D2 Boardman

D3 boys might be the worst I've ever seen it in NE region. After Maplewood, it is really weak, The GlenOak District was won by a team without a runner under 18:00. If they had been in the D2 race, the top 5 teams would have put 5 in before their #1 and #6 team would have put four in front of their #1. The LCCC D3 was not much better.

What team is the one left out in Boys D2? Right now, without doing a ton of figuring, it looks like Lakeview and Field will be battling for that last spot. Marlington, Woodridge and Hawken look fairly secure and Kenston and Bay. Very competitive Regional race.

Marlington
Woodridge
Kenston
Field
Bay
Lakeview
Hawken

Looks to me like Marlington should win easily. Then Hawken, Woodridge, Bay , Kenston, Field with Lakeview just out of making it.

Oh man, I was wrong. Woodridge won! I had Lakeview and Salem flip flopped. Nice job by Field. Sort of sucks to take some lumps in the conference, but must be nice to shine at the regional. Bay has the foundation for a real strong team next year. (Woodridge returns even better though.) I gave Hawken too much credit at 4&5.
Kenston is rock solid.

I think Salem, Lakeview and Talmadge are ok egitvatvany of the other 3 Regionals.

Both Woodridge boys and girls overcame significant injuries to key runners to win both. It was getting sort of old seeing Marlington boys win the past few years. I'm sure everyone is happy to see a new fresh face take first. I know I am.

Last edited:
Oh man, I was wrong. Woodridge won! I had Lakeview and Salem flip flopped. Nice job by Field. Sort of sucks to take some lumps in the conference, but must be nice to shine at the regional. Bay has the foundation for a real strong team next year. (Woodridge returns even better though.) I gave Hawken too much credit at 4&5.
Kenston is rock solid.

I think Salem, Lakeview and Talmadge are ok egitvatvany of the other 3 Regionals.

Both Woodridge boys and girls overcame significant injuries to key runners to win both. It was getting sort of old seeing Marlington boys win the past few years. I'm sure everyone is happy to see a new fresh face take first. I know I am.
Look at Marlingtons 5th runner went 17:50 today has a pr of 16:10 next week? It might be personal for him I think he will come with vengeance

Kenston is rock solid.

Well he was there 6th today but is normally there 4th

Look at Marlingtons 5th runner went 17:50 today has a pr of 16:10 next week? It might be personal for him I think he will come with vengeance
Woodridge normal #2 all season was their #6, so they have a ton of room for improvement. Marlington should have won no doubt about that. Marlington should be fighting it out with Fairfield Union for the championship. I had doubts about Fairfield Union, but I don't anymore. Everyone is chasing Fairfield Union and Marlington.

Woodridge normal #2 all season was their #6, so they have a ton of room for improvement. Marlington should have won no doubt about that. Marlington should be fighting it out with Fairfield Union for the championship. I had doubts about Fairfield Union, but I don't anymore. Everyone is chasing Fairfield Union and Marlington.
Sure they are. 🙄

I believe this makes 20 straight years for the Woodridge boys and girls both qualifying to state.
I think this is 19 for the girls and 20 for the boys. 2004 for the boys and 2005 for the girls. The encouraging thing is both boys and girls bring back state qualifying teams. Both are very young. Boys have 3 sophs, 1 frosh and a junior. Girls are 4 freshman and a junior. Each lose 2 seniors.

What is impressive is the development of the middle and back end runners. It's the kids that were the 10th best sophomore at the league meet that become the 10th best senior at the state meet that keep things rolling. While everyone is looking at the one stud Freshman on the team, they are missing that 3 others are steadily improving. The season to season improvement of the middle to back end forces the front end to improve. No one does it better.

I think this is 19 for the girls and 20 for the boys. 2004 for the boys and 2005 for the girls. The encouraging thing is both boys and girls bring back state qualifying teams. Both are very young. Boys have 3 sophs, 1 frosh and a junior. Girls are 4 freshman and a junior. Each lose 2 seniors.

