Defiance College To Move Back To NAIA...Leaves NCAA D III

DC is struggling all the way around. It wouldn't surprise me if they have to close their doors in the not to distant future. IIRC, they lost part of their accreditation so perhaps they were going to get bounced from the NCAA. I simply don't know but this could be a real PITA for the members of their league. Many small colleges fell on hard times during the pandemic and haven't been able to rally.

This is surprising news, but shouldn't it be on the College Football forum?

what is the benefit of switching from D3 to NAIA? doesn’t seem much different to me.
I think the eligibility rules for a school are a lot less stringent in the NAIA. If a school doesn't have good accreditation or loses the good one they did have (Defiance?) I think they can still play in NAIA as long as the doors are open, and they are making a legitimate attempt to educate students.

I'd like to see a lot of D-1A schools drop back down to D-1AA where they belong (I know the names changed years ago. I don't use them. Pretending they are all D-1A in football is ludicrous.)

Half the teams in D-1A now, aren't really of that caliber. Everyone chasing the TV money. IDK where major college football is going, but I sure don't like the direction I see.

EDIT: This is from the linked article:

"(NAIA - CE) Schools must meet membership criteria that include financial stability, sports sponsorship, accreditation, and a commitment to character-driven athletics. Athletics facilities, enrollment numbers, retention rates, and overall financial commitment to athletics are also taken into consideration."

Also from the article:

"The NAIA has now added 21 new members since 2020, including five institutions that have come from the NCAA"

^Possibly fall out from Covid and struggling schools are moving down? - CE

From the NAIA website:

NAIA vs NCAA​

NAIA: The Right Choice for You​

When it comes to collegiate athletics associations, how do you know which is the best fit for your institution? It comes down to priorities. If your school wants to be nationally competitive at a reasonable price, while driving enrollment and supporting the school’s bottom line, the NAIA is the best association for you.
NAIA schools measure success not just by game scores, but by their financial bottom lines, too. Their NCAA counterparts spend an average of 60 percent more on athletics.

See the Difference​

The numbers show that NAIA member schools are maximizing their Return on Athletics®​

$2MM
NAIA athletics departments spend $2MM less than NCAA peers.

$4.0MM
Average athletics
department net return

$10,500
Average net return
per student-athlete

Average NAIA member sponsors
17 sports

94%
NAIA athletics departments
produce a positive net
return for their institution.

Last edited:
i was under the impression this was the HS football forum
I posted under the impression that Yappi would either delete the thread or move it to the College Football Forum. He went through a final scores thread this past week and deleted the extraneous posts, including a response I made to someone else. I don't start these threads in the wrong place, but I do comment if I see one I feel like replying to. Thread is already there, or else the "damage" by a post in wrong forum has already been done.

Last edited:
I watched Defiance play Mount Union this year, hard to gauge a team when you play them, but looks like they have not had a winning season since 2006, so they aint doing so swell in the HCAC conference at least in Football.

what is the benefit of switching from D3 to NAIA? doesn’t seem much different to me.
As with most things if you don't know why then 98% chance it is due to money. In some way this is saving Defiance money and it is widely know that they are having money problems.

i knew that, but that doesn’t seem like it would solve a money problem
trick kids into being "a scholarship athlete" with a small, small "scholarship" but the kids are still paying more to attend. Say that tuition is $30k, but we just love you so much and you are such a great athlete here's $10k, school is still pocketing $20k. Gotta guarantee those first semester payments

Defiance has like 500 students, every shekel counts

I watched Defiance play Mount Union this year, hard to gauge a team when you play them, but looks like they have not had a winning season since 2006, so they aint doing so swell in the HCAC conference at least in Football.

They're on the upswing. 2-2, 1-0 in league, and the 2nd loss was by a touchdown after a questionable call late and they ran out of time.

trick kids into being "a scholarship athlete" with a small, small "scholarship" but the kids are still paying more to attend. Say that tuition is $30k, but we just love you so much and you are such a great athlete here's $10k, school is still pocketing $20k. Gotta guarantee those first semester payments

Defiance has like 500 students, every shekel counts

Yep. Expensive, private school losing enrollment. Their ONLY way to fix their financial problems and attract students is through sports.

So you offer partial scholarships to kids who otherwise get nothing, and suddenly if they can bring in even $20,000-25,000 of their normal $35,000 tuition, they've made some money for each student they wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

I also wonder, assuming they can get into the Wolverine-Hoosier (not a given considering it's already got 12 teams) if travel would be easier. Instead of trips to Terre Haute, Cincinnati, and Lexington, KY now, the longest trip in the WHAC is Grand Rapids, with schools in Lima, Sylvania, Adrian, and Fort Wayne being there. Net difference may not be much, but every dime helps.

I also wonder, assuming they can get into the Wolverine-Hoosier (not a given considering it's already got 12 teams) if travel would be easier. Instead of trips to Terre Haute, Cincinnati, and Lexington, KY now, the longest trip in the WHAC is Grand Rapids, with schools in Lima, Sylvania, Adrian, and Fort Wayne being there. Net difference may not be much, but every dime helps.
it sounds like its a done deal that they're going to join the WHAC, but hasn't been announced yet.

Football could be an issue. WHAC doesn't have it, only 4 schools in the conference have it, and the league that would make the most sense for Defiance already has 12 teams.

it sounds like its a done deal that they're going to join the WHAC, but hasn't been announced yet.

Football could be an issue. WHAC doesn't have it, only 4 schools in the conference have it, and the league that would make the most sense for Defiance already has 12 teams.

I'm wondering if the Mid State is still an option with them essentially calling their divisions "leagues."

If so I can't wait to see them rolled by a national powerhouse like St. Francis on a yearly basis 😂

I'm wondering if the Mid State is still an option with them essentially calling their divisions "leagues."

If so I can't wait to see them rolled by a national powerhouse like St. Francis on a yearly basis 😂
Per release from DC, will join WHAC for all sports except football. Will join Mid States for football.

trick kids into being "a scholarship athlete" with a small, small "scholarship" but the kids are still paying more to attend. Say that tuition is $30k, but we just love you so much and you are such a great athlete here's $10k, school is still pocketing $20k. Gotta guarantee those first semester payments.

Defiance has like 500 students, every shekel counts.
I wonder if they only offer partials scholarships, or is there sometimes a player that a coach just "has to have"? Wouldn't seem like they have the kind of football program where they actively recruit, but if they offer even partials, I guess their coaches must have SOME sort of list of players that they want.