Exit Light, Enter the Cougar - Houston vs UC Game Thread

So what? UC had nine months to prepare for that game; ND had one week. When you have nine months, you have no excuse but to deliver or else you’ll get sliced up and gutted by the media like you’re having a C-section.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

AEW Champion: Father of the CFB Forum

I believe UC played 3 games prior to visiting South Bend, granted they had a bye the week prior. The game prior to ND, they were playing at Indiana, who was preseason top 15. I doubt all their attention for 9 months was on ND, though I'm sure those defensive players loved playing as well as they did against Freeman's defense.
All three opponents before they played Notre Dame were complete trash and you know it. Real fans with brains knew Indiana was not going to sustain their success. They’re Indiana for a reason.

AEW Champion for Poster of the Year!

All three opponents before they played Notre Dame were complete trash and you know it. Real fans with brains knew Indiana was not going to sustain their success. They’re Indiana for a reason.

24-13...at ND

And no, has been ND is NOT their superbowl.
It absolutely was. Why do you think so many UC fans paid top dollar to attend the game? Because it was their program’s one chance to stand in the aura of greatness. The UC fanbase outed itself as out of its element by being more touristy than a group of people from halfway around the world wearing I ❤️NY shirts, staring up at the skyscrapers and snapping picture after picture in NYC.

AEW Champion: America’s Last Hope

It absolutely was. Why do you think so many UC fans paid top dollar to attend the game? Because it was their program’s one chance to stand in the aura of greatness. The UC fanbase outed itself as out of its element by being more touristy than a group of people from halfway around the world wearing I ❤️NY shirts, staring up at the skyscrapers and snapping picture after picture in NYC.

24-13....If UC wants to make the playoffs AGAIN, they cant schedule ND...itll bring them down. Can afford to schedule has been programs

Lol I was at the game and, honestly, there was nothing special about ND's campus. People I was with wanted to go the grotto and what not, but I really didn't get the appeal. Touristy shi|t, sure, but really just a bunch of stuff that people want you to believe is important. And South Bend as a whole was a complete dump. 4/10.

Lol I was at the game and, honestly, there was nothing special about ND's campus. People I was with wanted to go the grotto and what not, but I really didn't get the appeal. Touristy shi|t, sure, but really just a bunch of stuff that people want you to believe is important. And South Bend as a whole was a complete dump. 4/10.
So why’d you go? I tend not to spend money on things I consider to be “touristy” or a “complete dump.”

So why’d you go? I tend not to spend money on things I consider to be “touristy” or a “complete dump.”

Because I wanted to watch UC play football against ND. Pretty self-explanatory. Had never been there before either, but it ended up being nothing special in terms of campus and what not.

Because I wanted to watch UC play football against ND. Pretty self-explanatory. Had never been there before either, but it ended up being nothing special in terms of campus and what not.
Like any gameday atmosphere, the home fan and alum is going to get more out of it than the road fan. I’m just surprised anyone would spend 8 hours traveling up there and back since the home team allegedly wasn’t good or relevant according to you and your good-time buddies on here.

AEW Champion: Greatness Personified

They brought back a pretty big core from their top 15 team the year prior, so no that's not accurate.

So because fans, most of whom had never been to Notre Dame paid top dollar and took pictures it was UC's Super Bowl. Yep you got 'em.

It also wasn't the program's one chance to stand in the aura of greatness - they've been to the Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl and Sugar Bowl within the past 15 years. This was their chance to make a move in the current college football landscape and get into the Playoff. It was the biggest game on their schedule this year and they dominated in every facet, except FG kicking.

I was there as well, I thought the campus was cool but I like that kind of stuff. I've been to Ohio State and Michigan when the Bearcats have played there and those campuses are nothing special. First time I had been to Notre Dame and it was better than those two easily. The Grotto was cool, Touchdown Jesus, stadium was cool. Cathedral is beautiful. Was bummed we missed being able to go into the Dome. But you're right about South Bend, and it's horrible to get into and out of.

So because fans, most of whom had never been to Notre Dame paid top dollar and took pictures it was UC's Super Bowl. Yep you got 'em.
It absolutely was. There’s no denying that. It was another game for ND, but UC’s Super Bowl.
It also wasn't the program's one chance to stand in the aura of greatness - they've been to the Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl and Sugar Bowl within the past 15 years. This was their chance to make a move in the current college football landscape and get into the Playoff. It was the biggest game on their schedule this year and they dominated in every facet, except FG kicking.
None of those bowl appearances are brushes with greatness. Well, one was against Urban and Tebow if I recall, so that kinda counts. But bowls are meaningless exhibitions unless you’re playing for the title. Also, the game at ND was evenly played despite your narrative. The two first-half INTs that ND threw took 7 off the board for ND and put 7 on the board for UC, so the game really was decided by two plays. Yardage and first downs were more or less even, ND was much better on third downs, ND led in time of possession. And UC fans were dreading it when the game got cut to 17-13. That’s the reality of that game. Had Kelly gone to Drew Pyne early, ND may well have ended up winning.

AEW Champion, Editor-in-Chief

It absolutely was. There’s no denying that. It was another game for ND, but UC’s Super Bowl.

None of those bowl appearances are brushes with greatness. Well, one was against Urban and Tebow if I recall, so that kinda counts. But bowls are meaningless exhibitions unless you’re playing for the title. Also, the game at ND was evenly played despite your narrative. The two first-half INTs that ND threw took 7 off the board for ND and put 7 on the board for UC, so the game really was decided by two plays. Yardage and first downs were more or less even, ND was much better on third downs, ND led in time of possession. And UC fans were dreading it when the game got cut to 17-13. That’s the reality of that game. Had Kelly gone to Drew Pyne early, ND may well have ended up winning.

AEW Champion, Editor-in-Chief
Just another game for ND LOL. It was a top 10 matchup and the best team on Notre Dame's schedule.

Evenly-played? You're delusional. Here you go, I'll cherry-pick some data too - Cincinnati dominated the entire game outside the opening drive (where they forced an INT), and the Irish 2nd TD (first TD was a short field where UC was driving for points and Ridder was strip-sacked inside the 25, but as usual you omitted that). As soon as the game got to 17-13, Cincinnati marched right down the field and scored to extend it again to 24-13.

Like any gameday atmosphere, the home fan and alum is going to get more out of it than the road fan. I’m just surprised anyone would spend 8 hours traveling up there and back since the home team allegedly wasn’t good or relevant according to you and your good-time buddies on here.

AEW Champion: Greatness Personified
Who in the hell said they weren’t relevant or good? I know I’ve never said that. I’ve said they’re not as relevant as they used to be and the brand isn’t as strong, but I’ve never said they’re not a good team.

I was there as well, I thought the campus was cool but I like that kind of stuff. I've been to Ohio State and Michigan when the Bearcats have played there and those campuses are nothing special. First time I had been to Notre Dame and it was better than those two easily. The Grotto was cool, Touchdown Jesus, stadium was cool. Cathedral is beautiful. Was bummed we missed being able to go into the Dome. But you're right about South Bend, and it's horrible to get into and out of.
Admittedly, I haven’t been to many away games for a lot of the teams I follow. Trying to get out and do more of that. College campuses just never impress me very much; think it’s just a me thing though.

Admittedly, I haven’t been to many away games for a lot of the teams I follow. Trying to get out and do more of that. College campuses just never impress me very much; think it’s just a me thing though.
Those are the only 3 I've been to. Michigan fans are nuts, as are Ohio St fans. The most down to earth were Notre Dame fans by far - AEW notwithstanding. Very gracious hosts too, everyone kept saying "Welcome to Notre Dame" as corny as that sounds.

Those are the only 3 I've been to. Michigan fans are nuts, as are Ohio St fans. The most down to earth were Notre Dame fans by far - AEW notwithstanding. Very gracious hosts too, everyone kept saying "Welcome to Notre Dame" as corny as that sounds.
I’d agree with that. All ND fans I interacted with were extremely nice. A shame AEW gives them a bad name here.

I’d agree with that. All ND fans I interacted with were extremely nice. A shame AEW gives them a bad name here.
Everyone I encounter says I’m a heck of a guy, very salt of the earth like the American Dream Dusty Rhodes. But make no mistake: AEW represents no tribe. AEW represents himself, not Notre Dame.

AEW Champion: Son of a Plumber

Ohio State has by far the worst in-person fanbase that I’ve ever experienced going to any sporting event. Also had a negative encounter with a few Purdue people many years ago, but overall the Purdue people seemed fine and I think the troublemakers were local Lafayette bumpkins who probably didn’t make it past junior high, much less attend a school like Purdue.

.....you oughta make a roadie to PITT or WVU if you wanna see nuts. It's like they feel it is their duty to spend the night in the tank for drunk and disorderly. Especially the WVU fan, even their women get all liquored up and wanna' fight somebody. If they can't get a rise out of the opposing fans, they start fighting with each other. It ain't nothin to see WVU fan face down on the concourse with his hands zip tied behind him twenty minutes before kickoff....

.....you oughta make a roadie to PITT or WVU if you wanna see nuts. It's like they feel it is their duty to spend the night in the tank for drunk and disorderly. Especially the WVU fan, even their women get all liquored up and wanna' fight somebody. If they can't get a rise out of the opposing fans, they start fighting with each other. It ain't nothin to see WVU fan face down on the concourse with his hands zip tied behind him twenty minutes before kickoff....
Ahh, I did go to Pitt in 2009. Snow game to clinch the Big East, an undefeated regular season and a spot in the Sugar Bowl (didn't go so well, but glad to be there). Awesome game.

Everyone I encounter says I’m a heck of a guy, very salt of the earth like the American Dream Dusty Rhodes. But make no mistake: AEW represents no tribe. AEW represents himself, not Notre Dame.

AEW Champion: Son of a Plumber
Ehhhh...you're enough of a blinded homer here to sour people on them.

That's on the list once the move to the Big 12 happens. I do remember WVU fans when they came to Cincy, they were exactly as you described.

Ahh, I did go to Pitt in 2009. Snow game to clinch the Big East, an undefeated regular season and a spot in the Sugar Bowl (didn't go so well, but glad to be there). Awesome game.
Awesome game, I'm sure it was an incredible atmosphere. This year's team reminds me a lot of that one, they seem very unflappable. Still can picture Gilyard's kick return to get the comeback started.