Dover Basketball 2021-22

Dover keeps giving up sizable leads they twice gave up double digit leads last night,gave up a big lead to Lindsay and gave up a couple large leads to ISA. Typically leads like that for Dover is ball game.
The thing I try to keep in mind is that all but 1 of the varsity played football so they are a month behind most schools

Normandy beat Benedictine big I think 30 points. Dover won 63-34 and will play Normandy next. Beal out injured,anyone know how long he will be out?

Coming into the season, everyone would have been saying Benedictine would win this tournament.
Benedictine won 3 games last year and only has 1 player who has ever played varsity basketball. I don’t think anyone would have said they were better than Dover or Normandy.

Beal is out sick.

Dover invited the 3 worst teams in Cleveland to their tourney!!! ?
You have to remember, though, that Normandy demolished Dover in the Holiday Tournament the previous year, holding them to a mere 30 points. Even though Lakewood and Benedictine are genuinely horrendous, Normandy is a solid team that has implemented a drive-and-kick offense reminiscent of Dover’s rival Phila. Tonight’s game will be a test, and we will see if Dover has what it takes to stop a quick-paced offense. So far they’ve failed.

Dover will host Cambridge Tuesday,local paper says it is an ECOL game but I am pretty sure they left the ECOL as Dover did not play them in football and only plays them this 1 time in basketball

Dover will host Cambridge Tuesday,local paper says it is an ECOL game but I am pretty sure they left the ECOL as Dover did not play them in football and only plays them this 1 time in basketball

You are correct. Cambridge is in the Buckeye 8 now (with Martins Ferry, Indian Creek, Harrison Central, etc.). Currently the ECOL has just 4 (Dover, NP, Marietta, Warren) teams with NP leaving after this school year. I still can’t find any announcement that it’s disbanding with only Dover, Marietta, and Warren being members next year, but with the other teams not on Dover’s football schedule, I think this is the last year of the ECOL’s existence with the league not making much sense because of geography, competitiveness, and member numbers.

You are correct. Cambridge is in the Buckeye 8 now (with Martins Ferry, Indian Creek, Harrison Central, etc.). Currently the ECOL has just 4 (Dover, NP, Marietta, Warren) teams with NP leaving after this school year. I still can’t find any announcement that it’s disbanding with only Dover, Marietta, and Warren being members next year, but with the other teams not on Dover’s football schedule, I think this is the last year of the ECOL’s existence with the league not making much sense because of geography, competitiveness, and member numbers.
And that pretty much sums up the issues with the ECOL. Poor leadership with horrible lack of communication were huge factors that led to it's demise. It's a freaking shame because it was a strong league for a long time and could have thrived with good leadership.

And that pretty much sums up the issues with the ECOL. Poor leadership with horrible lack of communication were huge factors that led to it's demise. It's a freaking shame because it was a strong league for a long time and could have thrived with good leadership.

Agreed. I think the beginning of the end was Claymont leaving (see membership timeline):

I thought it was especially strong from 1997-2010.

Agreed. I think the beginning of the end was Claymont leaving (see membership timeline):

I thought it was especially strong from 1997-2010.

I also think the best setup was from 2005-2007 when the league was Dover, New Phila, Claymont, Indian Valley, Coshocton, River View, Cambridge, and Meadowbrook. That’s a perfect group as far as geography, competition, historical rivalries, etc. It’s a shame this group was so short lived.

I played in 1987 when the league started..took on some different looks over the years but absolutely should have been sustainable.

Wow a hearty congratulations to Dover on the 2004 state handball championship as noted on Wikipedia.

Dover cranks up the defense winning 48-18 giving up just 6 field goals 4 of which came with subs in. Reserves Game was very similar with Dover winning.
Wheeling park comes to Dover Saturday.

I also think the best setup was from 2005-2007 when the league was Dover, New Phila, Claymont, Indian Valley, Coshocton, River View, Cambridge, and Meadowbrook. That’s a perfect group as far as geography, competition, historical rivalries, etc. It’s a shame this group was so short lived.
If I recall correctly, Indian Valley was pushing for the ECOL to go to a big school/small school alignment. They wouldn't or couldn't at that time and IV left. If the league would have made that move when the Braves were still in the league, I think this league would still be intact in some form.

Instead, after IV left the league kept adding schools that just didn't quite fit.