Division III State Semifinal: Chardon (14-0) vs West Holmes (14-0)

Who wins?

• Chardon by 17+

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Chardon by 8-16

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Chardon by 1-7

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • West Holmes by 1-7

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • West Holmes by 8-16

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • West Holmes by 17+

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Btw When did Hewitt get hired at Chardon?? I’d love to see the little things he and his staff do to motivate and prepare their players… coming from a background playing at the D1 level under Meyer, no doubt he took some nuggets from those experiences. Seems like a good dude to me I’ve heard he was a stud back in the day. Just curious

Btw When did Hewitt get hired at Chardon?? I’d love to see the little things he and his staff do to motivate and prepare their players… coming from a background playing at the D1 level under Meyer, no doubt he took some nuggets from those experiences. Seems like a good dude to me I’ve heard he was a stud back in the day. Just curious
Culture and work ethic are a thing. And the kids buy into it. Half time of the Canfield game there was a sign on the wall in the locker room/weight room that said “Everyone wants to be a beast … Until it’s time to do what real beasts do.” Chardon's JV and Freshman players read that sign, stripped off their shoulder pads and got in a lift. When they asked Hewitt about it his response was “We have to find opportunities for continuous improvement,” Hewitt said. “We have a rule in our weight room that you can’t sit down. Those guys were in the weight room, so they didn’t sit down. They got better. They got in a lift.
1637670546681.png

Little late to the thread after seeing Chardon vs Dover Friday, here is my assessment:

If WH has the QB play to throw the ball accurately, the receivers to reliably catch the ball and the O-line play to give the QB time, they should be able to move the ball. It has been posted somewhere that if Chardon has a weakness on D, it is their secondary. Dover had receivers open, but QB did not go through progressions-he would stare at 1 receiver and throw it. Plus underthrows on deep balls when his receiver had a step and a drop on what would have been a TD helped Chardon D shut Dover down.

Running the ball up the middle on Chardon is a task. They aren’t particularly big, but they are athletic, are quick of the snap and penetrate well. Dover had some success mixing in QB rollouts and designed runs to the outside. Chardon has pretty good team speed, but that was not what stood out. The discipline and D-line play is impressive. I think there were two penalties during the game.

The thing that got me was that Dover game should have been 17-10 with about 5 to play in the first half and it still felt like it was a butt-kicking.

Culture and work ethic are a thing. And the kids buy into it. Half time of the Canfield game there was a sign on the wall in the locker room/weight room that said “Everyone wants to be a beast … Until it’s time to do what real beasts do.” Chardon's JV and Freshman players read that sign, stripped off their shoulder pads and got in a lift. When they asked Hewitt about it his response was “We have to find opportunities for continuous improvement,” Hewitt said. “We have a rule in our weight room that you can’t sit down. Those guys were in the weight room, so they didn’t sit down. They got better. They got in a lift.
View attachment 23873

that’s some good stuff right there!!!

Little late to the thread after seeing Chardon vs Dover Friday, here is my assessment:

If WH has the QB play to throw the ball accurately, the receivers to reliably catch the ball and the O-line play to give the QB time, they should be able to move the ball. It has been posted somewhere that if Chardon has a weakness on D, it is their secondary. Dover had receivers open, but QB did not go through progressions-he would stare at 1 receiver and throw it. Plus underthrows on deep balls when his receiver had a step and a drop on what would have been a TD helped Chardon D shut Dover down.

Running the ball up the middle on Chardon is a task. They aren’t particularly big, but they are athletic, are quick of the snap and penetrate well. Dover had some success mixing in QB rollouts and designed runs to the outside. Chardon has pretty good team speed, but that was not what stood out. The discipline and D-line play is impressive. I think there were two penalties during the game.

The thing that got me was that Dover game should have been 17-10 with about 5 to play in the first half and it still felt like it was a butt-kicking.
Agree with you on a few things here, Dover and also Canfield could have made things more difficult on Chardon “if” they made routine plays. Plays that have to be made at this point in the season in order to compete and win. That’s said, both Dover and Canfield still lose by 2 scores minimum, IMO. I’ve watched Chardon all year and when a team gets a first down on Chardon, their fans cheer like they just scored a touchdown. That is the kind of respect Chardons D has earned. I wouldn’t call their secondary a weakness from a personnel perspective. Maybe by alignment, coverage but there are no kids in D3 that are better athletes in the secondary. And…..2 are Sophomore’s and 1 is a Junior. Scary!

