ESPN Top 50 High School Football Teams All-time

Cincinnati Moeller 1976 was the best high school team ever in my opinion. They outscored their opponents 490 to 40. Beat the number 2 team 10 and 0 Youngstown Cardinal Mooney 48 to 0 and the number 3 team Gahana Lincoln 10 and 0 43 to 3 and had the 43 points in the middle of the third quarter. This was back when you had 2 weeks of playoffs the top 4 teams in the state in classes AAA AA and A.

Feel like these guys should be on there somewhere.
IMG_0031.jpeg

04 Colerain is the best Ohio High School team I have seen in my lifetime. That spans a pretty good amount of time as well 😂
Yes, I forgot about them very dominate. As far as the fastest and best defenses I ever seen was 04 Colerain, 81 McKinley, 76 Moeller 93 Ignatius and 2020 Hoban.

Love this topic.

I always remember as a youngster in the early 90's opening the USA Today every Tuesday to the National Top 25 when my dad would bring it home for work...Ignatius was always up there.

I'm very interested in all the teams mentioned, any NFL\NCAA names on these teams, especially Cincy Colerain 2004?

Thank you.

I always say that 2004 Colerain team was the greatest team in Ohio history. That triple option was unstoppable, and their defense was unreasonably good.

I always say that 2004 Colerain team was the greatest team in Ohio history. That triple option was unstoppable, and their defense was unreasonably good.
Could be. But that Moeller team was an offensive machine led by a great high school quarterback Tim Koegel and were a great running team. Would have been a fun matchup.

I'd say 04 Colerain as well. Elder played them the closest all year and still lost by 18. Not the strongest schedule. But I don't think it matters cause they smacked every team in the playoffs.

Ohio is well represented. Obviously it skews toward players who played next level and beyond but I thought all the Ohio teams on the list deserve it. That '93 Ignatius team blew everyone out with a tough schedule (except Ed's in a classic 35-34 3OT game). Moeller's first state title was the year before, espn gets that wrong (beat Ed's 14-12, another classic). '97 McKinley was an incredible team and their two games with Ignatius in the playoffs were something special when you think about '98 too. The 1927 Waco team played Cleveland Cathedral Latin. In "When the Lions Roared" about the Cathedral Latin football program, the author says Waco had a cutting edge passing offense that no one in Cleveland had ever seen. It didn't help that they had been practicing inside a gym for a month before taking the train to Waco. The Massillon teams under Paul Brown speak for themselves.

I think the saddest parts of these things is that there is not room for everyone. The points made about '04 Colerain and '07 St. Xavier are well taken. I'd add 2010 Ed's to that list too. Small schools get screwed as well. I get that its about the talent but there are some phenomenal small school teams that have had amazing runs of dominance.

Ohio is well represented. Obviously it skews toward players who played next level and beyond but I thought all the Ohio teams on the list deserve it. That '93 Ignatius team blew everyone out with a tough schedule (except Ed's in a classic 35-34 3OT game). Moeller's first state title was the year before, espn gets that wrong (beat Ed's 14-12, another classic). '97 McKinley was an incredible team and their two games with Ignatius in the playoffs were something special when you think about '98 too. The 1927 Waco team played Cleveland Cathedral Latin. In "When the Lions Roared" about the Cathedral Latin football program, the author says Waco had a cutting edge passing offense that no one in Cleveland had ever seen. It didn't help that they had been practicing inside a gym for a month before taking the train to Waco. The Massillon teams under Paul Brown speak for themselves.

I think the saddest parts of these things is that there is not room for everyone. The points made about '04 Colerain and '07 St. Xavier are well taken. I'd add 2010 Ed's to that list too. Small schools get screwed as well. I get that its about the talent but there are some phenomenal small school teams that have had amazing runs of dominance.
That Moeller vs Ed's game (14-12) was a classic and a heartbreaker for Ed's. I still talk to some of the guys on that team and they can recall every play down the stretch.