Don Shula

clarkgriswold

Don Shula, one of the top coaches in the history of the NFL passed away today at the grand old age of 90. Shula had a local connection as he played at John Carroll, played for the Browns and grew up in the Painesville area. Always seemed like a classy top notch guy. RIP.

Don Shula, one of the top coaches in the history of the NFL passed away today at the grand old age of 90. Shula had a local connection as he played at John Carroll, played for the Browns and grew up in the Painesville area. Always seemed like a classy top notch guy. RIP.
I agree ... class act

Watched video of a reporter telling a story Shula had told him. He'd been having problems with players and curfew so he gave the hotel concierge a football and told him, any player he sees after midnight, ask him for his autograph. Next day on the bus Shula read the names and told them they were benched for the first half.

Watched video of a reporter telling a story Shula had told him. He'd been having problems with players and curfew so he gave the hotel concierge a football and told him, any player he sees after midnight, ask him for his autograph. Next day on the bus Shula read the names and told them they were benched for the first half.
Absolutely classic.

We lost a good one in Coach Shula. He was a John Carroll alum, and I was lucky enough to play basketball there in college. I have a letter from Coach Shula on Dolphins letterhead extolling the benefits of being a JCU Blue Streak. I'm sure it was a form letter to all recruits, but it meant a lot to me when I was a kid.