What is impressive is the development of the middle and back end runners. It's the kids that were the 10th best sophomore at the league meet that become the 10th best senior at the state meet that keep things rolling. While everyone is looking at the one stud Freshman on the team, they are missing that 3 others are steadily improving. The season to season improvement of the middle to back end forces the front end to improve. No one does it better.
My bad. I knew the boys' streak dates back to '04 but also thought the girls had the longer of the 2 streaks. 19 it is.

D2 Girls
1 Lexington
2 Minerva
3 Woodridge
4 Waynesville
5 Oakwood
6 Tallmadge
7 O-Glendorf
8 Athens
9 CVCA

Boys. Fairfield Union, Marlington, Woodridge. If Woodridge #2 can make a comeback, they win. FU #1 and #2 are much better than I thought early on. The improvement from last year is great. Pretty solid 3,4 too. Not a bad 5 either. They should win it. Marlington has not been consistent, but they only need a good day by one runner to win it. Woodridge did not run well at the Regional and still won. If it's potential, you go FU, Marlington, Woodridge. All comes down to Woodridge normal #2. . All Region 5 schools should be top 10.

Girls, It's between Lexington and Woodridge. On paper Lexington should win. Irony is that Woodridge is usually deep, but this year it's a top 3 that is about as good as it gets that makes them look so good. Still comes down to 4,5. Unfortunately normal #5 is hurt so it goes to #6. Coming along, so they have a punchers chance.

Boys. Fairfield Union, Marlington, Woodridge. If Woodridge #2 can make a comeback, they win. FU #1 and #2 are much better than I thought early on. The improvement from last year is great. Pretty solid 3,4 too. Not a bad 5 either. They should win it. Marlington has not been consistent, but they only need a good day by one runner to win it. Woodridge did not run well at the Regional and still won. If it's potential, you go FU, Marlington, Woodridge. All comes down to Woodridge normal #2. . All Region 5 schools should be top 10.

Girls, It's between Lexington and Woodridge. On paper Lexington should win. Irony is that Woodridge is usually deep, but this year it's a top 3 that is about as good as it gets that makes them look so good. Still comes down to 4,5. Unfortunately normal #5 is hurt so it goes to #6. Coming along, so they have a punchers chance.
For girls I believe Minerva has a shot as well. Their top 5 girls all ran under 20 at Pickerington. Woodridge has a weaker 4 and 5 than Minerva does. But who knows until the day of the race. Woodridge is a strong program with an experienced coach who knows how to peak his runners. Lexington has a solid 1-2 that are already in front of Minerva’s #1.

For girls I believe Minerva has a shot as well. Their top 5 girls all ran under 20 at Pickerington. Woodridge has a weaker 4 and 5 than Minerva does. But who knows until the day of the race. Woodridge is a strong program with an experienced coach who knows how to peak his runners. Lexington has a solid 1-2 that are already in front of Minerva’s #1.
Woodridge should put 3 in front of Minerva's #1. The problem for Woodridge is injury at 5. Minerva has a shot. It comes down to Minerva 1-5 vs Lexington's 3-5 vs Woodridge 4&5.

Good call on Minerva. Have to really give them credit. #1 picked up 5 points on Woodridge by going past Woodridge 2&3. Woodridge not having #5 hurt, but they still could have pulled it off and no excuses at the state meet.

Marlington boys put it together. I honestly thought Woodridge would be 3rd. Proud of 2nd. They were leaking oil the last month.

D2 All 6 teams from Boardman Regional in top 7 for boys.

D2- 4 of the girls teams in top 10.

Jackson boys winning D1 was impressive.,

Good call on Minerva. Have to really give them credit. #1 picked up 5 points on Woodridge by going past Woodridge 2&3. Woodridge not having #5 hurt, but they still could have pulled it off and no excuses at the state meet.

Marlington boys put it together. I honestly thought Woodridge would be 3rd. Proud of 2nd. They were leaking oil the last month.

Minerva tends to focus on racing even splits instead of positive or negative ones. Their #1 and #3 runner actually transferred over from Louisville because their program has declined talent wise (minus their top girl not sure about boys). Very Impressed with Marlington boys as well. It’s nice to see 2 small town teams be atop the state podium instead of private schools.

What a beautiful day for cross country - gray venue too

The Minerva Girls Never Received One Single Vote The Entire Season in the State Coaches Poll but just got off the Fire Trucks with Two State Championships Trophies in three years. No seniors in the top 7 this year.
Stark County Enjoys bringing home three of the six state team titles for the second time in three years.

Minerva tends to focus on racing even splits instead of positive or negative ones. Their #1 and #3 runner actually transferred over from Louisville because their program has declined talent wise (minus their top girl not sure about boys). Very Impressed with Marlington boys as well. It’s nice to see 2 small town teams be atop the state podium instead of private schools.
Like Woodridge?

What a beautiful day for cross country - gray venue too

The Minerva Girls Never Received One Single Vote The Entire Season in the State Coaches Poll but just got off the Fire Trucks with Two State Championships Trophies in three years. No seniors in the top 7 this year.
Stark County Enjoys bringing home three of the six state team titles for the second time in three years.
Minerva girls shouldn't have gotten a single #1 vote until today. Woodridge beat them heads up earlier and if not for a broken foot, they more than likely would have today too. They were getting votes. They were ranked top 3 most of the year. They were respected and they performed when it counted.

Minerva's 1 and 3 have been at Minerva since 8th grade. Regardless, Minerva has done a good job of producing MS talent and getting it to improve and stay interested in HS. Feel good for those kids and that community after the tragedy that befell the boys' program last fall.

Last edited:
The Way Way Way Too Early Division II 2024 girls Prediction- (only looked at the returning top 12 teams from state this year)
1. Minerva- Defending Champions- No Seniors- Really Strong Middle School Team/2 strong freshman coming in
2. Athens- placed 10th- returning the top girl in the state- graduating 4, 5- Two Unbelievable Freshman coming in- crazy good talent coming
3. Woodridge-runner up finish-- Graduating #1(state Champion) and #4- Not a great middle school year- Amazing Coach-program- always in the mix
4. CVCA- placed 9th- graduating #2 and #7- Bringing in at least one super freshman
5. Lexington- placed third- Graduating #2 down MS year- Amazing Coach- Program- Always in the mix
6. Oakwood- placed 7th- graduating #3 and #7- Pretty strong MS- Always a top ten team
7. J. Alder- placed 11- NO SENIORS- Solid MS Program- Could be a surprise team if pack can move up after #1 girl
8. Granville- placed 12- Graduated #1- Bringing in one phenomenal freshman- Outstanding program
9. Salem- Placed 8th- Graduated #3 and #7- Top MS Girls are 7th grade- trouble with 4-7
10 Tallmadge- Placed 4th- Graduating #3 and #4-

Waynesville is graduating 1,3,4,5--------O. Glendorf- Graduating 2-3-5

The Way Way Way Too Early Division II 2024 girls Prediction- (only looked at the returning top 12 teams from state this year)
1. Minerva- Defending Champions- No Seniors- Really Strong Middle School Team/2 strong freshman coming in
2. Athens- placed 10th- returning the top girl in the state- graduating 4, 5- Two Unbelievable Freshman coming in- crazy good talent coming
3. Woodridge-runner up finish-- Graduating #1(state Champion) and #4- Not a great middle school year- Amazing Coach-program- always in the mix
4. CVCA- placed 9th- graduating #2 and #7- Bringing in at least one super freshman
5. Lexington- placed third- Graduating #2 down MS year- Amazing Coach- Program- Always in the mix
6. Oakwood- placed 7th- graduating #3 and #7- Pretty strong MS- Always a top ten team
7. J. Alder- placed 11- NO SENIORS- Solid MS Program- Could be a surprise team if pack can move up after #1 girl
8. Granville- placed 12- Graduated #1- Bringing in one phenomenal freshman- Outstanding program
9. Salem- Placed 8th- Graduated #3 and #7- Top MS Girls are 7th grade- trouble with 4-7
10 Tallmadge- Placed 4th- Graduating #3 and #4-

Waynesville is graduating 1,3,4,5--------O. Glendorf- Graduating 2-3-5
Flip Flop Athens and Woodridge and Flip Flop Lexington and CVCA. I'll have to look more closely this weekend, but not bad.