D-1 recruits?

cincycats22

I was wondering how many players on this years football team have a good chance of playing Division 1 football in college.

On defense alone I would say:
DT Frank Becker
DE Brian Lane
DE Andy Wersel
LB Greg Jones
DB Patch Mclellan(sp?)

scout has becker listed as a one star with no offers at this time.

becker- medium interest in bc, uc, nd and a few others
lane- not listed on scout
wersel- listed as one star, no schools on list.
jones- one star no schools listed
mccllean- tried a few variations of last name and not listed.

becker is a sure fire d1 recruit. will end up at a smaller bcs school or in a strong mac school. wersel and jones might end up in the mac but are not guarenteed

skins99 said:
mccllean- tried a few variations of last name and not listed.
His name is Pat McClellan. Rivals.com has a profile on him, as does Miami Hawk Talk Recruiting News. Rivals says he has interest from Purdue, Indiana, Miami, Akron and Buffalo.

Wersel is by far the best player out of that group, yet he seems to be getting the least amount of D-1 interest. I dont get it sometimes...

I think the issue for all of those kids comes back to the physical measurements that often dictate the recruiting process. Most people would agree that Robbie Schoenhoft was highly rated due to his physical attributes rather than his results on the field.

I think Wersel plays d line yet he would be an undersized d lineman in even the MAC. This is probably similar to the kid from Elder (Carvitti I think) who wasnt highly recruited because of his size. Yet i believe he will be a starter for UC.

skins99 said:
becker is a sure fire d1 recruit. will end up at a smaller bcs school or in a strong mac school. wersel and jones might end up in the mac but are not guarenteed

I know Jones is getting a lot of interest from BC, Purdue, and the MAC schools. I think Lane has a shot at getting a MAC scholly, Becker will get a chance to play at a BCS type school if he wants, Wersel is undersized, and would be a steal for whoever gets him in the MAC...

crusader3 said:
I know Jones is getting a lot of interest from BC, Purdue, and the MAC schools. I think Lane has a shot at getting a MAC scholly, Becker will get a chance to play at a BCS type school if he wants, Wersel is undersized, and would be a steal for whoever gets him in the MAC...

i put up the ones i could find on scout.

I heard last night from a very good source (parent of one of these 5) that Wersel picked up an offer from Ball State recently and is the first of the 5 to get a scholarship offer.

I think in order of college potential it goes with the top to almost interchangeable

Jones
Becker
Wersel
Lane
McCllelan

Last edited:
I heard that Greg Jones had a really nice camp over the weekend at UC, and could have an offer coming soon. If he really is a legit 4.6 guy, I definitely think you could see UC and some others potentially offer him...

Don Flamenco said:
I heard Greg Jones got a UC offer today...

I believe it is true. Wersel has offers from Ball State and Western Michigan, two MAC programs. Jones has an offer from the Bearcats. Those are the only two Moeller guys with early offers. Can anyone confirm?

Yes that is correct from what I understand as well. Jones had a really good camp at UC, he impressed me. Him and Jeremy Matthews a Linebacker at Princeton were as good as any of the Linebackers at the camp who came in with all kinds of hype...

i definatley woundnt call him a minnesota lock, he has many schools asking him to send in a highlight tape after the first few games of next season as he will be switching back to lb

Yeah LB is definitely his best position. I really hope UC stays after him hard, because he is the kind of player they need to put them at the top of the Big East. They seem to finally be in the mix for some of the top local players...