College Coach Complaining About Players/Parents

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Saw this on Twitter. Doesn't really matter who the coach was, I just thought it was interesting:
Out recruiting. Really liked a middle infielder, until she walked up to the fence and her parent gave her “hitting advice” before she walked up to hit. If they have no respect for their current coach, do you think they just flip a switch for their future coach?

What do you think of this coach's ability to judge talent and recruit based on one simple observation?

Saw this on Twitter. Doesn't really matter who the coach was, I just thought it was interesting:

What do you think of this coach's ability to judge talent and recruit based on one simple observation?
I subscribe to the Matheny Manifesto in regards to parent / player interaction from the time they are dropped off at the diamond.

With that said , scouts don't just look for reasons to offer a player, they look for reasons not to as well.
Imagine if the player was a stud I wouldn't matter, but fr everyone else everything is in play

I subscribe to the Matheny Manifesto in regards to parent / player interaction from the time they are dropped off at the diamond.
Some travel coaches have that philosophy and others are more relaxed. I can't imagine dropping a player if the travel coach has a more relaxed rule on player/parent interaction.
Imagine if the player was a stud I wouldn't matter, but fr everyone else everything is in play
Exactly. IMO, this is a coach on a power trip. If this is his "secret" recruiting advantage, why announce it to the rest of college softball?

How does he know what the agreements are between the coaches the players' parents? Maybe this parent is a former professional player and the coach accepts help "from the stands" with this parent.

I know the old joke is that it is best to have a team full of orphans but this guy just may have a team full of players that hate their parents and that is why they never interacted with a parent at a game.

Yeah, this coach is making a lot of assumptions about this situation. In travel ball these days, many of the coaches are more manager and less coach. Most of the work is put in at home or with personal instructors and many of these teams only practice together a handful of times a year. To assume this player and her dad are disrespecting the coach with their interaction is really just kind of dumb. Hell the player might have ask the coach in the dugout if she could go talk to her dad, he or she doesn't know. You would think a college coach would have a better understanding have how travel ball works these days. Personally, I think I would be just fine if this coach didn't bother recruiting my daughter.

Saw the coach of a D2 college program tweet complaining about a player being angry after getting out in a state semifinal, and was dropping said player off of her list because she walked to the dugout then slammed her helmet down. A month later, that player signs D1. Oh, and about a week later, I saw coaches praising a player at a top D1 college for similar behavior, but with a different perspective for the "why," and how good cultures and coaches allow their players be emotional (to an extent) in the heat of the moment, but then will discipline in private rather than in front of everyone.

Every coach is different, and as some have said, they could just be looking for reasons to say no. In my example, the coach tweeted during the game immediately after it happened, and said which game she was at, so everyone knew which player she was talking about. It was kind of unprofessional, IMO. But to each their own.

Last edited:
You're overreacting but to think that college coaches will look past helicopter/involved parents is ludicrous.... I coach aau basketball in exposure level events and one of the first questions college coaches always ask is about the parents. In the day and age of transfer portal madness, I can't blame them for looking into all sides of a potential recruit.

You're overreacting but to think that college coaches will look past helicopter/involved parents is ludicrous.... I coach aau basketball in exposure level events and one of the first questions college coaches always ask is about the parents. In the day and age of transfer portal madness, I can't blame them for looking into all sides of a potential recruit.
Then talk to the travel coach. As an AAU coach, would you be offended if a college coach passed on one of your players because they saw one thing, one time out of context that you supported?

College coaches are prone to error too. Thinking they can view a single event and extrapolate it to a person's entire life is beyond silly.

If Brad Sellers or Larry Nance instructed a player during an AAU game, that would be enough to stop recruiting them?

This is why “coaches Twitter” / “recruiting Twitter” is so annoying. Past a certain point these posts stopped being informative and instead became lazy platitudes about generally agreeable opinions (e.g. demonstrate good body language) that are self-serving.

FWIW, the guy who wrote the message in the original post Yappi is citing coaches at a low-end D3 program in Iowa. I can’t even think of a program here in Ohio analogous to them. Really being picky for good reason, aren’t we? ?

FWIW, the guy who wrote the message in the original post Yappi is citing coaches at a low-end D3 program in Iowa. I can’t even think of a program here in Ohio analogous to them. Really being picky for good reason, aren’t we? ?
Good catch. Yes, it was a really low level coach that I thought came across as really arrogant. I didn't include it in the original post because I didn't want it to simply be about a bad coach making dumb statements. IMO, it came across like he was turning away a player because of his "high standards" while it is more likely that the player would have never considered his school to begin with. Just rubbed me the wrong way.

I really think that every coach should do their due diligence on any player that he/she is recruiting. There should be pluses and minuses to every player and weighed together. Talking to a parent (or adult) during a game should not be an automatic disqualifier.

Then talk to the travel coach. As an AAU coach, would you be offended if a college coach passed on one of your players because they saw one thing, one time out of context that you supported?

College coaches are prone to error too. Thinking they can view a single event and extrapolate it to a person's entire life is beyond silly.
They don't get a lot of chances to see kids so yes a one time event can get a kid crossed off the list... we tell our kids that all the time. The AAU coaches should prepare the kids.