D7 2021 Outlook

The idea that New Bremen got lucky against JFK or that they weren't the best team on the field is idiotic and needs to stop. On their way to JFK, New Bremen went through Marion Local - who lost before the state championship game for the first time in 10 years - and then LCC, who everyone thought was a juggernaut and a sure shot to win state, then they capped it off with a 31-0 whooping of JFK. You don't get lucky against those 3 teams 3 weeks in a row. Even before that, their only 2 losses were an 8 point loss to Marion Local, which they made up for in the playoffs, and a 17 point loss to Coldwater, who won D6.

Will NB be as good this year? I doubt it, but only time will tell. In the meantime, stop trying to downplay their state championship, it only makes you look jealous.

I know it has probably been covered here at some time, but are all the schools staying in the same divisions this year they would have been last year or is a "recounting" going to happen this year?

I know it has probably been covered here at some time, but are all the schools staying in the same divisions this year they would have been last year or is a "recounting" going to happen this year?
Suppose to stay the same

Someone mentioned in the D6 thread that the divisions and regions will stay the same for 2021

The idea that New Bremen got lucky against JFK or that they weren't the best team on the field is idiotic and needs to stop. On their way to JFK, New Bremen went through Marion Local - who lost before the state championship game for the first time in 10 years - and then LCC, who everyone thought was a juggernaut and a sure shot to win state, then they capped it off with a 31-0 whooping of JFK. You don't get lucky against those 3 teams 3 weeks in a row. Even before that, their only 2 losses were an 8 point loss to Marion Local, which they made up for in the playoffs, and a 17 point loss to Coldwater, who won D6.

Will NB be as good this year? I doubt it, but only time will tell. In the meantime, stop trying to downplay their state championship, it only makes you look jealous.
It amazes me how things get twisted. No one said that NB got lucky. If you actually took the time to read, I said they deserved to win, they dominated the second half. All I stated was that I felt that Newark Catholic was the best overall team that we played this season. People are buthurt over that, bit thats on all of you, not me. I know it may be hard to understand but that's how it is.

I have nothing to be jealous of, we have two state titles and a state runners up in our house. We are doing just fine.

The base enrollment is staying the same but I do think competitive balance is being recalculated,so there could be small movement
I wasn't sure if they were redoing CB this year. Could affect some teams. Will be interesting to see.

The JFK guys make me laugh every time I see a post, it was 7-0 at halftime but if you ask Coach Schmidt it should have been 13-0, why he didn't kick two field goals I'll never know? But I do know that from the film they watched they knew they would dominate JFK, and he was probably getting greedy. JFK was not as good as LCC, MSML, Ft Loraime or St Henry, NB was way over confident in that game and if they had played the way they had earlier in the playoffs it would have been much, much worse. That being said I do expect to see Newark Catholic play the MAC representative in the Finals this year. They had a good young team and their JV went undefeated, so some talent to restock with.

The JFK guys make me laugh every time I see a post, it was 7-0 at halftime but if you ask Coach Schmidt it should have been 13-0, why he didn't kick two field goals I'll never know? But I do know that from the film they watched they knew they would dominate JFK, and he was probably getting greedy. JFK was not as good as LCC, MSML, Ft Loraime or St Henry, NB was way over confident in that game and if they had played the way they had earlier in the playoffs it would have been much, much worse. That being said I do expect to see Newark Catholic play the MAC representative in the Finals this year. They had a good young team and their JV went undefeated, so some talent to restock with.
IMO, it will be Marion Local vs NC in the D7 state championship. I don't think people realize what ML has coming back and that sophomore class had some studs who were playing varsity this past year such as Seitz.

IMO, it will be Marion Local vs NC in the D7 state championship. I don't think people realize what ML has coming back and that sophomore class had some studs who were playing varsity this past year such as Seitz.
I believe New Bremen had two sophomores score touchdowns in the State Championship game (I realize they got lucky since JFK got worn out the week before against Newark Catholic) but I think they can play with MSML. Now saying that I really wish MSML would move back to D6, I do believe the MAC has a legitimate shot at 3 titles this year (but then again I am a homer) I’m sure The Voice sees it as a down year in the MAC and we probably won’t even have a team make the playoffs ?

Or really beat up. They will be good and in my opinion should have beaten New Bremen. Newark Catholic could be in the state title game, they are going to be very good. Regardless of the score in the championship game, Newark was probably the best team we played last season. (Cue the MAC posters).
Should have beaten New Bremen?

Come on man!

They had like a total of 10 yards rushing for the game.

Jaws stop it.

Very cool to see NC receive some (deserved) recognition in this discussion.
Yes, Newark deserves more recognition than they get. They played very well last year in a tough league, and in the playoffs. Definitely took advantage of Trimble's mistakes in the regional semifinals. What really gave them the game to control was the 5 turnover we had. They are very disciplined, fast and can make some plays. I think Region 27 comes down to Trimble and Newark Catholic this year. Just my opinion on that don't come @ me on it.

