Do you view being a Politician as a career or a service?

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
In US History classes I took in grade school and high school I remember it being emphasized that serving an elected office was a privilege and a SERVICE. It was not meant to be a life time position. When you look at many of our forefoathers they served their terms in office and most of them then returned to their real jobs. If they were good politicians they may haveprovided guidance and counsel but they really did try to remove themselves and go back to their normal business.

Today we have career politicians and I believe that is why our system is beginning to crumble. Here is a perfect example. Cincnnati Mayor Cranley is finishing up his term limited position as Cincinnati Mayor. SO guess what he's doing, yup, running for Governor of Ohio. This is what's wrong, go back to a normal job Cranley. Quit living off the taxpayer is my opinion.

I am greatly looking forward to retirement at 62 latest, if not 59 1/2. For whatever reason these guys no matter how wealthy, can't stop at 62, or 67, 77, 87, or till death do us part. I can't wrap my head around it other than POWER must be so intoxicating it changes you. (God complex).

I am greatly looking forward to retirement at 62 latest, if not 59 1/2. For whatever reason these guys no matter how wealthy, can't stop at 62, or 67, 77, 87, or till death do us part. I can't wrap my head around it other than POWER must be so intoxicating it changes you. (God complex).
Scary we agree on something. :)

I agree with OldSoul, you should have had one more option:

1) Career
2) Service
3) Crime

The answer is number three, and not just at the federal level either.

I agree with MoeDude, in the beginning days of the U.S., you were asked to spend time working to better the lives of those you represented, and then return home, and let another replace you. It was never meant to be a career. These days, the day an office holder is sworn in, he starts planning his or her re-election. Term limits have proven to be just a small inconvenience, to the career trough feeder. One such, never had a real job, politico here in California, serves to his limit, then simply moves to another gerrymandered district and starts all over again. Years ago I watched a man spend $300,000.00 for an office that payed $22,500.00. What’s wrong with this picture.

Change "God complex" to "Devil complex" for better accuracy.

Some people may have good reasons to work past FRA, I'm not one of them either. I've really enjoyed the people I've met and experiences I've had, but I'm really looking forward to my FRA retirement this year.

I always wonder how a man/woman with modest means successfully running for congress, spends a few terms in the House, and then retires as a millionaire.

It SHOULD be a service, but it is a very lucrative career and that is the problem.

They will lie, cheat, steal, kill and do whatever it takes to get elected as they know they are on easy street after that.

I always wonder how a man/woman with modest means successfully running for congress, spends a few terms in the House, and then retires as a millionaire.
Effective networking with lobbyists. MoeDude's answer is the fastest technique in that realm.

Easiest yet - be like Mitch McConnell and marry rich and pretty.

Last edited:
Easiest yet - be like Mitch McConnell and marry rich and pretty.
Mitch Mcconnell GIF by moodman

In US History classes I took in grade school and high school I remember it being emphasized that serving an elected office was a privilege and a SERVICE. It was not meant to be a life time position. When you look at many of our forefoathers they served their terms in office and most of them then returned to their real jobs. .....

Looking at our forefathers, appears most once elected to a political office, were politicians till they died. Can't find a "Cincinnatus" among them.