D3 Cincy/Dayton Tourney

CHCA's lineup was not what it usually was, Aaron Alder the starting centerback was out with a torn hip flexer so there was several lineup switches which saw several people who primarly came off the bench playing the whole game if not most of it...i know MM was somewhat depleted when they played CHCA the first time so that 4-2 score is not that telling...MM really put CHCA on their heels the first half, goal they scored was not exactly one to remember but it definitley was not a garbage or horrible goal...CHCA came out a whole different team the 2nd half, Steve Bernet hit an absolute stunning goal withing the first ten minutes and the score stayed the same 1-1 till the end, i'd say MM won the first half and CHCA wont the 2nd, NOTE OF IMPORTANCE is that Nick Williams was injured with about 15-10 minutes left to play in regulation and did not play after that....in the OT's CHCA completely dominated the run of play, MM had some chances but the ball was primarily in MM defensive third...2 CHCA pk takers missed (1 over, 1 saved) 1 MM pk taker missed (over)...really unfortunate either team had to lose, great game and good luck to MM as they represent Cincy

^^ sounds a lot like what I've heard about the Seven Hills/Yellow Springs game. Springs came out dominant, SH started playing an got control, and loses in PK's.

Predictions on the next round?

SCC versus Madeira

Mariemont versus Yellow Springs

I have to say SCC over Madeira.

And I think the Mariemont game with Yellow Springs is a toss up.

Yellow Springs will have an edge over Mariemont, as both White and Miller are down with something like the flu. Considering teams have been playing in conditions like on Tuesday and Saturday, I'm suprized not more people have become sick.

when is the next round of the tourny? is it tuesday or saturday?

i think MM can beat yellow springs, but if some of the MM players are sick, especially white, it will be tough for MM to pull it off. Also i think SCC will beat Madeira. SCC has a really good sweeper (i forget his name) that i think will be able to cope with 1 on 1's with Bascom/Templeton. and when you have Latham, scoring goals is rarely a problem.

Last edited:
when is the next round of the tourny? is it tuesday or saturday?

i think MM can beat yellow springs, but if some of the MM players are sick, especially white, it will be tough for MM to pull it off. Also i think SCC will beat Madeira. SCC has a really good sweeper (i forget his name) that i think will be able to cope with 1 on 1's with Bascom/Templeton. and when you have Latham, scoring goals is rarely a problem.

It's not so much as Latham and shutting him down. You have Pillon and Campello to worry about also. Pillon has the skills and has proven to be a difference maker. And BTW, YS had a kid qualify for State in Cross Country and still started inthe Seven Hills game.

Ohyeahbaby - Let me be the first to tell you that Williams was at least five places in front of White in the SW Ohio voting by the DIII coaches. Most of those coaches saw both players play and it is pretty evident that Williams was the greater impact than White. They are both great players and do great things for their teams and you can't equate goals scored by a player against the ability to control an entire midfield. I will tell you that Williams contributed to more goals than White did, by scoring, assisting, creating and winning the ball in his area and starting the counter attack to score goals. He also prevented more goals by his relentless work rate than White ever thought of preventing . So quit using your foul language to make a point that is wrong and not very well thought out.

williams impressed you more but white impacts the game way more good joke my --- white has like 25 goals your stupid u ----in retard

Foul language aside, he has a point. Players who can control the midfield come for a dime a dozen these days, (plus no one player can feasibly control the entire midfield for a team, he has help from his other players) but brilliant shooters are a diamond in the rough. Both players create in their respective realms of the field, but one scores off his creations.

Last edited:
I guess what I was trying to get at is that Williams has accounted for significantly more than 25 goals by scoring 10+ himself, assisting 7, creating and controlling the area between the football hash marks from the 25 yd line to the 25 yard line. I do mean controlling that area. He has with his head defended countless corner kicks, goal kicks, set pieces. I can honestly tell you that Williams has won 90% of all headers he went into the air for. So his impact for his team is significant just as White's impact for his team is significant. Can you say one is better maybe or maybe not they are in different positions on the field. CHCA had 6 players that scored over 6 goals this season including Williams so his contribution was in creating those chances for those players. Can you put a number on what White created? Probably but you can't say because he scored 25 goals he is better than someone who may have created 30+.

