Votes: 54 32.5%
  • Anderson by 1-8

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Anderson by 9-16

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Anderson by 17+

Votes: 12 7.2%

• Total voters
It will all be a moot point if Massillon doesn't win Thursday night. Everything fell in place and went Massillon's way against Anderson. It looked like Massillon came out of the game injury free and regardless of the score, Anderson gave Massillon a workout. I think Massillon is playing its best overall ball of the season. Don't let up.

#43 came up gimpy and didn't return so fingers crossed. He's been underrated all year. And #3 was district DPOY so obviously we'd prefer him in there. Hoban is Hoban, will need our best effort. Have to win the penalty and turnover battle.

It will all be a moot point if Massillon doesn't win Thursday night. Everything fell in place and went Massillon's way against Anderson. It looked like Massillon came out of the game injury free and regardless of the score, Anderson gave Massillon a workout. I think Massillon is playing its best overall ball of the season. Don't let up.
I agree, but Massillon is the reason why everything went their way....limited penalties, and of the ones they DID have there were no stupid/selfish ones....and no turnovers. This is what Massillon can do when they take care of the ball and don't commit PF's and unsportmanlikes. In that aspect alone in was a pleasure to watch last night.

Sorry but I call bs on all this fire the coach crap. They weren’t winning this game no matter what. They actually tackled a Massillon player like five times in the first half, it was either end zone or pray to get them out of bounds. No matter how they managed field position, they couldn’t stop Massillon. It would have just been more time off the clock. Maybe they lose by 35 instead of 48. Who cares?

Dryer’s been there 7 or 8 years, has been successful throughout, battled through 3 years where WW and Kings had golden classes at the top, and nobody else had a shot, and as has been noted, took a 5-5 team to the Region finals last year, damn near won it using that philosophy. This year the field opened up and it came together for them. His team got thumped in the Semis, just like Massillon last year, and look where the Tigers are now.

They’re returning a ton next year, will be the favorites to win the ECC, which makes them Region 8 favorites, and that philosophy is a major reason why. It strikes terror in the defenses they play. It’s a psychological weapon that gains them a major advantage. Sure it’s going to blow up sometimes, but that doesn’t mean not doing it won’t blow up. Playing more conservatively robs them of their best shot at beating teams with tons more talent like they’ll face year after year if they keep making it to the Massillon/Hoban/Avon Invitational.

If they change, I’ll be sad, even though I’d love to see them punt every fourth down against Kings. This is the beginning for them. They’ll be back, and if breaks go different, and they’re not playing a once in a generation team, he might look brilliant for not compromising some day.

I actually agree here. They were a semi-finalist. That's a great season. They just need a better D. For a public school alot of that is luck of the draw. This year's Massillon D doesn't grow on trees. We had to suffer seasons like everyone else, where it just wasn't good enough to compete with private powerhouses and those olines. But if/when one comes along Anderson will be an extremely tough out. And maybe(?) won't gamble so much deep in their territory but who knows.

I now see why everyone hates Massillon fans so much.

The whole week while everyone was saying they'd win, it was woah is me, why are we the underdog.

Now it's over the top gloating like a bunch of whiny kids.

You are like the super hot chick that everyone hates because she is a to everyone and cries nonstop about not being able to hold onto a dude or why she has no friends.

Seriously, I used to think Elder had the worst fans, now I know better.
Just because some Massilkon fans don't agree with you that some dropped passes wouldn't have been automatic touchdowns, Massillon fans are terrible?

Yes, they dropped some passes. Do I believe that if those passes were caught, that at least 2 of them would have been touchdowns, no I don't. They would have been decent chunk plays, but I don't believe that their receivers would have been able to out run the Massillon defensive backs.

Maybe those dropped passes had something to do with Massillon? Maybe those drops were because the Anderson receivers were afraid of getting popped after the catch?
I definitely know of at least 2 cases where I saw the Anderson receivers develop "alligator arms". Would you agree?

Am I still a "homer"for having faith in a defense I been watching since May? I tried to tell y'all all week what was gonna happen now I ain't expect a 55-7 type game but our defense is something serious bro. I do love Anderson style of offense tho
Damn bro can I get a min to eat my crow… I just saw this AFTER I already apologized lol

Damn bro can I get a min to eat my crow… I just saw this AFTER I already apologized lol
You’re good man lol 😂 not many if any expected the final score. But I didn’t think they would get more than 2 TD’s. I watched them play 4 games and I just didn’t buy it. Not that Anderson isn’t good because they are. I just honestly felt like our defense has seen everything this year and we give up a TD a game. We adjust so quick this year. It’s almost immediately. We have the size, speed, talent, etc.. but what makes this group different this year is the football IQ. We play smart, fast, and physical. I like what Anderson does it’s different. I just didn’t like that their coach goes for it on 4th down like that. I know they do it all the time but that deep in your own territory I’m not a fan of. I get the thoughts behind it against most teams but not in a state semifinal game

If you make 5 or more yards on most plays, the odds are in your favor on 4th and 5. If you make less, they're not.

Anderson ran 70 plays. 39 were for 0 or negative yards. That means the expected outcome of any given play was no gain. If that play is 4th down, it means the odds are you won't make it. One can be sure that the numbers were different against other teams, so going for it on 4th was a calculated risk with a reasonable chance of success. But in this game against this team, there is no logic or analysis which supports those decisions.

If you make 5 or more yards on most plays, the odds are in your favor on 4th and 5. If you make less, they're not.

Anderson ran 70 plays. 39 were for 0 or negative yards. That means the expected outcome of any given play was no gain. If that play is 4th down, it means the odds are you won't make it. One can be sure that the numbers were different against other teams, so going for it on 4th was a calculated risk with a reasonable chance of success. But in this game against this team, there is no logic or analysis which supports those decisions.
How about the logic that they converted the first three they tried, and would have scored no points if they hadn’t gone for it at mid-field on their first drive?

How about the logic that they converted the first three they tried, and would have scored no points if they hadn’t gone for it at mid-field on their first drive?
Luck isn't logic. Or, if you prefer, the exception doesn't disprove the rule.

BTW, they didn't convert the first three.

Finally, their first conversion was from the Massillon 38 (not midfield). That may be a little more reasonable, but only because of field position. Unless you've got a lot of confidence on your punter, there's a good chance of a touchback. That's effectively an 18-yard punt. Might as well roll the dice there.

Last edited:
Luck isn't logic. Or, if you prefer, the exception doesn't disprove the rule.
How about the logic that the one time they punted in the first half, it resulted in like an 8 play, 65 yard TD drive? They weren’t going to stop Massillon no matter where they put them on the field. So they weren’t going to win. Changing their identity in the fifteenth game of the season wasn’t going to change that.

How about the logic that the one time they punted in the first half, it resulted in like an 8 play, 65 yard TD drive? They weren’t going to stop Massillon no matter where they put them on the field. So they weren’t going to win. Changing their identity in the fifteenth game of the season wasn’t going to change that.
Perhaps not, but it might have made the difference between getting beat and getting embarrassed.

Perhaps not, but it might have made the difference between getting beat and getting embarrassed.
In the second quarter, at 28-7, when Dryer started going for it on 4th and 12 and 4th and 15 from his own twenties, it was Tin Cup. He knew he wasn’t winning the Open, so even though he might go down in flames, he was going to do it his way. I for one tip my cap, and hope he never changes.

You’re good man lol 😂 not many if any expected the final score. But I didn’t think they would get more than 2 TD’s. I watched them play 4 games and I just didn’t buy it. Not that Anderson isn’t good because they are. I just honestly felt like our defense has seen everything this year and we give up a TD a game. We adjust so quick this year. It’s almost immediately. We have the size, speed, talent, etc.. but what makes this group different this year is the football IQ. We play smart, fast, and physical. I like what Anderson does it’s different. I just didn’t like that their coach goes for it on 4th down like that. I know they do it all the time but that deep in your own territory I’m not a fan of. I get the thoughts behind it against most teams but not in a state semifinal game
Yea I’ve been saying it all week that going for it on 4th on the wrong side of the 50 won’t go well

They couldn’t change their identity, and they were going to struggle to stop the Tigers, but sometimes you need to punt the football. They did get a couple stops. You can’t give a team like Massillon short fields. Try changing the field position for your offense. They went with what they thought they needed to do, but they did not have favorable odds on those 4th down calls. The effort was there the horses were not! Respect to the Anderson players and coaches. Tough night!

They would have a better chance of stopping a 80 yd drive than a 30.