D7 R25 2024

When your margin of victory is 132-0 over the first 2 weeks of the playoffs, you know that the OHSAA has gone too far on opening up the playoffs. I don't even think those teams wanted to play honestly.
You can make a case against expanded playoffs, but not by using a national outlier in Marion Local. In that region alone you had 4 "upsets" in the first round by teams that pre-expansion wouldn't have made the playoffs.

You can make a case against expanded playoffs, but not by using a national outlier in Marion Local. In that region alone you had 4 "upsets" in the first round by teams that pre-expansion wouldn't have made the playoffs.
Yeah and 2 of them were out of the MAC. Not really changing my perspective on the fact that lower tier MAC teams shouldn't make the playoffs if they can't win at least half their league games. ML may be an overall outlier but come on that spread is ridiculous.

Yeah and 2 of them were out of the MAC. Not really changing my perspective on the fact that lower tier MAC teams shouldn't make the playoffs if they can't win at least half their league games. ML may be an overall outlier but come on that spread is ridiculous.
It is a wild spread, but 288-7 in their entire playoff run tells me Marion Local data should be thrown out of consideration. Also, I'm jealous you can have that perspective about your conference, it really is something special over there. But, I know there are a lot of places around the state where any playoff berth is a big deal.

Those first two playoff games, ML could have scored 100 points. Something needs tweaked when you have two games in a row like that in the playoffs. Goodwin has a thing about not scoring 70. Never has yet, but it will happen someday.
When your margin of victory is 132-0 over the first 2 weeks of the playoffs, you know that the OHSAA has gone too far on opening up the playoffs. I don't even think those teams wanted to play honestly.
You guys honestly think it would have mattered? Stoppppp

Dalton was damn good last year and MSML beat them 38-0 in the finals. It doesn't matter if you reduce the playoff field to 4 teams in D7, MSML was going to running clock whoever they played.

i dont. good game but especially if perrys RB studio was healthy and played RB in the finals, not just DE.
Normally I’m the conductor on the MSML train, but have watched Perry fairly close the last 4-5 years. This point is spot on. That title game is a running clock at halftime if the RB plays at full strength.

Now in the 24 season, Perry / MSML might be a great game.

Normally I’m the conductor on the MSML train, but have watched Perry fairly close the last 4-5 years. This point is spot on. That title game is a running clock at halftime if the RB plays at full strength.

Agreed. Plus all weekend at the state games, Brayden Richards #12 on Perry was the biggest playmaker / explosive athlete I seen all weekend. You don't see those type of players in D7. Still, good game but I would put my money on Perry to beat ML if all players are 100%.

I definitely won't dispute Perry beating MSML last year, especially if it were in the regular season. Perry beat Kirtland soundly, but it's obvious Kirtland had kinks to workout on offense as the season progressed. You can point to Marion's one point win over Versailles, but Otte didn't play in that game and the Marion D in particular was still developing. Perry struggled to beat Liberty Center, who only beat Coldwater by 10. If the game were played in week 16, I'd give MSML a shot against Perry. Same with Kirtland if they rematched Perry week 16.

I definitely won't dispute Perry beating MSML last year, especially if it were in the regular season. Perry beat Kirtland soundly, but it's obvious Kirtland had kinks to workout on offense as the season progressed. You can point to Marion's one point win over Versailles, but Otte didn't play in that game and the Marion D in particular was still developing. Perry struggled to beat Liberty Center, who only beat Coldwater by 10. If the game were played in week 16, I'd give MSML a shot against Perry. Same with Kirtland if they rematched Perry week 16.
Great points, but at the same time their Kent State commit RB did not play RB against Liberty Center.

I wish they made that happen rather than having to go to linton Stockton

i dont. good game but especially if perrys RB studio was healthy and played RB in the finals, not just DE.
The only reason i would put it 50/50 is the fact that if Coldwater can beat a Mooney team filled with D1 prospects, ML should
theoretically be able to beat a team with 1 D1 running back. Remember Kirtland struggled with Dalton also and ML took Dalton behind the woodshed, beat them, then went back for more. Early season matchups mean something but not a lot, especially since ML is notorious for being "slow" starters while they find their identity.

You guys honestly think it would have mattered? Stoppppp

Dalton was damn good last year and MSML beat them 38-0 in the finals. It doesn't matter if you reduce the playoff field to 4 teams in D7, MSML was going to running clock whoever they played.
Personally, yes. I'm not trying to sandbag at all. I'm just pointing out that essentially MLs varsity got 2 playoff bye weeks. They would play the 1st quarter to keep it fresh then be pulled. Meanwhile all the other teams played full varsity games. It takes a toll on your body and doesn't bode well when you not only play a ML team who tends to get better as the season goes but also a fresh ML team. Ansonia was able to play keep away for 1 quarter but then they just got plain tired.

