dalton football coach resigns

I can't say this enough... The Smithville football program was destroyed by the Old Superinendant and Board of Education when they decided it was time for Coach Schrock to go. The football program is in a steady decline and has gone through 3 different coaches since 2011 without ever coming close to the glory days or a league title. The community ousted the old BOE and Superintendant and Principle. We wait now to see if this once proud program can be resurrected.
It won't console anyone in Smithie land, but what happened there is a textbook case of schools being a victim of their own success. They were good so long they took that for granted and figured it was something organic to their school/district.

Were Schrock's best days behind him? Probably, but that presents the opportunity to work out a transition that benefits everyone. Glory for the old coach & an endorsement / support for the new. Instead, that admin when the route of "we can handle this" and proceeded to crap their pants.

In fairness, there's not many schools that handle it "well", but (for me) the goal has to be to do it in a way that protects your history. But you can't relish in your history if you kick out the person primarily responsible for that history.

Last edited:
I can't say this enough... The Smithville football program was destroyed by the Old Superinendant and Board of Education when they decided it was time for Coach Schrock to go. The football program is in a steady decline and has gone through 3 different coaches since 2011 without ever coming close to the glory days or a league title. The community ousted the old BOE and Superintendant and Principle. We wait now to see if this once proud program can be resurrected.
I feel your pain, similar, probably worse recent history at the Slaw. Not sure how much you've been in this thread, but @Rich Kotite can do a better job than I of filling you in. Perhaps we can merge schools and get better. Somewhat of a coaching update from soon to be Belle Stores Field. Apparently, we are still taking applications to replace the former coach, meanwhile, due West, Dalton is already down to 2-finalists, already have been walked around the school shone the facilities etc, Pretty certain Dial is not one of the two and is not being held as a secret option, that soon to be new regime never considered him from what I was told. Decision will be made if I read correctly first week of March, meanwhile our kids have been told nothing, small pockets of workouts occurring, but no communication from anyone to kids, just in silos. Get this done ASAP!

Manchester is still trying to figure out how to win games with 11 players on the field instead of the 16 they were used to with France....
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

I feel your pain, similar, probably worse recent history at the Slaw. Not sure how much you've been in this thread, but @Rich Kotite can do a better job than I of filling you in. Perhaps we can merge schools and get better. Somewhat of a coaching update from soon to be Belle Stores Field. Apparently, we are still taking applications to replace the former coach, meanwhile, due West, Dalton is already down to 2-finalists, already have been walked around the school shone the facilities etc, Pretty certain Dial is not one of the two and is not being held as a secret option, that soon to be new regime never considered him from what I was told. Decision will be made if I read correctly first week of March, meanwhile our kids have been told nothing, small pockets of workouts occurring, but no communication from anyone to kids, just in silos. Get this done ASAP!
There's been no communication because The Slaw has to call their joined-at-the-hip administrative buddies at Fairless since apparently they need to swap administrative staff back and forth between the schools and can't make a decision without the other school's influence. El Lapo the AD - former Fairless. Nate Held - former Slaw. And other examples.....thus.....we have the Justus Junta deciding the fate of The Bleu Cup and its participants:

1709052984893.png

Last edited:
It won't console anyone in Smithie land, but what happened there is a textbook case of schools being a victim of their own success. They were good so long they took that for granted and figured it was something organic to their school/district.

Were Schrock's best days behind him? Probably, but that presents the opportunity to work out a transition that benefits everyone. Glory for the old coach & an endorsement / support for the new. Instead, that admin when the route of "we can handle this" and proceeded to crap their pants.

In fairness, there's not many schools that handle it "well", but (for me) the goal has to be to do it in a way that protects your history. But you can't relish in your history if you kick out the person primarily responsible for that history.
I do not want to be that guy...........but having 80% of the Smithie youth playing soccer and having the option of continuing their soccer careers until they graduate high school has not helped the Smithies once proud football program. Smithville has a dominant freshmen class entering the high school next year. Hopefully they do not throw too many of them in the varsity fray to early.

I have heard the same about the new Dalton admin. They do not want Dial. I did hear that Dial is a possibility at Tuslaw. Apparently he does not want to move.......and Tuslaw is close to his home in Dalton.

Can't agree with this more for many of these hyper political farm communities like Smithville and Dalton.

I do not want to be that guy...........but having 80% of the Smithie youth playing soccer and having the option of continuing their soccer careers until they graduate high school has not helped the Smithies once proud football program. Smithville has a dominant freshmen class entering the high school next year. Hopefully they do not throw too many of them in the varsity fray to early.

I have heard the same about the new Dalton admin. They do not want Dial. I did hear that Dial is a possibility at Tuslaw. Apparently he does not want to move.......and Tuslaw is close to his home in Dalton.

