D3 Region 10

What can you do? I think only Parma (Byers), North Royalton and Brunswick put in to host.

Holy Name can't be at North Royalton (nor is it more convenient vs. Brunswick for Mansfield anyway). Byers would have been essentially another home game for HN (and even further for Mansfield). So Brunswick made the most sense. I'm surprised Cloverleaf (closest those could get to halfway) wasn't interested in hosting that, though, especially since they hosted last year.

That left either Byers or Royalton for Padua-Norton and either way it was going to be down the street from Padua. At least Royalton is a little closer for Norton. Highland, Brecksville or Revere are the only ones that would make more sense and apparently none of them wanted to host.
It makes sense if those are the schools that put in to host. I was just surprised that the neutral site ended up being so close. I’ve personally got no issue with it - my son might actually go to the game, since it’s minutes from our house. He hasn’t wanted to make the trip to any of the other playoff games so far.

It makes sense if those are the schools that put in to host. I was just surprised that the neutral site ended up being so close. I’ve personally got no issue with it - my son might actually go to the game, since it’s minutes from our house. He hasn’t wanted to make the trip to any of the other playoff games so far.
On another thread, I asked who was going to be the home team, and it appears Norton will be since they're the #6 seed and Padua is #10. Neither community has a long commute to NoRo, so both should be well-represented, but your post supports what I was thinking. I think this location will attract more casual Padua followers/fans since the community of North Royalton is probably one of the top suppliers of Padua students besides Parma, Parma Hts., and 7 Hills. I think Padua will easily fill the visitors' stands with many standing or spilling over into the home stands. Your son is a good example. Same for my 25 y/o daughter who is a NoRo grad. She and her husband, a Padua grad, are coming with us mainly to see our youngest in the Padua band but also for the game. My cousin and her and son live in Parma and since he's thinking about going to Padua next year, they're talking going to this game but didn't travel to Tiffin or Buckeye.

So, like you said, Padua may have inadvertently been handed a virtual home game. Regardless, should be a good game at a nice venue, and Padua showed twice in 2022 that it can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on its own field. Hope the weather cooperates.

Last edited:
For Norton fans, I will second North Royalton being a great venue. Parking is great (worst case even if there is a huge crowd, there are plenty of spots right across the street at the library, but I'm guessing the sizable school lots will be enough). Plus, there are a couple of places to grab a bite to eat and a drink within walking distance to the stadium and quite a few more that are within a 1-2 minute drive.

Since Norton is the home team, seating will not be an issue. The home bleachers are big, though I'm guessing there will be some Padua overflow there since I agree they will bring more fans than what the visitor's side holds.

I'll also point out in case anybody who parks off of Ridge Road between the middle school and high schools, the first entrance you'll get to is the back one and you have to go up a pretty steep set of stairs to reach it. But for those who are elderly or disabled, there is the front entrance that can be reached by continuing up the parking lot road to the main entrance off of Royalton Road.

For Mansfield fans, while Cloverleaf would have been the direct midpoint, Brunswick isn't a bad consolation. It's about 15 minutes further up 71 and the stadium is less than a mile off the highway with plenty of bars/restaurants to choose from (unlike Cloverleaf which is literally in the middle of nowhere). The stadium (like Arlin) is huge on both home and visiting sides so no need to worry about finding a good seat. Parking is also plentiful around the stadium. Traffic getting out could be a little slow getting back to Route 303 but unless the stadium is packed (which it won't be for this game), I don't see it being an issue.

Raising4Daughters mentioned that North Royalton is a big feeder city for Padua, Holy Name will also have a similar fan advantage playing at Brunswick because the city of Brunswick (and nearby Strongsville) are two of Holy Name's bigger drawing areas, so Holy Name should have a noticeable crowd advantage. Brunswick seats 10,000 so it won't even come close to being full, though.

For Norton fans, I will second North Royalton being a great venue. Parking is great (worst case even if there is a huge crowd, there are plenty of spots right across the street at the library, but I'm guessing the sizable school lots will be enough). Plus, there are a couple of places to grab a bite to eat and a drink within walking distance to the stadium and quite a few more that are within a 1-2 minute drive.

Since Norton is the home team, seating will not be an issue. The home bleachers are big, though I'm guessing there will be some Padua overflow there since I agree they will bring more fans than what the visitor's side holds.

I'll also point out in case anybody who parks off of Ridge Road between the middle school and high schools, the first entrance you'll get to is the back one and you have to go up a pretty steep set of stairs to reach it. But for those who are elderly or disabled, there is the front entrance that can be reached by continuing up the parking lot road to the main entrance off of Royalton Road.

For Mansfield fans, while Cloverleaf would have been the direct midpoint, Brunswick isn't a bad consolation. It's about 15 minutes further up 71 and the stadium is less than a mile off the highway with plenty of bars/restaurants to choose from (unlike Cloverleaf which is literally in the middle of nowhere). The stadium (like Arlin) is huge on both home and visiting sides so no need to worry about finding a good seat. Parking is also plentiful around the stadium. Traffic getting out could be a little slow getting back to Route 303 but unless the stadium is packed (which it won't be for this game), I don't see it being an issue.

Raising4Daughters mentioned that North Royalton is a big feeder city for Padua, Holy Name will also have a similar fan advantage playing at Brunswick because the city of Brunswick (and nearby Strongsville) are two of Holy Name's bigger drawing areas, so Holy Name should have a noticeable crowd advantage. Brunswick seats 10,000 so it won't even come close to being full, though.
Any idea NR stadium capacity?

