Elder Wrestling 2020-2021

Coach, it's updating now.

Consolation Semifinals aka “The Blood Round” (win = state qualifier and will wrestle for third; loss = will wrestle for fifth but not a state qualifier)
120: Magness lost maj dec David Gelman (Moeller) 13-5
126: Murphy lost dec Luke Acuna (Centerville) 9-4
138: Kaimann dec Olathe Siegla (Trenton Edgewood) 3-0

Last edited:
For third place:
138: Kaimann lost dec Max Boaz (Lakota East) 5-3

For fifth place:
120: Magness dec Bryton Miller (Kettering Fairmont) 10-3
126: Murphy dec Logan Steiner (Lebanon) 9-5

Last edited:
Congrats to senior Kody Kaimann for finishing fourth and qualifying for the state tournament! And also congrats to junior Drew Magness and freshman PJ Murphy for placing fifth.
Later on senior Jack Tucker will try to join Kaimann next week at Hilliard Darby. Best of luck to him.

Kettering Fairmont District Tournament - Day 3, 152-285
Consolation Round 3
285: Tucker dec Braeden Denlinger (Kettering Fairmont) 2-1

Last edited:
Consolation Semifinals aka “The Blood Round” (win = state qualifier and will wrestle for third; loss = will wrestle for fifth but not a state qualifier)
285: Tucker lost pin Radical Rothermel (Trenton Edgewood) 0:49

Last edited:
Congrats to Tucker for ending his Panther wrestling career with a fifth place finish at Kettering.
As of 7:54 and with only a few matches to go, LaSalle will easily take first place with at least 183.0 points over Centerville (150.5) and Moeller (134.0); Elder is thirteenth with 53.0.
Next Saturday senior Kody Kaimann will be in C-bus at Hilliard Darby for the D-I tournament. His participation will mark what I'm given to understand will be the fortieth or forty-first (that may be wrong) straight year that at least one Panther has qualified for the state tournament.

Last edited:
It turns out that Kaimann kept Elder’s streak of having at least one state qualifier intact, extending it to 41 straight years. I’m sure there are a number of other schools statewide that can make a claim that equals or exceeds it, especially in northeast Ohio, but if any other school in the Cincy area currently has a streak that equals or exceeds it, I’d like to know who it is.
As for Kaimann, it sure looks like his story is one of hard work, dedication, and coaching. As a sophomore, it’s fair to say he had a tough year on the varsity level (he also wrestled some jv matches): by my records he went 6-15 and was pinned 11 times. But last year he improved to 23-21, and this year so far he is 21-13 and a state qualifier.
It also should be mentioned that as fifth place finishers Magness, Murphy, and Tucker are alternates; admittedly, the odds of any of them wrestling this weekend are slim and none and slim is getting ready to leave town, but you never know.

It turns out that Kaimann kept Elder’s streak of having at least one state qualifier intact, extending it to 41 straight years. I’m sure there are a number of other schools statewide that can make a claim that equals or exceeds it, especially in northeast Ohio, but if any other school in the Cincy area currently has a streak that equals or exceeds it, I’d like to know who it is.
As for Kaimann, it sure looks like his story is one of hard work, dedication, and coaching. As a sophomore, it’s fair to say he had a tough year on the varsity level (he also wrestled some jv matches): by my records he went 6-15 and was pinned 11 times. But last year he improved to 23-21, and this year so far he is 21-13 and a state qualifier.
It also should be mentioned that as fifth place finishers Magness, Murphy, and Tucker are alternates; admittedly, the odds of any of them wrestling this weekend are slim and none and slim is getting ready to leave town, but you never know.
If there was a year that there was a higher percentage chance or however you would want too say it. I’d say more of an opportunity too get in this year more than any other. However you just never know, it’s a long season. Good luck too Kody and just maybe another panther can get in.

