• Hoban by 9-16

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Hoban by 17+

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate Moore has a staff of FOOTBALL coaches who go to clinics, innovate and genuinely could go coach anywhere from middle school to the college level. Hoban coaches are good guys but probably could only coach at a place like Hoban (Tyrell excluded). Now to be fair, I more or less felt the same way last week versus Avon. But the difference is that Nate Moore believes he can win, where Elder didn’t think he could.

A good friend of mine is on Hoban's coaching staff and he has been successful everywhere he went. I have several friends that coach and the main thing that I want for all of them is to be part of an enviornment that shares the same level of passionfor the game as they do. Iron sharpens iron and schools like Hoban, St. Eds, Kirtland, MAC schools, prime Iggy under Coach Kyle, etc. have created atmospheres that promote growth & hard work, which is a key ingredient in achieving & sustaining long term success.

Massillon has done the same and as I mentioned in a previous post, Coach Moore isn't satisfied with winning 10+ games a season and coming up short. Many schools settle for being where they are amongst the big dogs, but the Tigers want in on the action and I greatly respect that.

This "Hoban underdog" talk is a bit absurd. Two factors (irrespective of these specific teams):
- Hoban always seems to dial it up a notch or two against Massillon. Look at their honks on here. Massillon -- more than any other -- is the team they want to beat. They play accordingly.
- Massillon (much as it pains to say this) always seems to crap the bed a bit against Hoban. They play tentatively, on their heels. They let Hoban dictate on both sides of the ball.

Will Thursday be different? Ask me Thursday night.

With all this Hoban underdog talk I expect the strength coach to go full Ric Flair/Ninja Warrior Friday night. If so, I hope someone gets it out on YouTube. I need a good hard laugh from time to time.
With GA seating for the game it will be a very early arriving crowd so all eyes will be there to witness any shenanigans lol

This "Hoban underdog" talk is a bit absurd. Two factors (irrespective of these specific teams):
- Hoban always seems to dial it up a notch or two against Massillon. Look at their honks on here. Massillon -- more than any other -- is the team they want to beat. They play accordingly.
- Massillon (much as it pains to say this) always seems to crap the bed a bit against Hoban. They play tentatively, on their heels. They let Hoban dictate on both sides of the ball.

We've got to come out aggressive early, not reckless, but aggressive. That sets the tone for the evening and sends the message that we're playing to win and most importantly we Believe that we will win. We've just got to break some of the tendencies that Hoban is preparing for and if we can do that, mixed in with well timed shots that we can hit on, we're in great shape. If we come out and just play the field position game with the hope to keep it close late, we're going to be tight and it will favor Hoban late. Again I'm not advocating reckless, I'm saying let's be aggressive and set the tone early. We've got dynamic athletes on both sides of the ball, let's take full advantage of that and allow them to make plays to win us the game. Live and die by the sword, but let's swing our sword. Go Tigers!

Makes me wonder if the coaches at Hoban out gameplan ours.

They won in 2019

I agree, Hoban being the underdog is a bit absurd. At worst, the teams are even. Hoban has the decided edge in college caliber talent.

Here is how I honestly view the previous 4 playoff games between Massillon and Hoban.

2018) The first championship game, Hoban benefitted from Massillon having to play without their best player. Thomas was an all Ohio linebacker and the schools career leading rusher. It isn't crazy to think if he plays, he greatly impacts that game. Does it change the outcome, maybe, maybe not.

2019) Hoban played with their best player hobbled. He did still play, but he wasn't 100%. Does a healthy Trayanum change the outcome? Maybe, maybe not.

2020) Hoban was decidedly better.

2022) Hoban was the better team with the best player. Massillon was too concerned about Sperling, and they let guys get behind them early and often.

2023) ????

They didn’t win in the last 50+ years and that’s a fact. Worth arguing though is that they might have more than 24 from the poll era if there was a tournament. They were quite dominant in the day. They had 7 poll championships in a row in the late 40s early 50s. Of which one of those guys I know. Pushing 90 and still exercising. They may have won less had there been a championship, but they may have won more.
Finally, someone that gets it. The Tigers may be going for number 25 Thursday, but could/should be going for more like number 40 between getting the short end of the stick both pre-1972 and throughout the last 50 years.

Finally, someone that gets it. The Tigers may be going for number 25 Thursday, but could/should be going for more like number 40 between getting the short end of the stick both pre-1972 and throughout the last 50 years.
It’s simple objectivity.

Since I’m not a Massillon homer, I’m just a troll to many of them. TBH I do like to troll the homers though!

Their sideline is a poopshow… not necessarily the team/staff, but the “others.”

The amount of “we” statements about the football team on this board is breathtaking.
Gotta hand it to them, there’s some serious fandom over there. People are flying in from really far away to see this… that’s pretty cool.

The poll titles are legit. What else are you gonna do about that?

I don’t give a rip about whether a kid transfers there or not… or how he got there. I used to and then I had kids. I kinda get it now.

Massillon’s program is attractive to kids and parents. Great. Massillon might even pull some strings to get a kid they want to become a Tiger. Great.

Programs that want to be great do things like that. Don’t know too many successful teams that don’t have kids from outside attracted to the program. Good for them. I’d be proud of that too.

A lot of money has been sunk into that program to get #25 and I consider it a badge of honor that my alma mater has also made it more than once to the state championship with a football budget missing the extra zeroes found in Massillon’s football budget.

