Columbus bidding on state finals

So the Gahanna - New Albany - Region 3 final will be a nice trial run for them this Friday
Essentially yes. I was surprised they're hosting a game. But showing how they put a game on can go a ways to showing they can do the entire weekend.

We don't have a Ford's Field or a Lucas Oil. Crew looks like it could provide a good atmosphere, but Columbus is a pain in the biscuits coming from NW Ohio. Near impossible on a Friday rush coming in 23.

Since I've gotten some insight into how the money moves in this state, I've always been a proponent; centralization hurts this state. Columbus develops while we suffer. They've enticed companies and jobs away from here as far back as the 60s, while sucking on the taxes we pay. F them. Having championships that represent communities in some other parts of the state is a good thing, IMO. But Canton/Massillon is going to have to show they are putting on an event, not just a stop for a game. They have never done that, never celebrated the communities and teams playing. If Columbus isn't willing to make this an event, just offer a stadium, F them. F Them anyways, it's columbus.

Playing the finals in Dayton or Toledo doesn't make any more sense than playing them in Canton. If the soccer stadium in Columbus has turf, play the finals at the soccer stadium in Columbus. I am kinda' surprised the soccer guys went with turf, I thought those guys were big on natural grass.

We don't have a Ford's Field or a Lucas Oil. Crew looks like it could provide a good atmosphere, but Columbus is a pain in the biscuits coming from NW Ohio. Near impossible on a Friday rush coming in 23.

Since I've gotten some insight into how the money moves in this state, I've always been a proponent; centralization hurts this state. Columbus develops while we suffer. They've enticed companies and jobs away from here as far back as the 60s, while sucking on the taxes we pay. F them. Having championships that represent communities in some other parts of the state is a good thing, IMO. But Canton/Massillon is going to have to show they are putting on an event, not just a stop for a game. They have never done that, never celebrated the communities and teams playing. If Columbus isn't willing to make this an event, just offer a stadium, F them. F Them anyways, it's columbus.
i agree

Putting myself back in the shoes of my high school self and disregarding the travel, I would have wanted to play in the Hall of Fame stadium or the OSU, I would not really have wanted to play anywhere else.
putting yourself back in the shoes of your high school self and disregarding the travel, you would have probably played in a bean field if it meant playing in the state championship game. ain't nobody giving the trophy back because they won it at a soccer stadium.

Playing the finals in Dayton or Toledo doesn't make any more sense than playing them in Canton. If the soccer stadium in Columbus has turf, play the finals at the soccer stadium in Columbus. I am kinda' surprised the soccer guys went with turf, I thought those guys were big on natural grass.
Depends upon what rules you're using for your "sense." If those communities are going to elevate the event to its deserved status, it makes very good sense. Columbus is a hole.

I like the idea of crew stadium. Parking isn't too bad, you don't have to deal with travel football championships to park against like you do at the HOF is seems like every year.

Plus, the HOF poops on the city of canton. IIRC the youth leagues for canton have to pay huge amounts if they want to use one of the many turf fields for their games the HOF put down. Honestly, Benson is a great stadium, but I think old Crew Stadium would be a great venue for the games. A nice change of pace.

I still liked the days of the games rotating between Paul Brown and Fawcett! We likely will never see that again.

Its the old Crew stadium that they don't play soccer at anymore.
So if the state title games are proposed for the OLD Crew Stadium near the dumpy state fairgrounds, roll up your windows, lock your doors and don't make a wrong turn. That is a grimy, unsafe part of Columbus.

I also agree that Columbus has received a tad much development at the expense of the rest of Ohio, but that's more of an economic and state government point to make than sports.

So if the state title games are proposed for the OLD Crew Stadium near the dumpy state fairgrounds, roll up your windows, lock your doors and don't make a wrong turn. That is a grimy, unsafe part of Columbus.

I also agree that Columbus has received a tad much development at the expense of the rest of Ohio, but that's more of an economic and state government point to make than sports.

WIth the money generated from sports and marketing, I'm comfortable saying it is a state issue. Ohio football, particularly Ohio HIGH SCHOOL football is a state identifier. It also has a big marketing potential none of which cbus has earned. They simply want to say they're the center of the football world when they have NO legitimate claim to that title. They'd be stealing under the same premise they've always used, "location," when it's really political power.

