Competitive balance

I have two kids in private school. I have no problem supporting our local public school system. I'm not resentful. I don't look at it as some "I'm paying for your kids education" type of thing. That's like someone not wanting to pay for roads and highways because they don't use them. That's dumb. We all benefit from having good infrastructure. And we all benefit from having good public schools

I just like kids and families to have choice. Because you live next to an unsuccessful school (private or public) shouldn’t mean that’s where you have to go. I understand what you are saying but I don’t think a kid should have to go to an under performing school simply because they live down the block from it.
If the family/kid choose to go to a private school and the kid is kicked out of the private school and the public school is a failing school where that kid lives, what are that kid's and parent's options? Drop-out?

If the family/kid choose to go to a private school and the kid is kicked out of the private school and the public school is a failing school where that kid lives, what are that kid's and parent's options? Drop-out?
there are always other options. Other privates, charters etc. I’ve been in education for over a decade. There are always options. It depends on what the family is looking for.

So by your reasoning, the only students that roam the halls of private schools. "run fast and jump high".
A select few, using vouchers as athletic scholarships.
Also you do realize theat those of us that send our kids to private school still pay taxes to support public schools, often times failing public schools, right?
That is fine. As long as that PRIVATE school stays PRIVATE we are good. The minute they accept public dollars (for survival) they should abide by the same standards. Agree?

there are always other options. Other privates, charters etc. I’ve been in education for over a decade. There are always options. It depends on what the family is looking for.
Transportation and time crunch limits some families. And would other privates check the kid's school records and decide not to take the kid? They are a private.They don't have to take or keep any student they don't want.

First recognize why your kid was booted and get him or her some help before looking at various new schools. Showing a potentail new school you have taken action to remedy the problem will go a long way. Possible look for trade school or program. Hard to advise without details, which you do not need to share in this forum. If desperate I would look at a move to another district.

Never liked the idea of "competitive balance." It's a terrible excuse for programs that aren't successful.

All the more reason why I love seeing Marion Local dominate from a distance. Their community "figured it out."

You mean they were able to fend off all those private schools and Catholic schools in that neck of the woods?

You mean they were able to fend off all those private schools and Catholic schools in that neck of the woods?
When you have release time for religious instruction and walk across the street to church on game days, competing for kids with Catholic schools is easier.

A select few, using vouchers as athletic scholarships.

That is fine. As long as that PRIVATE school stays PRIVATE we are good. The minute they accept public dollars (for survival) they should abide by the same standards. Agree?
You really need to take Irish out of your name if your that outraged. Some TCC grad you are. The only beacon of shining light in HS Football in the whole Toledo City limits. A place where city kids actually get a chance to have a halfway normal HS experience in a safe environment and a chance for a quality education. As a Grad. you should be proud of that. Not on here hiding behind a veiled agenda so you can spout a racist agenda.
Who would I be paying $15,000 to? If the private school kicked my kid out that option is gone.
Another parenting problem i see.

You really need to take Irish out of your name if your that outraged. Some TCC grad you are. The only beacon of shining light in HS Football in the whole Toledo City limits. A place where city kids actually get a chance to have a halfway normal HS experience in a safe environment and a chance for a quality education. As a Grad. you should be proud of that. Not on here hiding behind a veiled agenda so you can spout a racist agenda.
I went an all boys Catholic school when the diocese could still rely on Catholic families to fill its coffers. The Catholic schools I attended are long gone. You are obviously not from Toledo but in sounding like you know what you are talking about you actually make my point. Regardless of how good or bad Central is from an education standpoint, the fact remains that they are gaming the system within the law as it is currently written to use taxpayer funded athletic scholarships to poach the best the City of Toledo has to offer. To make matters worse they do not have to show anyone their criteria for acceptance or denial or comply in the same manner as their public counterparts. Under EdChoice the private school is not measured the same and they do not have to take everyone. Are you stupid enough to believe that only great athletes want to attend Central and Hoban? Any school that is truly private certainly has the ability to do as it pleases in regard to enrollment acceptance criteria but that is no longer the case as Central is one of the highest voucher recipients in the state and amazingly has a routine outlier of athletes per their population to the point of being concerted and purposeful.

City schools certainly have issues but they are compounded when the local private gets to use taxpayer funded athletic scholarships to poach their best kids and leave everyone else behind. So Christian like of them. Thank God the public school will educate everyone else. I would challenge you to take a tour of one of these city schools to give yourself an education on how the real world works.

Using the "racist" context here only further shows your ignorance. BTW my diversely public school educated kids know the difference between "you're" and "your." ;)

"EdChoice" is a slogan developed by an advertising agency to sell BS legislation.

Us Catholics know two things: drinking and playing football. Lol
And were darn good at both. Lol
I went an all boys Catholic school when the diocese could still rely on Catholic families to fill its coffers. The Catholic schools I attended are long gone. You are obviously not from Toledo but in sounding like you know what you are talking about you actually make my point. Regardless of how good or bad Central is from an education standpoint, the fact remains that they are gaming the system within the law as it is currently written to use taxpayer funded athletic scholarships to poach the best the City of Toledo has to offer. To make matters worse they do not have to show anyone their criteria for acceptance or denial or comply in the same manner as their public counterparts. Under EdChoice the private school is not measured the same and they do not have to take everyone. Are you stupid enough to believe that only great athletes want to attend Central and Hoban? Any school that is truly private certainly has the ability to do as it pleases in regard to enrollment acceptance criteria but that is no longer the case as Central is one of the highest voucher recipients in the state and amazingly has a routine outlier of athletes per their population to the point of being concerted and purposeful.