The amount of swag that seems to be desired and prioritized makes me enjoy when basic teams with one helmet, one pair of pants and home/away jerseys give them a run for their money. (Marion Harding, Medina Freaking Highland).

The Swing Band, the tradition, the good hearted and knowledgeable fans are the best… fun to find those folks in public and talk football.

Hoping to see them win, and hoping to pile on if they lose. In both cases they deserve it.

It’s simple objectivity.

Since I’m not a Massillon homer, I’m just a troll to many of them. TBH I do like to troll the homers though!

The amount of “we” statements about the football team on this board is breathtaking.
Gotta hand it to them, there’s some serious fandom over there. People are flying in from really far away to see this… that’s pretty cool.

I don’t give a rip about whether a kid transfers there or not… or how he got there. I used to and then I had kids. I kinda get it now.

Massillon’s program is attractive to kids and parents. Great. Massillon might even pull some strings to get a kid they want to become a Tiger. Great.

Programs that want to be great do things like that. Don’t know too many successful teams that don’t have kids from outside attracted to the program. Good for them. I’d be proud of that too.

A lot of money has been sunk into that program to get #25 and I consider it a badge of honor that my alma mater has also made it more than once to the state championship with a football budget missing the extra zeroes found in Massillon’s football budget.

The amount of swag that seems to be desired and prioritized makes me enjoy when basic teams with one helmet, one pair of pants and home/away jerseys give them a run for their money. (Marion Harding, Medina Freaking Highland).

The Swing Band, the tradition, the good hearted and knowledgeable fans are the best… fun to find those folks in public and talk football.

Hoping to see them win, and hoping to pile on if they lose. In both cases they deserve it.
very classy post Perry. From the very bottom of my heart, go Perry Panther Wrestling! My nephew is an assistant coach my other nephew is a middle school coach. The Bavery Brothers. I miss my sister very much. She'd be stoked for Massillon

Last edited:
very classy post Perry. From the very bottom of my heart, go Perry Panther Wrestling! My nephew is an assistant coach my other nephew is a middle school coach. The Bavery Brothers. I miss my sister very much. She'd be stoked for Massillon
Will be rooting on for Massillon tomorrow!!

If Massillon doesn't win this year with what many are saying is their best in years, it will be tough for the fan base to swallow. Don't underestimate the negativity.

It’s simple objectivity.

Nobody cares

If Massillon doesn't win this year with what many are saying is their best in years, it will be tough for the fan base to swallow. Don't underestimate the negativity.
This is true, but one cannot take away the fact that the Tigers are Ohio's winningest program and the fact that they have 24 state championships. Nobody else has that many.

Interviewss on ESPN 990 (streaming on espn990.com)

Wednesday
12:15 Broc Dial, Dalton D7
12:30 Nate Moore, Massillon D2
12:45 Tim Tyrrell, Hoban D2
1:03 Bob Grecewich, Perry D5
1:15 Casey Mohler, Liberty Center D5

Thursday
12:30 Ted Ginn, Glenville D4
12:45 Tom Lombardo. St. Edward D1

Note: The Moore and Tyrrell interviews will replay Thursday during the pregame show, probably between 5:50-6:30 pm

Been preaching this for years.
You can’t deny that the more kids you have to chose from the more talent you will have. A school with 200 boys is rarely if ever going to compete with schools having 500+ boys. It’s simply a numbers game. Of course there are some terrible large school teams that a good D4 or D5 school could defeat, but that’s the exception.

Of course Massillon will get Hobans best effort. But, that’s every game every week thing. Goes for Hoban also. The bigger the schools profile and relevance generally means their opponents will all step it up a notch.

I ain't saying much this week I learned my lesson over the years lol. I will say this game comes down to Massillon's offensive line vs Hoban defensive line bottom line if we can handle their DL we have a great chance at winning. GO TIGERS!

Same here. This will take our BEST effort of the season, including Ed. The 2nd best or 3rd best won't cut it. If both teams do that I like our odds. It is the unfortunate call, the turnover, injury, or lucky bounce, that you can never account for. So I ain't saying chit this week either just keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Nate Moore has a staff of FOOTBALL coaches who go to clinics, innovate and genuinely could go coach anywhere from middle school to the college level. Hoban coaches are good guys but probably could only coach at a place like Hoban (Tyrell excluded). Now to be fair, I more or less felt the same way last week versus Avon. But the difference is that Nate Moore believes he can win, where Elder didn’t think he could.
One of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read on this site, and that’s a high bar.

Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

You can’t deny that the more kids you have to chose from the more talent you will have. A school with 200 boys is rarely if ever going to compete with schools having 500+ boys. It’s simply a numbers game. Of course there are some terrible large school teams that a good D4 or D5 school could defeat, but that’s the exception.

Being from the Mahoning Valley, nobody will ever convince me that Hilliard Davidson would've beaten Cardinal Mooney in 2006 or 2009. I've been very vocal about that over the years and at first, fans outside of the area (mainly from Central & Southwest Ohio) didn't want to hear about a smaller school knocking off a D1 until they saw La Salle breakthrough and start competing in the GCL. Ironically, that trend was started by Coach Nate Moore, who has Massillon playing arguably the best football in their program's history. So much so, they have back-to-back wins over Ohio's '22 Division I champ that's favored to repeat this week.

Having more boys can be an advantage, but it isn't nearly as important as the mentality & qualities that you instill into the ones that you have. The "Moore Effect" doesn't sound so "ironic" after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.