A dime a dozen? Where at I'd like to buy a few.

Foul language aside, he has a point. Players who can control the midfield come for a dime a dozen these days, (plus no one player can feasibly control the entire midfield for a team, he has help from his other players) but brilliant shooters are a diamond in the rough. Both players create in their respective realms of the field, but one scores off his creations.

can think of a ton or "finishers"/forwards i would rather have than white in D3:
-Hoop (CCS)
-Bascom (Madiera)
-Templeton (Madiera)
-Fink (Seven Hills)
-Letham (SCC)
-Armstrong (Yellow Springs)
-Haddick (Dayton Christian)
-Preide (Summit)

only other midfielder in D3 i would think about taking over williams, and i still wouldn't take him, would be dwyer

***all of these forwards are 20+ goalscorers on the season and i believe Hoop is the only one without a teamate having 10+ goals (point being i dont believe MM has anyone over 10 goals other than white)

idk if u know but white has broken the record at mariemont for most career goals...as a junior thats pretty impressive.. and has 55 points this year...involved in 35+ goals...so i think white has the edge on goals and points...williams may be better in the midfeild but white is a better finisher

can think of a ton or "finishers"/forwards i would rather have than white in D3:
-Hoop (CCS)
-Bascom (Madiera)
-Templeton (Madiera)
-Fink (Seven Hills)
-Letham (SCC)
-Armstrong (Yellow Springs)
-Haddick (Dayton Christian)
-Preide (Summit)

only other midfielder in D3 i would think about taking over williams, and i still wouldn't take him, would be dwyer

***all of these forwards are 20+ goalscorers on the season and i believe Hoop is the only one without a teamate having 10+ goals (point being i dont believe MM has anyone over 10 goals other than white)

Alex Pillon (SCC) and Lane Lucas (FM) needs to be included.

I'm going to say it before anybody else does, Fink did not have 20 goals. He did, however, sit out half the season and all biases aside is a better finisher than White.

And as to the fact that midfielders who can control the game come a dime a dozen, that is just plain wrong. I can think of one midfielder in the entire city that did it last year, Austin Berry. Nobody on CHCA did last year, nobody on Madeira did, an certainly nobody on Mariemont did. In my opinion, it is easier to find a finisher than someone that can control the midfield. I can name atleast one good one on each team.

I'm going to say it before anybody else does, Fink did not have 20 goals. He did, however, sit out half the season and all biases aside is a better finisher than White.

And as to the fact that midfielders who can control the game come a dime a dozen, that is just plain wrong. I can think of one midfielder in the entire city that did it last year, Austin Berry. Nobody on CHCA did last year, nobody on Madeira did, an certainly nobody on Mariemont did. In my opinion, it is easier to find a finisher than someone that can control the midfield. I can name atleast one good one on each team.

wasn't sure on fink for this year... i'm next to positive he had 20+ last year then when he was healthy for the full season (correct me if i'm wrong)

agreed on barry

I think the SCC vs. Madeira game should be another classic. These teams have had some history in the 01 and 02 sesons with the winner going on to be State Champions. Granted that Madeira has two of the best forwards in the state and one that can beat anyone at any given time (Bascom), however, on Saturday against Lehman, there were three other Mustangs that scored goals. Bascom is one of the most unselfish forwards that has scored over 30+ goals. If he was a little more selfish he could have over 40!!! He is, in my opinion the best player in the CHL and district. Not sure about the state because I do not know what is up north. He can go right and left. He is tall so he can go up and win headers. He is long. I mean with his legs. He gets to many balls that you would not think he would get to. However, many may disagree becasue everyone has their favorite. Madeira plays a tough schedule and to get 31 goals in 17 games (after 1st tournament game) is quite impressive. If SCC pays too much attention to Bascom, he can make them pay with his ability to pass to open teammates. Also, Templeton can step up and score. He had two goals against Badin. The sweeper on a team is usually not marking someone, however, I have heard that SCC defense is very good and young. At this stage of the tournament they are not young and inexperienced. The only inexperience they have is not playing in this big of a game, but once it starts the nerves will work themselves out. This game should be a good one.