Attachments

• F69FD299-9420-48E7-ABCE-14754DEA20C0.jpeg
    F69FD299-9420-48E7-ABCE-14754DEA20C0.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 23
I'm hoping the put the D1R1 finals at Euclid so the R10 finals can be played at Byers. If the stick St. Edward vs. Mentor at Byers, I'm guessing they won't play the Parma Holy War at NoRo since that's Holy Name's home field. Where else if not Byers? Strongsville, Brunswick, Finnie, or Brecksville?

I'm hoping the put the D1R1 finals at Euclid so the R10 finals can be played at Byers. If the stick St. Edward vs. Mentor at Byers, I'm guessing they won't play the Parma Holy War at NoRo since that's Holy Name's home field. Where else if not Byers? Strongsville, Brunswick, Finnie, or Brecksville?
If Euclid was good enough for Ed's-Iggy, it is perfect for Ed's-Mentor.

HN-Padua should be at Byers or Brunswick. I'm fairly confident it will be a larger crowd than the D1 game. Last year, at Brooklyn, the game was sold out by Wednesday and I know several people who wanted to go but couldn't get tickets.

I may be a bit overly optimistic, but I think this has a chance at 8,000-plus. All the storyline are there.

1. Archrivals
2. 4th meeting since last season
3. Last years playoff game was won on a TD by HN on the final play of the game.
4. Holy Name looking to finally break through with a regional title after losing in the finals the past 2 years
5. Padua trying to snap a 3 game losing streak to HN
6. Winner advances to the state final 4

If Euclid was good enough for Ed's-Iggy, it is perfect for Ed's-Mentor.

HN-Padua should be at Byers or Brunswick. I'm fairly confident it will be a larger crowd than the D1 game. Last year, at Brooklyn, the game was sold out by Wednesday and I know several people who wanted to go but couldn't get tickets.

I may be a bit overly optimistic, but I think this has a chance at 8,000-plus. All the storyline are there.

1. Archrivals
2. 4th meeting since last season
3. Last years playoff game was won on a TD by HN on the final play of the game.
4. Holy Name looking to finally break through with a regional title after losing in the finals the past 2 years
5. Padua trying to snap a 3 game losing streak to HN
6. Winner advances to the state final 4
Agreed.....this game belongs at Byers.

Holy Name should be the clear cut favorite.

3rd regional title game in a row for them.
on a 3 game streak against Parma Padua.
It looks and feels like it’s finally time for them to get over the regional finals hump

Dont see this one coming down to the final play, like last playoff game.

Holy Name should be the clear cut favorite.

3rd regional title game in a row for them.
on a 3 game streak against Parma Padua.
It looks and feels like it’s finally time for them to get over the regional finals hump

Dont see this one coming down to the final play, like last playoff game.
Yes, Holy Name should enter as the favorite based on consistency throughout the season and its win over Mansfield which, I think, trumps any Padua win. Week 1 was a very close game with Padua leading 16-14 at the start of the 4th quarter only to lose 21-16. Padua has really come on in the past few weeks, though, since the beat down by Walsh. Defense totally shut down Buckeye and Norton.

I'd take Padua with 4 or more points if betting. Should be a helluva game.

I think the question was more around what region the winner of Friday's game will play, not who will win the game.

It doesn't look like state semifinals pairings have been announced yet.

IMO it is a tossup. This is their 4th meeting in the last 2 years. Holy Name has won the last 3 meetings but they were all very close competitive games. The kids all know each other on and off the field. It should be a great game.
If Padua just sticks to their running game,they will win.They have a size advantage on the lines.When you keep pounding the running game,eventually the defense will tire,and Paduas backs should be able to break a few.Also,it will keep Holy Names QB off the field.

IMO it is a tossup. This is their 4th meeting in the last 2 years. Holy Name has won the last 3 meetings but they were all very close competitive games. The kids all know each other on and off the field. It should be a great game.
The opener last year wasn't as close as the 20-0 final indicated. Holy Name dominated that game, granted the Padua QB was out. The other two were great games.

This one is pretty easy for me to breakdown.

Padua wins if they are able to jump out to an early 2 or 3 TD lead and get Holy Name off track. That is something that Padua (even though I will agree is the slightly more talented team) has not been able to do against Holy Name. I'm not saying that Padua can't win a close game, but Holy Name's success is dependent on controlling the game at their pace. ... being very deliberate on offense and pounding the middle with their big RB and then picking spots to get the QB on the edge or take shots downfield in the passing game. Then relying on their bend but don't break defense to force teams to go 60 to 70 yards without making mistakes.

Holy Name has been able to do that in the last three meetings. So, if it's close, I would not bet against Holy Name, especially since I think the HN coaching staff is one of the best in Ohio.

But Padua has a huge size advantage on the Oline and now two backs that can break off chunk gains. If they can break off a couple big plays and get an early lead and knock Holy Name off its game plan, then they will win. That's been easier said than done. In the past two years, only Elyria Catholic last year in the regular season has really been able to do that, and they blasted HN 41-7 that night. VASJ kind of did it last year as well, though, they more just continually bludgeoned HN to death with 5-10-20 yard runs from their three-headed RB committee. So beat HN at their own game.

As crazy as this sounds, I think you will know how this game will go within the first 15 or so minutes of game time. If Padua jumps on them, they win. If Holy Name sticks around, I like them to again to kind of suffocate Padua and leaving them again wondering "how did we lose that game?"

yeah but winning a regional title would be pretty nice regardless. Best of luck to both teams
Agreed.
Winning a regional title, being in the final 4 and getting to experience a Thanksgiving morning walk-thru is a pretty big deal. Even if what’s waiting for you on Friday might not be pretty. It’s still a awesome experience for whatever group of kids get to experience it.