Dublin Coffman 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olentangy Orange -2 Berlin-

Davis the talented Soph QB for Orange is the real deal. Excellent footwork, timing and balance when throwing and can take off when it suits him, but he wants to do damage from the pocket. Brewster is an excellent athlete. who plays QB and can run it really well. Both teams aren't dominant up-front strength wise, but I think Berlin has a few more weapons and athletes. Berlin won 17-0 last year. They won't shut this team out this year, but they should be able to score enough to win the game if it goes a bit higher scoring. Only week two but Berlin a tad more desperate here .

Berlin 27 Orange 20

YOTW - 8 Worthington Kilbourne -

Cards are at home and are honoring alum Demetrius Stanley a former Buckeye WR and local media and as a health care consultant who died at 48 from cancer. YOTW embarrassed Beechcroft last season and Beechcroft with some good athletes returning took the Cards to the wire losing by a point. Kilbourne appears to be a bit down and got shut out by Watkins last week losing 21-0. Kilbourne got their doors blown off 38-0 last year at home vs. district rival YOTW. Game could be competitive for a bit but the Cards are may be the better program at this point, or at least going in the right direction.

Ye Olde Tommy W 23 Kilbourne 10

Week 0 is upon us in college football and a few plays have been posted here, and a few more that were played were. Season win total UMass OVER 1.5 as the program with the worst offense in the country last season will improve and the defense is not too bad. They play New Mexico State week 0 and I got 10 points, it's at about a TD now . Notre Dame -Navy series has been an over series and as I posted a while back the OVER 48 was ripe. These teams put up points readily against each other. The clock still running for most of the game now after first downs is a important rule changes no question, and it is supposed to rain, but the bottom line is ND with a big upgrade at QB should score near 40 here regardless. Both teams can't replicate each other's offenses in practice for obvious reasons. ND has better athletes and speed than Navy can simulate against each other, and Navy runs the unique flex like option scheme which ND scout team can't duplicate. This is one of the reasons this series has gone steadily over totals.

San Diego State is 23- 5 to the UNDER when it's lined as high as 49. They play Ohio and it's lined at 49 . Should be a slower tempo and a slugfest. Good competitive close match-up. Should stay lower scoring than this total

Last edited:
The aforementioned Coffman 2013 team getting trounced and hammered on a warm Saturday morning by a then run only C-Ville team in at Coffman stadium with only one offensive player who was an offensive guard back on offense, two starting LB's sat out that scrimmage and they got beat up pretty good. With those two guys sitting out, the defense only had a few back from the year before that morning. That inexperienced team grew up, they took their lumps, they were accepting of coaching, they didn't give up and they got better. They won 6 straight all must win games just to make the then 8 team play-off format. They then had to travel to Centerville week one of the play-offs a team that kicked their arse on that sunny warm Saturday August morning. I was there that Saturday and remembered thinking that the younger kids did well some reall y good players out there , but some weren't ready at that moment but there was potential.

They went out, blocked and tackled a thousand times better than they did that Saturday morning, forced some turnovers, got momentum and beat that same team that kicked their butt that Saturday morning 42-14. On the road. Tomorow night Centerville comes to Coffman stadium a year after beating up the Rocks in C-Ville , one year after the Rocks had a huge rebuild. Kids work hard to not be embarrassed. Especially a second time within a year. Last year in C-Ville wasn't a massacre in terms of snap for snap output, yardage and a brutal physical beating. The score suggest it was Men vs. Boys, but it wasn't. Not really. Rocks home opener in the heat has all the makings for a memorable night.

2015 Rocks went down to Fairfield and the Indians had more guys back, but Coffman was coming off a 2014 year where they went toe to toe with a very good Wayne team that lost to St Ed's in the final at the Shoe. Fairfield controlled the game and won pretty easily. They next year Fairfield with a few studs left over traveled to Coffman stadium and got beat in similar fashion as the Rocks did the year before. Obviously, I am not suggesting that the same type of payback is in the cards this year but I love parallels and I think some Rocks players who are viewed as less than as players in the matchup's this year will be rightfully confident in their ability to compete better and do better tomorrow.

Centerville - 5 Coffman

Centerville 23 Coffman 13

Got to see some film of Orange/WC and rewatch Berlin last week, Berlin definitely should win this game on paper. I didn't see much improvement at all in the Orange QB, looks largely the same as last year. Highly erratic and error prone, with moments of brilliance sprinkled in. Berlin has better skill kids for sure. WC wont win many more games this year and Orange was lucky to escape with a win, but that is a tough road trip to make.

On second look, Berlin's line actually wore Bradley down quite a bit in the second half and had them on the ropes in the 4th quarter. They just dug too deep a hole and didn't execute enough to get out of it, and ultimately paid the price for first half failures, including running multiple plays inside the 5 on 2 different drives and coming away with FG each time.

Which brings me to Bradley, Darby's lines should chew them up and spit them out. Bradley QB is actually pretty dangerous as a runner, and kept drives alive last week with fluke 3rd down scrambles a couple times. But their RB went out of the game with an injury and didn't return and there was nothing backing him up at all. I'm a heavy lean to Darby here, Bradleys lines completely fell apart in the 2nd half, and their only chance here is to get a big lead in the 1st half and hangon tight.

I expect Coffman will have little trouble with them later this season (or Orange) and Berlin is going to end up really regretting dropping that game last week.

Orange QB is still only a Soph and will get better. Bradley will keep chucking it and keep testing Darby athleticism. Should be close.

Pick Central -5. Wayne -

Last year Wayne win a slugfest 10-9, and that game showed some of PC’s limitations in terms of being a state title contender which is the standard this great program has set.

More points should be scored tonight . At least more than last years game . Wayne defense is a bit suspect from what I saw on film in last weeks game. PC isn’t loaded on offensively as I saw in the Coffman scrimmage but they have athletes who are quick , some have some shake and the Soph QB is talented but like most Soph’s consistency needs to be elevated.

Wayne QB is very good and will be a problem . Should be an entertaining game . Both teams have some big time D-1 guys but I think the difference in the game will be PC being a little better on Defense and a little more disciplined in a couple areas . Heat will be a factor although the temps won’t be as extreme as once feared the mugginess is as thick as Taffy . Who’s in better shape ? PC to cover the 5

PC 30 Wayne 23

Westerville South IB -10. Westy Central

Down 30-0 to Jerome was eye popping . Thought Jerome could beat them and picked them to by a scant margin but this was an overreaction type of situation .Is Jerome that good ? The Ibbies falling into rebuild ? Jerome is good . They put in the work. They have good players . They are well coached . The Ibbies didn’t give up and scored twice late .

Central made a couple games worth of mistakes losing to Westy Notth for the first time since the beginning of the Obama administration . Central isn’t the top dog in the district as they once were for a spell. I think both teams come out desperate and improved this week. 10 seems a bit heavy and I think WC will be a bit better on offense tonight and hang in .

WS IB 27 WC 23

Grove City -13 at Davidson-

Grove City looking for double revenge as it were, as there up-tempo passing attack led by nifty QB Papas was held to 10 total points in the two meetings. Davidson wasn't exactly a high-flying scoring machine themselves. They checked in with 24 total points. GC moved it well in game one doing everything but score and were very frustrated in game two in the play-offs as they were "Davidsoned" to death . We all know what that means of course. Both teams had very light lifting games as GC scored almost 60 in a 59-20 win and Davidson shut out West 56-0. You may have called that a no lifting today, rest until tomorrow type game.

GC laying this lumber at Davidson seems a bit off even as impressive as GC was and how good they could potentially be. Going to hope Davidson grinds with their stable of younger backs and keeps the clock moving. Much like Coffman does use the whole play clock and make the game move along like it's on a conveyor belt. Grove City to get the big win, but the Cats keep it closer

GC 24 Davidson 17

Glenville - 12 at Liberty -

Series history shows closer games, Liberty usually rounds into form later in the year, and they were down 28-3 before scoring twice near the end , once after an onside kick recovery and a long TD heave. Glenville opened in impressive fashion beating VA team Dinwiddie by 23. Glenville seems to be getting back at least closer to what they were, as they play all the way back in D-4 after being in D-1 at one point. Close call in a game I wouldn't touch with a book , but it's an interesting match-up no doubt. Back adn forth , but think the Tarblooders get a narrow cover here .

Glenville 30 Liberty 17

Dub Jerome CC’s -19 Burg

The Country Clubbers were very impressive in their beat down of the Ibbies of Westy South. Burg played hard from my accounts and it was a decent game for a bit vs. UA but the 29 point margin while not definitive shows some separation. UA used a new QB but also had a vet take some snaps., Coin flip ATS wise but I like Jerome this year . Think they like Coffman in the third year of a new regime and staff is getting it .

Jerome 34 Burg 12

Upper Arlington -21. Big Nut

UA is the better team obviously , but they cruised and have no real history with this program. Line appears a few points heavy . BW Crager is familiar with UA although only played Buttermore once . Pride , top end talent , not wanting to start 0-2? Big but UA is in year 4 of new regime ? Tough call. 21 is a big number . UA won’t be complacent but BW has a draw in the sand type game no question . Will play ballz out

UA 21 BW 10

Last edited:
Well, do I have a story to tell you’s…

I’ll get to it eventually (rushed to Kingy’s to beat the flock of area fans in/passing through NW Fairfield County), but suffice to say New Albany does have some problems that are going to put them looking at 5-5 at best… and Canal hasn’t proven much. There were some things I really did like seeing out of CW and other things that already lend heavily to skepticism that they will be generally competitive in Region 7 beyond week 11.

Canal 20
NA 14
OT. Just a bizarre game

A few Scores for you Harry!

Dublin Coffman 22 Centerville 14
Olentangy Berlin 31, Olentangy Orange 24
Glenville 34 Olentangy Liberty 10
Gahanna 34 Groveport 3
West North 42 Cent Crossing 21
Badin 10 Desales 6
Bloom-Carroll 28 Bishop Hartley 17
Olentangy 53 Medina 28
Dub Jerome 31 Reynoldsburg 13
TW 28 WK 9- Battle of Worthington
Hamilton Township 57, Lancaster 36

biggest surprise for me was Davidson finding their offense and blowing out GC.

The measuring stick game for the Rocks worked out well for them! Probably a bit of a surprise win there, and nice for central Ohio, who dominated NWO week 1 and now has some other big wins in other regions when you look at this Centerville game, plus PN over Elder last week, and Tangy blowing out Medina. Looking forward to seeing the replay of that one, I know the Stow team Medina faced last week was really bad, but I dont think anyone expected a blowout loss here. Guess we will have to see how good they really are rest of the way, but definitely time to pay attention to Tangy now as they are a shoe-in to extend to 5-0 prior to league play starting.

Really fun game between Berlin and Orange tonight, though both QBs tried to ruin it with several truly awful plays. Orange QB threw 3 INTs including a pk6, Berlin QB threw 2 INTs (one immediately following an Orange INT were they got the ball on the Orange 29) and then fumbled the ball on the 1yd line after a 15yd run while falling into the endzone for a sure TD. Both fan bases in for a long season of exciting plays mixed in with some real head-scratchers, Orange much more so, they basically play basketball on grass and try to lob it up to a pair of really tall receivers. Berlin was the more consistent team tonight, and should have won this game by double digits.

Minor surprise with Darby losing, Bradley was not that great last week, but I guess I should know better that Darby cannot play passing teams at all, its like cryptonite for them. Make the AW game and NWO look that much worse as time goes on, but will get an up close look at Darby soon. They better hang onto their buts in the Tangy game.

Fun season shaping up in COH, lots of good teams and finally having some good showing vs rest of the state.

A few Scores for you Harry!

Dublin Coffman 22 Centerville 14
Olentangy Berlin 31, Olentangy Orange 24
Glenville 34 Olentangy Liberty 10
Gahanna 34 Groveport 3
West North 42 Cent Crossing 21
Badin 10 Desales 6
Bloom-Carroll 28 Bishop Hartley 17
Olentangy 53 Medina 28
Dub Jerome 31 Reynoldsburg 13
TW 28 WK 9- Battle of Worthington
Hamilton Township 57, Lancaster 36
Big win for the Rocks!!

Really surprised and happy for the big Coffman win.
Centerville had a better team last year. This years team is solid, but last years team was loaded. If the starting qb didn't go down for Centerville last year would have been even better last year.

In last years game Coffman didn't even know who the starting qb was. They played both, they gave up a pick six, punt return for a TD, and a long kickoff return where the kid got tackled at the 9yd line. Add that they stalled in Centerville's territory 4 times with no pts, even when the game was tied and close and elected to not kick a pretty sure FG.

Coffman's defense is much better this year. And with the game at home this year, Coffman expected to win this game. This isn't your old Coffman teams, but they are much much better this year.

No surprise to the players, coaches, and parents who have knowledge.

Well, do I have a story to tell you’s…

I’ll get to it eventually (rushed to Kingy’s to beat the flock of area fans in/passing through NW Fairfield County), but suffice to say New Albany does have some problems that are going to put them looking at 5-5 at best… and Canal hasn’t proven much. There were some things I really did like seeing out of CW and other things that already lend heavily to skepticism that they will be generally competitive in Region 7 beyond week 11.

Canal 20
NA 14
OT. Just a bizarre game
So, this was a game where Canal scored a whopping zero points via offense through 4 quarters and a ‘green’ NA offense didn’t get on the board until ~7 minutes into the 4Q… only to later get a second one across on a 4th-and-goal with 40 seconds remaining.

With ~25 seconds remaining(?), Canal converted what I believe was their only downfield pass for more than a couple yards of the night on a wheel route that got them from about their 45 to NA’s 37, with a roughing the passer bringing the Indians to the Eagles’ 22-yard line. Left hash. Canal had zero timeouts prior to this play. 13 seconds left, Canal commits the most inexcusable communication breakdown / time management boner imaginable by attempting a ~3 yard deep out route to the near side, out of the gun (for reasons unknown) and eats a sack. OT.

Canal gets ball first, scores on their second play of the possession. PAT gets completely crapped up. NA is basically bricked into 3rd and long, and 4th and long; can’t convert to stay alive.

— — —

NA has some decent ball carriers and a generally athletic QB who can hit check downs on rollouts, and give his offense a chance to get something done. Any passes beyond 15 yards just have no zip and get stuck in the air. Their interior o-line had some legit issues for much of the game not just getting push but also getting off the ball on dives.

Canal’s RBs are good high school RB’s for OCC purposes. They do well. O-line isn’t bad. Canal’s defensive front is well-coached, has some depth and is talented. The problem that Canal has is they don’t look to have much of a downfield passing attack and their secondary needs some real improvement moving forward.

The term measuring stick game was being bandied about this week concerning this ballgame vs. Centerville, but after seeing it , I think while Centerville is good, I think next week and the big district rivalry game are just as big in terms of knowing what this team can do later in the season specifically November. Centerville wasn't as good this year and not as good as I expected to see. Two years ago this team was in a massive rebuild , off of Covid the younger players didn't develop as much during that shorter season and the workouts were limited. They also had less talent. They almost never got turnovers. They took care of the ball a majority of the time but only had barely over a handful of turnovers all year in 12 games.

Last year I saw improvement in the Pick Central scrimmage. Way better than the scrimmage I saw the year before vs. an also rebuilding Olentangy team. They have 15-16 starters back this year and improvement is obviously expected. They are better and as noted above the defense is better. One D-1 kid is on the unit and that kid is a Senior transfer from Westy North. The Rocks have a formula that includes being the tougher team as we know but they take care of the ball , play good special teams [So much better than two years ago} want to run the ball and limit the run on defense.

They did just that last night They ran for 185 yards, led by the QB Hart's 130 on 18 carries, they limited the running game of the Elks, limiting them to only 240 yards total offense . They got three turnovers. They took good care of the ball , adn their kicker is a stud. Schramm puts it in the end zone every time, and I heard he kicked a 60 yard FG in practice. They also have that one playmaker WR who reminds me of Marcus Davis in terms of his importance because they don't have that vintage Coffman stable of receivers and that 2011 team didn't either but Davis made a ton of difference making plays and was a MAC receiver. Hudson has a MAC offer. He is athletic and shifty and has a knack for making things happen when needed. He WANTS to be really good and it oozes out of him. So the kicker was doing his job , the defense had just given up a 30 something yard TD scamper and was down 14-13. They had gotten some turnovers and a few points off them. But mid 4th quarter down a point they needed to make a play. Hudson takes a quick pass and makes something happen to the tune of a 57 yard gain down to the 11. Hart hits Losey with a pass he takes a hit goes down and refs confer for a bit until the signal TD. Hudson is stopped on the two point try . Rocks get another turnover deeper in territory but frustratingly they go backwards a bit. Schramm had hit a 39 yarder and a 22 yarder including one that ended the first half to give the Rocks a 10-7 lead.

So they get to 4th and long and it's a 46 yarder to add to the margin with a couple minutes and change left. Schramm steps up and hits an absolute bullet that may have made it from close to 60 yards. Full stop . Crushed that sucker. He's a D-1 kicker. Ballgame.

May be the most impressive thing about the win aside from winning the TO battle , outgaining the Elks by almost 100 yards and holding them to 240 total yards was they did it without two O-Lineman who got hurt this week in practice Back-up Senior Matt Seaman making his first start and TE Werling moved down to play his first time on the O-line. Didn't miss a beat. That's the sign of a good team, a 'Tough " team. LB Charlie Mitchell was awesome with two picks and FC and thw whole defense played so hard and well. Really nice win. On to McKinley.

7-4-1 ATS vs. the Louie Line so a nice start at 15-7-2 after two weeks [68 percent} Jerome lost by a point ATS. Hartley probalby wasn't as good as the BW showed as BW is just an OK team it seems. UA rolls again beating BW up a bit in the process. Olentangy needs to be looked at a bit differently no question after hammering Median on the road. that was as impressive a win as there was. Pick Central got it down [A push for me , another one I thought I should have gotten lol} , so a nice night for CO in a few games no doubt.

Bradley with a chip on their shoulder this year it seems gets a huge win and they may be the team some including me thought they had a chance to be last year. Davidson in basically their first real game no disrespect to West , balled out and beat GC handily. The Schmidt boys al three were big contributors and this team will be a tough out possibly . Liberty was outclassed by Glenville. Scioto is in bad shape unfortunately and Watty is on the rise. Berlin takes care of business and has just a bit too much for Orange like we thought they may.

Doc let us know what happened in the NA-CW game and that line and Louie's market hadn't caught up to the rebuild of NA and was an easy cover for us. Jerome -Davidson game has become a lot more interesting after seeing what Davidson did to GC. Rocks take care of business next week and Jerome gets by Davidson? HUGE game that is very big in Dublin anyway becomes bigger. Rocks playing on the new turf for the first-time last night. Fast track . Week zero and college football has arrived.

Centerville had a better team last year. This years team is solid, but last years team was loaded. If the starting qb didn't go down for Centerville last year would have been even better last year.

In last years game Coffman didn't even know who the starting qb was. They played both, they gave up a pick six, punt return for a TD, and a long kickoff return where the kid got tackled at the 9yd line. Add that they stalled in Centerville's territory 4 times with no pts, even when the game was tied and close and elected to not kick a pretty sure FG.

Coffman's defense is much better this year. And with the game at home this year, Coffman expected to win this game. This isn't your old Coffman teams, but they are much much better this year.

No surprise to the players, coaches, and parents who have knowledge.
Centerville is not a good as last year. D lost some big players and lost playmakers on O.

Definitely agreed, it was a poor read on Centerville off a knee-jerk reaction to their week 1 game vs. a Lakota East team who came in with a lot of steam/hype with the Kitna coach/QB additions, in combination with their good team last year, but when you dont have any film its always hard to know. In the light of week 2, Lakota East is actually pretty bad, getting shut out 21-0 by Hamilton, so Centervilles week 1 win meant much less than most would have thought.

And I'm really not sure how much we learn about Coffman next week, as these McKinley teams have been a lot more bark than bite in recent years with their over zealous fan base. Understanding the country club game is a big rivalry and Jerome is decent, it may not be until the Davidson or UA games until we truly learn what sort of playoff possibilities can be expected from Coffman.

The way Tangys season is shaping up now, they have a legit shot at running the table. The only team I'm still unsure about how good they actually are is Jerome. Berlin/Orange/Darby all way too vulnerable to high powered passing to have any shot in those games. Whether or not any of that means they actually stack up against a team like Springfield, Wayne, or Coffman remains to be seen.

Centerville may be worse than last year but they are still going to win at least 6 games in what looks to be a down GWOC.

The floor for Coffman was always 8-2, and that was before the transfers. The ceiling is Regional Finalists if they can stay opposite Springfield in a very pedestrian Region 2.

Trust me, Scioto is a mess.

Watterson 42
Scioto 0
You were only partially correct? You forget the word "hot" in front of mess. Geez, my wife and i attended (we live down the street) and you were accurate. undisciplined, players, refs tried to help Scioto a ton (i would say 15 watterson penalties versus maybe 4 (mostly unsportsman like conduct) from DS. Watty did what it had to do though.

You were only partially correct? You forget the word "hot" in front of mess. Geez, my wife and i attended (we live down the street) and you were accurate. undisciplined, players, refs tried to help Scioto a ton (i would say 15 watterson penalties versus maybe 4 (mostly unsportsman like conduct) from DS. Watty did what it had to do though.
I thought it was interesting on 97.1 Fan Scoreboard Show (formerly on AM820) that the gang, when discussing the upcoming Berlin/Scioto game next week, actually shied away from the typical, baked-in overly charitable rhetoric discussing Scioto’s struggles that normally would’ve characterized it thickly through something along the lines of “we know Scioto has played a tough schedule, Grove City and Watterson are both ‘really good’.”

(I’m sure they legitimately feel Watterson is pretty good, and that’s defensible; that they feel Grove City is good — which is UNKNOWN.) But they didn’t apply that spin! They just basically said the quiet part aloud that it’s well-known Scioto has difficulties. They stopped themselves from literally saying “Scioto is bad” and basically got the point across in the simplest of innuendos any longtime listeners of the program could’ve picked the signal up immediately on.

This is nothing against Scioto, but they are much more closer to a City League team than they are an OCC squad. Any good players on the way up usually taken from other programs. Have mentioned this in separate threads, Dublin Schools has completely abandoned them, more than halfway abandoned Coffman, and now are all in on Jerome.

Westerville could have done the same thing with Central but instead decided to split the majority of their students from south of 270 to all three schools.

Both Worthingtons aren't very far from becoming glorified City League teams along with Scioto very soon. Just what happens in large metro areas.

This is nothing against Scioto, but they are much more closer to a City League team than they are an OCC squad. Any good players on the way up usually taken from other programs. Have mentioned this in separate threads, Dublin Schools has completely abandoned them, more than halfway abandoned Coffman, and now are all in on Jerome.

Westerville could have done the same thing with Central but instead decided to split the majority of their students from south of 270 to all three schools.

Both Worthingtons aren't very far from becoming glorified City League teams along with Scioto very soon. Just what happens in large metro areas.
Be interested to see if Dublin redistricts with how big Jerome is getting….scioto is struggling in a lot of their sports…I think the girls volleyball team is solid.

Be interested to see if Dublin redistricts with how big Jerome is getting….scioto is struggling in a lot of their sports…I think the girls volleyball team is solid.

Don’t think there’s a chance when they are just building on to Jerome.

Status
Not open for further replies.