Columbus high school football certainly has many quality teams. I'll never knock those teams or their fan followings. It is stronger than people outside of Columbus think and they have the state titles to prove it.

What's happening here, in my opinion, is the Columbus Sports Partnership organization is swooping in and trying to do an arrangement with the OHSAA, who also have offices in Columbus. It's very political, yes.

Putting these games at the OLD Crew Stadium is beyond a bad idea unless you like staying in drug den Motel 6 motels near the state fairgrounds (which also should be moved out of that neighborhood as there is nothing "farming" or "agricultural" about 11th or 17th Avenue in Columbus.)

Canton has hosted the games for years and done a fine job. So did Massillon when they co-hosted. So would other places located in areas far more appealing than where the OLD Crew Stadium is. If you want to do games in Columbus, I don't like the cavernous Ohio Stadium, but because of the Buckeye allure to people, many people do. I'm not sure the university really cares about hosting state title games.

And yes, US 23 is a hot mess in Delaware County for those coming from NW Ohio or going to NW Ohio. They've talked about a new interstate basically running along the route of the current 23 for years but ODOT keeps shelving it.

Last edited:
Columbus high school football certainly has many quality teams. I'll never knock those teams or their fan followings. It is stronger than people outside of Columbus think and they have the state titles to prove it.

What's happening here, in my opinion, is the Columbus Sports Partnership organization is swooping in and trying to do an arrangement with the OHSAA, who also have offices in Columbus. It's very political, yes.

Putting these games at the OLD Crew Stadium is beyond a bad idea unless you like staying in drug den Motel 6 motels near the state fairgrounds (which also should be moved out of that neighborhood as there is nothing "farming" or "agricultural" about 11th or 17th Avenue in Columbus.)

Canton has hosted the games for years and done a fine job. So did Massillon when they co-hosted. So would other places located in areas far more appealing than where the OLD Crew Stadium is. If you want to do games in Columbus, I don't like the cavernous Ohio Stadium, but because of the Buckeye allure to people, many people do. I'm not sure the university really cares about hosting state title games.

And yes, US 23 is a hot mess in Delaware County for those coming from NW Ohio or going to NW Ohio. They've talked about a new interstate basically running along the route of the current 23 for years but ODOT keeps shelving it.
1) The OHSAA would prefer the games be in Columbus because not only is better financially for them, but it's better for the rest of the state (outside of Stark County residents). Centrally located works best for the majority. That's not some political conspiracy. It's common sense.

2) There are as many, if not more "drug den motels" near the stadium in Canton as there are near Historic Crew Stadium.

3) If Ohio Stadium were still an available option to the OHSAA, they would have continued to host it there. No one cares about your opinion that it's cavernous. If you attended any of the state championship games in the 2010s, you would know there was a tremendous atmosphere for even the Division 7 games when there were only a few thousand fans in attendance.

1) The OHSAA would prefer the games be in Columbus because not only is better financially for them, but it's better for the rest of the state (outside of Stark County residents). Centrally located works best for the majority. That's not some political conspiracy. It's common sense.

2) There are as many, if not more "drug den motels" near the stadium in Canton as there are near Historic Crew Stadium.

3) If Ohio Stadium were still an available option to the OHSAA, they would have continued to host it there. No one cares about your opinion that it's cavernous. If you attended any of the state championship games in the 2010s, you would know there was a tremendous atmosphere for even the Division 7 games when there were only a few thousand fans in attendance.
You seem fun.

but as said above, I don't think that Tosu cares about hosting the State Championships .....

Since allegedly Welcome, then I nominate Byers if that is all of a site that is needed. Those won't have a chance against Benson. Sorry, just facts
Because they sellout Benson for the finals?!?! I say Columbus because of the central location.

but as said above, I don't think that Tosu cares about hosting the State Championships .....
they don't. i wish they did, but they don't. that's their prerogative. i don't think it's a coincidence, however, that the attendance in Columbus was significantly more than it has been since it returned to Canton.