D3 Soccer

DAWGS08

Looking at the state poll seems like Northern Ohio is the strongest in D3 this year. With Cincy and Columbus having a strong team or two. Dayton seems thin and weak this year. What are thoughts on the season so far?

I have watched Madeira, Mariemont, CCD and Seven Hills here in Cincy in D3…Right now I give the edge to Seven Hills for the top..Madeira seems to be rounding into form but are inconsistent…CCD is definitely down this year comparatively speaking…to my eye Mariemont was not as good as the rankings suggest…not sure about the rest of the southwest/Dayton area.

Madeira wins 2-1 vs a very physical LaSalle squad…Mustangs on the rise ( sorry to be a Homer)…not much on the plate for the Stangs till state…Heading to the Indian Hill -Summit match Saturday…no rest for a futbol fan 😝

not super sure because I've only watched a few games.... but Dayton might be stronger than people think. Waynesville, Dayton Christian, and especially Troy Christian are all talented teams. TC had a very close game with Seven Hills this year, beat Maderia in the District Finals last year, and has a kid who just committed full ride to Univeristy of Dayton

not super sure because I've only watched a few games.... but Dayton might be stronger than people think. Waynesville, Dayton Christian, and especially Troy Christian are all talented teams. TC had a very close game with Seven Hills this year, beat Maderia in the District Finals last year, and has a kid who just committed full ride to Univeristy of Dayton
It's interesting because Waynesville will actually be in the south sectionals so all the Cincy schools will have to deal with them before they meet up with Dayton teams.

Up north there are few interesting teams but I don't know if they have the quality to win in Columbus.

Beachwood plays Mooney on Saturday. That looks like their biggest test so far.

Warren JFK beat Mooney so that will be a good comp.

United has one slip up but otherwise has played well.

Let's not forget Grandview heights was 8-7-1 last year entering the playoffs and won the whole thing.

I know your name says D3, so you may not realize that most kids going D1 are getting no athletic money. The thought that kids going D1 automatically get money is far from true. On top of that, “full ride’s” are extremely limited and geared towards a small amount of players, mostly international. D1 programs only get 9.9 scholarships across the entire team. How coaches decide to divide that, is different at each school. With that said, the kid at TC is legit and it will be a great program for him. It’s a great achievement as well as a positive for the city to take a strong local player.

I got a chance to watch a TC game earlier this year and suprised teams are not throwing more bodies at the UD commit. He seems like a good player but if they can deny him the ball the rest of the team doesn't seem to have much attacking talent. It will be interesting to see what the post season looks like for that squad.

I got a chance to watch a TC game earlier this year and suprised teams are not throwing more bodies at the UD commit. He seems like a good player but if they can deny him the ball the rest of the team doesn't seem to have much attacking talent. It will be interesting to see what the post season looks like for that squad.
They have had 15 players score goals this year. And not all of that is in cleanup, end of game type, blowout scenarios. Throwing too many bodies at him creates opportunities for the others.

TC with a comprehensive win against Grandview Heights 4-0 today. Expect Grandview Heights to be playing their best soccer come playoff time…they usually do.

Also, I know its slightly outdated but Beachwood lost to Cardinal Mooney 2-0. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on that. Waynesville also with a few losses in a tight one vs Alter and than a 2-1 loss vs Ross. Thought they were the better team against Ross but just couldn't convert huge chances

Big matchup tonight between JFK and United cancelled due to lightning. Drove an hour, pulled into the lot, storm started. Game cancelled shortly thereafter, drove an hour back. Might meet up this year in the playoffs, TBD

So tournament time is upon us. Who are the contenders for a State Final. From what I see based on results looks like it could be

Northern Ohio
- Ottoville
- Beachwood
- Hiland

Columbus
- Worthington
- Tree of Life
- Grandview Heights (not counting them out after back to back)

Dayton / Cincy
- Seven Hills
- Madeira
- Mariemont
- Dayton Christian

What are everyone's thoughts ?

So tournament time is upon us. Who are the contenders for a State Final. From what I see based on results looks like it could be

Northern Ohio
- Ottoville
- Beachwood
- Hiland

Columbus
- Worthington
- Tree of Life

Dayton / Cincy
- Seven Hills
- Madeira
- Mariemont
- Dayton Christian

Being in the columbus area, I thought Grandview was not a contender last year, and they won it all, so…I’ll keep my idiot thoughts to myself this year.