Can't agree with this more for many of these hyper political farm communities like Smithville and Dalton.
Already hearing excuses from BOE, main one being there is supposedly only one teaching position open. First of all, who cares, make the guy a frigging bus driver, assistant custodial engineer, head hallway monitor, whatever it takes. Schools have been making up BS jobs for coaches they wanted for years, granted if they are not a teacher or maybe a good teacher. Not sure what Dial's situation is in the classroom....

Already hearing excuses from BOE, main one being there is supposedly only one teaching position open. First of all, who cares, make the guy a frigging bus driver, assistant custodial engineer, head hallway monitor, whatever it takes. Schools have been making up BS jobs for coaches they wanted for years, granted if they are not a teacher or maybe a good teacher. Not sure what Dial's situation is in the classroom....
This might be way before your time but Tuslaw "placed" their beloved softball/volleyball coach Colleen "Wags" Wageley in a useless "Dean of Students" role for years back in the 80's/90's.

As a student, I can tell you she was totally useless unless you were one of her players. Those players are all middle age adults now and some are still trying to throw their (now considerable) weight around; one even ran for the BOE in the last board election (and narrowly lost; dodged a bullet with that one, too).

If the desire is there.....they can create a role or just let Broc Dial teach at Dalton, coach at Tuslaw.

Key word is desire....if it was girls softball or volleyball the "Wags" alumni would be tripping over themselves to create a position for their preferred coach du jour.

This might be way before your time but Tuslaw "placed" their beloved softball/volleyball coach Colleen "Wags" Wageley in a useless "Dean of Students" role for years back in the 80's/90's.

As a student, I can tell you she was totally useless unless you were one of her players. Those players are all middle age adults now and some are still trying to throw their (now considerable) weight around; one even ran for the BOE in the last board election (and narrowly lost; dodged a bullet with that one, too).

If the desire is there.....they can create a role or just let Broc Dial teach at Dalton, coach at Tuslaw.

Key word is desire....if it was girls softball or volleyball the "Wags" alumni would be tripping over themselves to create a position for their preferred coach du jour.
Give him whatever resources it takes, money facilities (field already in its way) weight room is a joke, any staff he wants to bring in tow, schedule flexibility all of it, also don’t be surprised if the herd thins a bit, get the kids out that don’t want to be there and oh yeah, my favorite part I recently heard about freshman parents that complained about lack of PT last year just because their daddy played there, hit the road too. Best kids by far were on the field last year, and will continue to be, pair this with a coach like him and huge step in the right direction.

Give him whatever resources it takes, money facilities (field already in its way) weight room is a joke, any staff he wants to bring in tow, schedule flexibility all of it, also don’t be surprised if the herd thins a bit, get the kids out that don’t want to be there and oh yeah, my favorite part I recently heard about freshman parents that complained about lack of PT last year just because their daddy played there, hit the road too. Best kids by far were on the field last year, and will continue to be, pair this with a coach like him and huge step in the right direction.
I don't know you but you're a Great American representative of the old world ways of Massillon suburbia.

I agree.

----

Just understand a little of the Slaw history and it'll make sense.

Be glad Darcy McBride didn't get on the school board. As for the rest of the board members, Horvath has been there a long time and the others are new with little resume to evaluate.

Not a good resume.

Tuslaw is a weird place. It was the first Ohio school district to have a female president of their booster club....I love girls sports but I know these people.....boys sports is pedestrian to them IMO.

Excellence is going 100% for ALL sports.....no matter the gender.

Last edited:
I don't know you but you're a Great American representative of the old world ways of Meadowlake Estates.

I agree.

----

Just understand a little of the Slaw history and it'll make sense.

Be glad Darcy McBride didn't get on the school board. As for the rest of the board members, Horvath has been there a long time and the others are new with little resume to evaluate.

Not a good resume.

Tuslaw is a weird place. It was the first Ohio school district to have a female president of their booster club....I love girls sports but I know these people.....boys sports is pedestrian to them IMO.

Excellence is going 100% for ALL sports.....no matter the gender.
I have my moments few and far between just ask my wife lol as for the new board members. I agree too early to tell, but I do know that they shot down some ridiculous behavior and complaining from a couple of freshman parents at a recent BOE meeting so that at a minimum is a step in the right direction

I have my moments few and far between just ask my wife lol as for the new board members. I agree too early to tell, but I do know that they shot down some ridiculous behavior and complaining from a couple of freshman parents at a recent BOE meeting so that at a minimum is a step in the right direction
We need The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase at The Slaw. DM me the last names of the freshmen clowns. I might know something....or maybe not.

Screenshot_20240221-194816-878.png

are you blaming soccer for Smithville's football problems?

