DO BETTER/OHSAA PUPPETS

IMG_0515.png

I see that…the OHSAA receives grants. You’re right that a large portion of the revenue comes from ticket sales. But, the money that those grants are made up from does not come out of thin air. Who gives the OHSAA those grants? And where did they get the money for those grants? The financial statements that I read through show in 2021 they receive over $2 million. I assume they did not just add in a line item on the GL, nor was there an envelope on the OHSAA doorstep packed with millions. I’m going to guess it came from…TAXES!
That’s their PPP loan.

Their 2022 financial statement, so after PPP loans were all done, show a mere 25,000 in grants. So sure, I guess that could be tax money. But there’s no specification it’s a GOVERNMENT grant. It could be a grant from a charity, etc. even if it is a government grant, like I said, that’s a rounding error for a organization with 25 mil in revenue that same year.

I'm just going off what I have seen before. You may be right but the OHSAA will have to be ready to go to court and fight to prove it. For now, the girls are here to stay so I recommend everyone accept that and stop blaming them for every issue they see within the sport.
The "blame " is real not fictional, go ahead and tell me the why it's imperative to have the girls the same weekend? Fact #1. The fans are likely over 80% there for the boys tournament, want to compare numbers ? Go ahead give it a shot ;) . You will try to BS me and tell me the reason is financial, well then the solution is to separate them and give them their own tournament, with less than 25% of the fans and competitors. The ONLY reason people like you are pushing for it to remain, is you know da** well the interest isn't there otherwise. The "blame" is real. Trying to soak up the gravy of those fans there for the boys and play pretend it's the same .

Their 2022 financial statement, so after PPP loans were all done, show a mere 25,000 in grants. So sure, I guess that could be tax money. But there’s no specification it’s a GOVERNMENT grant. It could be a grant from a charity, etc. even if it is a government grant, like I said, that’s a rounding error for an organization with 25 mil in revenue that same year.
I’m done going back and forth with this. Go to the 2021 statement or bottom right of pg. 22 on the 2022 statement. It shows grant revenue was $2.5 mil and PPP was $1.6 mil in 2021. In the 2022 statement notes it says that PPP loan forgiveness was applied for and given. Yes, there was only $25k in grant revenue in 2022…likely because the OHSAA received over $3 mil the prior year (including PPP forgiveness).

Regardless of the finances and back to the point of this whole thread; the OHSAA has PLENTY of money in the bank, cash on hand, and expendable income to address these issues. I personally think that those who believe that the addition of girls is the root of these issues are completely wrong…both literally and morally. While the tournament may have gone downhill the last few years and had big issues this year, I believe they’ll get corrected. The girls add a whole new tournament and fans with it, setting new attendance records. While it may be worse now than previous years, we still have one of the best state tournaments in the country by a landslide…the girls are also high school student athletes that work their tails off to get there, and should be welcome to experience the same showcase the guys do. I was fortunate enough to qualify my senior year in 2003, and it’s something I remember clear as day and a memory I’ll forever cherish. Wish I did a little better though…won the first and got completely abused the following 2 by the guys who finished 3rd and 4th. It was ugly…

IMG_0517.png

Last edited:
Renting the Schott for a second weekend doesn't make financial sense. And before someone jumps down my throat, if the OHSAA failed to provide the same or similar accommodations for the girls a Title IX lawsuit is waiting in the wings.
How about the Covelli Center in Youngstown for the ladies? Great venue! They deserve their own event, ironically to grow.
They are doing themselves a disservice to their own product by trying to tag along with the boys. That is NOT knocking it, but is quite a bit different than boys as far as competition. Rudis wanted girls(VP has daughters in the game), made them an offer, which included a cash cow store 30 yards from bullpen, and boom. . .Deal signed. Now most families outside central district get home around 1am on a Monday morning for an extremely long and no longer special awards ceremony. Remember when 4xers got standing ovations and 3xers got cheered loudly? No more. That, and the stage, and Saturday night Finals were all $old.

Last edited:
The "blame " is real not fictional, go ahead and tell me the why it's imperative to have the girls the same weekend? Fact #1. The fans are likely over 80% there for the boys tournament, want to compare numbers ? Go ahead give it a shot ;) . You will try to BS me and tell me the reason is financial, well then the solution is to separate them and give them their own tournament, with less than 25% of the fans and competitors. The ONLY reason people like you are pushing for it to remain, is you know da** well the interest isn't there otherwise. The "blame" is real. Trying to soak up the gravy of those fans there for the boys and play pretend it's the same .
You really seem to be reading more into my reply than there is. I am not nearly as invested in this as you obviously are. The girls being the same weekend is a convenience thing for OHSAA. It really is that simple. The entire crux of my argument is that at least some of that schedule is also due to Title IX. As for attendance I would sure hope there are more people there for the boys than that girls since there are 3X more boys participating.

Last edited:
How about the Corelli Center in Youngstown for the ladies? Great venue! They deserve their own event, ironically to grow.
They are doing themselves a disservice to their own product by trying to tag along with the boys. That is NOT knocking it, but is quite a bit different than boys as far as competition. Rudis wanted girls(VP has daughters in the game), made them an offer, which included a cash cow store 30 yards from bullpen, and boom. . .Deal signed. Now most families outside central district get home around 1am on a Monday morning for an extremely long and no longer special awards ceremony. Remember when 4xers got standing ovations and 3xers got cheered loudly? No more. That, and the stage, and Saturday night Finals were all $old.
Covelli is a dump for a state tournament of high school magnitude. They have no where near the room either, they use smaller mats for JH, plus they have no place at all for warmups.

Sunday night finals is the dumbest thing OHSAA did to date. I mean One girl champ threw both her coaches in two different throws, how often we see that!

How about the Corelli Center in Youngstown for the ladies? Great venue! They deserve their own event, ironically to grow.
Saturday night finals are due to OSU not wanting the event to start on Thursday.

Waiting to get in the tournament was a joke ! waiting over an hour and then had to start weigh ins late. , when the information said kids could get in to check weight . I do think one wrestler missed weight by .2 due to this . We should not be waiting in line for an hour to get in for kids to check weight . Have weigh in be staggered and that will limit the line .

Why were weigh ins moved in a hallway rather than being in the warm up area ? That might have been the worst idea ever that I have seen !!!

Other than that it ran pretty smooth i thought

Waiting to get in the tournament was a joke ! waiting over an hour and then had to start weigh ins late. , when the information said kids could get in to check weight . I do think one wrestler missed weight by .2 due to this . We should not be waiting in line for an hour to get in for kids to check weight . Have weigh in be staggered and that will limit the line .

Why were weigh ins moved in a hallway rather than being in the warm up area ? That might have been the worst idea ever that I have seen !!!

Other than that it ran pretty smooth i thought
The kid didnt miss weight because he couldnt check his weight, he missed weight because he didnt manage his weight. 1/896 missed so you cant attribute not having a check scale to that.

When you go into Sectionals and you don't have your kids under weight shame on you. That's on parents coaches and the kid. It shows how much heart they have!! These people know what they need to weight don't blame the OHSAA for your misfortunes!! There way more kids that made it then not. Take responsibility for your actions not that hard!!