Crosstown Shootout

Who wins

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's be clear, Cronin stated that he physically took the jerseys off some himself. Cronin held a post game pep rally, that's all he did. It was all talk and you fell for the hypocrisy.

It wasn't all talk. He was speaking honestly. I heard him say he ripped off a couple of jerseys. Hell maybe he did with the help of that strength and conditioning guy that is always around he could have done that. You and I were not in that locker room.

Sure... Lol it was also clear to me that his Dad was almost arrested for fighting a Xavier fan in the stands. No one talks about that though. Did he ask his Dad to remove his UC gear too?

Can you provide me a link to Hep Cronin (how old is he now) almost getting arrested for fighting? I haven't seem old Hep throwing bodies around on any of the many tapes of what happened.

Actually I know that UC trash talks. I have heard it. As I said there is a time for trash talking and a time for shutting up. When the game is decided it is time to shut up. Tiem to take the starters out, let the crowd aknowledge them and celebrate on your own bench.

Interesting that you try to take the high road and say both schools are equally to blame and are embarrased but then say UC didn't handle anything well and are hypocrites over the national and local media. :laugh: You are making my point. Xavier doens't feel they did anything wrong ( other than their freshman pushing a guy) and are just in spin control over how bad they looked over the interview that Holloway and Lyons gave after the game. That I believe is the definition of hypocritical.

Both schools are embarrassing and full of crap IMO. If the apology was sincere then both side would of apologized to the other fan base, players, and coaches, not just their own. If Holloway would of apologized to UC and it's players, coaches, and fans then I would start to believe that was sincere. Same thing for Yancey Gates, and Mick Cronin. I'm not supporting Xavier suspensions or actions at all.

Can you provide me a link to Hep Cronin (how old is he now) almost getting arrested for fighting? I haven't seem old Hep throwing bodies around on any of the many tapes of what happened.

I was at the game and sitting behind the benches in the upper deck. 10 or 15 minutes following the game a fight broke out behind the scoreres table in the stands. Police had to seperate the two sides. Hep needed multiple people to pull him back.

I was at the game and sitting behind the benches in the upper deck. 10 or 15 minutes following the game a fight broke out behind the scoreres table in the stands. Police had to seperate the two sides. Hep needed multiple people to pull him back.

a 5'10" 70 year old needed multiple people to hold him back?

I saw that too...I wasn't even going to bring it up because you know some people would go nuts over it.

Hep needed multiple people to pull him back? :laugh: Maybe I need to take back what I said about Cronin's ability to physically take those jerseys off the players in the locker room. If he is cut from the same cloth as his old man he probably could just rip that thing off Gates anytime he wants. :laugh: :laugh:

haven't chimed in yet. this might be long, but these are my thoughts after sitting back and looking at everything that transpired over this past week:

there is plenty of blame to go around for this whole thing blowing up the way it did at the end and to be truthful, not many people can hide from sharing part of it, on either side.

let's start in chronological order:

1.) the Furman/Kilpatrick interview. Furman baits Sean into saying something that he probably doesn't really mean and doesn't think will go public, but Furman is a d#$% and wants to :stirthepot: , so he adds fuel to a rivalry that really doesn't need anymore. Tu already plays with a chip on his shoulder. he didn't need anymore motivation to prove himself to UC. Kilpatrick and Furman put some gasoline on that with that interview. it started there.

2.) the refs. i can't believe these guys get a pass on this at all. all it would've taken is one quick technical early in the game when they heard someone (Tu or Lyons, probably) trash-talking, taunting, etc. and then just telling the teams/coaches "hey, next guy to trash talk after a play is getting T'd up, then ejected" and that probably would've been the end of it. i can't believe they actually came out and said these guys did a great job during the game. its inexcusable. i dont know why they didn't T up Lyons at the end of the first half. he stood there for the last 30 seconds while Tu dribbled out the clock to get a last shot and just jawwed at the UC bench while play was still going on. he had no clue what was happening in the play at all. that's why the UC kid came off the bench at Lyons. if the ref T's them both up right there and tells the teams that if they hear it again, more T's will come, it probably would've ended there. they let it go on without consequences. they could've easily prevented this from escalating.

3.) coaches. i put more on Mack than Mick. when you're up 20+ with under 2 minutes, you get your starters out of the game. get your seniors/starters an ovation from the crowd, let your subs enjoy a moment on the floor in the shootout and possibly a shot at getting some points at the end of the shot clock. i also can't believe that Mack hasn't reigned these guys in (Tu and Lyons mostly) slightly, knowing full well that their mouths were, at some point in time, going to get them in trouble during a game (or after as well, in this case). Tu and Lyons have been given way too long of leash in terms of the "extra" stuff that they get away with on the court. it was bound to come to this at some point.

not sure if Mack is the guy who sends people in to the press conference afterwards, but if he is, he deserves blame for anyone going in to talk after that. he should've sent one of his assistants to do the radio and he should've addressed the TV media. or, he should've told the TV media that they would have to wait until he was done with the radio before he would come in and speak. that was inexcusable also. those 2 should never have been allowed to address the media.