Agree with you on a few things here, Dover and also Canfield could have made things more difficult on Chardon “if” they made routine plays. Plays that have to be made at this point in the season in order to compete and win. That’s said, both Dover and Canfield still lose by 2 scores minimum, IMO. I’ve watched Chardon all year and when a team gets a first down on Chardon, their fans cheer like they just scored a touchdown. That is the kind of respect Chardons D has earned. I wouldn’t call their secondary a weakness from a personnel perspective. Maybe by alignment, coverage but there are no kids in D3 that are better athletes in the secondary. And…..2 are Sophomore’s and 1 is a Junior. Scary!
Have to agree with @ColdWindBlows here … a lot of pass-first teams have come to Chardon and planned to throw all over the field, and the results speak for themselves. Glenville, Riverside, Ursuline (who had some success in the 2nd half), Kenston, Akron East all thought the same thing … we can thrown against this secondary. But they couldn’t.

I would actually say this is the best defensive backfield Chardon has fielded in a long time. They have raw speed, discipline, and a D1 caliber safety who is a ballhawk and can lay a big hit. And while the QB has their eyes downfield, they had better pay attention to Chardon’s pass rush.

Warren Harding has as good a football legacy as just about anybody in the state of Ohio. I'm not saying this to be critical but Lynn Bowden ended his career at Warren Harding - he didn't start it there. There are three high school football games that I have seen where one player "almost" single handedly won the game. Maurice Clarett vs. St. Ed's I forget the year. Kareem Hunt vs. Chardon in 2012. Lynn Bowden vs. Chardon in 2016 - which statistically was Chardon's best offense ever with no close second. Both teams punted once in that game. Bowden was ridiculous that night - even more ridiculous than Clarett and Hunt.

Have to agree with @ColdWindBlows here … a lot of pass-first teams have come to Chardon and planned to throw all over the field, and the results speak for themselves. Glenville, Riverside, Ursuline (who had some success in the 2nd half), Kenston, Akron East all thought the same thing … we can thrown against this secondary. But they couldn’t.

I would actually say this is the best defensive backfield Chardon has fielded in a long time. They have raw speed, discipline, and a D1 caliber safety who is a ballhawk and can lay a big hit. And while the QB has their eyes downfield, they had better pay attention to Chardon’s pass rush.
Chardon has 21 interceptions this year. I can't remember ever having that many picks om a season. Ursuline was scary when their kid got it going after Chardon had opened up a 33-7 lead - but no one else this year was. The corners are the best athletes on the team and their safeties are long, fast and also great athletes. They are all multi-sport kids and football may not be their best game. Sulka is headed to Youngstown State and was offered by Iowa State last year. Anyone who thinks the Hilltopper secondary is vulnerable based on five or six plays hasn't seen enough of them this year.

Chardon has 21 interceptions this year. I can't remember ever having that many picks om a season. Ursuline was scary when their kid got it going after Chardon had opened up a 33-7 lead - but no one else this year was. The corners are the best athletes on the team and their safeties are long, fast and also great athletes. They are all multi-sport kids and football may not be their best game. Sulka is headed to Youngstown State and was offered by Iowa State last year. Anyone who thinks the Hilltopper secondary is vulnerable based on five or six plays hasn't seen enough of them this year.
No I haven’t seen much of Chardon this year. But I saw opportunities for Dover; they didn’t capitalize. Chardon is good, very good. But they aren’t invulnerable.

Warren Harding has as good a football legacy as just about anybody in the state of Ohio. I'm not saying this to be critical but Lynn Bowden ended his career at Warren Harding - he didn't start it there. There are three high school football games that I have seen where one player "almost" single handedly won the game. Maurice Clarett vs. St. Ed's I forget the year. Kareem Hunt vs. Chardon in 2012. Lynn Bowden vs. Chardon in 2016 - which statistically was Chardon's best offense ever with no close second. Both teams punted once in that game. Bowden was ridiculous that night - even more ridiculous than Clarett and Hunt.

that is correct… Bowden started middle school in Boardman, then went to Liberty before transferring to Harding.

