Division II Sweet 16

Leave it to NW people to blame the officiating for their loss ... they had a crappy game plan, and three of their best players played well below average games at the worst time of the year ...

What a game between Norton and Sheridan...triple OT...Norton thought they won it on a buzzer beater only to have it waived off (correctly)....have to think Alter is the favorite in the finals!

No personal stake in this game. Wife works in Norton and has many friends in Norton. Followed this a bit and its blowing up on my social media. Seen several pics of that buzzer shot. What is the connection between the clock on the scoreboard and the LED on the backboard, are they synched? I've seen two convincing images, one shows the clock hanging above the arena with .1 left and the ball clearly out of the shooters hand. The other is a video that I watched frame by frame which clearly shows the ball in the shooters had while the LED's on the backboard are illuminated. Where is the official time generated from? Is the scoreboard clock close to official time but just for show?
First, the replay is clear that the shot was late.

Next, the display boards should be synched with the light/horn.

However, as noted in a different thread there are delays and lag times between the main controller and the auxilary display boards. ( I have seen three different boards with three different times captured by camera) The official time is on the console at the table. Once the horn or red light is sounded or illuminated, time has expired (with the red light taking precedence over the horn........ that is by rule).

This could explain the discrepancy between the two pictures.

It was very close but I don't think the scoreboard clock means anything. I don't think any replay was really definitive; whatever they called on the floor should have stood IMO.
I don't know if you're saying that Norton's best 3 players played "well below average" in this game but I would beg to differ. I think Sheridan was the clear favorite coming in and I thought Norton played really well. However--they can blame one thing for the loss, and it wasn't the refs. It was their free throw shooting. Really tough way to lose but your best player, who played so hard and had such a great career, just can't go 4-10 from the line. Still, hats off to both teams for giving everyone a hell of a game to watch.

It was very close but I don't think the scoreboard clock means anything. I don't think any replay was really definitive; whatever they called on the floor should have stood IMO.
I don't know if you're saying that Norton's best 3 players played "well below average" in this game but I would beg to differ. I think Sheridan was the clear favorite coming in and I thought Norton played really well. However--they can blame one thing for the loss, and it wasn't the refs. It was their free throw shooting. Really tough way to lose but your best player, who played so hard and had such a great career, just can't go 4-10 from the line. Still, hats off to both teams for giving everyone a hell of a game to watch.
I think the replay is absolutely definitive. Shot was no good. Just curious about the lag time especially with todays technology - head scratcher that they cannot synch all the clocks to avoid confusion. The ball was in the shooters hand when the scoreboard lights were on and the scoreboard clock read zero. And Norton is in NE Ohio, so maybe that poster was talking about another game? Another point or stat in this game is the number of turnovers Norton had - I think the number was at least 16 turnovers. Also, think you are correct in pointing out that Norton as a team and individually played above themselves.

What a game between Norton and Sheridan...triple OT...Norton thought they won it on a buzzer beater only to have it waived off (correctly)....have to think Alter is the favorite in the finals!

No personal stake in this game. Wife works in Norton and has many friends in Norton. Followed this a bit and its blowing up on my social media. Seen several pics of that buzzer shot. What is the connection between the clock on the scoreboard and the LED on the backboard, are they synched? I've seen two convincing images, one shows the clock hanging above the arena with .1 left and the ball clearly out of the shooters hand. The other is a video that I watched frame by frame which clearly shows the ball in the shooters had while the LED's on the backboard are illuminated. Where is the official time generated from? Is the scoreboard clock close to official time but just for show?
The video I saw on social media was taken from under the basket where the shot was made. You can clearly see the clock and the LED on the backboard of the opposite backboard. At 0.00 the backboard lights up and the ball is still in the hands of the shooter. People want to try to make this a controversy but the semi finals and finals are literally the only 2 games all year where the officials can legally go to video review. Regardless of the other videos that may be out there, the video review that the officials looked at showed the ball still in the hands of the shooter.

If we want to be upset about something - the officials missed a clear travel call right before Sheridan turns the ball over on the attempted buzzer beater. Also - instead of an official definitively counting or waiving off the basket, the officials looked non-committal to making the call either way and almost seemed like they were just content on the fact that they could review the play....which is kind of disappointing for a state level official.

The video I saw on social media was taken from under the basket where the shot was made. You can clearly see the clock and the LED on the backboard of the opposite backboard. At 0.00 the backboard lights up and the ball is still in the hands of the shooter. People want to try to make this a controversy but the semi finals and finals are literally the only 2 games all year where the officials can legally go to video review. Regardless of the other videos that may be out there, the video review that the officials looked at showed the ball still in the hands of the shooter.

If we want to be upset about something - the officials missed a clear travel call right before Sheridan turns the ball over on the attempted buzzer beater. Also - instead of an official definitively counting or waiving off the basket, the officials looked non-committal to making the call either way and almost seemed like they were just content on the fact that they could review the play....which is kind of disappointing for a state level official.
Only the uninformed are making this a controversy. Super clear the shot was late. I think the biggest question here is with todays technology why cant all the clocks in the gym (official clock and aux clocks) be synched? Would avoid throngs of people thinking they have been cheated out of victory.

I think the officials can certainly be non committal on a buzzer beater - especially if they KNOW they have replay to count on. If you are unsure and can go to replay - why commit to anything?

If we want to be upset about something - the officials missed a clear travel call right before Sheridan turns the ball over on the attempted buzzer beater. Also - instead of an official definitively counting or waiving off the basket, the officials looked non-committal
I'm not trying to be upset, don't really have skin in the game but yes, they missed a travel and an over and back on that last Sheridan possession, but I think maybe it worked out in Norton's favor that they didn't call it and just got the turnover. Again, missed free throws were really the story but AWESOME game.

The final is a bloodbath and tough to watch….
As it turns out it looks like the defacto championship game was Alter (39) vs Granville (36) in the regional semi-final. IMHO if these two teams played 10 times, Granville would win 6 of them. But true champions must find a way to win the tough games. Alter did that and Granville came up short. Can't wait until next year.

As it turns out it looks like the defacto championship game was Alter (39) vs Granville (36) in the regional semi-final. IMHO if these two teams played 10 times, Granville would win 6 of them. But true champions must find a way to win the tough games. Alter did that and Granville came up short. Can't wait until next year.
This is 100% correct. Alter was the better team that night, but they were clearly the two best teams in the state. With Badin close behind them.

Only the uninformed are making this a controversy. Super clear the shot was late. I think the biggest question here is with todays technology why cant all the clocks in the gym (official clock and aux clocks) be synched? Would avoid throngs of people thinking they have been cheated out of victory.

I think the officials can certainly be non committal on a buzzer beater - especially if they KNOW they have replay to count on. If you are unsure and can go to replay - why commit to anything?
Review is supposed to be used to confirm or change a call made on the floor. Not determine what the call was. Not like it makes a difference I suppose, but in a high stress situation like a buzzer beater in the state semi-final, you'd like the officials to make a call one way or another, rather than give everyone the "deer in the headlights" look....I guarantee it was discussed with these officials in the locker room after the game with the state observers that were present.