3.) players. most of them share in this one. Tu and Lyons mostly. they didn't stop talking trash from the beginning of the game until the end. it was embarrassing. i already talked about what Lyons was doing, but why Tu, up 20+ points with 20 seconds left, are you jawwing at the UC bench??? why? YER UP 20!!! just like you said in the press conference: you let your play do the talking. so why didn't you let your play do the talking??? why did you have to run your mouth??? why did have you have to get face to face with a FRESHMEN at the end of the game??? punk is what he and Lyons both are. never liked Lyons at all. dislike him more now. Tu just dropped a few notches as well.

Wells - i know you're young, a freshmen, emotional, etc, but the one rule you have as a player if your teammates are anywhere near getting into a possible fight on the court and that is this: Get YOUR teammates away from the situation. If Wells goes over there and pulls Tu away and just says "c'mon, man. we won by 20. let's go. game's over.", none of it probably happens. be glad you only got 4 games and not more.

Gates - same advice as i gave Wells. get in there and get your players out. don't go in swinging. he's lucky Lyons actually calmed him down and got him away from everything because he could've done worse and gotten a worse punishment. he's lucky to only get 6.

not sure who stomped on Frease when he was down, but that's actually more cowardly than a sucker punch. be glad you only got 6 as well.

Tu probably could've gotten more than he did, but he and Lyons didn't help their case with the post game press conference. heck, those comments may be one of the big reasons that Tu actually got ONE game.

all in all, i'm simply totally embarrassed to be an X fan at this point in time. i will back this program, but i really hope these guys find a way to heal these wounds that have been left from this incident. what should've been remembered as one of the best shootout victories for X will only be remembered as a bunch of "gangstas" and "thugs" duking it out at the end.

Skip probably turned over in his grave watching the end of this game.

No. Absolutely no charges will happen, but you'll still be a racist moron. :thumb:

Hey, I call it what it is, whether the person is white black yellow pink or purple. But I know which color causes the most problems in this world of sports. That's just a fact! Even a moron like myself can see that!!!! :thumb:

haven't chimed in yet. this might be long, but these are my thoughts after sitting back and looking at everything that transpired over this past week:

there is plenty of blame to go around for this whole thing blowing up the way it did at the end and to be truthful, not many people can hide from sharing part of it, on either side.

let's start in chronological order:

1.) the Furman/Kilpatrick interview. Furman baits Sean into saying something that he probably doesn't really mean and doesn't think will go public, but Furman is a d#$% and wants to :stirthepot: , so he adds fuel to a rivalry that really doesn't need anymore. Tu already plays with a chip on his shoulder. he didn't need anymore motivation to prove himself to UC. Kilpatrick and Furman put some gasoline on that with that interview. it started there.

2.) the refs. i can't believe these guys get a pass on this at all. all it would've taken is one quick technical early in the game when they heard someone (Tu or Lyons, probably) trash-talking, taunting, etc. and then just telling the teams/coaches "hey, next guy to trash talk after a play is getting T'd up, then ejected" and that probably would've been the end of it. i can't believe they actually came out and said these guys did a great job during the game. its inexcusable. i dont know why they didn't T up Lyons at the end of the first half. he stood there for the last 30 seconds while Tu dribbled out the clock to get a last shot and just jawwed at the UC bench while play was still going on. he had no clue what was happening in the play at all. that's why the UC kid came off the bench at Lyons. if the ref T's them both up right there and tells the teams that if they hear it again, more T's will come, it probably would've ended there. they let it go on without consequences. they could've easily prevented this from escalating.

3.) coaches. i put more on Mack than Mick. when you're up 20+ with under 2 minutes, you get your starters out of the game. get your seniors/starters an ovation from the crowd, let your subs enjoy a moment on the floor in the shootout and possibly a shot at getting some points at the end of the shot clock. i also can't believe that Mack hasn't reigned these guys in (Tu and Lyons mostly) slightly, knowing full well that their mouths were, at some point in time, going to get them in trouble during a game (or after as well, in this case). Tu and Lyons have been given way too long of leash in terms of the "extra" stuff that they get away with on the court. it was bound to come to this at some point.

not sure if Mack is the guy who sends people in to the press conference afterwards, but if he is, he deserves blame for anyone going in to talk after that. he should've sent one of his assistants to do the radio and he should've addressed the TV media. or, he should've told the TV media that they would have to wait until he was done with the radio before he would come in and speak. that was inexcusable also. those 2 should never have been allowed to address the media.

