Competitive balance

Why is that a problem? You'd prefer those kids stay at Rogers, Start, or whatever POS Toledo public school still has their doors open? How would those kids benefit from that?

So maybe TCC offers these kids one thing that's attractive and perhaps beneficial to them. That's one more than a TPS school offers, no?

Horse crap. You're bitching because you're filled with resentment. You wouldn't care a whit if a kid transferred from, say, Perrysburg to a Toledo school, even though by all available metrics (we can use that word, too) it is a grossly inferior educational institution.

Since it's clear that quality of education isn't your concern, what is? Tell the truth, now.
Whitmer has a starter that transfered from Perrysburg on the football roster and Eastwood I think. Pretty sure.

Its funny how a thread about competitive balance turns into a fight over private schools. The main issue is IF the state is going to do a competitive balance metric to try and get real competitiveness, then the current CB adding extra students to the enrollment is a complete failure and there are many loopholes around it. So if your school wants to win big in Ohio, go get some boosters to fork over some money and buy some apartment buildings for free rent to super athletes and give those 100 dollar handshakes boys and go CHEAT your way to a state title.

Of course I have an axe to grind. I watch the local dying Catholic school poach the best athletes from the local publics with taxpayer funded athletic scholarships while taking few others. They understand what a good football (and to a lessor degree basketball) team does for revenue.

BTW they were grossly outcoached in those games. Especially the Avon games.

There is still a huge advantage for the Big Catholics but the publics have a better chance. Pick Central, Springfield, Toledo Whitmer, Mentor, Colerain, Lakota West, Pick North, Upper Arlington, Hilliard Davidson have all had success over the past 15 years competing against the big Catholics than their public counterparts in DIII.

A public DIII does not have a chance (at least shouldn't) against CC's 100 man roster and DI kids all over the field.
Taking few others? Let’s assume there are 100 boys on the football team. The latest voucher info I have shows TCC used 299 vouchers. Those other 199 students probably can’t all run fast and jump high. Probably a tuba or chess player in there somewhere

Taking few others? Let’s assume there are 100 boys on the football team. The latest voucher info I have shows TCC used 299 vouchers. Those other 199 students probably can’t all run fast and jump high. Probably a tuba or chess player in there somewhere
Good find. Im also guessing its not actually 100 players and theres also no chance NONE of the football players pay tutition

Why is that a problem? You'd prefer those kids stay at Rogers, Start, or whatever POS Toledo public school still has their doors open? How would those kids benefit from that?
They are using my tax dollars as selective athletic scholarships. I realize you gloss over this but it is a big deal.
So maybe TCC offers these kids one thing that's attractive and perhaps beneficial to them. That's one more than a TPS school offers, no?
TPS offers sports. They would be better if they could be selective.
Horse crap. You're bitching because you're filled with resentment. You wouldn't care a whit if a kid transferred from, say, Perrysburg to a Toledo school, even though by all available metrics (we can use that word, too) it is a grossly inferior educational institution.
BS. If Central wants to be private they can stay private and recruit all they want with their own money. They should NOT be able to use taxpayer funded athletic scholarships, and not be held accountable. To make matters worse they are selective towards kids who are really good athletes. You simply continue to look past this fact.
Since it's clear that quality of education isn't your concern, what is? Tell the truth, now.
Education is not Central's main concern. They are in survival mode and have been given a life line from state legislators with an agenda. It is BS legislation. Without EdChoice Central would more than likely have to close its doors and it certainly would not be winning state championships in football.

Great point. Since they are accepting public dollars lets make them open their books and see.

As Central's enrollment continues to drop their cost of education per student goes up. The voucher does not cover all of this so they rely on endowments to make up the rest. Amazingly, they still have tuition payers. If they relied on these tuition payers they would not have much of a football team.

They are using my tax dollars as selective athletic scholarships.
All scholarships are selective. Public schools use tax dollars for selective admission to magnet schools all the time. You got a problem with that?

Education is not Central's main concern.
Nor is it yours.

As Central's enrollment continues to drop their cost of education per student goes up. The voucher does not cover all of this so they rely on endowments to make up the rest. Amazingly, they still have tuition payers. If they relied on these tuition payers they would not have much of a football team.
If those kids attended TPS schools they wouldn't get much of an education. But that doesn't matter, does it? Football über alles, eh?

But tell us: who benefits if TCC closes?

All scholarships are selective. Public schools use tax dollars for selective admission to magnet schools all the time. You got a problem with that?
Groundhog day with you. Public schools have to provide the how and why? Public schools HAVE to take everyone. Magnet schools are above and beyond that. Private schools taking vouchers do not have to show why they take who they take. They can do as they please, which, again, is fine, as long as they do not rely on public dollars.
Nor is it yours.
Actually it is and it is also tied to public tax dollars being used without any accountability.
If those kids attended TPS schools they wouldn't get much of an education. But that doesn't matter, does it? Football über alles, eh?
BS. But TPS does get measured in ways Central is not, while taking tax dollars and being selective.

Public schools HAVE to take everyone.
No, they don't.

Private schools taking vouchers do not have to show why they take who they take.
They take kid A and not kid B. Again, so what? Why would you deny kid A the means to receive the education that he and his family think is best?

But TPS does get measured in ways Central is not, while taking tax dollars and being selective.
And those measurements show that TPS schools are abysmal failures. But let's trap hundreds of kids who want out so that you can feel better about football.

BTW, TPS has multiple schools with selective admission (e.g. Toledo Technology Academy of Engineering). Good luck on getting one of them to tell you why Johnny Applicant wasn't admitted.

And you're seriously citing an article by the President of the Ohio Education Association? No vested interest there, eh?[/QUOTE]

Great point. Since they are accepting public dollars lets make them open their books and see.

I think as it concerns the Toledo area there are two big points that need to be addressed...

1.) How have we let TPS devolve in the manner it has? I have buddies that teach there, the environment is absolutely terrible. The buildings are nice, the offerings are solid, teacher pay is relatively high, and yet they have dozens of openings across the district while it's a dogfight to get a teaching role at another district around here. At the end of the day, the schools lack order and decent teachers, for kids who are exceptional either on the field or in the classroom, the vouchers are a way out.

2.) Why are the other catholic schools not drawing these students in the way Central has? SJJ and St Francis used to have tremendous programs across the board, why can they not attract these top athletes at the same volume the Irish can?

Why are the other catholic schools not drawing these students in the way Central has? SJJ and St Francis used to have tremendous programs across the board, why can they not attract these top athletes at the same volume the Irish can?
Because the uncomfortable truth is that many major metro areas have adopted an "urban all-star" mentality. It's a cultural affiliation as much as anything.

No, they don't.
Yes, they do.
They take kid A and not kid B. Again, so what? Why would you deny kid A the means to receive the education that he and his family think is best?
Private schools can do as they please. When you take public dollars to prop your school up you should abide by the same standards. Thsi has been explained ad nauseum.
And those measurements show that TPS schools are abysmal failures. But let's trap hundreds of kids who want out so that you can feel better about football.
Lol, you have no idea. Maybe we can arrange a tour for you? Trapped? The trapped kids are the ones that do not run fast or jump high. You continue to make ignorant comments about football while defending an institution that is using vouchers as athletic scholarships for football.
BTW, TPS has multiple schools with selective admission (e.g. Toledo Technology Academy of Engineering). Good luck on getting one of them to tell you why Johnny Applicant wasn't admitted.
Actually they have to show their work. TPS as a whole must take everyone and selected programs beyond that are merit based with criteria.
And you're seriously citing an article by the President of the Ohio Education Association? No vested interest there, eh?
Anything is better than your opinions at this point.

I think as it concerns the Toledo area there are two big points that need to be addressed...

1.) How have we let TPS devolve in the manner it has? I have buddies that teach there, the environment is absolutely terrible. The buildings are nice, the offerings are solid, teacher pay is relatively high, and yet they have dozens of openings across the district while it's a dogfight to get a teaching role at another district around here. At the end of the day, the schools lack order and decent teachers, for kids who are exceptional either on the field or in the classroom, the vouchers are a way out.
This debate is not about TPS performance as much as it is about using taxpayer funded athletic scholarships selectively and without any oversight.
2.) Why are the other catholic schools not drawing these students in the way Central has? SJJ and St Francis used to have tremendous programs across the board, why can they not attract these top athletes at the same volume the Irish can?
You know why? SJ and SF still have country club sports. As soon as they go full on idiot like Central they lose those kids. Central has no choice, they understood years ago that without vouchers they are dead.

Yes, they do.
You could not be more wrong. Public magnet schools do not accept everyone, nor is a district unable to expel students.

Private schools can do as they please. When you take public dollars to prop your school up you should abide by the same standards. Thsi has been explained ad nauseum.
Your opinions are not explanations.

You continue to make ignorant comments about football while defending an institution that is using vouchers as athletic scholarships for football.
Again, it's all about football with you. With the unmistakably odor of a plantation mentality on the side.

Actually they have to show their work. TPS as a whole must take everyone and selected programs beyond that are merit based with criteria.
"merit based with criteria". Kinda like a private school admission process. Using public money.

You could not be more wrong. Public magnet schools do not accept everyone, nor is a district unable to expel students.
^ Noted for irony.
Your opinions are not explanations.
^ Noted for irony.
Again, it's all about football with you. With the unmistakably odor of a plantation mentality on the side.
One more idiotic statement as you are defending a school that is using vouchers almost exclusively to prop up its football team.
"merit based with criteria". Kinda like a private school admission process. Using public money.
The public school has to show how they got there. Central not so much.

...you are defending a school that is using vouchers almost exclusively to prop up its football team.
Well over 300 voucher students. 100 football players. Doesn't really sound like "almost exclusively", does it?

The public school has to show how they got there.
No, they don't. They're not going to tell you why a particular applicant was or was not admitted.

Last edited:
My answer is because people are falsely calling out schools for using vouchers for only football players and good athletes so I took the 30 seconds to do some research. You’re on here just like me…..get a life. Or did you post that on your break between skydiving and performing surgery
No. I’m way too chicken to skydive. Posted it on my way to Starbucks.

Us Toledo folks know how big of a clown Irish Buffalo is. Someone said he's a TCC grad. Ha. He wishes. It's hilarious to see people outside of the area notice and call him out for his racist bigotry.
Ive seen his schtick so many times but I finally took the bait. He got a lot of reflection to do. We literally found out its at least 200 extra voucher students and he is talking about TCC "exclusively" using taxpayer money to fund a football team to keep its doors open. And again there is only one thought process that leads you to thinking the kids that "run fast" are incapable of the academic part.

My father was a public school teacher his entire adult life. He obviously wasnt the biggest fan of EDchoice either but he understood that it was needed because you have the irish buffalos of the world patting themselves on the back for simply being a public school teacher while the district fails and everybody blames the nearest private school

The court cases that claim Ed choice is unconstitutional never hold up either. Because the family gets the money that is their’s and they use it to decide where they want to go. The school just has to be accredited. The same exact thing happens in college. Pell Grants can be used at Public or Private institutions as long as that institution is accredited. I don’t understand the argument.

Ive seen his schtick so many times but I finally took the bait. He got a lot of reflection to do. We literally found out its at least 200 extra voucher students and he is talking about TCC "exclusively" using taxpayer money to fund a football team to keep its doors open. And again there is only one thought process that leads you to thinking the kids that "run fast" are incapable of the academic part.
Who are you quoting?
My father was a public school teacher his entire adult life. He obviously wasnt the biggest fan of EDchoice either but he understood that it was needed because you have the irish buffalos of the world patting themselves on the back for simply being a public school teacher while the district fails and everybody blames the nearest private school
EdChoice is needed because I am "patting" myself on the back for being a public school teacher while the district fails and blames the nearest private school? That was your dad's understanding? Lol

Your dad failed you.

Don't complain about stereotyping, by stereotyping. Some come from failing districts, or low income. Some have great grades from those same districts. Some have great grades at great districts and great income. But being a private school they can accept or reject whoever they want so it is unknown what criteria is used in every instance.

Us Toledo folks know how big of a clown Irish Buffalo is. Someone said he's a TCC grad. Ha. He wishes. It's hilarious to see people outside of the area notice and call him out for his racist bigotry.
The only racist bigotry comes from your alma mater.

As I've mentioned time and time again, the public school will educate all of God's children that walk through the doors.

The court cases that claim Ed choice is unconstitutional never hold up either. Because the family gets the money that is their’s and they use it to decide where they want to go. The school just has to be accredited. The same exact thing happens in college. Pell Grants can be used at Public or Private institutions as long as that institution is accredited. I don’t understand the argument.
That is not how it works. People do not get to individually take their tax dollars and use it for what they want. Any time there are public dollars involved there has to be accountability. Your local public school, your city's road department, and public library must show every penny spent. You have a right to see their financials. Currently the voucher is granted based on family earnings and public school district performance. I have no issue with either as long as the institution benefitting from the voucher is measured by the same criteria and held to the same standards. Even if the state did measure private schools under the same grading system, private schools can dictate who is accepted and who is not, which skews the data. Any child can get a great education at any public school in the state but those schools must also take in kids with behavioral problems and zero home life. The private school is getting the best deal ever. Public dollars with zero accountability.

College is not mandated. No one has to go to college and of course Pell Grants are based on income.

Who are you quoting?

EdChoice is needed because I am "patting" myself on the back for being a public school teacher while the district fails and blames the nearest private school? That was your dad's understanding? Lol

Your dad failed you.
My father failed me but you couldnt even comprehend what I said. Alrighty then lmao