My opinion of Bascom is based on the number of games that I officiated during the year, about 85. I have seen most of the top players in Cincinnati in DIII and he is the best.

I think it's really hard to say who is the "best" player among Div III this season. So many good players, and they are all so different. Dwyer and Williams both play central midfield so well but so differently. Looking at forwards like Bascom and White, both have a style that can be supereffective against the right opponent. Speaking from first-hand experience, White had an outstanding game against us -- as good as anyone I've seen this season. I've also seen Williams dominate games from his position. Bascom and Templeton have been fantastic for us. But all these players are so different. We're really splitting hairs when we make any comparisons.

There are plenty more fantastic players when you get out of Cincinnati. The forward combination of Latham and Pillion for SCC are phenomenal, just for one example.

I think Templeton is being underrated here. From the games I have been in and seen, he is arguably faster than Bascom and can absolutely crush the ball. All I'm saying, Templeton is an equal threat.

This opinion could be biased by the fact that when I played with Bascom he was the skinny scrappy poacher player that somehow got the ball into the net after all of my hard work to get it that far downfield!

And I think Fink had something like 18 last year (the goal distribution for SH was pretty spread out last year, with Wooworth having about 18, Fink having 7, White and Chatfield combining for about 10, Mannion having 5, etc).

I'm not really sure what so many people see in bascom, although I have never seen him play in high school I know that when he tried out for my CUP team last year I was not impressed at all, he was cut and if he had made it he would have been the worse forward on the team that includes: Bahner(lakota west), Hadick (dayton christian), Rascona (deer park), Stegmaier ( lakota east). I've been far more impressed with players like Williams, White, Dwyer, Hadick, and Latham in D3.

I think Pillon and Latham proved their worthiness tonight. SCC 5, Madeira 0. Pillon has a Hat Trick.

Does anyone know any details about either of the games?

As you may have read in The Enquirer, Springfield Catholic simply dominated the first 20 minutes of the game against Madeira. We couldn't stop Latham...scoring the first goal and putting his forward sidekick behind our defense for three point-blank goals...and it could have been worse. Their defenders (especially the two freshman marking backs) did an outstanding job on our forwards (with the aid of a good team defense around them, particularly from the sweeper). Madeira only had one good chance to score, and that was in the second half. SCC looked unbeatable last night, but they have had a couple close games in the tournament (Greeneview and Franklin-Monroe), so things could be interesting over the next 10 days.

As you may have read in The Enquirer, Springfield Catholic simply dominated the first 20 minutes of the game against Madeira. We couldn't stop Latham...scoring the first goal and putting his forward sidekick behind our defense for three point-blank goals...and it could have been worse. Their defenders (especially the two freshman marking backs) did an outstanding job on our forwards (with the aid of a good team defense around them, particularly from the sweeper). Madeira only had one good chance to score, and that was in the second half. SCC looked unbeatable last night, but they have had a couple close games in the tournament (Greeneview and Franklin-Monroe), so things could be interesting over the next 10 days.

great season...good luck next year

To everyone is D3 ... Congratulations on another great season. To all seniors ... Congratulations on a wonderful career. I've had the luxury of seeing some tremendous seniors finish out their careers in style: Grisell, Williams, Templeton, Bascom, Beyersdorfer, L. White, Widmer, Armstrong, Butler, Lathem, Pillion, etc. I hope you guys continue to give back to the game in some capacity.

Best of luck in your club seasons and thereafter. If you are at the all-star game next week or at the WC-SCC game, please don't hesitate to stop and say hello.