D2/R6 Official 2021 Thread

I hope Gradkowski plans to stick around at TSF for a while. They were a well coached team with some nice talent. If he can build some program depth, they might get back to the Cromwell days someday.

He would have to forget how to pass the ball and learn how to scowl. And need to come-up with snappy lines like

when a reporter asked what did he find in the Avon Lake defense that enabled Gamby and the Knights to dominate the running game, Knights coach Dick Cromwell replied, "About two years ago we found Andrew Stanford."

Last edited:
5 running clock scores (30+ point loss) and 1 upset…a 12 over a 5.

Looks like 12 wouldve been the right number for this region.

It's already the second round and we have some fun battles. Winners in bold:

Anthony Wayne (9-2) at Highland (10-1) -- Coach Brungard will come up with a solid game plan, but the Hornets have a lot of weapons to stop. I see a close first half, but Highland pulls away for a two TD win.

Toledo SJJ (5-5) at Toledo CC (9-2) -- The Titans picked up a satisfying road win over Avon Lake, but the second loss this season to their TRAC rivals will not be so satisfying. This one will be closer than the regular season meeting, but the Irish will win fairly comfortably.

Predicted next game:

Toledo CC vs Highland at Perkins

Fremont Ross (8-3) at Avon (9-2) -- The Little Giants have been tested all year and have proven to be a very good, explosive team. Should be a fun game between two powerful offenses. Avon gets it done at home.

Olmsted Falls (9-2) at Barberton (10-1) -- Upset alert here. The Bulldogs are talented and their triple option offense can be trouble for teams that don't see it much. The Magics have speed, but I feel the power game of Falls will prove to be the difference in a very close game.

Predicted next game:

Olmsted Falls vs Avon at North Ridgeville

Anthony Wayne (9-2) at Highland (10-1) -- Coach Brungard will come up with a solid game plan, but the Hornets have a lot of weapons to stop. I see a close first half, but Highland pulls away for a two TD win.

Toledo SJJ (5-5) at Toledo CC (9-2) -- The Titans picked up a satisfying road win over Avon Lake, but the second loss this season to their TRAC rivals will not be so satisfying. This one will be closer than the regular season meeting, but the Irish will win fairly comfortably.

Predicted next game:

Fremont Ross (8-3) at Avon (9-2) -- The Little Giants have been tested all year and have proven to be a very good, explosive team. Should be a fun game between two powerful offenses. Avon gets it done at home.

Olmsted Falls (9-2) at Barberton (10-1) -- Upset alert here. The Bulldogs are talented and their triple option offense can be trouble for teams that don't see it much. The Magics have speed, but I feel the power game of Falls will prove to be the difference in a very close game.

Predicted next game:

Then only thing I would say about this is that Barberton is not a speed team. They are a power running team.

Then only thing I would say about this is that Barberton is not a speed team. They are a power running team.

I only saw n internet, last year but they seem to have more speed than some of the teams I saw. Could they be both? I really enjoyed watching them last year, even as they put our locals out. They executed. A nice machine they put on the field.

I only saw n internet, last year but they seem to have more speed than some of the teams I saw. Could they be both? I really enjoyed watching them last year, even as they put our locals out. They executed. A nice machine they put on the field.
Yeah, they look quick enough to me. They are certainly not a plodding attack.

Ross definitely will have a challenge next week. I wouldn't be opposed if Lytle(RIP), Brudzinski, Woodson, Simms, Liggins, Isaman, McCarthy et al suited up. And, bring the kitchen sink

Falks beat Barberton no way.
He acknowledged it would be an upset of sort. Also, it could be homerish on his part to set up a Conference rematch.

At any rate, also, Ross has to be unruly house guests to Avon. Drink up all the soda, leave the cans on the ground, and trash the furniture in the process

You were right. The weather in Avon tonight was great.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile as they say. I have little faith in a weather prediction for 7 days away. I do to a lot of umpiring and softball coaching and know first hand that you might as well wait to get a MUCH better prediction 1 maybe 2 days out. Even then it can be iffy. I remember one day we had a HS softball game. And the forecast at 7:00 that morning of the game was 100% rain all day. The radar was green for miles with no let up anywhere in sight. It didn't rain a drop that day at all. From that day on I have not trusted ANY forecast 2 or more days out. I'm glad the forecast was wrong. The weather where I was last night was great for football as well.

It was still coming down pretty strong around Toledo, off and on during games, with some as far as Sandusky. Most of the games I've seen on-line included some near Cleveland/Akron, people were ponchoed up pretty well but it didn't seem as cold as predicted. They've come a LONG way in the weather predicting biz. Turf makes a big difference. Anthony Wayne had a mud-bowl.

Reactions: AXE
Anyone have a first round upset to predict? Roscoe felt that St Francis might take down Avon. If I had to pick what I would theconsider an upset, it would be St John’s over Avon Lake. The Shoremen really struggled in the back half of the season.John’s
The Titans haven’t exactly been tearing it up the last half of the season. AL- home field advantage and cute cheerleaders to distract the love starved Johnnies. Edge AL. It is not like the Shoremen didn’t beat Avon, Strongsville, and Elyria this year.

He acknowledged it would be an upset of sort. Also, it could be homerish on his part to set up a Conference rematch.

