DIV 1: Hilliard Davidson -vs- Cincinnati Elder

Mr.Bill, pantherdad, and luke where are you guys? how were the refs?
\

No idea how the refs were because i didn't go to the game. I had a meeting tonight for work, but my Son went to the game. He called me at halftime and said Elder was playing boomball and HD was controlling the game. The better team won from what my Son told me after the game was over!

Great season for the Panthers...They have nothing to hang their heads about!!!

lol ....I didn't think Elder was all that good..pretty much a one trick pony......maybe if they had moved the game to Elder's backyard at the last minute and hired the fattest refs in the league, they would have had a chance. But HEY...I'n not bitter!!!

That "one trick pony" whooped the 'creeks -----!!! Go step on some grapes!

Uhhh....Beavercreek and Elder are probably pretty darn close in distance to Princeton, so the "backyard" quote is wrong, Son!

Last edited:
"One trick pony" my butt! Elder crushed Beavercreek. The fact is the Panthers made the final 4 in D1 soccer which is a great achievement! It's also a fact that the level of competition at this stage is so intense, even great teams can lose.

So congratulations Elder, you exceeded expectations and won a very strong region 4.

"One trick pony" my butt! Elder crushed Beavercreek. The fact is the Panthers made the final 4 in D1 soccer which is a great achievement! It's also a fact that the level of competition at this stage is so intense, even great teams can lose.

So congratulations Elder, you exceeded expectations and won a very strong region 4.

3-2...wow..what a "crush" and Elder IS a one trick pony..without Meyer ..who is a great player and had a great game...Elder loses the game to creek 2-0..But they DID have Meyer and they won dispite a BS field change from Dayton to Cincy at the last minute in Elders favor and the crappiest refs in history (as conceded by everyone..having said this Elder is to be congratulated..Meyer and Corbett has carried them further than they should have gone

CreekAlum-You know why the field was changed, don't you? Because it makes better sense to have 1 team drive to Cincy, than have 2 teams that are less than 20 miles apart drive to Cincy.

Because it makes better sense to have 1 team drive to Cincy, than have 2 teams that are less than 20 miles apart drive to Cincy.

Of course it makes sense, but when has the OHSAA ever made sense. Riddle me this Gview, why did OHSAA make Alter and Carroll both drive to Cincinnati (@ Sycamore), and have McNick and Watterson play in Centerville (which is much closer to Carroll and Alter), when both Watterson aan McNick are basically off of I-71, which Sycamore is just off of?

It was a good game, Davidson started off very sloppy but slowly gained full control of this game, Elder had their chances but just couldn't finish. Congrats to Elder on reaching this game.

Man, friday night is going to be the best moment of my life

Hilliard Davidson has some studs on that team. They controlled the air. It sucks that it was snowing a little and was very windy. Elder only had a few throw-ins against the wind. But Hilliard won everythig in the midfield. Elder had some early chances. Hilliard's first goal was kind of slow rolling...don't know what happened. Elder came out strong in the second half, hit a free kick of the crossbar in the first minute. Controlled alot of the second half when they actually started to string some passes together. Hilliard scored off a counter and then a header off a corner to put the game away. Elder missed 3 easy chances in the second half. Elder didn't play too well tonight. Congrats to Hilliard Davidson, best team I've seen all year. #3,10, and 11 are studs.

I will say that for being in the final four, HD didn't bring many fans. About 300 Elder students showed up and about another 200 adults. HD might of brought only 100 fans. Kind of disappointed in the Columbus support.

Refs were pretty good tonight, no complaints. Center ref was actually the best I've seen all year. He let the kids play and made the right and necessary calls.

Great season Elder. Knocked off two undefeated, ranked opponents and made it the farthest Elder has ever been.

lol ....I didn't think Elder was all that good..pretty much a one trick pony......maybe if they had moved the game to Elder's backyard at the last minute and hired the fattest refs in the league, they would have had a chance. But HEY...I'n not bitter!!!

One trick pony? they knocked off two undefeated teams in a row, both top 5 teams in the state?

someones a little mad their team lost and didn't make it to state?:shrug:

It IS funny how many sour grapes circulate around this arena.

The better team won tonight. Refs were OK. No big misses tonight, as in previous matches.

#11, #3, and #8 on Davidson... Wow. Nice playin' boys. Lots o'boom ball outta my Panthers. What beat Mason and B'Creeek could not beat H.D.

FYI... #11 on HD... Wow. One more time... Wow.

#11, #3, and #8 on Davidson... Wow. Nice playin' boys. Lots o'boom ball outta my Panthers. What beat Mason and B'Creeek could not beat H.D.

FYI... #11 on HD... Wow. One more time... Wow.

Colby(#3) and Sean(#10) have always been our work horses, but Jon(#11) has really really stepped up for our team this year. His ball skills are very good and he loves takin on defenders.

...but Jon(#11) has really really stepped up for our team this year. His ball skills are very good and he loves takin on defenders.

This was very obvious. He was strong and quick and could make the turn on the defenders near the end line.

On his 2nd goal, he ran 1/4 of the field unmarked and tucked away the crossing pass. Why the Panthers let him go and/or how they lost track of him during his run is beyond me.

I think Davidson's experience from last year really paid off here. It's really hard to win state titles (or even get to the title game) without some previous experience in the later rounds.

Good luck to the 'Cats on Friday! I wish it was Saturday, so I could get into town for it, but oh well. I find it odd that the boys DI final isn't on Saturday night. They should have the boys DIII and girls DII games on Friday.