Personally, yes. I'm not trying to sandbag at all. I'm just pointing out that essentially MLs varsity got 2 playoff bye weeks. They would play the 1st quarter to keep it fresh then be pulled. Meanwhile all the other teams played full varsity games. It takes a toll on your body and doesn't bode well when you not only play a ML team who tends to get better as the season goes but also a fresh ML team. Ansonia was able to play keep away for 1 quarter but then they just got plain tired.
Buddy.....38-0 in the title game. Again, it wouldn't have mattered who they played in the first 3 games of the playoffs - those JV kids were playing the same amount because all 3 games would be blowouts. Hell they could've played Dalton 3 times and the results weren't going to change.....

Buddy.....38-0 in the title game. Again, it wouldn't have mattered who they played in the first 3 games of the playoffs - those JV kids were playing the same amount because all 3 games would be blowouts. Hell they could've played Dalton 3 times and the results weren't going to change.....
Exactly, I said the gap has only gotten wider. Im not sure what the riff is because our kids arent any more athletic than any other part of the state. Obviously our coach is top notch, but theres been teams weve played that should have just been able to out athletic us and just couldnt do it i.e. Wapak, CJ, Versailles this past year if we're honest. If you're not for shrinking the playoffs I can get that. Perhaps it would help shrink the gap, perhaps not. If they're not going to do that then the OHSAA should allow teams to play up to any division and not just D1 because I can guarantee ML would be in at least 6 then.

I get your point. The previous year MSML beat their playoff opponents by a total score of 232-9 and that was in D6. The only close game was Kirtland in the finals. Wish they were in D6 this year, so there would be Kirtland potentially waiting in the wings. Can't really say just how good Marion Local will be this year. Potential is there to be their best team ever, but I'd bet against it as of now. Too many unknown variables can unfold during the year.

Exactly, I said the gap has only gotten wider. Im not sure what the riff is because our kids arent any more athletic than any other part of the state. Obviously our coach is top notch, but theres been teams weve played that should have just been able to out athletic us and just couldnt do it i.e. Wapak, CJ, Versailles this past year if we're honest. If you're not for shrinking the playoffs I can get that. Perhaps it would help shrink the gap, perhaps not. If they're not going to do that then the OHSAA should allow teams to play up to any division and not just D1 because I can guarantee ML would be in at least 6 then.
You're underselling the players. Sure, their best quality is that they're fundamental machines, but they are absolutely plenty athletic.

I think the divisions are what they are - MSML has a really great thing going and there is just nothing anyone is or can do about it. There isn't a team in D7 this year that is within 50 points of MSML if MSML goes hard the whole time. Everyone let that sink in and I'm dead when I say 50 points!

You're underselling the players. Sure, their best quality is that they're fundamental machines, but they are absolutely plenty athletic.

I think the divisions are what they are - MSML has a really great thing going and there is just nothing anyone is or can do about it. There isn't a team in D7 this year that is within 50 points of MSML if MSML goes hard the whole time. Everyone let that sink in and I'm dead when I say 50 points!
I'm not underselling anything. I was one of them not that long ago. They're athletic but not that much more than anywhere else.

If they were then we would have a lot more basketball, baseball, and track trophies in our case, but we don't.

Last edited:

On this side of 71? I agree!

Supposedly a broken arm? Which would be the 3rd time I believe
Ugh. That stinks. I feel bad for him. Minster is the only team in D7 that has somewhat of a chance.
Like someone else stated in this thread, ML is 50 points better than all D7s not named Minster.

I'm hoping for a full recovery for him prior to the season starting.

Q: The Eagles had a tough 2023 season, going 2-7. What will you and your teammates have to do to get back to winning games?

A: Since all of our starters are coming back along with some transfers, the process of getting better is all-year-round. For this season to be successful, we all need to stay on top of our position assignments and show higher levels of discipline. Bringing in a new DC, we need to get as sound as possible on defensive calls so we can perfectly execute each play call.

Sounds like the Eagles will be far more competitive this year.

Last edited:
Q: The Eagles had a tough 2023 season, going 2-7. What will you and your teammates have to do to get back to winning games?

A: Since all of our starters are coming back along with some transfers, the process of getting better is all-year-round. For this season to be successful, we all need to stay on top of our position assignments and show higher levels of discipline. Bringing in a new DC, we need to get as sound as possible on defensive calls so we can perfectly execute each play call.

Sounds like the Eagles will be far more competitive this year.
The schedule got softened some and they have a big senior class so they will win a few more games this year. Depth will still be a bit of an issue and they still have to deal with the likes of Garfield and Mogadore. I can see a 4-6, 5-5 type of season which will probably get them in the playoffs. In this version of the region they could possibly win a game or two. "Competitive" is probably still a reach though.