Colerain upsets Mason 1-0

Colerain 8-5-2 beat Mason 10-1-3 tonight 1-0. Not good just before the tournament.
Colerain has an outstanding keeper. He got credited with 11 saves tonight. They don't have a very potent offense, and an ok defense, but he gives them a chance in most every game they play. Tonight was an example of that. On that note, Mason has too much fire power to be getting shutout against Colerain, even with a great goalie.

Could have been resting guys heading into the tourney since the game meant nothing…however I doubt they expected to actually lose it.

post-seed meeting, and when conference implications carry no weight, you will always see strange results. happens every year... but, it is surprising with the the two best teams in SW Ohio.

post-seed meeting, and when conference implications carry no weight, you will always see strange results. happens every year... but, it is surprising with the the two best teams in SW Ohio.

I was thinking the same thing - these matchups post seeding can be a little misleading. I don't think a lot of coaches put their best teams on the field the final week of the regular season - at least not playing them the same amount of minutes as normal.

Colerain has an outstanding keeper. He got credited with 11 saves tonight. They don't have a very potent offense, and an ok defense, but he gives them a chance in most every game they play. Tonight was an example of that. On that note, Mason has too much fire power to be getting shutout against Colerain, even with a great goalie.
I wouldn’t look too much into goalie stats for a direction on a game. Those stats are recorded differently from team to team or league to league. Some schools seem to count every GK touch as a save.

Good for Colerain. Looking at the standings, that victory will finish them in the top half of the GMC.

Have to wonder if that's their first ever victory against Mason in soccer. I would certainly imagine that's the case. Full powered mason lineup or not, that has to feel good.

I wouldn’t look too much into goalie stats for a direction on a game. Those stats are recorded differently from team to team or league to league. Some schools seem to count every GK touch as a save.
Were you at the Colerain-Mason game? Have you ever seen the Colerain GK play?

Good for Colerain. Looking at the standings, that victory will finish them in the top half of the GMC.

Have to wonder if that's their first ever victory against Mason in soccer. I would certainly imagine that's the case. Full powered mason lineup or not, that has to feel good.
Out of my own interest I went through the GMC website to discover:

-This is the 3rd season in a row that Colerain has finished in the top half of the GMC (2019-2021). You have to go back to 2007 for the most recent time before this run.

-2007 was also the last time Colerain got a result against Mason (1-1) which was also Mason's first year in the conference. It appears they were riding a 13 year regular season losing streak against the comets -- with at least one postseason loss in there as well that I could see.

Good for Colerain. Any win against Mason is a good win for anybody. Mason’s JV Green team would beat tons of teams in the city. Starters or bench players, this is great for Colerain. Their keeper is legit, too.

Were you at the Colerain-Mason game? Have you ever seen the Colerain GK play?
Sorry. It wasn’t a shot at the keeper. I am sure he is good. All I was saying is that you can’t necessarily look at keeper stats to get a read on the game. All you have to do to verify this is look at the wide spread of keeper stats between leagues and teams. Some teams must record a pass back as a save. Some leagues the top keepers have 250 saves on the season. In others they have 40. Wasn’t bashing the kid…just don’t rely on save numbers for a game storyline.

I've seen the kid play plenty of times. He's one of the best if not the best in the GMC. I was just using that stat as a reference point.

Sorry. It wasn’t a shot at the keeper. I am sure he is good. All I was saying is that you can’t necessarily look at keeper stats to get a read on the game. All you have to do to verify this is look at the wide spread of keeper stats between leagues and teams. Some teams must record a pass back as a save. Some leagues the top keepers have 250 saves on the season. In others they have 40. Wasn’t bashing the kid…just don’t rely on save numbers for a game storyline.
And, sometimes the stats are correct. Can take it as it is since you weren't there and didn't see it. It's not like Colerain and Mason are that obtuse when it comes to soccer stats.

Tallying 11 saves isn't anything that is truly abnormal. It's not like they recorded 40 saves for him in the game.

Colerain keeper may be the best in the nation.
Look man, you have people trying to tell you their keeper is very good and thats why a decent team like Colerain has a chance to beat a far superior team like Mason. But I guess it doesn't mean anything to you, even if you get the same story from multiple people.

Are the kids from Mason that were suspended for the Colerain game returning for the tournament or is their season over? Or, do they have to sit out 3 more games?

Let's just say kids will be kids. Some things happened after they won the GMC. I'm not entirely in the know so I don't want to spread rumors. I did hear there were 4-5 kids that didn't play vs. Colerain due to suspensions and their seasons were over. I'm sure many folks thought they were just resting some starters. Perhaps there's an appeal process with the OHSAA and the suspensions were dropped to 2-4 games. If it's 2 games, they can probably manage. 4 games or more and their path becomes much more difficult through the tournament.

Let's just say kids will be kids. Some things happened after they won the GMC. I'm not entirely in the know so I don't want to spread rumors. I did hear there were 4-5 kids that didn't play vs. Colerain due to suspensions and their seasons were over. I'm sure many folks thought they were just resting some starters. Perhaps there's an appeal process with the OHSAA and the suspensions were dropped to 2-4 games. If it's 2 games, they can probably manage. 4 games or more and their path becomes much more difficult through the tournament.
Just sounds strange. Winning GMC is the expectation for Mason.

I am not sure ohsaa has any jurisdiction unless they received red cards in a game or something happened on the field. If it's a schools discipline for something that happened off the field which it sounds like they might be at the mercy of the principal.

I am not sure ohsaa has any jurisdiction unless they received red cards in a game or something happened on the field. If it's a schools discipline for something that happened off the field which it sounds like they might be at the mercy of the principal.

Yep. OHSAA is pretty specific about suspensions - double yellow red cards are 1 game, straight red cards are 2 games and any punch gets you 4 games. Off field stuff is outside of their purview. Schools / coaches have their own methods of dealing with other issues, though.

Suspended from games? For what? Do you mean school suspensions? This is an extremely vague post.

I didn’t hear about school suspensions, just games. I am not directly involved so am hesitant to share exactly what I heard. But I do know they missed the Colerain game and I did hear they are missing more games. I just don’t know if it’s the rest of the season or if the suspension was reduced. I have no idea how the school is handling it. Like I said, kids being kids. Hopefully it’s a lesson learned for them. Let’s also hope it doesn’t impact the seniors and they will be able to play again.

I didn’t hear about school suspensions, just games. I am not directly involved so am hesitant to share exactly what I heard. But I do know they missed the Colerain game and I did hear they are missing more games. I just don’t know if it’s the rest of the season or if the suspension was reduced. I have no idea how the school is handling it. Like I said, kids being kids. Hopefully it’s a lesson learned for them. Let’s also hope it doesn’t impact the seniors and they will be able to play again.

I don't think people are questioning whether or not the players were suspended from school. Instead, they're wondering if the 4 (or 2) game suspensions were because of cards earned in a game or because the coach or school chose to suspend them for off-field actions.

For example, my son's team was unfortunately in the middle of a bench clearing brawl last season. They had one player who was shown a red card for throwing a punch during the fight. He got a four game suspension from OHSAA. After the game, however, the coaches and the AD reviewed the game footage and determined that four other players left the bench during the fight. The coach/AD gave those four players a one game suspension.

Seems to me this is a code of conduct / school issue. I agree that OHSAA likely doesn’t have jurisdiction over such issues. I’ve seen a lot of the Mason games and I don’t recall a flury of red cards. I watched the Colerain game and noticed a number of kids didn’t play. I just assumed they were destined kids. I hadn’t heard about suspensions.

I know student athletes have to sign a code of conduct form each year. Violations can lead to suspensions. If it’s alcohol related, the suspension could be severe. I don’t think schools have a lot of tolerance for drug and alcohol abuse if that’s what happened.

Yet...come on here to spread rumors. Good job. ?‍♂️