I believe New Bremen had two sophomores score touchdowns in the State Championship game (I realize they got lucky since JFK got worn out the week before against Newark Catholic) but I think they can play with MSML. Now saying that I really wish MSML would move back to D6, I do believe the MAC has a legitimate shot at 3 titles this year (but then again I am a homer) I’m sure The Voice sees it as a down year in the MAC and we probably won’t even have a team make the playoffs ?
Dont be obtuse.
12 teams making the playoffs so of course a couple MAC teams will make it.

I dont see any of them making it past the regional finals though as this will be a down year for the league.

If the suburb of New Bremen hires Mauk it may take them a little time to learn that wide open system.

It amazes me how things get twisted. No one said that NB got lucky. If you actually took the time to read, I said they deserved to win, they dominated the second half. All I stated was that I felt that Newark Catholic was the best overall team that we played this season. People are buthurt over that, bit thats on all of you, not me. I know it may be hard to understand but that's how it is.

I have nothing to be jealous of, we have two state titles and a state runners up in our house. We are doing just fine.
Legit.

I heard Newark Catholic in their first home game next year is going to unveil their "Best Team JFK Played in 2020" banner.

Should be an electric atmosphere for that one and right up there with Wapak's "Impressive Playoff Win" banner night.

Legit.

I heard Newark Catholic in their first home game next year is going to unveil their "Best Team JFK Played in 2020" banner.

Should be an electric atmosphere for that one and right up there with Wapak's "Impressive Playoff Win" banner night.
And The Voice wins Yappi again!

didn't just a few years ago, NC had about 20 or so kids out for football? did they hire a new coach in the past few years?

didn't just a few years ago, NC had about 20 or so kids out for football? did they hire a new coach in the past few years?
You're mistaken on the numbers count, my friend. I think the lowest number they've had in recent years as 32, but if I recall correctly they've been in the 40's lately. This past year, they had low 50's.

They did hire a new coach in 2019. He previously was on the staff for a couple D2 and D3 schools in Indiana.

You're mistaken on the numbers count, my friend. I think the lowest number they've had in recent years as 32, but if I recall correctly they've been in the 40's lately. This past year, they had low 50's.

They did hire a new coach in 2019. He previously was on the staff for a couple D2 and D3 schools in Indiana.
is JD still around the program?

Last edited:
is JD still around the program?
I don't believe he is involved outside of the occasional 'talk to the students' that a program's legendary coaches/former players might do in the off-season or before a big game. Last I heard, he was living up in Northeastern Ohio. @gils may know the answer better, though.

No J.D. Graham is not around the program. He comes down to Newark every now and then. I have not seen him in a couple of years. He lives up in Medina. Doc is right he does come down and talks to the kids when there are big games. He and Coach Poth interviewed the current coach they have now in 2018 Ryan Aiello. He was on the Bishop Ready Staff when Brian Cross was the Head Coach. N.C. numbers for football are in the high forties low fifties.

The 2021 Lucas Cub schedule is yet another meat-grinder:

Week 1: @ Danville (D7)
Week 2: @ Hillsdale (D6)
Week 3: Wynford (D5)

Week 4: @ Willard (D5)
Week 5: Cincinnati Western Hills (D1)
Week 6: Canton Central Catholic (D6)

Week 7: Tiffin Calvert (D7)
Week 8: @ Hilltop (D7)
Week 9: Fort Loramie (D7)
Week 10: @ Mogadore (D6)

Ouch!

The 2021 Lucas Cub schedule is yet another meat-grinder:

Week 1: @ Danville (D7)
Week 2: @ Hillsdale (D6)
Week 3: Wynford (D5)

Week 4: @ Willard (D5)
Week 5: Cincinnati Western Hills (D1)
Week 6: Canton Central Catholic (D6)

Week 7: Tiffin Calvert (D7)
Week 8: @ Hilltop (D7)
Week 9: Fort Loramie (D7)
Week 10: @ Mogadore (D6)

Ouch!
I give the Cubs credit, they're not afraid to play tough competition.

Yes, Newark deserves more recognition than they get. They played very well last year in a tough league, and in the playoffs. Definitely took advantage of Trimble's mistakes in the regional semifinals. What really gave them the game to control was the 5 turnover we had. They are very disciplined, fast and can make some plays. I think Region 27 comes down to Trimble and Newark Catholic this year. Just my opinion on that don't come @ me on it.

I am not sure why anyone would @ you. Those are the only two good teams in that region. That region is the weakest of them all.

I am not sure why anyone would @ you. Those are the only two good teams in that region. That region is the weakest of them all.
Just seems like when I wrote that people would. Yes, it is the weakest region out of all of them but both teams are always a week 15 team.