3.) players. most of them share in this one. Tu and Lyons mostly. they didn't stop talking trash from the beginning of the game until the end. it was embarrassing. i already talked about what Lyons was doing, but why Tu, up 20+ points with 20 seconds left, are you jawwing at the UC bench??? why? YER UP 20!!! just like you said in the press conference: you let your play do the talking. so why didn't you let your play do the talking??? why did you have to run your mouth??? why did have you have to get face to face with a FRESHMEN at the end of the game??? punk is what he and Lyons both are. never liked Lyons at all. dislike him more now. Tu just dropped a few notches as well.

Wells - i know you're young, a freshmen, emotional, etc, but the one rule you have as a player if your teammates are anywhere near getting into a possible fight on the court and that is this: Get YOUR teammates away from the situation. If Wells goes over there and pulls Tu away and just says "c'mon, man. we won by 20. let's go. game's over.", none of it probably happens. be glad you only got 4 games and not more.

Gates - same advice as i gave Wells. get in there and get your players out. don't go in swinging. he's lucky Lyons actually calmed him down and got him away from everything because he could've done worse and gotten a worse punishment. he's lucky to only get 6.

not sure who stomped on Frease when he was down, but that's actually more cowardly than a sucker punch. be glad you only got 6 as well.

Tu probably could've gotten more than he did, but he and Lyons didn't help their case with the post game press conference. heck, those comments may be one of the big reasons that Tu actually got ONE game.

all in all, i'm simply totally embarrassed to be an X fan at this point in time. i will back this program, but i really hope these guys find a way to heal these wounds that have been left from this incident. what should've been remembered as one of the best shootout victories for X will only be remembered as a bunch of "gangstas" and "thugs" duking it out at the end.

Skip probably turned over in his grave watching the end of this game.

I'm embarrassed by the way Xavier took part in such malice, but you have some things wrong.

I disagree on Mack getting more blame, Mick Cronin has as much blame as anyone. His players talk smack all the time to Xavier, last year, year before, and he doesn't do anything about either. Xavier never started throwing punches because of it.

Mick Cronin gave a post game pep rally that was full of crap. At least you know where Chris Mack is because he isn't trying to put the blame on everyone else like Cronin is doing. Chris Mack is actually returning as many hate emails as he can trying to apologize to fans all across the country. Cronin has said he isn't going to return emails on this matter. I actually heard Cronin trying to defend Gates because of head butt two years ago. Cronin is a sore loser with a ton of excuses as to why this really isn't UC's fault.

I'm embarrassed by the way Xavier took part in such malice, but you have some things wrong.

I disagree on Mack getting more blame, Mick Cronin has as much blame as anyone. His players talk smack all the time to Xavier, last year, year before, and he doesn't do anything about either. Xavier never started throwing punches because of it.

Mick Cronin gave a post game pep rally that was full of crap. At least you know where Chris Mack is because he isn't trying to put the blame on everyone else like Cronin is doing. Chris Mack is actually returning as many hate emails as he can trying to apologize to fans all across the country. Cronin has said he isn't going to return emails on this matter. I actually heard Cronin trying to defend Gates because of head butt two years ago. Cronin is a sore loser with a ton of excuses as to why this really isn't UC's fault.

Apparently this Cronin guy is a real piece of work, who, at this point is more concerned about his job status than doing what is right for everyone and everything involved. What a loser he must be. Just got to shake your head at people like that. :shrug:

You have a couple things wrong. Yes UC players talk smack just like everyone else. However when the game is decided the starters are on the bench celebrating while the reserves finish out the game not pouring more points on and putting more salt in the wound with more trash talk, body bags, zipping em up, MFers etc. like X and Mack did on saturday.

Punches were not thrown becasue of trash talk they were thrown after Wells pushed Guyn to the floor not before.

Can you post a link as to where Cronin has defended Yancey Gates because of the head butt from Frease two years ago. The only defense I have heard from coaches and or ADs for anyone involved is the spin on what ganstas and thugs means in the real world from Xavier trying to down play what was said after the game by Tu and Lyons. I think the UC administration and coaching staff and players involved has been pretty clear that UC accepts the responsibility for their actions and acknowledged that their reaction to events and taunts on the floor was wrong.