The D-I state tournament starts tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. at Hilliard Darby with weights 106-145. They will wrestle the championship preliminaries, championship quarters, and consolation rounds one and two. All weights will finish up on Sunday.
Kaimann is in the top half of the 138 bracket. As a district fourth place finisher, he drew a district champ, Dublin Coffman senior James Baumann (Hilliard Darby district).
Best of luck to Kody!

Connor Craig (West Liberty U., W.Va.) won two matches yesterday (a 19-3 tech fall and a 1:40 pin) to reach the semifinals of the 184 pound weight class at the NCAA Division II tournament in St. Louis. Craig, who won the D-II 174 pound title in 2019 and is seeded second, will wrestle unseeded Bailey Kelly from Maryville (MO) this afternoon. The winner probably will face top seed Heath Gray from Central Oklahoma in tonight’s title match.
Best of luck to Connor!

Division I State Tournament - Day One
Championship Preliminaries
138: Kody Kaimann lost tech fall James Baumann (Dublin Coffman) 16-0

Last edited:
We’re all glad that the Panther grapplers were able to wrestle this year, even if the regular season consisted of all dual meets and no bracketed or pool tournaments. Fingers crossed that come next December life will pretty much be back to normal with all COVID-19 restrictions in the rearview mirror so they will be able to wrestle a regular schedule.
The grapplers had a tough year, as EHSports shows that they went 11-21. Some of wrestlers took their lumps, but they can look to Kaimann for inspiration: he had a tough sophomore year, improved to an over .500 record his junior year, and was a state qualifier this year. Hopefully all those who return will continue to improve and things will be better next year.
Speaking of next year, here is this year’s Panther sectional lineup, minus the seniors and with next year’s class for each of this year’s underclassmen:
106: Ben Weigand (sophomore)
113: Brent Stahl (senior)
120: Drew Magness (senior)
126: PJ Murphy (sophomore)
132:
138:
145:
152: Andrew Thamann (junior)
160: Anthony Lay (junior)
170:
182: Daniel Bibent (junior)
195: Liam Hulen (junior)
220: Bradley Sims (junior)
285:
Of course, you never know who will be wrestling for Elder next fall: a wrestler’s family could win a huge Powerball jackpot and move to Malibu, where the ex-Panther would have to find something else to do next winter as Malibu High School (home of the Sharks) doesn’t have a wrestling team. On the other hand, a wrestler might transfer in, like Alec Moore-Nash did after his freshman year at Fairfield.
As for the GCL-S, LaSalle will lose two-time state champ (and this year’s 126 pound champ) Dustin Norris and state qualifiers from this past weekend Casey Wiles, Darnai Heard, and Dillon Walker (all three finished second this year) to graduation. They will return three state qualifiers from this past weekend (all classes are as of next year): seniors Jake Niffenegger (second at 138) and Chase Stein and sophomore Tanner Spalding. The Lancers also will return sophomore district qualifiers from this year Eli Marengo, Jack Willen (Kettering sixth 152), and Dakota Reardon.
Moeller will lose state qualifiers from this past weekend Nolan Moore and Brayden Zenni and also Dominic Pappalardo and Jack Scally to graduation. Four other such state qualifiers will return: seniors David Gelman, Kurt Thompson, and Jonathan Sanchez (eighth at 182) and sophomore Jared Johnston. The Crusaders also will return district qualifiers from this year senior Brad Hornback, junior Jayden Brogden, and sophomore Graham Mercurio.
St. Xavier will return district qualifiers from this year seniors Joe Cook, Braden Kent, and Jordan Ruther and sophomore Aiden Allen. Also returning for the Bombers will be senior LaVeall Trimble.
Everyone stay safe (this stupid pandemic isn’t over quite yet) and good luck to the Panther spring teams.
Aloha.