Ursuline’s QB does a good job moving Safety’s with his eyes… the one TD pass on the seam route against Chardon is a great example. Not many QB do that well in high school, though. 21 INT’s is crazy… I suspect a lot of that is from teams coming from behind. I saw in 1 interview the Sulka kid saying “ I was just reading his eyes” after a pick six this year. Him and #24 have good instincts and are long.

Nobody is invulnerable. But the Dover game came down to who could run the football and who could stop the run - like most games in northeast Ohio in November.
And you can’t score if you don’t have the football. 6,7,8 minute ball control drives are hugely important to Chardon’s last 2 victories … they score on the majority of their possessions, and limit how many opportunities the other team has. At Canfield (and yes, it was a home game for Canfield) Chardon was up 14-0 and Canfield had only run 3 plays and it was already the second quarter. That type of start to a game is demoralizing to an opponent.

They can run their quarterback, they can open up the offense and throw it all over the field or they can run it down your throat with Sam Williams Dixon or Brett sheer. If you take away one part of their game they’re going to exploit the part that you’re not taking away. Sam Williams Dixon is probably the best athlete to ever come through West Holmes. He has somewhere around 1500 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving. This is probably the best offense West Holmes has had in their history.
YOU NAILED IT. I LOOK FOR CHARDON TO WIN, BUT I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF THE KNIGHT'S MAKE A GAME OF IT.
WILLIAMS-DIXON IS A LOAD AND ONLY A SOPHMORE. WE WON'T KNOW UNTIL THIS WEEKEND. FRANKLY, I CAN'T WAIT.
Game Show Yes GIF by ABC Network

And get crushed? This shows how out of touch chardon fans are
And yet he is NOT another Chardon fan. I hope they put a running clock up. Just so all the not Chardon fans can come on here and throw it in your face. You’ve judged a community from day 1 based off comments from not Chardon people. 35-14 if it’s closer I’ll be here to give credit. A running clock could happen and I’ll be here to say F you and your judgement on us.

Much respect to the rest of the West Holmes community. We are 100% the same kind of people. It’s a shame a few or one can make the majority of us look like fools

And get crushed? This shows how out of touch chardon fans are
There are years that Chardon could definitely compete with Hoban. Our freshmen team lost to them last year in a game that was basically even. This year's freshmen were beating Ignatius and lost on a 4th and 15 Hail Mary in the last minute and then drove 60 yards in about 40 seconds to almost win it. When those two classes are seniors and juniors, the Hilltoppers will be able to compete with anybody in the state and not get embarrassed. We played Ed's four years in a row beating them once and losing the other three. 2 of the 3 losses were close games and one was a beat down. Chardon's only win over Ed's was a 27-0 win in 1998. Because some teams in our league have decided not to have freshmen teams, our freshmen have ended up scheduling Ed's, Hoban, Ignatius, Medina, Glenville, Fitch, etc., etc. over the past couple of years. There have been no blowouts and a couple of Chardon wins. Next year's varsity scheduling is even more of a nightmare. In any event, the reason that the Hilltoppers would not want to play these guys year in and year out is because we play with our own kids. Whatever the name of that factor is that the OHSAA uses to determine increase enrollment numbers for purposes of assigning teams to a certain division - Chardon's is zero; meaning we play with our own kids from our own community. They've grown up together and played together since youth football for the most part. I don't know who is or isn't a Chardon fan on here. All that I know is the Hilltoppers will show up in Twinsburg ready to go with an emphasis on violence, execution, and winning collisions. It's been that way for 40 years from the day that Bob Doyle was hired. There aren't many, if any, public schools that have a more consistent track record over a longer period of time. In any event, I'm sure that West Holmes will show up as well. They are 14-0 for a reason.

i havent seen wh play .i.m sure they are undefeated for a reason. ive watched chardon alot this year, i still dont know how good they are . the games i watched just seemed to get out of control fast and chardon took over. a five minute swing in each one decided the game . wh has to figure out how to get the ball away from chardon if they can it will be a great game, if not then not.