Euclid District 2022

54, 63, 73, 63, 62 are the point totals for Brush this season against St Eds, Richmond Heights, Shaker, St Ignatius, and SVSM - the five best teams on their schedule. They went 3-2 in these games with James while averaging basically 63 a game. Without him, I would think Mentor can keep the game lower scoring.
Good call. Congratulations to the Cards!

If Mentor makes 15 threes tonight, they will win . That's not getting hot that's smoking hot.
Mentor was 12/22 tonight or something close, in shooting three's. They were very streaky. Started out like 3/3 and 5/7. At one point they cooled off and were 6/13 but made 6/9 to finish the game.

Wow, what a performance by Mentor tonight. Sophomore Ian Iopollo has a career game with four early three pointers and 16 in the first half. He scored 8 points in 20 seconds to help Mentor burst out to an early 19-4 lead. Mentor shot the ball extremely well, attacked when opportunity opened up, a well executed defense, and they rebounded well (a big key after last game). The coaches got the best out of these players. But when it comes down to it, the boys have to execute. And boy, did they.

Even though Brush was missing a Mr Basketball candidate, they still have loads of talent: 6’6 Marlon Barnes (junior committed to Pitt), 6’7 Antoine Woolfolk (senior committed to Rutgers), and 6’8 Tyler Williams (junior with offers to a handful of mid majors). For a variety of reasons, the offense was overwhelming reliant on James despite the other talent in the lineup.

Yes, a big story is the absence of Elmore James. He is a fantastic guard that has been one of the leading scorers in the state, not to mention Brush’s all-time leading scorer. The Arcs were lost on offense without him. He has been their offensive identity the past two seasons, so it makes sense. Does Mentor beat Brush with James? I wouldn’t bet on it, but that doesn’t matter. I do feel bad for the situation, even though I know nothing about his circumstance

Mentor beating Brush in the District Final is about as sure of a thing as the sun coming up. Mason is like the Ted Ginn of basketball. He is loaded with talent every year - yet does not win anything.

It’s hard to determine what could have happened with James, however, even with him in the lineup, Mentor would have been tough to beat the way they played last night. Remember, without James in the lineup against Boardman in the semis, Brush won by 30 points. Also, Brush had 3 DI & a DII players on the court all night. Bottom line, Brush was outplayed offensively & defensively, out hustled & outcoached last night, while holding Brush to 46 points.

As talented as Brush is, Mentor is just built for a deep run no matter what. The loss of Elmore James didn't help, but I think Mentor somehow would have found a way, even if James played.