Dublin Jerome

Sounds nasty. I saw a couple tweets last night that the AD is coaching AAU with the dad who is behind all of this. Sounds ugly and corrupt! Too bad for Coach Beard, good dude. AD being buddy buddy with a parent is bad news.

Zach Fleer tweeted that Beard has the overwhelming support of players and parents. The problem is with the one parent who runs Elevate AAU, uses the Jerome facilities and is buddies with the AD.

Not surprising. Before the current coach I believe the parents ran out a guy that had 40+ wins in a two year stretch, including a district title and being named D1 state coach of the year.

This is what happens when you have weak-spined administrators and overly involved and entitled parents. I think Fleer was a little excessive in his tweet campaign yesterday, but nonsense like this doesn't stop unless you shout it down and shame it.

Zach Fleer has done some nice things for Central Ohio basketball, but I thought he went a bit overboard in this instance.
Agreed. Don't agree with him on some things regarding HS basketball but he was a little much yesterday. Overall, do enjoy his coverage though of 270 Hoops.

Agree with everything said above!

Question...at these big high schools, at what point is not winning a reason to move on from a coach? NBA and college seem to do it every year and that is trickling down to HS now. (Not saying it is right at either level.)

Personally, I see....
Year 1 = getting to know school/team, implementing culture and system
Year 2 = continued culture and system build - but show signs of improvement
Year 3 = should see improvement and wins
Year 4 = system and culture in place, should see results
Year 5 = a make or break season

Jerome coach is about .500 after 4 years....is that enough to get a 5th year? They seem to have talent and great facilities. Athletics and winning matters now a-days. Should be interesting with so much player, parent, and social media support.

Agreed. Don't agree with him on some things regarding HS basketball but he was a little much yesterday. Overall, do enjoy his coverage though of 270 Hoops.

That's an easy way to burn bridges without knowing you are burning bridges for a media guy. I do agree, I enjoy the 270 stuff.

I'd say by the letter the assistant coach penned and posted on Twitter, they don't plan on being back as a staff. The "if you want to know why no basketball coach at Jerome has lasted more than four years, I'll let you know" line will probably not sit well with admin. That being said, four years is about the average for any coach in any sport anymore, for the exact type of reason all this Jerome stuff started in the first place.

Question...at these big high schools, at what point is not winning a reason to move on from a coach? NBA and college seem to do it every year and that is trickling down to HS now. (Not saying it is right at either level.)

Personally, I see....

Jerome coach is about .500 after 4 years....is that enough to get a 5th year? They seem to have talent and great facilities. Athletics and winning matters now a-days. Should be interesting with so much player, parent, and social media support.

I too noticed he was around .500

Sounds nasty. I saw a couple tweets last night that the AD is coaching AAU with the dad who is behind all of this. Sounds ugly and corrupt! Too bad for Coach Beard, good dude. AD being buddy buddy with a parent is bad news.
The AD has not interviewed any supportive parents, coaching staff or players. He took the word of Matt Stavroff and a few other disgruntled players (playing time).

Feel bad for the players...

This is just Dublin Jeromes Administration at their finest.
Agree! As a parent this guy Stavroff helped run off Pearson the former coach and now he’s trying to run out Beard. Stavroff has a kid who is a Soph playing varsity but thinks he should be a starter.

Not surprising. Before the current coach I believe the parents ran out a guy that had 40+ wins in a two year stretch, including a district title and being named D1 state coach of the year.

This is what happens when you have weak-spined administrators and overly involved and entitled parents. I think Fleer was a little excessive in his tweet campaign yesterday, but nonsense like this doesn't stop unless you shout it down and shame it.
They are weak at Jerome. We call in to support Richie and principal says it’s the AD decision. We call the AD he says well there’s more to it. Ask like what he says he can’t discuss. This is all about playing time-entitled kids who think they deserve more then what they get. One dad takes pictures and I’ve seen him yell at the staff bc playing decisions with his son. Dad continued to take team photos.

I partially agree on Fleer -- while it may be over-the-top to write a tweet overloaded with a hashtag and write several other ones directly putting Jerome's feet to the fire on this, I do think it's fine (and worthwhile) to retweet*highlight what many of his former players (including those playing in college) had to say.

This one especially 'hit different' -- Dan Lee had a very noticeable improvement in his game over the course of his four years and this is one of the many ringing endorsements that's worth paying attention to.

I partially agree on Fleer -- while it may be over-the-top to write a tweet overloaded with a hashtag and write several other ones directly putting Jerome's feet to the fire on this, I do think it's fine (and worthwhile) to retweet*highlight what many of his former players (including those playing in college) had to say.

This one especially 'hit different' -- Dan Lee had a very noticeable improvement in his game over the course of his four years and this is one of the many ringing endorsements that's worth paying attention to.

I would agree it’s fine to retweet current or former players. Tagging the principal as a member of the media? Ehh. I don’t know. He has built a nice thing with 270, but at the end of the day he’s media. He’s probably best served staying neutral.

Personally, I see....

Generally agree with all of this except the very last point. I'm not sure what the talent level the last few years has been at Jerome compared to when Pearson was there, but generally coaches that are a few games over .500 after four years aren't getting non-renewed unless there's something severely wrong with their handling of the program or their personal conduct...and it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

What's been described here and on Twitter between the administration and one specific parent is why many coaches don't stay anywhere for more than a few years anymore, regardless of what their record is. Coaches leave jobs because of bad administrations that kowtow to a minority of loud disgruntled parents.

I would agree it’s fine to retweet current or former players. Tagging the principal as a member of the media? Ehh. I don’t know. He has built a nice thing with 270, but at the end of the day he’s media. He’s probably best served staying neutral.
not gonna lie, I somehow glossed over the fact that he was tagging @DublinSchools and others in the district.

I agree with what you said. Not ideal look, there.

Generally agree with all of this except the very last point. I'm not sure what the talent level the last few years has been at Jerome compared to when Pearson was there, but generally coaches that are a few games over .500 after four years aren't getting non-renewed unless there's something severely wrong with their handling of the program or their personal conduct...and it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

What's been described here and on Twitter between the administration and one specific parent is why many coaches don't stay anywhere for more than a few years anymore, regardless of what their record is. Coaches leave jobs because of bad administrations that kowtow to a minority of loud disgruntled parents.
I also think evaluating progress in terms of wins and losses (particularly in-conference) is sort of a crapshoot with the OCC (a generally tough super-conference) because of how often it changes over in alignment.

Would a coach find this job desirable if he does the research? I know that their resources have to be amazing, but this story, and the narrative of the previous coach (Pearson) are a bit troubling. I do realize there are two sides to every story. I have no connections with anyone, just reading what is out there.

I also think evaluating progress in terms of wins and losses (particularly in-conference) is sort of a crapshoot with the OCC (a generally tough super-conference) because of how often it changes over in alignment.

One thing I found interesting this year is that there were a number of long time coaches retiring (30+ years) that would be considered very successful coaches. Then I looked at some of their accolades - one had 35 years of coaching, 300+ games over .500 - but like 8 league titles, a handful of district titles and one final four appearance. I think what gets lost is exactly how HARD it is to win championships, whether it be league, sectional, district or regional, let alone State. Think about it - 300+ more wins than losses and 35 years in the business and you get to the final four once. It just isn't easy or a given.

Would a coach find this job desirable if he does the research? I know that their resources have to be amazing, but this story, and the narrative of the previous coach (Pearson) are a bit troubling. I do realize there are two sides to every story. I have no connections with anyone, just reading what is out there.

If someone truly does their research, are there many jobs in coaching that are truly desirable? The answer would be no way more times than yes.

The OCC is a really screwy league to follow from a distance due to the frequent realignments and individual districts redistricting or opening additional schools.

This would be a tough job on the basketball side because of what seems to be a tough place to coach. But I could see it getting a lot of applicants because of it being a big time D1 (talent, facilities, location, etc) and especially on the teacher side of things. The Dublin teacher pay scale would be better than most other schools.

Funny how things shaped up at Jerome. The current AD was previously the head basketball coach at Jerome before he transitioned into an admin career...

When the AD Job was open a few years back the Current HC (Beard) was on the interview committee that selected the Current AD...

Ah the Irony...

The OCC is a really screwy league to follow from a distance due to the frequent realignments and individual districts redistricting or opening additional schools.
Even in Central Ohio, it is very hard to really follow (and form a worthwhile understanding) of 'the league.'

I follow Lancaster a secondary team, and they were typically really easy to follow with the previous divisional alignment with them, the Pickerington's, Gahanna-Lincoln, Reynoldsburg and Grove City. OR... they were until the OCC just re-aligned. Sub GC out for Central Crossing, take Pick North out for Groveport, and take Gahanna out for Newark. Now, it's going to take at least another season to really get attuned into who all has got what, how the Gales (Lancaster) stacks up against them, and by then it'll already be realigned in 2024.

Just imagine how hard it is for folks in the Olentangy, Dublin, Hilliard, Westerville etc districts...

Funny how things shaped up at Jerome. The current AD was previously the head basketball coach at Jerome before he transitioned into an admin career...

When the AD Job was open a few years back the Current HC (Beard) was on the interview committee that selected the Current AD...

Ah the Irony...

School administration isn't a whole lot different than government - it's all politics and really screwed up and you better watch your back.