Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Ursuline

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Shelby

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Maysville

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Don’t know anything about Ursuline or Maysville and not much about Shelby besides them having a top player in the state in Bruscotter (forgive my spelling) and this maybe being somewhat of an historic run for them…Alter or Lutheran West were originally the favorites for me but I have a feeling Shelby may want it more than Alter. Again don’t know anything about the other teams so both Alter and Shelby probably have their work cut out for them. This is the final 4 but with limited knowledge on the schools, something is telling me Shelby will be the D2 champs.

Shelby is tall. Every starter possesses good ball handling and driving abilities. Most every starter will knock down 3s. I think the team shoots around 37-38% as a whole from 3.

Shelby basketball is not historically strong. District titles in 67, 98, 21, and this season. Besides 2017 football, no boys team sport at Shelby has made a final 4. Not for lack of success (track has 3 state titles since 2003, and a likely 4th that got covid'd in 2020. Plenty of league titles in the trophy cabinet across all our sports). This season is the most tangible chance at a title since 2017.

Our losses came in December against OG at Lima and @ Lexington, both by 4pts. Three of our starters and the 6th/7th guys off the bench were playing until Week 13 of the football playoffs. It took until January for this team to solidify and get their basketball legs going.

The style is aggressive. Fastbreaks are exciting. Three guys can dunk and will happily do so on touchdown passes. Bruskotter is a problem that few have solved. Against OG, he scored the literal first 22-25 points for Shelby. The team offense is much more balanced since that game, but he always has that ability to drive, shoot, pass, or draw fouls.

This is Ursuline's first final four appearance in 30 years and Keith Gunther's first appearance as a coach in his 21 years as the head coach. They've had some very, very good teams over that span that ran into even better SVSM and VASJ teams in the regional, and a few that have been upset earlier than expected (like last year's 22-3 #1 seeded District Runner-Up team).

This year, Ursuline is very young, starting two Freshmen with another freshman and a sophomore in the primary rotation. Defensively, the Irish are looking to pressure teams non-stop, out of man and zone. They will be scrappy, crash the boards hard, and play extremely physical. They have good size and athleticism, but will be smaller than Alter. Offensively, it will be interesting to see them play against Alter's lengthy zone. Ursuline has shot very well and have stayed on the offensive glass this post-season. They are led in scoring by Senior post player Jayden Payne (Malone commit) and Freshman guard Jaylen Gunther.

Maysville will Not go away, but Not sure if they are good enough to make another miracle run !

When Alter plays well they are very tough to beat. The problem is they can be inconsistent at times.(turnovers, rebounding) Greer is a very smooth skilled player, pass, shoot (lights out) on open 3's. He is adept at creating his own shots. Every player can knock down threes. Good Height, strong defense. They have been fun to watch. Go Knights!

Maysville vs Shelby might be the highest scoring game of the weekend. Two teams who like to run & gun. Alex Bobb is in range as soon as the Panthers cross mid-court & averages around 27ppg. They don't have the height that Shelby has but that didn't hurt them much against Tri-Valley in either game & they range from 6'3-6'6 across all 7-8 players. Maysville absolutely can not dig another big hole like they did against Hartley & Warren, they need to come out fast from the tip if they want to have a chance at this one. Bruskotter is the real deal & the Panthers haven't seen anyone like him this season, so very interested to see how this game goes down.

As far as winning the whole thing, I think Alter's depth and experience take the championship for them.

Maysville vs Shelby might be the highest scoring game of the weekend. Two teams who like to run & gun. Alex Bobb is in range as soon as the Panthers cross mid-court & averages around 27ppg. They don't have the height that Shelby has but that didn't hurt them much against Tri-Valley in either game & they range from 6'3-6'6 across all 7-8 players. Maysville absolutely can not dig another big hole like they did against Hartley & Warren, they need to come out fast from the tip if they want to have a chance at this one. Bruskotter is the real deal & the Panthers haven't seen anyone like him this season, so very interested to see how this game goes down.

As far as winning the whole thing, I think Alter's depth and experience take the championship for them.
Alter has a stellular athetic history but Ursuline may have something to say about that...