Northern Ohio
- Ottoville
- Beachwood
- Hiland

Columbus
- Worthington
- Tree of Life

Dayton / Cincy
- Seven Hills
- Madeira
- Mariemont
- Dayton Christian

Interesting that you left out the top D3 team, Troy Christian, in the Dayton area. I also think Waynesville can give the Cincy teams a challenge this year too. I haven't seen legacy play this year so don't know if they are for real or not. Their bracket also has yellow springs and botkins.

Didn't Troy Christian beat Dayton Christian 3-1 this year? Also destroyed Grandview Heights 4-0? Interesting that they are not placed as a contender. They had a poor loss to Yellow Springs but have shown all year the ability to rebound from tough games.

Didn't Troy Christian beat Dayton Christian 3-1 this year? Also destroyed Grandview Heights 4-0? Interesting that they are not placed as a contender. They had a poor loss to Yellow Springs but have shown all year the ability to rebound from tough games.
Yes. TC also beat Alter who beat DC 2-0. And Grandview heights beat mariemont who beat seven hills who beat TC. I think there is more parity this year in SW D3 than years past. Should be an exciting tournament run.

Just looking at Region 9 which looks to be very competitive. I think Beachwood may have their hands full with AOA if they meet up like most predict.

In NE 3 it should be JFK but like most I don’t think they can sleep on Kirtland or SR.
That should match them up with NE1 which looks to be the winner of AOA and United. United beat KCC 4-2 while AOA beat them 5-1 so United may have a punchers chance but will be the clear underdog.

On the other side you have NE2 Beachwood vs NE4 winner who will most likely be Fairview Park or West Salem.

Just looking at Region 9 which looks to be very competitive. I think Beachwood may have their hands full with AOA if they meet up like most predict.

In NE 3 it should be JFK but like most I don’t think they can sleep on Kirtland or SR.
That should match them up with NE1 which looks to be the winner of AOA and United. United beat KCC 4-2 while AOA beat them 5-1 so United may have a punchers chance but will be the clear underdog.

On the other side you have NE2 Beachwood vs NE4 winner who will most likely be Fairview Park or West Salem.
I would watch out for South Range against JFK. With Kirtland in there too that district is rough.

Also United will certainly give AOA all they can handle. That should be a very good game.

I would watch out for South Range against JFK. With Kirtland in there too that district is rough.

Also United will certainly give AOA all they can handle. That should be a very good game.
JFK and South Range will be a battle. They have played a number of the same teams to similar outcomes. SRange has been calling out JFK all year, they wanted this game, it should go down to the wire. Whoever wins will have a very tough matchup with Kirtland (most likely).

Reffed Kirtland the other day (one of their last regular season games). They are a really strong, well coached, D3 team.

AOA is always interesting as their team is different every year, since they're mostly made up of foreign boarding students. Usually the first half of the season is spent learning most of their names, but by the post season, they get more organized. They still can usually be beaten by a team that's been together for years, however. Individual talent can often be beated by a team effort.

Looks like we are down to the cream of the crop

D3
South Range v Kirtland
United v Andrews Osborne

I took Range against JFK so I'm gonna continue to ride that horse. Everyone seems to think AOA is a huge favorite. I'd say not so fast. United will be ready.

Beachwood v Badger
Rootstown v Independence

Rootstown's Cinderella run goes one more and then they lose to Beachwood. Everyone here relieved Mooney moved up.

Last edited:
I heard there was some drama at the end of the TC vs Seven Hills game. WinbyPin any inisght on what happened?

I heard there was some drama at the end of the TC vs Seven Hills game. WinbyPin any inisght on what happened?
Not sure if it was drama or not but the ref awarded a corner kick to SH that was questionable. Looked like a foul on SH player and also if no foul, SH had touched the ball last. SH scored on that corner and it's questionable if the ball actually crossed the line. It hit the cross bar and looked like it went straight down and never really crossed. But the AR had a better view than me.

It's a shame if there was drama to the ending for both teams. It was a very even match and both teams put everything into it.