Enrollment numbers

jet

OHSAA has released enrollment figures. Are there any notable teams changing divisions this year?

I saw Steubenville down to 4
Benedictine down to 3
(Maybe Chardon up to 2)
(Maybe Solon down to 2)
(Maybe Winton Woods up to 1 depending on their CB)

edit: pretty sure Steubenville will stay at 3 now that I double check it

Last edited:
And even then, we would need to know the division cutoffs. Sure, if a school drops a lot or gains a lot you could make a pretty good assessment, but other than that this is just a piece of the puzzle.
Exactly, with Benedictine already being the 2nd smallest D2 team and dropping 44 kids, I’m pretty confident they’ll be 3.

One more caveat:
Schools that believe the ODE has miscalculated their enrollment can file an appeal with the OHSAA no later than Friday, March 11, 2021 using the required APPEAL FORM. Following the appeals, the OHSAA Board of Directors will approve the FINAL enrollment numbers and classifications

Where can you find the previous enrollment parameters for each division? I think the smallest D4, last year, was 209

Must be news to the OHSAA, straight from the OHSAA page literally linked to this thread

• June 2022 BOD meeting- Approval of Fall and Winter Sports Divisions for 2022-23
The preliminary assignments will come out in April will be Approved in the June meeting that is how it works

We anticipate having them early in April

Kimberlee L. Kiehl, Ph.D.
Chief Operating Officer
Ohio High School Athletic Association
4080 Roselea Place
Columbus, OH 43214
Desk: 614.267.2502, ext 133
Cell: 614.546.5242
kkiehl@ohsaa.org

Per Inside source possibly D 1 cutoff will be 501 it most likely will be expanded 4 per region
That’s 95 schools, not including the Rhodes and John Marshall, who would likely be above that. Also not including Massillon or Toledo St. Francis who would get there by competitive balance.
So that’s an additional 26 schools in D1

That’s 95 schools, not including the Rhodes and John Marshall, who would likely be above that. Also not including Massillon or Toledo St. Francis who would get there by competitive balance.
So that’s an additional 26 schools in D1
Competitive balance will ultimately dictate who goes and stays D 1 of D 2

Toledo Central Catholic, which usually has the largest CB number, has 217 this year. If the enrollment dividers stay around the same then I feel like it would be reasonable to say they go to D3.

Toledo Central Catholic, which usually has the largest CB number, has 217 this year. If the enrollment dividers stay around the same then I feel like it would be reasonable to say they go to D3.
Do you expect their CB # to decrease? If they’re back near a total # of 390 I think their staying

Must be news to the OHSAA, straight from the OHSAA page literally linked to this thread

• June 2022 BOD meeting- Approval of Fall and Winter Sports Divisions for 2022-23
Someone took it and ran with it Kingpin. Closer to home, Columbiana will be D5, Crestview D5 and EP D7, after the CB is added in.

Do you expect their CB # to decrease? If they’re back near a total # of 390 I think their staying
I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. I said in a different thread that they are most likely going to border either of the two divisions with their CB.

With the competitive balance numbers yet to be calculated I already know some and some surprises await everyone and yes I said hat 501 was the cut off number but they are only going after the top 16 after the CB numbers are added

I *think* the OHSAA numbers are still prelim and not approved. I would presume the approved numbers will no longer have TBD's.
The tbds are fairly common for some of the inner city schools. A couple years ago Chaney had a tbd well into the season, actually changed divisions mid season if I remember correctly.

With the competitive balance numbers yet to be calculated I already know some and some surprises await everyone and yes I said hat 501 was the cut off number but they are only going after the top 16 after the CB numbers are added
You think Winton Woods will remain in Dll? If so looks like another championship.

The tbds are fairly common for some of the inner city schools. A couple years ago Chaney had a tbd well into the season, actually changed divisions mid season if I remember correctly.
I think it was east you’re talking about and they stayed in D4 but they should have jumped up mid year from what their enrollment actually was if I remember correctly that’s the year they lost to girard at stambaugh in the playoffs

I think it was east you’re talking about and they stayed in D4 but they should have jumped up mid year from what their enrollment actually was if I remember correctly that’s the year they lost to girard at stambaugh in the playoffs
You're right

I think if you win your division 2 years in a row you should be kicked up a division for the next two years. This would prevent a team from dominating.
As far as the super large enrollment schools go, maybe have a division 1 A & B. I have always been in favor of separating the Publics from the Privates.
Lets face it, private schools generally have more resources available to them and "somehow" attract more Allstars,
while incurring less consequences from the OHSAA.
Open enrollment either adjacent or statewide should not be considered because it is every districts decision to participate.

Last edited: