Covington cancels game in 2022

do they have a soccer program?
no they do not. more kids on cross country team than football. i hate to use this term, but Cedarville is a very “soft” community. religion is big in that town (son graduated from Cedarville university) and i think a lot of the parents keep there kids out of football.

Coaching is like being a parent. Kids need a parent and not a best friend. When you coach, there needs to be discipline and when you're focused on being best friends, there is no discipline. That's what I was saying

When you watch him actually watch him coach, you would see him being out coached. I was saying he's no comparison to coach Miller. It was a drop off.
You, my friend, should never be a coach.

no they do not. more kids on cross country team than football. i hate to use this term, but Cedarville is a very “soft” community. religion is big in that town (son graduated from Cedarville university) and i think a lot of the parents keep there kids out of football.
What kind of religion: I shall not tackle religion? I think other parts of Ohio are religious as well, and Catholic schools are they not religious?

What kind of religion: I shall not tackle religion? I think other parts of Ohio are religious as well, and Catholic schools are they not religious?
Cedarville is very baptist. they’re home to a decent sized baptist university. so a good portion of the people who live in cedarville are connected to the university.

i have no problem with baptists (or any religion, for that matter). but i think the best way to describe parents of cedarville is as “hover parents”. they have the mentality that it is their job to keep little johnny safe and in a controlled environment as long as they live under their roof. for some families, this includes keeping their kids out of contact sports.

Cedarville is a decent sized town and district. why are the numbers in the high school so small, you ask? because a good number of the parents in the district choose to homeschool their kids, or send them to private christian schools (Xenia legacy christian and Springfield christian are the main ones)

I agree entirely with the above. I don't have anything against any religion and I don't mean the following in a derogatory manner, but I have heard a well-connected Cedarville person use the phrase "soft Baptists" before when describing what they thought was wrong with their football program.

Cedarville University has a big presence in the town. It may not be a coincidence that the massive growth of that institution over the last 20 or so years coincides with a major downward spiral with the quality of the high school's football program.

Cedarville could use Jesse Gemstone. He loves football, and understands the sensitivities of wanting gridiron dominance when it comes to mesh with religion given his extensive experience in the Deep South.

1663948413572.jpeg

I agree entirely with the above. I don't have anything against any religion and I don't mean the following in a derogatory manner, but I have heard a well-connected Cedarville person use the phrase "soft Baptists" before when describing what they thought was wrong with their football program.

Cedarville University has a big presence in the town. It may not be a coincidence that the massive growth of that institution over the last 20 or so years coincides with a major downward spiral with the quality of the high school's football program.
Interestingly enough, Steubenville Central is said to have undergone the same phenomenon with Franciscan U.

Cedarville is very baptist. they’re home to a decent sized baptist university. so a good portion of the people who live in cedarville are connected to the university.

i have no problem with baptists (or any religion, for that matter). but i think the best way to describe parents of cedarville is as “hover parents”. they have the mentality that it is their job to keep little johnny safe and in a controlled environment as long as they live under their roof. for some families, this includes keeping their kids out of contact sports.

Cedarville is a decent sized town and district. why are the numbers in the high school so small, you ask? because a good number of the parents in the district choose to homeschool their kids, or send them to private christian schools (Xenia legacy christian and Springfield christian are the main ones)
I agree 100% with the softness issue. Many Baptist or especially Brethren (German Baptist ) do not permit their kids to play football.

I had mentioned this once before when I did a study of why Newton and Franklin Monroe and Tri Village at that time had no football. I think the religious component of these communities hampers their ability to field a team.

I agree 100% with the softness issue. Many Baptist or especially Brethren (German Baptist ) do not permit their kids to play football.

I had mentioned this once before when I did a study of why Newton and Franklin Monroe and Tri Village at that time had no football. I think the religious component of these communities hampers their ability to field a team.
Covington and West Milton have larger GB, communities than Newton, FM or TV. West Milton was founded by Quakers. GB kids are allowed to play football. It’s the Amish and some GB that don’t want them participating due to chores at home and summer farming and family businesses. Newton doesn’t have football due to a tragedy many years ago. FM and TV were just too small for many years. I’d say the population of GB in Covington is higher than most towns. But that hasn’t stopped them from being very good in football. I played at MU with a couple of GB and Brethren church goers.

Covington and West Milton have larger GB, communities than Newton, FM or TV. West Milton was founded by Quakers. GB kids are allowed to play football. It’s the Amish and some GB that don’t want them participating due to chores at home and summer farming and family businesses. Newton doesn’t have football due to a tragedy many years ago. FM and TV were just too small for many years. I’d say the population of GB in Covington is higher than most towns. But that hasn’t stopped them from being very good in football. I played at MU with a couple of GB and Brethren church goers.
Covington does have a larger total number , but they also have the Pathway School out by Rakestraw Rd, so most conservative Brethren families attend their private school or are home schooled, not affecting the culture of the actual makeup as a percentage of the total Covington School population to the degree some other WOAC districts are affected.

My study of this is over 10 years old now, but back in 2010 - 2013 when I was compiling the information (which will make most posters eyes glaze over in here, so I will keep it short) there were four school districts with a significant percentage of the student body comprised of the conservative order of German Baptist which will not allow their kids to play football for sure and most not allowed to play any sports. I will spare the theological details for this, but they essentially believe football runs counter to being non resistant (not waring) . Remember the historical link between football and military training,.

The four schools I found at that time most affected were

1- Franklin Monroe - fed by conservative districts of Painter Creek, Salem (also feeds Milton area) . Franklin Monroe is viewed by most families to be friendly to their beliefs so no seperate private school has emerged in this region.
2- Newton- fed by conservative Brethren districts of Sugargrove and Covington. If your child did not want to attend the Pathway private school I mentioned above, they would choose Newton as their public school of choice, I will spare the theological details for this, but they are subtle and numerous.
3-Tri Village - located to the far western side of the Miami Valley Brethren area, they had at that time no church established private school, and were fed students from the church districts of Pricess Creek and Palistine near Greenville.
4- Twin Valley South. This area had a private school at one time but at the time I studied this issue did not. They get their kids from the conservative districts of Upper Twin, and Lower Twin.

Other schools who have significant conservative Brethren populations are in significant order

Mississinawa Valley- (Shady Grove church))
Bradford- (Oak Grove church)
Arcanum (Painter Creek church)
Brookville (Wolf Creek church)
Bethel (Maple Grove church)
Milton (Salem Church)
Northwestern (Donnelscreek church)
Dixie (Bear Creek church)

Wake up everyone, it's time to move on to read the next post.

West Milton has two Brethren churches inside the city limits. Just some info. One had the first belltower erected in a Brethren church outside of England. West Milton Friends Church. There is a also the Center Friends Church outside of town on 571 and the West Milton Church of the Brethren.

Covington does have a larger total number , but they also have the Pathway School out by Rakestraw Rd, so most conservative Brethren families attend their private school or are home schooled, not affecting the culture of the actual makeup as a percentage of the total Covington School population to the degree some other WOAC districts are affected.

My study of this is over 10 years old now, but back in 2010 - 2013 when I was compiling the information (which will make most posters eyes glaze over in here, so I will keep it short) there were four school districts with a significant percentage of the student body comprised of the conservative order of German Baptist which will not allow their kids to play football for sure and most not allowed to play any sports. I will spare the theological details for this, but they essentially believe football runs counter to being non resistant (not waring) . Remember the historical link between football and military training,.

The four schools I found at that time most affected were

1- Franklin Monroe - fed by conservative districts of Painter Creek, Salem (also feeds Milton area) . Franklin Monroe is viewed by most families to be friendly to their beliefs so no seperate private school has emerged in this region.
2- Newton- fed by conservative Brethren districts of Sugargrove and Covington. If your child did not want to attend the Pathway private school I mentioned above, they would choose Newton as their public school of choice, I will spare the theological details for this, but they are subtle and numerous.
3-Tri Village - located to the far western side of the Miami Valley Brethren area, they had at that time no church established private school, and were fed students from the church districts of Pricess Creek and Palistine near Greenville.
4- Twin Valley South. This area had a private school at one time but at the time I studied this issue did not. They get their kids from the conservative districts of Upper Twin, and Lower Twin.

Other schools who have significant conservative Brethren populations are in significant order

Mississinawa Valley- (Shady Grove church))
Bradford- (Oak Grove church)
Arcanum (Painter Creek church)
Brookville (Wolf Creek church)
Bethel (Maple Grove church)
Milton (Salem Church)
Northwestern (Donnelscreek church)
Dixie (Bear Creek church)

Wake up everyone, it's time to move on to read the next post.
I actually would be interested in the theological details!

I hope MU has plans to replace. They need the points. Dropped to 5th with that win. Covington would be another divisor. I’m thinking they play and Milton makes them pay for it. 77-0 sound good ? 😂😂
it was 35-0 after 1 quarter last night. That game was decided 20 seconds after kickoff. 11:52 left in the 1st q and it was Brumbaugh 7-0. It could have been 100-0 last night. The JV started in the 2nd quarter and finished the game. I’m not sure that is real good for Milton. They haven’t had a real opponent since Valley View.

Last edited:
I hope MU has plans to replace. They need the points. Dropped to 5th with that win. Covington would be another divisor. I’m thinking they play and Milton makes them pay for it. 77-0 sound good ? 😂😂
it was 35-0 after 1 quarter last night. That game was decided 20 seconds after kickoff. 11:52 left in the 1st q and it was Brumbaugh 7-0. It could have been 100-0 last night. The JV started in the 2nd quarter and finished the game. I’m not sure that is real good for Milton. They haven’t had a real opponent since Valley View.
Is there a database to find a quick opponent? Maybe I missed the news about it if there is. I just assumed there's something, since a lot of schools seemed to replace opponents in very short order last season.

Is there a database to find a quick opponent? Maybe I missed the news about it if there is. I just assumed there's something, since a lot of schools seemed to replace opponents in very short order last season.

The poster hdvhsmgr does a great job of keeping the 1st post of the thread updated, and he seems to get information rather quickly. I have no idea who the poster is, but he or she might very well have ties to the OHSAA staff member in charge of football.

The poster hdvhsmgr does a great job of keeping the 1st post of the thread updated, and he seems to get information rather quickly. I have no idea who the poster is, but he or she might very well have ties to the OHSAA staff member in charge of football.
I know who they are. Pic below.

1664050456342.jpeg

Mr JE. That’s who. Covington will wait until Wednesday and cancel. 🙄. Chardonnay would beat 100% of the D5 teams out there. No thanks.
Ottawa Hills is an option. D6. But Covington has to allow Milton out of the game first.

Mr JE. That’s who. Covington will wait until Wednesday and cancel. 🙄. Chardonnay would beat 100% of the D5 teams out there. No thanks.
Ottawa Hills is an option. D6. But Covington has to allow Milton out of the game first.
MU not so tough after all, huh. Any game no matter who it is against is better than no game at all even if you do lose.