City schools certainly have issues but they are compounded when the local private gets to use taxpayer funded athletic scholarships to poach their best kids and leave everyone else behind. So Christian like of them. Thank God the public school will educate everyone else. I would challenge you to take a tour of one of these city schools to give yourself an education on how the real world works.

Using the "racist" context here only further shows your ignorance. BTW my diversely public school educated kids know the difference between "you're" and "your." ;)

"EdChoice" is a slogan developed by an advertising agency to sell BS legislation.
I have been to TCC many times to your point. And your entire post is nothing but sour grapes. you as a "Educator" throw out a blanket statement that encompasses all Private Schools. Yet you really have nothing but a opinion of your accusations. You should be ashamed of yourself as even your diversely public school educated kids know you must show your work to get a passing grade. Sorry you failed :(

Another parenting problem i see.
Great example of when you can't win an argument you call that person a racist. Which most then see you as somebody that judges people based on the color of their skin. There is a word for people like that that you might be familiar with.

And were darn good at both. Lol

I have been to TCC many times to your point. And your entire post is nothing but sour grapes. you as a "Educator" throw out a blanket statement that encompasses all Private Schools. Yet you really have nothing but a opinion of your accusations. You should be ashamed of yourself as even your diversely public school educated kids know you must show your work to get a passing grade. Sorry you failed :(
"a Educator" or "'an' Educator?" And why was "Educator" capitalized?

Every private school wonk gets butt hurt every time this subject comes up because they take it personal and fail to subjectively look at the awful legislation from an unbiased lens. Are you defending EdChoice or Central?

Just do not tell me it is about choice when schools like Central use taxpayer vouchers almost exclusively for athletes. I think Central's band had 15 kids in it last year. What? No tuba players want to attend Central? :D Without CB Central would be DIV. They routinely have 100 kids in the program and a bunch of DI players while only having 220 boys. It is an extreme outlier and does not happen by chance.

Without taxpayer athletic scholarships Central would close.

Public schools aren't allowed to turn down a student.

Privates are free to pick and choose who they wish to "educate."

If you think that's the same, idk what to tell you

What does this have to do with sports? If the student isn’t an athlete, it means nothing. If he is then he adds to CB. It means nothing to public school.

Competitive balance is the OHSAA's "attempt" to even out private and public schools. It is a silly thing done to try and appease the public schools. Based on the results of all of the state championships the last 20 years, I'd say CB is a miserable failure. Move private schools to their own division.

Competitive balance is the OHSAA's "attempt" to even out private and public schools. It is a silly thing done to try and appease the public schools. Based on the results of all of the state championships the last 20 years, I'd say CB is a miserable failure. Move private schools to their own division.
Wrong. CB is a corrective measure to counter Ohio's awful EdChoice program which allows private schools to use taxpayer funded vouchers as athletic scholarships. And it is working.

"a Educator" or "'an' Educator?" And why was "Educator" capitalized?

Every private school wonk gets butt hurt every time this subject comes up because they take it personal and fail to subjectively look at the awful legislation from an unbiased lens. Are you defending EdChoice or Central?

Just do not tell me it is about choice when schools like Central use taxpayer vouchers almost exclusively for athletes. I think Central's band had 15 kids in it last year. What? No tuba players want to attend Central? :D Without CB Central would be DIV. They routinely have 100 kids in the program and a bunch of DI players while only having 220 boys. It is an extreme outlier and does not happen by chance.

Without taxpayer athletic scholarships Central would close.
And then would you take Irish out of your name? Seems like you'er the one with the problem .

You have to ask yourself . Why is there even a EdChoice ? And am i part of that problem? Your anger is misguided and doesn't address the real problem. Typical in the academic world to blame a solution but not address the real problem. That answer doesn't fit the agenda and until people are brave enough in the communities to stand up and speak out about the bottom line issues and make major changes. Programs like EdChoice are going to continue.

With or without Central there will just be other choices for parents and kids .

And like i said you just accused. If you have real evidence there is no doubt you would have ran to OHSAA with it. Right? Right?

Just do not tell me it is about choice when schools like Central use taxpayer vouchers almost exclusively for athletes. I think Central's band had 15 kids in it last year. What? No tuba players want to attend Central?
Interesting that in studies the music based students are usually the ones with the better GPA.
"Results showed that overall, and for all individual subjects except sports, students who engage in music had higher average grades than students who do not engage in music. The study also suggests that duration of music participation impacts academic achievement."

The question we, taxpayers, should be asking is if voucher students perform better. If not, and I’ve seen scant evidence, then what are we doing?

The question we, taxpayers, should be asking is if voucher students perform better. If not, and I’ve seen scant evidence, then what are we doing?
Maybe the question we should be asking is if voucher students are getting a quality education at the school from which they transferred.

Maybe another question to be asked is how a voucher to a private school costs a public school anything. If a kid transfers with or without a voucher, the impact on the public school is the same. Or should his transfer be prohibited?

Again, public education is about creating an educated public. It is not about supporting a failed public education industry and its focus on sinecure and self-enrichment.