• Archbishop Alter by 1-7

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Archbishop Alter by 8-16

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Archbishop Alter by 17+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think this game will be closer than people think. Alters has a great defense and good offense. Both teams have played tough teams, thus the losses they both had. However, neither team has been blown out
Alter, has played the #1 D1V and DIII teams this year and I expect a good game Saturday
Agreed Alters schedule is a huge plus. It wont be as big (maybe none at all) a shock factor that South and Perkins had to deal with.

I think Glenville is the odds on favorite but if Alter can keep possession and keep churning out 3 - 4 yard gains out of the bone they can pull off the upset. Hoping it’s a good game and hoping Alter can pull of the upset.
Does Alter run an offense similar to Hilliard Davidson? One where they churn out 3-4 yards per carry and control the clock? Waiting for you to be undisciplined in your gaps and then it's off to the races. If so and they can pass as well, that will severely limit Glenville's possessions in this game. If Glenville has any hiccups with penalties or turnovers then it's a ballgame. They will be pressured to score on every possession. Hilliard beat Glenville for a D-1 title back around 2008 didn't they? Could be a template for success. Go find that game film.

No argument that Glenville will be the best team they have played this year(I would’ve liked to see Glenville and hamilton Badin or Trotwood Madison play though). Idc about the debate of if they should be DIV or not at this point . They are here and it’s irrelevant
For this game . Wyoming was very good last year but their schedule was really weak and the CHL is typically not that strong . They played 2 teams during the regular season with a winning record .
If Alter can slow the game down and limit possessions for Glenville there’s a shot. If it turns into a shootout that obviously plays in Glenvilles favor.
100%. Alter needs to grind out possessions. Going to require almost perfect execution to stay ahead of the sticks. But, yeah -- if they can cut possessions down that obviously favors them.

I was considering Badin and Trotwood when I made that statement, but their playoff performance was disappointing. So, whatever.

And --- YES -- Glenville is d4 -- like it or hate it, I'm pretty sure they ain't changing Alter's matchup. Heh. That's who they play. Gotta beat them.

I would not take the beat down of Steubenville as an indicator - I don't think they were very good. The difference in this game is Jones. I don't think he can be stopped or even slowed down. Like I said in the past, he is like trying to tackle a small automobile. I expect a fired up and focused Glenville team that is playing to become back to back champs. They will be awfully hard to beat.

Looking for the knights to grind out positions with the bone and spread. The Jones/Connor run game has been hard to stop. And the receivers have been making plays. As great as this defense has played thus far my biggest question mark is how they will fare against this Glenville team. In the past Alter has always struggled with passing teams. If Glenville slings it on them, there’s no doubt they have the better athletes. Our DL and LBs will have to get home and make some plays.

Looking for the knights to grind out positions with the bone and spread. The Jones/Connor run game has been hard to stop. And the receivers have been making plays. As great as this defense has played thus far my biggest question mark is how they will fare against this Glenville team. In the past Alter has always struggled with passing teams. If Glenville slings it on them, there’s no doubt they have the better athletes. Our DL and LBs will have to get home and make some plays.
What kind of offense does Alter run?

What's the size of Alters lines? That's where Glenville has been dominate. Their massive O line and Jones running the ball has been practically unstoppable the playoffs. The upthread description of a small automobile is accurate. In the past Glenville on O would outathlete you. Now they just beat you up.
Another thing I just realized a few days ago. Glenville has nobody that plays both ways the entire game. Jones said he played LB against Perkins, but usually the Tarblooders have fresh bodies. If Alter's strength is running the ball I believe that plays right into Glenville hands.
But Alter's D that has given up a whopping 9 points in the playoffs sounds like the real deal. I don't care that Big Red imploded. Shutting them out by 48 is nothing to sneeze at. According to Joe Eitel Boardman in 2001 was the last to do that.

I believe a majority of the DIV followers believed that Glenville would run away with this division. That group would include myself as well. I also didn't expect Alter to seemingly have everything fall into place at the right time either. The Knights win over Steubenville was eye opening. Alter has now allowed a total of only 9 points these playoffs, including 3 shutouts in 5 games. I expect this game to be close throughout. Glenville will be challenged by the assignment football it requires to compete with Alter's wishbone attack. I think Glenville's lack of a kicking game could also be their undoing this week. I'll still give the edge to Glenville, but would not be surprised to see Alter win this game either. I'll go with:

Alter 28
Glenville 26

What's the size of Alters lines? That's where Glenville has been dominate. Their massive O line and Jones running the ball has been practically unstoppable the playoffs. The upthread description of a small automobile is accurate. In the past Glenville on O would outathlete you. Now they just beat you up.
Another thing I just realized a few days ago. Glenville has nobody that plays both ways the entire game. Jones said he played LB against Perkins, but usually the Tarblooders have fresh bodies. If Alter's strength is running the ball I believe that plays right into Glenville hands.
But Alter's D that has given up a whopping 9 points in the playoffs sounds like the real deal. I don't care that Big Red imploded. Shutting them out by 48 is nothing to sneeze at. According to Joe Eitel Boardman in 2001 was the last to do that.
Alter's O line i would say is a average of 260. I don't know about the D line. My kid graduated in 2018, so I don't have a roster.