Experience this late in the season can be crucial. Alter is the only of these four that have been here most recently...correct me if I'm mistaken. Take whatever you want from this but their point guard has played on this stage once before. Against a team that would be this alter team and the other 3 teams in the final 4 by 20+. Another thing is the Knights did this same exact thing 2 weeks ago, 1045am game @UD arena. Granted way now way bigger stage but that still plays a factor. From what I have heard Ursuline has some young guards. Will the stage be to big for them? Will they sink or swim? How will Ursuline do against the Alter zone after having a week to prepare for it. We shall see how these things play out soon.

Seems like alter has some nice size. Almost all of their bigs are juniors? Hard to simulate that size in practice. On the flip side it's usually hard to rebound out of zone. Ursuline does crash the boards well. Hoping for an Irish victory!

Experience this late in the season can be crucial. Alter is the only of these four that have been here most recently...correct me if I'm mistaken. Take whatever you want from this but their point guard has played on this stage once before. Against a team that would be this alter team and the other 3 teams in the final 4 by 20+. Another thing is the Knights did this same exact thing 2 weeks ago, 1045am game @UD arena. Granted way now way bigger stage but that still plays a factor. From what I have heard Ursuline has some young guards. Will the stage be to big for them? Will they sink or swim? How will Ursuline do against the Alter zone after having a week to prepare for it. We shall see how these things play out soon.
I sue hope that the word is spreading at Alter as to how young and inexperienced Ursuline is.

I sue hope that the word is spreading at Alter as to how young and inexperienced Ursuline is.
"From what I have heard Ursuline has some young guards" - quote from the original post
Does Ursuline not start 2 freshmen guards? Bud when did I ever say Ursuline was inexperienced? All I stated was that Alter has a guard that has been here and that I heard Ursuline has some young guards. You clearly misread what I said bud.

"From what I have heard Ursuline has some young guards" - quote from the original post
Does Ursuline not start 2 freshmen guards? Bud when did I ever say Ursuline was inexperienced? All I stated was that Alter has a guard that has been here and that I heard Ursuline has some young guards. You clearly misread what I said bud.
No. They start two freshman, one is a guard the other is a forward. The freshman off the bench is also a forward. The other two guards are junior point guard and Senior wing.

The locations of these regionals have been the same for a while. Are there any stats to show the strength of the region? Has more Final Four winners come from a certain region?

From cleveland.com:

Kettering Archbishop Alter (21-7) vs. Youngstown Ursuline (24-3)

When: 10:45 a.m. Saturday

Where: UD Arena

About the Knights: Expectations were high for Alter to make another run at Dayton, following an appearance in 2022. The Knights won their first seven games before stumbling in parts of January. They lost four of five at one point, but coach Eric Coulter considered that an important turning point for his team while mixing non-conference games with their Greater Catholic League Co-Ed Division schedule. “I feel like our league prepares us for this, said Coulter, whose team still finished 8-2 in the GCL. “Our league is always strong and represents well in the tournament.” They lost a regular-season finale to Dayton Chaminade-Julienne, which made last year’s state semifinals and handed Alter a heartbreaker in the regional finals along the way, but overcame it with this postseason run. That included a 63-36 win last week against an up-and-coming Cincinnati Wyoming in the regional finals. Four players scored in double figures for Alter, and that balance comes with a strong 3-point shooting ability. Coulter said Tuesday during the OHSAA coaches teleconference that four or five players in his rotation are a threat to connect from deep. Junior forward R.J. Greer has led them with 15.6 points per game, while Joe Brand and Gavin Leer also average double figures. Junior Charlie Uhl scored a game-high 14 points against Wyoming, which fell behind in the first quarter after three 3s by Uhl.

About the Fighting Irish: Ursuline also has balance, but with a much younger team. Coach Keith Gunther starts two freshmen, including son Jayden Gunther, who put up 24 points to lead Ursuline past Villa Angela-St. Joseph in the regional semifinals at the Canton Memorial Fieldhouse. The freshman guard followed that up with 16 points in a 60-35 win Saturday last week vs. Canfield for the Irish’s first regional title since 1994. “I’m shocked at how young we are and how we jelled,” coach Keith Gunther said. “I’ve been fortunate to have a group of guys who bought into what our culture is.” That culture is defense, which came as a reminder this season after a loss to Austintown Fitch. “We tried to outscore them and I told the kids that’s not our program,” Gunther said. “After the Fitch loss, our kids bought into a defensive mindset. We feel if we can play well defensively, it’s just the main focal point of our program. It always has been.” They like to play man to man defense but will mix it up, depending on matchups. In addition to his son in the backcourt, junior point guard Da’Shaun Will and 6-6 senior forward Jayden Payne are among their top playmakers. Payne is a Malone University recruit, averaging 16 points and 12 rebounds per game.

Shelby (25-2) vs. Zanesville Maysville (25-3)

When: 2 p.m. Saturday
Where: UD Arena

About Whippets: Shelby is dancing in Dayton for the first time in program history. The school had not made it to the regional finals since 1957, but changed with some big wins. The Whippets beat Lexington, ranked third in the state, for a district title. They then turned around to beat Lima Shawnee in the regional semifinals before last weekend’s comeback vs. Lutheran West. The Longhorns had a 37-29 lead late in the third quarter before Shelby’s zone defense, a strategy in which coach Greg Gallaway wanted to limit Lutheran West guards from attacking the basket, ultimately won out. The Longhorns went cold with their outside shooting, while Mr. Basketball finalist Alex Bruskotter and Co. chipped away at the difference. Bruskotter scored 27 points and shot 15 of 16 from the free-throw line, as he and his team took control in front of a sea of red and gray at Bowling Green’s Stroh Center. “We have a small tight knit community here in Shelby,” Gallaway said this week. “Our support has been amazing this year.” A 6-7 senior guard, Bruskotter is a Wright State commit, so he will be spending plenty of time in the Dayton area after this weekend. He averaged 23.8 points and 9.1 rebounds with 5.9 assists to lead the Whippets, who should be considered a favorite this weekend in a balanced field.

About the Panthers: A buzzer-beater in the regional finals vs. Columbus Bishop Hartley propelled Maysville, which has won 20 straight since an early January loss to Malvern. That Malvern team finished the regular season as the state’s only undefeated team. Since then, the Panthers have leaned on 6-1 senior Alex Bobb, who averaged 26.3 points out of the East District. He hit that buzzer-beater vs. Hartley that made ESPN SportsCenter’s top plays the next day. It also capped a double-digit comeback for Maysville, which then rallied by 15 points down at halftime in the regional finals vs. Vincent Warren. “We’ve kind of been a second-half team all season,” coach Dave Brown said. “We told our team, ‘No regrets.’” They won their school’s first regional title since 1971 and did it after a 24-2 record last season. Brown is starting three sophomores this time and has six on his varsity roster. One of them, 6-4 Jordyn Watson, scored all 18 of his points in the second half of a 72-64 win Saturday last week at Ohio University. Like Shelby, expect a big supporting crowd to pack UD Arena for this one. “They really got us going in the regional semifinal and regional final,” Brown said. “It’s a blue-collar community. I couldn’t be happier, not being a Zanesville guy, for this community.”

How to watch: All games will be available to watch on OHSAA.tv and listen on the OHSAA Radio Network. Games on Friday will be available on Spectrum News, while Saturday and Sunday games will be on Spectrum News 1.

State championship: 5:15 p.m. Sunday

The NE Ohio region in D2 appears to have been way down. It makes sense with STVM and Hoban being pushed up to D1, Lutheran West being sent out west and some of the kids that might have previously gone to VASJ now playing at Richmond Heights and Lutheran East.

The NE Ohio region in D2 appears to have been way down. It makes sense with STVM and Hoban being pushed up to D1, Lutheran West being sent out west and some of the kids that might have previously gone to VASJ now playing at Richmond Heights and Lutheran East.
Buchtel won it all coming out there last year but yeah its usually not one of the better regions

I'm pretty sure Lutheran West chose to go to the BG Regional.....