Hilliard Davidson 3 Elder 0: Davidson puts brakes on close calls

Hilliard Davidson 3 Elder 0
Davidson puts brakes on close calls
Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:32 AM
By Jeff Thitoff

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
CEDARVILLE, Ohio -- After a run of close playoff games, Hilliard Davidson needed a chance to catch its breath. In a Division I boys soccer semifinal last night, Davidson did just that and used a suffocating offense in a 3-0 win over Cincinnati Elder.

Jon Reasoner had two goals and Colby Catlett a goal and an assist, and Davidson (18-2-2) advanced to play Sylvania Northview or Massillon Jackson on Friday in Crew Stadium. Davidson took 11 shots on goal and limited Elder to three.

"They were pushing up and trying to counterattack, and it left their defense exposed and we were able to take advantage," Catlett said. "The last two or three games have been crunch time the last few minutes. It's a lot better feeling being up 3-0 in the last five minutes,"

Reasoner started the scoring when he took a pass from Sean Ryan late in the first half and put the ball past goalkeeper David Hurley.

Cincinnati Elder had an opportunity to tie the score early in the second half when Anthony Meyer fed Miles Lacey with a perfect pass, but Lacey's shot missed wide right.

Reasoner made it 2-0 near the midway point of the second half when Catlett penetrated, saw Hurley charging and placed the ball for Reasoner, who easily scored.

"Colby made a great run … and there was a wide open net," Reasoner said. "If I missed that one, I was going to be killing myself for the next week."

Elder (18-4) continued to try to force the action to get back in the game. Meyer missed a header with 11 minutes remaining, and less than a minute later a shot by Steve Schaefer was deflected by Davidson goalie Steven Fitzpatrick. With 6:30 left, Fitzpatrick deflected another Meyer attempt.

This time last year, an offensive stalwart such as Meyer might have forced Davidson coach Terry Smith to make a change defensively, but he resisted last night. Meyer entered the game with 26 goals and 12 assists.

"A year ago, we made changes in games or against certain players or in certain situations, but all season we have (done) what we've always done," Smith said. "We're not out here trying to find their best player. We're not going to do anything different on Friday -- just go out there and execute and try to win it."

The last goal came in the 76th minute when Jeremiah Detmer hit a free kick from 30 yards that Catlett was able to head in past Hurley.

jthitoff@dispatch.com

I think Davidson's experience from last year really paid off here. It's really hard to win state titles (or even get to the title game) without some previous experience in the later rounds.

Elder was regional runner-up to Fairfiled, the eventual state runner-up, in 2006. Elder had the experience; they just didn't have the better team last night.

"...it left their defense exposed and we were able to take advantage," Catlett said.

Maybe. But the three goals had nothing to do with Elder pushing up or worrying about counter-attacking.

From what I hear Elder could have used their defenders from last year. Congrats to HD and congrats to Elder on another great season and representing the GCL well!

The D1 State Football playoffs are Saturday nights. Alot of high schools are using soccer plays now in the kicking game. If Davidson can get a win Friday night Colby Catlett will end up with 2 Ohio D1 State Championship rings. Let go cats.

Last edited:
The D1 State Football playoffs are Saturday nights. Alot of high schools are using soccer plays now in the kicking game.
Good point. I noticed that the DII boys final is on Saturday to avoid any potential conflicts with the DII football playoffs, which are played on Fridays.

Elder was regional runner-up to Fairfiled, the eventual state runner-up, in 2006. Elder had the experience; they just didn't have the better team last night.
Did Elder have a lot of guys on this year's team who played in the regional final last year? I think Davidson brought back almost the entire team from last year.

That really didn't answer my question. Let me ask it a different way. How many senior starters did Elder have on last year's team?

I assume you mean, how many of this year's senior starters were on Varsity last year? If so:

Hurley - GK
Corbett #3 (4th yr on Varsity)
Lacey #4
Kreidenweis #2 (4th yr on Varsity)
Meyer #10 (4th yr on Varsity)
Doran #6
Bertke #5
Gramke #7

Not sure if ALL these guys started this year, but... you get the picture.

Also with experience:
Hice #17 (3rd yr on Varsity, Junior this year)
Schaefer #12 (2nd yr on Varsity, Junior this year)

Almost certain that both of these guys started this year.

The other 10 players were playing their first year of Varsity this year. Of those 10, five of them are non-seniors. In all, and if I have my numbers right, seven Panthers will/could return to Varsity next year.

And yes a 4 year starter would of made a difference in this game. But unfortunately he was hurt and Hilliard moves on. Stuff like this happens.

Alright i'm guessing nobody else noticed this but to me and the rest of our team it's hilarious.

Colby Catlett (#3) and Sean Ryan (#10) are very close friends who are both huge competitors. They will do almost anything to 1+ eachother. I remember during fitness week the constant bickering over who was running better, who won this race and all sorts of stuff

When we took the team picture at the beginning of the season something was wrong with Sean in the picture, so the photographer tried to photoshop a new picture of Sean onto his body. When we got the picture and were about to send it to the AD and the people who made our programs we realized a huge error. The photographer accidently put Colby's head onto Sean's body. It was soo funny to everyone on the team.

SOOOOO.....
I was looking at the program from the game last night after i got home and saw that the originel team photo that featured the 2 Colby's had somehow made its way onto the State Semi Final program.

If you got a program take a look at the HD pic. if not or you weren't there have a look here.

85yqy3o.jpg