I may be mistaken but I believe a running back fumbled in one of the playoff games as well.
Alter's O line i would say is a average of 260. I don't know about the D line. My kid graduated in 2018, so I don't have a roster.
Alters Dline is substantially lower than the 260 pound average of the offensive line but I couldn’t give you the exact numbers. They do rotate a few to keep guys fresh and as far as I know not one player goes both ways.

I believe a majority of the DIV followers believed that Glenville would run away with this division. That group would include myself as well. I also didn't expect Alter to seemingly have everything fall into place at the right time either. The Knights win over Steubenville was eye opening. Alter has now allowed a total of only 9 points these playoffs, including 3 shutouts in 5 games. I expect this game to be close throughout. Glenville will be challenged by the assignment football it requires to compete with Alter's wishbone attack. I think Glenville's lack of a kicking game could also be their undoing this week. I'll still give the edge to Glenville, but would not be surprised to see Alter win this game either. I'll go with:

Alter 28
Glenville 26
I disagree with the assignment football part of this. That's been the knock on Glenville. Unable to play assignment football. Granted, they have their fair share of unsportsmanlike and pre snap penalties, but I don't recall any huge blown assignments or kids out there freelancing. They had a blown coverage for a Canton South TD, but I would say overall that was an anomaly instead of the norm.
Now I'm not gonna lie and state I've watched a lot of Glenville, but the times I've seen this ' misdirection will confuse them' is just fallacy

I may be mistaken but I believe a running back fumbled in one of the playoff games as well.

Alters Dline is substantially lower than the 260 pound average of the offensive line but I couldn’t give you the exact numbers. They do rotate a few to keep guys fresh and as far as I know not one player goes both ways.
Alter's D Line I believe has an average weight of only 210. They have one bigger guy but the rest are around 190-205. They make up for their weight with speed and technique.

Alter's D Line I believe has an average weight of only 210. They have one bigger guy but the rest are around 190-205. They make up for their weight with speed and technique.
DLine is definitely a weakness for them, #28 and #11 are just ok at the DE spot. I think Glenville could expose Alter's stout defense. I hope I am wrong Go Knights!

Alter - big o line. Small d line. However, the d line plays off blocks and run well. The games I saw against massie and Wyoming, no one could block LBs as the d line required a lot of attention. I think they are very good but massie and Wyoming o lines were not overly large. As for the alter offense. They were not in the typical alter wishbone very much at all. They seemed to get their explosive plays from the spread. It was very effective in both games. I remember alter as a wishbone, option based team from back in the day. They definitely are NOT that anymore.

DLine is definitely a weakness for them, #28 and #11 are just ok at the DE spot. I think Glenville could expose Alter's stout defense. I hope I am wrong Go Knights!
That's funny you say that considering #28 is second in tackles on the team and #9 is fourth in tackles. The rest of the d line is very skilled and get off blocks well. I think they bail out their secondary quite a bit with their pass rush. At times it seems like all teams can do is pass the ball...

Alter - big o line. Small d line. However, the d line plays off blocks and run well. The games I saw against massie and Wyoming, no one could block LBs as the d line required a lot of attention. I think they are very good but massie and Wyoming o lines were not overly large. As for the alter offense. They were not in the typical alter wishbone very much at all. They seemed to get their explosive plays from the spread. It was very effective in both games. I remember alter as a wishbone, option based team from back in the day. They definitely are NOT that anymore.
Alter's most dynamic teams and offenses mix in the spread. It just requires a certain QB to implement it, and the skill players to help. But some of their state championship teams ran the spread as well. I used to always say, the best Alter teams get out of the wishbone at times and spread you out. Those are their best offenses.

Difference in the game will be the athleticism of Glenville and the power running of Jones. He just wears you out to the point where you don't want to tackle him anymore. He is a punishing runner.

So here's my rundown on the game. Glenville has some stars and decent size. I would compare them size wise to Badin who Alter loss to by less than a touchdown. There speed is electric and is comparable to Trotwood who Alter also loss than less than a touchdown. (Glenville is faster). But Glenville has many flaws. Watching some YouTube on them i see many players taking plays off. I see that they get too cocky with their athleticism. And they seem pretty sloppy at times. Thats the opposite of Alter. In the GCL its tough no plays off mentality that all GCL teams play, Co-Ed and even the big schools. Thats why so many are successful. Even though these kids are from "rich kid" Alter i see a very "blue collar" attitude this year. They have no crazy recruits and they just mean business. The passion on the field is electric. I believe all GCL Co-Ed sees this and will have Alter's back. Its been Alter vs. the World all year and the goes to especially this week. I take (Alter 28 - Glenville 14) [We don't need a Ginn Academy]

Difference in the game will be the athleticism of Glenville and the power running of Jones. He just wears you out to the point where you don't want to tackle him anymore. He is a punishing runner.
I agree, after watching some clips on Youtube, you can see that these players are deathly afraid of the Jones train. 500 yards or something absurd like that is nothing to sneeze at.

I agree, after watching some clips on Youtube, you can see that these players are deathly afraid of the Jones train. 500 yards or something absurd like that is nothing to sneeze at.
Alter has faced this type of runner. That CJ running back. I forgot his name and number. I believe he was 5'11 230 something. I don't think Alter will struggle with him.