat.

Mason replaced their Balconi training with Competitive Edge training, always a fan of their preparation if nothing else. Still don't think they take the GMC over LW this year though.

Mason replaced their Balconi training with Competitive Edge training, always a fan of their preparation if nothing else. Still don't think they take the GMC over LW this year though.
Interesting, so Mason sends players to Competitive Edge Training? That’s awesome. Is that common for High Schools soccer teams to get conditioned by a third party trainer?

Interesting, so Mason sends players to Competitive Edge Training? That’s awesome. Is that common for High Schools soccer teams to get conditioned by a third party trainer?
Competitive Edge is just a camp opportunity. It's not really that different than any college team camp. They try to do more "all-encompassing" training instead of just focusing on soccer. There's a range of possibilities, depending on what the coach/program wants.

Based on what I've seen this week in random scrimmages and both the Mason and the OE event, Creek still the champ, LW nowhere near a lock for the GMC. If anyone in the ECC decides to show up Loveland could be in trouble. MND and Ursaline might be the worst in years.

GMC - Mason
GWOC - Beavercreek
GGCL - SUA
ECC - Loveland simply by dafault
CHL - Indian hill

Based on what I've seen this week in random scrimmages and both the Mason and the OE event, Creek still the champ, LW nowhere near a lock for the GMC. If anyone in the ECC decides to show up Loveland could be in trouble. MND and Ursaline might be the worst in years.

GMC - Mason
GWOC - Beavercreek
GGCL - SUA
CHL - Indian hill
I don’t really think you can tell anything by these scrimmages. I know West had 23 players on the team and played kids they were looking at to see if they would even make varsity more than the kids that would normally play. They were also missing a couple kids that will probably start. They definitely weren’t playing to win. I think most teams use these scrimmages as a tryout not to win.

GMC - Mason
GWOC - Beavercreek
GGCL - SUA
CHL - Indian hill
I don't hate this list. Mason and LW are the only two contenders for the GMC, the self-proclaimed "toughest conference in Ohio":rolleyes:, so it's a 50-50 shot. GGCL in general will be weak again this year, but don't sleep on Mercy McAuley. Loveland and Anderson will be the only contenders for the ECC, and Loveland still way ahead in my book.

I didn’t see anything at Mason this year other than the Lebanon and MND game on the high school field in 96 degree mid day temps, to watch a friends daughter from MND and they looked fine considering. I was at OE this weekend. West subbed nearly every stoppage so really hard to tell what that will look like. And I know kids were missing. Alter looked pretty solid. Loveland did what Loveland does, definitely a physical style of play, a stronger ref may have changed some of those results. Miamisburg looked pretty good as well. But almost every team had 10 to 12 on the bench and kids were playing all over. I know Mason is always prepared and Centerville has to be in the mix for the GWOC especially if Cash doesn’t play.

I will say I was surprised at the desire shown by some players. A bit below what I was expecting to see, body language and effort should never be bad regardless of the game format or importance.

Wish them all a healthy and successful season. Looking forward to seeing my oldest out there this year after taking time off of soccer to focus on running.

Balconi was replaced by FX Athletic Performance, not Competitive Edge. FX did the morning workouts at Mason High School. FX is run by a young woman that used to train at Balconi. In essence, she took over the Balconi business. She uses Balconi's former facility in Blue Ash and kept a number of Balconi's clients.

Southwest District Semis Last Yr

West- Lost to Creek as expected but got a lot better with the 3 DA kids. Their weakness will be that D
Creek- Still really good, but lost 3 good defenders and Cash (big loss) D will have to carry the load and she is capable

East- lost to MND and lost a really good forward. Not much offense (senior striker from DA should help) should be good on D
Mnd- Beat East but a couple of the better players choosing not to play high school this yr (what’s up with this trend). Expect them to be down

Boro- Lost to the land and lost by far their best players to Oh St and TN (College) Expect them to be good not great
The land- No love lost in the land they do what they do great at set pieces and should win the league title again

Mason- model of consistency very good defensively will contend in the GMC
The Ville- I think they are being slept on this yr. I expect them to compete at a high level CS up top can fly

Southwest District Semis Last Yr

West- Lost to Creek as expected but got a lot better with the 3 DA kids. Their weakness will be that D
Creek- Still really good, but lost 3 good defenders and Cash (big loss) D will have to carry the load and she is capable

East- lost to MND and lost a really good forward. Not much offense (senior striker from DA should help) should be good on D
Mnd- Beat East but a couple of the better players choosing not to play high school this yr (what’s up with this trend). Expect them to be down

Boro- Lost to the land and lost by far their best players to Oh St and TN (College) Expect them to be good not great
The land- No love lost in the land they do what they do great at set pieces and should win the league title again

Mason- model of consistency very good defensively will contend in the GMC
The Ville- I think they are being slept on this yr. I expect them to compete at a high level CS up top can fly
There will occasionally be a few kids that opt to not play high school for all or some of their high school careers. I've noticed a trend where non-DA kids are opting to sit out for 1-2 seasons (sophomore and/or Jr year) because these are prime recruiting years. College coaches typically don't recruit at high school games, they recruit at the big showcase tournaments. The late Nov-early December showcases (like CASL) are important. Some kids will opt to skip high school and focus on training and getting ready for those big showcases. Assuming they have the college offer that they want, they will sometimes go back and play for their high schools as seniors