At any rate, also, Ross has to be unruly house guests to Avon. Drink up all the soda, leave the cans on the ground, and trash the furniture in the process
Definitely not a slap at Barberton. Anyone that’s followed this thread all year knows I’ve had the Magics ranked high all year. Gotto and staff can coach em up with the best of them. I really do not want to see an Avon vs OF rematch, as it was hard enough for Avon to put them down once this season. Twice is a lot to ask. Not that I think the Magics would be easier, just different. This Falls team reminds me a bit of the group that knocked out a heavily favored Wadsworth a few years back. But as I said, I don’t see a runaway and obviously will not be surprised if Barberton wins.

As for Ross? They don’t need to bring back the legends. Besides, I wouldn’t want to risk a fist fight with Isaman in the parking lot - haha. My work takes me to Fremont often enough, so I hear a lot of local talk about the Little Giants. They are another team I’ve been high on all season, and I know they can score on anyone when they are clicking…and they have a special player in Holmes. Avon can put up the points too, so this one could be a barn burner if both offenses are feeling it. A Ross win will not shock me at all. This was a strong year in the TRAC. The teams are all battle hardened.

The Titans haven’t exactly been tearing it up the last half of the season. AL- home field advantage and cute cheerleaders to distract the love starved Johnnies. Edge AL. It is not like the Shoremen didn’t beat Avon, Strongsville, and Elyria this year.
Yeah, I was hoping after the win over Avon that both would run the table for a rematch deep in the playoffs. I felt Avon had a significant talent advantage and let the game get away from them vs AL, so I knew this wasn’t up there with the best Shoremen teams I’ve seen over the decades, but I also have mad respect for their tradition, toughness and for the coaching staff, so the back half of the season for them really puzzled me. I couldn’t ignore it, though, and felt their playoffs this year would be short. It happens. Wasn’t too many years ago AL ended Avon’s playoffs in Week 11.

Last edited:
Two questions. Both are kind of the same but:

Does Anthony Wayne have a chance to beat Medina Highland?

Does Fremont have a chance to be at Avon?

If I didn’t have a good old-fashioned rivalry hate match on my doorstep this Friday I probably would’ve looked into seeing either game.

AW’s defense will keep them in the game.

Fremont’s offense may keep them in their game. I say may because their offense is hit or miss.

Honestly I don’t see the rematch being very close.

AWs defense hasn't had anyone to play since second week. A not exactly explosive Pbrug put 20 on them, though I don't know where that 20 occurred in-game. Could have all been Q4. Highland is not exactly big or fast. They have depth and discipline and know the game. They have a decent wrestling program which can translate to a decent line, a quick line. They scout well. AW has a real shot. I think they'll bring a bigger line and a disciplined team.

Fremont is a match-up team, I haven't seen a lot of adjust in their games. They either have the advantage or they don't. Avon, that 38-0 on Brunswick.... Looking at Medina's schedule, Avon looks the equal of Harding, Mentor, and Brunswick. But, 38-0.

Fremont gave Central their best conference game and put more points on Whitmer than all but Central and Jerome. Avon smacked Glenville, they can handle athletes but I'm getting the feeling they are pouring on points when they have the advantage, no clock control. I think AL is the measure game. I don't see any advantage areas for Fremont but if they don't quit when behind, I think they'll give Avon a game.

Last edited:
Anybody have an upset pick for tonight? Not really sure if any team that has made it to this round deserves to have their win called an upset, but there is typically a favorite and an underdog in every game. I picked Falls to "upset" Barberton, so I guess that would be an upset pick...but it's my pick, so I'll go with AW springing the upset over Highland. Now, other than TCC vs SJJ, I think every game could go either way as there are some great match ups tonight.

Anybody have an upset pick for tonight? Not really sure if any team that has made it to this round deserves to have their win called an upset, but there is typically a favorite and an underdog in every game. I picked Falls to "upset" Barberton, so I guess that would be an upset pick...but it's my pick, so I'll go with AW springing the upset over Highland. Now, other than TCC vs SJJ, I think every game could go either way as there are some great match ups tonight.
I see things as staying the course tonight and what should happen, happens.

Could set up for a massive matchup between AW and CC. People in Northwest Ohio have wanted to see that happen for many years now.

What? How many people? Who are they? No one tells me anything.
I know many were anticipating a regional final game against TCC and an undefeated AW team that ended up losing to Olentangy in the semifinals in 2019.

yeah, so they wouldn't have to drive.

Even with the win against SJJ, AW's schedule just didn't give much to go by that year. That would have been nice game to have but in hindsight, probably no-contest.

TCC’s Braden Awls with 2 (two) pick-sixes and a clutch fake punt fourth down conversion that led to an Irish score.

TCC up 31-0 at half

TCC’s Braden Awls with 2 (two) pick-sixes and a clutch fake punt fourth down conversion that led to an Irish score.

TCC up 31-0 at half
Avon 24
Fremont Ross 12

Highland 28
Anthony Wayne 7

Olmsted Falls 21
Barberton 0

All at the half.

Predicted next game:

Predicted next game:

Barberton is getting crushed!

Congrats to Olmsted Falls, they were the better team tonight. Barberton was clearly not on their "A" game tonight, but not to take away from the Olmsted Falls. Tough to watch tonight.