DVII Elite Eight ‘21

Hoist the Black

Part time participant
Division VII – all games Saturday, Nov. 20
Region 25
3 Warren John F Kennedy (9-2) vs. 4 Dalton (11-2) at Marlington Stadium

Region 26
1 Bascom Hopewell-Loudon (12-1) vs. 3 Lima Central Catholic (11-2) at Findlay Donnell Stadium

Region 27
1 Newark Catholic (12-1) vs. 3 Shadyside (11-1) at New Philadelphia Woody Hayes Quaker Stadium

Region 28
1 Maria Stein Marion Local (13-0) vs. 6 St. Henry (10-3) at Wapakoneta Mercy Health Ford Field

Just breaking out of the hyper-local loop. Insight/Predictions/..and unrealistic narratives :) How did the AP & Posters do in the season long Top 10? So much content available to us now, we should be pretty, pretttttttty good at this…

What about the game breaking players left in D7?

Schlabach - Dalton
Malone - Dalton
Brown - JFK
Hackett - NC

…so many more

Last edited:
Division VII – all games Saturday, Nov. 20
Region 25
3 Warren John F Kennedy (9-2) vs. 4 Dalton (11-2) at Marlington Stadium

Region 26
1 Bascom Hopewell-Loudon (12-1) vs. 3 Lima Central Catholic (11-2) at Findlay Donnell Stadium

Region 27
1 Newark Catholic (12-1) vs. 3 Shadyside (11-1) at New Philadelphia Woody Hayes Quaker Stadium

Region 28
1 Maria Stein Marion Local (13-0) vs. 6 St. Henry (10-3) at Wapakoneta Mercy Health Ford Field

Just breaking out of the hyper-local loop. Insight/Predictions/..and unrealistic narratives :) How did the AP & Posters do in the season long Top 10? So much content available to us now, we should be pretty, pretttttttty good at this…
Final 4 prediction:
JFK - because I saw them 1st hand last year beat NC - very sound and well coached
LCC - because I saw they traveled 2+hrs to LV & won the past 2 years - not an easy task
NC - biased yes - alum & have kids on the team
MSML - only undefeated team left in D7 for a reason & beat SH by 2 TDs earlier in season (but very hard to beat a team twice in 1 season)

I believe 4 of the elite 8 were state ranked (top10) - but Shadyside was 11th and St Henry was 13th -- I personally don't get too caught up in the rankings - it is hard to gauge all 100+ teams that are D7 spread all over the state. I understand the rankings are here to stay. It is very difficult to compare leagues these teams are in - besides the MAC which its reputation on the state level speaks for itself.

I think when NC lost to Heath week 9 of the season 21-28 some people around the state left them for dead-not knowing Heath is very strong D4 team that just lost Friday in the playoffs to #1 Bloom Carroll. Heath also beat NC by 7 last year.

There are only 12 losses combined between the 8 remaining teams - and 10 of those were to opponents in higher divisions - the 2 D7 losses were to Ft Loramie & MSML -- so we are talking about some VERY strong/Top notch teams with outstanding resumes.

Not just saying this-I believe any one of these 8 teams have it in them to win the D7 championship. The only thing that would surprise me if any of the last 7 games left to play in D7 were to be a one-sided blowout score.

Good luck to all the remaining teams!

Final 4 prediction:
JFK - because I saw them 1st hand last year beat NC - very sound and well coached
LCC - because I saw they traveled 2+hrs to LV & won the past 2 years - not an easy task
MSML - only undefeated team left in D7 for a reason & beat SH by 2 TDs earlier in season (but very hard to beat a team twice in 1 season)

I believe 4 of the elite 8 were state ranked (top10) - but Shadyside was 11th and St Henry was 13th -- I personally don't get too caught up in the rankings - it is hard to gauge all 100+ teams that are D7 spread all over the state. I understand the rankings are here to stay. It is very difficult to compare leagues these teams are in - besides the MAC which its reputation on the state level speaks for itself.

I think when NC lost to Heath week 9 of the season 21-28 some people around the state left them for dead-not knowing Heath is very strong D4 team that just lost Friday in the playoffs to #1 Bloom Carroll. Heath also beat NC by 7 last year.

There are only 12 losses combined between the 8 remaining teams - and 10 of those were to opponents in higher divisions - the 2 D7 losses were to Ft Loramie & MSML -- so we are talking about some VERY strong/Top notch teams with outstanding resumes.

Not just saying this-I believe any one of these 8 teams have it in them to win the D7 championship. The only thing that would surprise me if any of the last 7 games left to play in D7 were to be a one-sided blowout score.

Exactly what I was hoping to read. Good health & good fortune to your kids.

There are so many matchups I want to see. This might be one of the stronger D7’s I’ve seen in some time. (Although I spend a lot of time w/ D2/5/6 locally.)
Dalton has jumped out locally and they’ve been a blast to watch.

also, kudos on the “East of the bend” sizzle reels. Top notch? Get my weekly dose in, trying to keep up with everyone.

I said before the season the two teams that I thought would be the biggest challenge(outside of the MAC of course) were Dalton and Newark Catholic. Nothing has changed.
Have not looked forward to a game like this in years. Just got everything you want. Talent everywhere.

I said before the season the two teams that I thought would be the biggest challenge(outside of the MAC of course) were Dalton and Newark Catholic. Nothing has changed.
Also curiously watched Kennedy & Dalton get some ranking snubs all year… (which mean absolutely nothing)

Don’t know much about them. Are they any good? Earth seems nice. ???

They are literally at the point where it’s boring to discuss. …but they gotta plays these out.

LCC is a tempting pick though. As you said, which team shows? They've got state title talent but have those letdown that tell me they could lose this week.

LCC is a tempting pick though. As you said, which team shows? They've got state title talent but have those letdown that tell me they could lose this week.
Can forgive in season let downs this year… It was the Convoy Crestview final that gave me pause in week 11… they are rolling on the last 2 though.

Final 4 prediction:

Also forgot to mention that Nc just squeaked by Shadyside last year 10-7 on the way to the final 4 game vs JFK. Shadyside has a veteran head coach and a ridiculously successful running attack. Should be some very good matchups.

Also forgot to mention that Nc just squeaked by Shadyside last year 10-7 on the way to the final 4 game vs JFK. Shadyside has a veteran head coach and a ridiculously successful running attack. Should be some very good matchups.
For whatever reason, I keep mentally forcing Shadyside to prove something to me this year…Then they walked right through a good Barnesville team. NC is so balanced though. There is no Heath on that schedule. I’m fairly confident in the mean green, here…

We accommodate all kinds here. ?
I was only halfway kidding haha. But in all honesty don't be surprised to see the Skins defeat MSML. Regular season game was tight statically the major difference being a kickoff return for MSML. The Skins are playing their best ball right now, and will want the challenge Saturday. Now I'm not unrealistic I know we are the underdogs, and MSML deserves that respect, but I just have this feeling.

I was only halfway kidding haha. But in all honesty don't be surprised to see the Skins defeat MSML. Regular season game was tight statically the major difference being a kickoff return for MSML. The Skins are playing their best ball right now, and will want the challenge Saturday. Now I'm not unrealistic I know we are the underdogs, and MSML deserves that respect, but I just have this feeling.
All the way over here, it’s truly crazy to see the year MSML has put together and still, somehow, not have to pick our jaws off the floor in the event of the shot you’re calling.

Dalton
Hopewell-Louden (Just to be different)
NC
SH (I am a Homer, but I think we put it together this year.)
Anything is possible at this stage...either team could win these games and no one would be shocked. BUT. ML has had such a miraculous year--they should have lost 2-3 of the games they've played, at least, but Herculean effort pulled it out, each time. They just seem to have this magic...this strong mojo, this assurance they will NOT lose. I believe they will win state this year, without a doubt. Even though Newark gives me the heebie jeebies (I hope it's not them), I'd still bet the farm on the blue and gold hoisting that trophy...?

Anything is possible at this stage...either team could win these games and no one would be shocked. BUT. ML has had such a miraculous year--they should have lost 2-3 of the games they've played, at least, but Herculean effort pulled it out, each time. They just seem to have this magic...this strong mojo, this assurance they will NOT lose. I believe they will win state this year, without a doubt. Even though Newark gives me the heebie jeebies (I hope it's not them), I'd still bet the farm on the blue and gold hoisting that trophy...?

It definitely took a herculean effort to win a few of those games, but that's bound to be the case with their schedule (plus dealing with key injuries) MSML has wins over three teams that are still alive in the playoffs. Versailles and Coldwater are likely to make the state finals. No other team in D7 could have gone unbeaten against the Flyers' schedule. That's why they are the favorites to win state. But that was the regular season. They still have to get it done now and there are some very good teams remaining. D7 is pretty tough this year when I look at the teams left. At the start of the year, I thought it would be MSML vs Newark Catholic. I'll stick with that prediction. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
It definitely took a herculean effort to win a few of those games, but that's bound to be the case with their schedule (plus dealing with key injuries) MSML has wins over three teams that are still alive in the playoffs. Versailles and Coldwater are likely to make the state finals. No other team in D7 could have gone unbeaten against the Flyers' schedule. That's why they are the favorites to win state. But that was the regular season. They still have to get it done now and there are some very good teams remaining. D7 is pretty tough this year when I look at the teams left. At the start of the year, thought it would be MSML vs Newark Catholic. I'll stick with that prediction. Good luck to all.
Very few programs have been more heavily favored for a state title. But, you’ll have to forgive us for indulging ourselves in a reality that exists where Marion Local is, at least, put in a position to have to fight like hell for it. Otherwise… it just wouldn’t be any fun for the rest of us ?

Very solid pick.

Very few programs have been more heavily favored for a state title. But, you’ll have to forgive us for indulging ourselves in a reality that exists where Marion Local is, at least, put in a position to have to fight like hell for it. Otherwise… it just wouldn’t be any fun for the rest of us ?

Very solid pick.

Oh they can be beaten (this isn't a 2014 type of season where they were a lock). The Flyers' year could end any week now. There are some very good teams left in every region.

Dalton (JFK does not want to play the MAC two years in a row)
Shadyside (why not?)
HL (this is not last years LCC team)
MSML (since the inception of 7 divisions they have lost 1 time to another D7 school, they beat Versailles, Coldwater and St Henry - all still alive. Give me a sound reason not to pick them??)

Looks like the final 4 pairings have switched this year. (MaxPreps Brackets)

Is there any additional info on the nice hockey prospect missing time @ MSML? Full go for the remainder? ( I thought I had read something on that, at least ?‍♂️)