Seems like a good fit... That hire is more in line with the caliber of coaching they likely deserve.

We seem to have entered a new era where it seems like good coaches and programs make their less successful peers at the same school feel inferior and they get run off. Some schools still think a rising tide lifts all ships. But others hammer down the nail that sticks out, because the soft bigotry of low expectations only works if no sports are punching above their weight class.

are you blaming soccer for Smithville's football problems?
Not completely, but it has definitely played a role. There are surely a few kids in each class who would be on the football field if they were not able to play soccer. Those kids would help the football team. In rarer cases, you have a kid like 2022 grad Carter Fath, whose best sport would have probably been football, playing soccer. Smithville football will be a "have a decent/good team once or twice every 10 years" type of program for the foreseeable future.

Seems like a good fit... That hire is more in line with the caliber of coaching they likely deserve.

We seem to have entered a new era where it seems like good coaches and programs make their less successful peers at the same school feel inferior and they get run off. Some schools still think a rising tide lifts all ships. But others hammer down the nail that sticks out, because the soft bigotry of low expectations only works if no sports are punching above their weight class.
Well said...…..absolutely true. As was mentioned before when discussing Smithville's fall from football glory, it seems that some of the decision makers in Dalton have bought into the idea that Dalton is so chock-full of athletes that they can just hire any coach and keep winning. Boy oh boy are those people in for a surprise. There will be a residual effect from the last few years success that will carry over for the next year or two and keep them competitive. It will get much harder for them after that. The culture and expectations will gradually erode towards mediocrity. The boys basketball program is in year 2 of enjoying the residual effects of the program that was in place at Dalton a couple of years ago.........the bottom will eventually drop out there too.

Getting rid of the best football coach in program history to hire a coach who was 0-10 last year should certainly raise a lot of questions.

Well said...…..absolutely true. As was mentioned before when discussing Smithville's fall from football glory, it seems that some of the decision makers in Dalton have bought into the idea that Dalton is so chock-full of athletes that they can just hire any coach and keep winning. Boy oh boy are those people in for a surprise. There will be a residual effect from the last few years success that will carry over for the next year or two and keep them competitive. It will get much harder for them after that. The culture and expectations will gradually erode towards mediocrity. The boys basketball program is in year 2 of enjoying the residual effects of the program that was in place at Dalton a couple of years ago.........the bottom will eventually drop out there too.

Getting rid of the best football coach in program history to hire a coach who was 0-10 last year should certainly raise a lot of questions.
Well said. Though, I think reality is going to be knocking on the door pretty early. New, young QB. Graduating a ton. Wenger will be a nice player next year, Tomlinson will be a stud. But losing a ton from the trenches and starting a new QB in a brand new system.....There is a real chance they could start 0-3. And I could absolutely see them losing to Norwayne and Hillsdale and staring down the barrel of 5-5 on the season all while being bumped up to D6. Telephone, line 1 - Mediocrity is already calling.....

So, is the only thing we are analyzing about the new hire is his last season record?

I really don’t understand? I have a friend who lives in Cambridge, he said that town loved Leek despite an 0-10 record this past season. They had a great year the season previous to 0-10. Said he gets the kids and families involved. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The reality is that Dalton fans probably weren’t going to be happy with any hire not named Dial, and rightfully so. Probably never should’ve got to this point, but between admin and Dial it got to that point.

If I’m Tuslaw, I’m going after one guy and one guy only until he tells me no. Could pick up some players that may want to stick with the coach.

So, is the only thing we are analyzing about the new hire is his last season record?

I really don’t understand? I have a friend who lives in Cambridge, he said that town loved Leek despite an 0-10 record this past season. They had a great year the season previous to 0-10. Said he gets the kids and families involved. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The reality is that Dalton fans probably weren’t going to be happy with any hire not named Dial, and rightfully so. Probably never should’ve got to this point, but between admin and Dial it got to that point.

If I’m Tuslaw, I’m going after one guy and one guy only until he tells me no. Could pick up some players that may want to stick with the coach.
You're dead right - no hire outside of Dial coming back was going to be good. As for analyzing the record - Dial has never had a losing season as a head coach (he's never even been .500)....so when the new hire is 19-24 in his last 4 years, that's never going to sit well. For crying out loud Dial had 12 PLAYOFF wins in the last 4 years.....

And yes, totally agree. If I'm Tuslaw - I'm pretty much telling Dial he can have whatever he wants and if I'm Dial, I'd do it.

Heard similar things about Leek.
187 - sheesh 🙄.
Dalton is a great community that has had very strong athletics for a long time, I don’t expect that to change now. They are coming off a great run of talent the last 7-8 years and I’m not saying there won’t be a dip, but the cupboard is not bare.