Mick repeatedly asked the refs to T someone up for trash talking during the game, even if it was one of his players, just to get things under control. they never did.

how can you possibly say it was full of crap??? i thought he said what needed to be said, represented UC the right way, was embarrassed by the whole thing, etc.

who cares if you return hate emails or not? that makes no difference. i don't need Mack to take time to return an email from me (even though he always does and i know he would). i need him getting his team (what's left of it) ready to beat Oral Roberts.

i never heard Cronin defend any of his players about what happened. the guy was spot-on in his post game press conference.

So why did Frease headbutt Gates and why did Tu throw a punch at Thomas?

XU homers.... :laugh:

You have a couple things wrong. Yes UC players talk smack just like everyone else. However when the game is decided the starters are on the bench celebrating while the reserves finish out the game not pouring more points on and putting more salt in the wound with more trash talk, body bags, zipping em up, MFers etc. like X and Mack did on saturday.

Punches were not thrown becasue of trash talk they were thrown after Wells pushed Guyn to the floor not before.

Can you post a link as to where Cronin has defended Yancey Gates because of the head butt from Frease two years ago. The only defense I have heard from coaches and or ADs for anyone involved is the spin on what ganstas and thugs means in the real world from Xavier trying to down play what was said after the game by Tu and Lyons. I think the UC administration and coaching staff and players involved has been pretty clear that UC accepts the responsibility for their actions and acknowledged that their reaction to events and taunts on the floor was wrong.

I actually haven't seen a quote from Cronin. The news came from UC fans that are friends of mine so I actually don't know for sure if Mick said something about a mythical headbutt.

As far as the thug comments, they were somewhat taken out of context, but still irresponsible on Xavier's part all around. I just laugh that you continue to back up Mick Cronin when he had done as much wrong as Mack.

mythical headbutt, and mythical punch. Get over it and move on. They bumped heads, there was no back and head butt involved. Way to keep deflecting from UC's responsibility in the matter EP.

Mythical? :laugh:

Actually, I've never deflected UC's culpability here, but you've certainly done that and more for XU. In fact, I'm not sure anyone could be a bigger biased homer moron on any topic ever as you are about anything XU and UC related. :shrug:

Last edited:
I actually haven't seen a quote from Cronin. The news came from UC fans that are friends of mine so I actually don't know for sure if Mick said something about a mythical headbutt.As far as the thug comments, they were somewhat taken out of context, but still irresponsible on Xavier's part all around. I just laugh that you continue to back up Mick Cronin when he had done as much wrong as Mack.

I would suggest not posting anything on something you don't know to be true. Mythical headbutt? :laugh: That would like saying Gates was just swinging his hand and it happened to ball up and make contact with Freases' face. :laugh:

I don't see where Cronin did anything wrong. Was he somewhere in that fight that I didn't see. He certainly would be about as tall as that referee that Frease was trying to get past. Did he say something to Tu or Lyons? Did he not allow Mack to take his starters out of the game? Did he try to defend what his players did with this comments after the game? That being said - I don't think I have tried to defend Cronin in any of my posts in this thread or any other thread.

Holy God OHH is about 5 times worse than hoopster, and that's saying a lot. Did he really say "Xavier never started throwing punches" when UC talked smack in the past? And he said Tu taking a swing last year was "mythical"? And does he REALLY believe that UC looks worse and looks like the bigger hypocrites to the national media? LMAO this thread is the Christmas gift that just keeps on giving :laugh:

I would suggest not posting anything on something you don't know to be true. Mythical headbutt? :laugh: That would like saying Gates was just swinging his hand and it happened to ball up and make contact with Freases' face. :laugh:

Frease's black eye is just mythical :laugh:

bringing up past games doesn't really help anyone's argument nor does it have anything to do with this game. if you want to defend/argue for or against your team, the other team, the suspensions, etc., then please just bring up what happened at THIS GAME. nothing in the past actually matters towards this at all and if you think it does, well then, you shouldn't even be arguing one side or the other because if you do, you pretty much look like a moron.

That post made no sense at all. BBaller said don't bring up the past when talking about this incident, and I said I agreed but OHH doesn't, and you respond by saying some UC fans think that Mick Cronin had no part in this? WTF does that have to do with anything BBaller said?

My goodness :laugh:

or ep, or IMHO, any other UC fan that think that Mick Cronin had no part in this. Please keep calling me a homer. It's really bothering me.

How is Cronin culpable for the brawl? I didn't blame Mack either. In fact, I criticized Cronin for not following his post game comments with harsher suspensions and defended Mack when someone said he has no control over his team. You sound like an complete idiot. :shrug:

That post made no sense at all. BBaller said don't bring up the past when talking about this incident, and I said I agreed but OHH doesn't, and you respond by saying some UC fans think that Mick Cronin had no part in this? WTF does that have to do with anything BBaller said?

My goodness :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap: :clap: