Dayton area lacrosse....

SOCII

Although Dayton area lacrosse is still catching up in terms of development with Cincinnati and Columbus, it is growing at a rapid pace.

Who are the top players in the Dayton Area (regardless of division) to watch this season? :shrug:

My list:

O'Neil - Dayton
Hume - Springboro
Lindhardt - Lebanon
Hopkins and Luebbe - Centerville
Marker - Alter

Torpey from Centerville is definitely on the list as well and may be the best player in Dayton period.

Centerville also has two other very talented players in Dickey and Kiger

I belive O'Neal now plays for Alter instead of Dayton

Matt Garrett from Springboro probably belong in this group as well

Billy Lindhart from Lebanon

One of Lebanon's poles named Hugo (do not know the last name is very good as well but not near as good as the other three you mentioned

I think you hit all of the top kids right there.

Not sure about Hugo though

Matt Weber may belong in here too

My starters would be

Attack
Garrett
O'Neil
Weber

Middie
Torpey
Hume
Carmen

Defense
Luebbe
Hopkins
Marker

Goalie
Lindhart

I am sure their are some sleepers out there and I cannot wait to see who they are

I doubt there is any debate over the Centerville D-Poles as being on the "Dayton Area Elite" list....

For Torpey, Weber, Dickey, Carmen, and Kiger (The Centerville Attack / Middies Listed in the posts) - they will need to get some more offensive productivity out of them to be proven with some of the others....

No doubt Torpey is tough, but spent a good deal of last season injured.

The others have the benefit of playing on a team that holds most teams to a few goals.... Not sure stats justify putting them on the list just yet....

Again, no doubt the "D" at C-Ville is tough, but not sure the offense deserves the same recognition yet. Time will tell....

I think you will be plesantly surprised this year by th Elks offense

They have been playing in leagues against the Cincinnati D1 teams and are putting up a bunch of points

8 of them played on summer travel teams and it shows. weber with the Riot, Luebbe and Torpey with The Velocity Elite and Dickey, Hopkins, Kiger, Ely and Orr on the Celtic team

They went 4-0 at OSU 7V7 and 4-0 at the Meoller 7V7.

BUt you are right. They still need to prove it on the field.

I commend you, as an Elks Fan, for your honest appraisal. I am sure they are getting better each year. Also, keep in mind that 7v7 is usually not the best real indication of what full field (and actual varsity teams will do - many D1 teams don't send all their starters like CVille did to these tourneys, its more whoever wants to play in them)

No doubt C-Ville will be tough this season.... but we will know in a few weeks

I doubt there is any debate over the Centerville D-Poles as being on the "Dayton Area Elite" list....

For Torpey, Weber, Dickey, Carmen, and Kiger (The Centerville Attack / Middies Listed in the posts) - they will need to get some more offensive productivity out of them to be proven with some of the others....

No doubt Torpey is tough, but spent a good deal of last season injured.

The others have the benefit of playing on a team that holds most teams to a few goals.... Not sure stats justify putting them on the list just yet....

Again, no doubt the "D" at C-Ville is tough, but not sure the offense deserves the same recognition yet. Time will tell....

You feeling any better about the Centerville offense now that they have played a couple of games? The offseason work by their top kids seems to have created more flow and continuity.

On another front, to give Torpey credit. He played through a lot of pain with a back injury last year in both football and lacrosse. It is amazing he played the first half of the season. He has always been an amazing athlete and is a great team leader.

I'll concede for now on the Elks. Centerville has figured out its offense and appears to be quite tough! My prediction is that Club (south) will look like this:

Centerville, Milford, Anderson on Top
Lebanon, Springboro, and Dayton in the Middle
Everyone else - no shot....

For the middle group, I still have some questions:

Lebanon - Can they go the distance? They have a tendancy to "implode" mid-season. Look at years past. No doubt the "D" and goalie are tough, but the offense I think is still questionable. Much improved on last year. They will be up at the top soon.

Springboro - They were without 3 middies on Friday from lines 1/2 for the Centerville game. The better team still won, no question. They still however managed a 3 goal game until midway through the 3rd. They are very young (2 freshmen poles start and a freshmen attack starter). The way it looked to me, they just ran out of gas playing shorthanded. I think they will be a contender by mid-year .

Dayton - Between graduation and Alter transfers, they have some big shoes to fill. Good feeder program, and I think will be a force again late in the season. New starters will be tested early in the season.

I think there were two factors; Centerville may have relaxed a bit and Springboro found a groove with Hume. You are not going to stop him from scoring. This team will get much better as the season develops and the cast is build around Hume. There are a lot of young players on this team. They will give Centerville a much better game if they meet in the playoffs.

I think there were two factors; Centerville may have relaxed a bit and Springboro found a groove with Hume. You are not going to stop him from scoring. This team will get much better as the season develops and the cast is build around Hume. There are a lot of young players on this team. They will give Centerville a much better game if they meet in the playoffs.

Agreed this team again will be built around Hume who is an exceptional player who has suffered by not having a strong support staff. If they are to do better than last year, they will have to figure out how to distribute the ball to more than one or two scores. As of right now it appears to be more of the same as last year DJ represents 50% of there offense, shut him down you shut down springboro. When they came up against tough Ds last year most teams were able to shut them down. Look to last years games like milford, centerville, kings, and wyoming. In the milford game last year DJ was held pointless (no assist, no goals). With that said DJ is a player to deal with, if they can get more production out of the middie lines they will be able to improve over last year.

Good posts from all.

No doubt that Centerville is tough now. Will be a force come playoff time in May!

Springboro has some work to do this year to compete at the top. Time will tell if they can pull it together, but no doubt an improvement over last year.

With Alter beating Dayton last night, not sure yet if either is any good? Or just two average (rebuilding) teams playing a close game....

Thoughts on Alter / Dayton?

I think Alter is a ways off but will get stronger as the year moves on. They have some intersting athletes that may become a force by the end of the year including Danny Smith and John Doncaster who is a gifted athlete and converted football player that may become dangerous as he learns the game.

In my oppinion the best player on that team is Quinn Marker the defenseman.

It was an Interesting matchup in the game with O’Neil vs Marker. O’Neil is deadly around the crease and Marker may be the best position defender in Dayton. I can see why colleges are looking at him. I know that he plays for Alter now but he spent 3 years with DLCs high school program. Looks like DLC may have two more guys playing in the college ranks in a varsity program with Kauth at Air force and Ritzenhaler at Otterbein soon.

I guess the last game of the year with Centerville will tell how far they have come since they will have a full year to develop. I would assume that this was scheduled this way by Coach Brown for just that reason.

Last edited:
Sorry to double post but another thing came to mind.

Having seen most of the Dayton area teams play now. There seems to be one consistent theme.

For the most part the guys that played in the offseason are the ones that are some of the most talented players in the Dayton area. Two of the best things that have happened in this area for the growth of the sport have been the summer and fall leagues that Celtic Lacrosse have developed and the Celtic Lacrosse travel team that was created over the summer. (We should all thank Bill Murphy for his involvement in bringing these programs to Dayton and supporting them financially when we see him). While the Celtic team provided some exposure to college coaches, the best thing it did was expose the team's athletes to a higher level of competition. Look at the recent Club Lax Power rankings three of the top 4 teams are currently from Dayton. The guys on these top teams (Lebanon, Springboro and Centerville) all had a good representation on the Celtic team. If we continue to develop off season leagues and teams here in Dayton the area we will have a promising future and will soon be challenging the Cincinnati teams in D1.

Sorry to double post but another thing came to mind.

Having seen most of the Dayton area teams play now. There seems to be one consistent theme.

For the most part the guys that played in the offseason are the ones that are some of the most talented players in the Dayton area. Two of the best things that have happened in this area for the growth of the sport have been the summer and fall leagues that Celtic Lacrosse have developed and the Celtic Lacrosse travel team that was created over the summer. (We should all thank Bill Murphy for his involvement in bringing these programs to Dayton and supporting them financially when we see him). While the Celtic team provided some exposure to college coaches, the best thing it did was expose the team's athletes to a higher level of competition. Look at the recent Club Lax Power rankings three of the top 4 teams are currently from Dayton. The guys on these top teams (Lebanon, Springboro and Centerville) all had a good representation on the Celtic team. If we continue to develop off season leagues and teams here in Dayton the area we will have a promising future and will soon be challenging the Cincinnati teams in D1.

Don't disagree with you on your assessment, Dayton area Lacrosse is improving and they do owe a lot to DLC, Celtic and Velocity, but I think you are jumping the gun by only posting the power rating, Springboro's wins against Springfield, and Lebanon are not good indications of the strength of Dayton lacrosse. You must also look at strength of schedule. Centerville is by far playing the tougher team and it showed in the game against Springboro. I am impressed with the growth by Centerville - Springboro has a long way to go yet. Good luck to all this year and congragulation on a great start to the season, now lets get to the real meat of the season and see where everyone stacks up.

Is DJ playing middie or attack or the do-it-all that he played last year? Also, did DJ have as big as a summer as regular season? What schools have shown interest in him?

I've seen him play both. I think that role will continue as the season goes on....

I heard from the coach that he has been extended a few D3 offers and scholarships thus far, but has yet to committ.

Last edited:
D3=No $$$

I'm positive DJ has been talked to by D3 schools- but there are no scholarships for D3 NCAA programs. Dj is a solid player who has done a great job of creating awareness about him by competing in summer programs and going to as many try out opportunities as possible. Best wish DJ on realizing your dream of playing at the next level.

I'm positive DJ has been talked to by D3 schools- but there are no scholarships for D3 NCAA programs. Dj is a solid player who has done a great job of creating awareness about him by competing in summer programs and going to as many try out opportunities as possible. Best wish DJ on realizing your dream of playing at the next level.

D3 offers scholarships in different ways - i.e. "Academic Scholarships" for Athletes they want. From what I have heard, this was the case with him.

Is DJ playing middie or attack or the do-it-all that he played last year?

Last night Fairfield played DJ (and Springboro) tough in the first half. FHS was up 7-1 after one, and DJ only had 2 goals at half. When all the smoke and dust settled, he had 9 goals and 3 assts! He primarily played attack and did win about 98% of all faceoffs!

D3 offers scholarships in different ways - i.e. "Academic Scholarships" for Athletes they want. From what I have heard, this was the case with him.

You are correct in the Academic Scholarships but for "most" kids these don't start coming until the summer between jr./senior year and after they have applied to the various schools. For DJ that would be this summer. Not sure what his academic credentials are or test scores. I do know that DJ is a smart kid from my interactions with him. Best wish to him and his pursuit at playing at the next level.

Hugo Garcia was the Lebanon d-pole mentioned above. A beastly player, for sure.
Billy Lindhart got a mention above, but I'm not sure it goes far enough. He is certainly one of the THE BEST goalies in SW Ohio at any level.
Rounding out the top dogs for Lebanon, Corey Pandorf really produces as long as he doesn't try to do it all himself.

Anybody know of any standouts at Miami Valley School?

Topic hop- while not among the best this year, there are a number of younger guys in the Dayton area who are probably worth keeping an eye on over the next couple of years:
Dom Stachowski- Springboro
Jonathon Kaunert- Lebanon
Joe Patton- Centerville?
Devon Askin- Clinton County
and perhaps Jack Brown at Alter

Hugo Garcia was the Lebanon d-pole mentioned above. A beastly player, for sure.
Billy Lindhart got a mention above, but I'm not sure it goes far enough. He is certainly one of the THE BEST goalies in SW Ohio at any level.
Rounding out the top dogs for Lebanon, Corey Pandorf really produces as long as he doesn't try to do it all himself.

Anybody know of any standouts at Miami Valley School?

Topic hop- while not among the best this year, there are a number of younger guys in the Dayton area who are probably worth keeping an eye on over the next couple of years:
Dom Stachowski- Springboro
Jonathon Kaunert- Lebanon
Joe Patton- Centerville?
Devon Askin- Clinton County
and perhaps Jack Brown at Alter

You need to add David Reilich as a Long Pole Middie

wow. milford just beat wyoming 10 to 9 in ot... very impressive, I did not expect them too pull of such a great win. This makes the may 1st match up between milford and anderson look more and more exciting. The club top 3 all look at about the same level, the highest level that club teams have been at in a long while

Club laX is holiding their own against DI in cincy:
Anderson v. Lakota West- LW 9-8
Centerville v. Lakota West- LW 9-8
Anderson v. Loveland- A 11-9
Milford v. Loveland- M 10-8
Centerville v. Loveland- C 12-7

We will see how they fair over the next few weeks

Milford plays Mariemont and Indian Hill (Their schedule is brutal this year and you have to give them credit. It looks like they are trying to move to the next level)

Anderson plays Lakota East, Turpin, Summit and Mariemont

Centerville plays Lakota East, Elder, Kings and Summit

Springboro plays Elder and Lakota West (I am surprised they lost to Lakota East)

I would say Milford goes 0-2, Anderson goes 3-1, Centerville goes 4-0 and Springboro goes 1-1.

Alter will not be any good until they learn the rules. They are a bunch of hotheads - in the game I saw them play they had at least 6 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Just a bunch of crybabies and dirty thugs, continuing the fine tradition of "sportsmanship" in Alter athletics.
Not really. Most new teams rely too much on physicality when they are new because many on the team lack stick skills. This is true of Alter this year. The frustration good athletes feel when they can't pick up all the nuances of a game quickly comes out looking like bad sportsmanship...it's really frustration. I can tell from your posts you have a problem with Alter. So be it. Alter does not look like a first year team, they are playing much better than that thanks to some experienced players like Marker, Zimmerman, Dockins and Tom Dalton. Look out in the coming years, my prediction is that Alter, like in so many other sports, will ultimately field a championship team. I don't think you'll like that but the area will.