We’re all glad that the Panther grapplers were able to wrestle this year, even if the regular season consisted of all dual meets and no bracketed or pool tournaments. Fingers crossed that come next December life will pretty much be back to normal with all COVID-19 restrictions in the rearview mirror so they will be able to wrestle a regular schedule.
The grapplers had a tough year, as EHSports shows that they went 11-21. Some of wrestlers took their lumps, but they can look to Kaimann for inspiration: he had a tough sophomore year, improved to an over .500 record his junior year, and was a state qualifier this year. Hopefully all those who return will continue to improve and things will be better next year.
Speaking of next year, here is this year’s Panther sectional lineup, minus the seniors and with next year’s class for each of this year’s underclassmen:
106: Ben Weigand (sophomore)
113: Brent Stahl (senior)
120: Drew Magness (senior)
126: PJ Murphy (sophomore)
132:
138:
145:
152: Andrew Thamann (junior)
160: Anthony Lay (junior)
170:
182: Daniel Bibent (junior)
195: Liam Hulen (junior)
220: Bradley Sims (junior)
285:
Of course, you never know who will be wrestling for Elder next fall: a wrestler’s family could win a huge Powerball jackpot and move to Malibu, where the ex-Panther would have to find something else to do next winter as Malibu High School (home of the Sharks) doesn’t have a wrestling team. On the other hand, a wrestler might transfer in, like Alec Moore-Nash did after his freshman year at Fairfield.
As for the GCL-S, LaSalle will lose two-time state champ (and this year’s 126 pound champ) Dustin Norris and state qualifiers from this past weekend Casey Wiles, Darnai Heard, and Dillon Walker (all three finished second this year) to graduation. They will return three state qualifiers from this past weekend (all classes are as of next year): seniors Jake Niffenegger (second at 138) and Chase Stein and sophomore Tanner Spalding. The Lancers also will return sophomore district qualifiers from this year Eli Marengo, Jack Willen (Kettering sixth 152), and Dakota Reardon.
Moeller will lose state qualifiers from this past weekend Nolan Moore and Brayden Zenni and also Dominic Pappalardo and Jack Scally to graduation. Four other such state qualifiers will return: seniors David Gelman, Kurt Thompson, and Jonathan Sanchez (eighth at 182) and sophomore Jared Johnston. The Crusaders also will return district qualifiers from this year senior Brad Hornback, junior Jayden Brogden, and sophomore Graham Mercurio.
St. Xavier will return district qualifiers from this year seniors Joe Cook, Braden Kent, and Jordan Ruther and sophomore Aiden Allen. Also returning for the Bombers will be senior LaVeall Trimble.
Everyone stay safe (this stupid pandemic isn’t over quite yet) and good luck to the Panther spring teams.
Aloha.
I heard 126 will be open. Rumor is Murphy has already transferred out of Elder.

NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships
Championship Round 1
174: Austin Murphy (Campbell) dec Mason Kauffman (Northern Illinois) 3-2

Championship Round 2
174: Austin Murphy vs Andrew McNally (Kent State)

Championship Round 2
174: Austin Murphy lost dec Andrew McNally (Kent State) SV 6-4

Consolation Round 2
174: Austin Murphy vs Jacob Oliver (Edinboro)

Consolation Round 2
174: Austin Murphy pin Jacob Oliver (Edinboro) 6:40

Consolation Round 3
174: Austin Murphy vs Hayden Hastings (Wyoming)

Last edited:
NCAA Wrestling (@ncaawrestling) Tweeted:
Dear Wrestling,

You have given me more than I could have ever imagined. From the highest of highs, to the lowest of lows and everything in-between.

-Austin Murphy, @GoCamelsWrestle

#NCAAWrestling https://t.co/zx7QeOix9E

Pretty good message here for all wrestlers/ student athletes alike !
Excellent message from this young man!!!! He gets it!! Sometimes this kind of message never enters the mind of such a young person but since it did he was nice enough to share it with the world. I wish much success to you Austin in your future endeavors, you will be a success wherever and what ever you do. And the sport of wrestling has helped you get through the tough times.

Coach McCoy