Coaching Pay

Everything is voted on, and there are many supplemental positions besides coaches. Most of them pay less than coaching, but there aren't as many hours involved either.

Decades ago, our coaching pay was too low for the size of our school and the league we were in. A member of our "union" negotiating team told me, "We have such good kids here you should be willing to coach for less."

The year the administration had trouble finding suitable head coach candidates for football, boys basketball, and wrestling the administration decided to increase the pay.
This is eventually going to lead to "AAU" and club teams replacing many school sanctioned sports. There are many parents and people in communities that believe it should be an honor to coach their athletes since they likely coached the kids in youth sports for free, they don't see why it wouldn't be done for little to no money at the higher levels. Unfortunately, it's just the world we live in.

Yes - this is what I have been saying. If the union doesnt place a priority on these, we will continue to see this issue. However, in the end, reps would often concede on such things to get other higher value benefits. While this is going to anger those receiving supplementals, having had these conversations and negotiations, you'd be hard pressed to find a teacher who agrees to higher stipends if it meant sacrificing base salary, percent increases, or benefit costs.
Some athletic departments have separated from the teacher's unions for that reason. Coaches didn't see themselves as a priority to the union so they released themselves from the union umbrella.

Some athletic departments have separated from the teacher's unions for that reason. Coaches didn't see themselves as a priority to the union so they released themselves from the union umbrella.
so the coaches went fair share. The athletic department is still the district and thus the employer then who can set pay under the authority of the board. Unless a department became a separate legal entity which would be highly unusual at the K12 level (and costly).
This is eventually going to lead to "AAU" and club teams replacing many school sanctioned sports. There are many parents and people in communities that believe it should be an honor to coach their athletes since they likely coached the kids in youth sports for free, they don't see why it wouldn't be done for little to no money at the higher levels. Unfortunately, it's just the world we live in.
This schism will be for alot of other reasons first, before it becomes due to coaching.

well when you can potentially lose your job its not really worth it, coaching shortages are only really happening at places where the culture is bad and kids really don't want to change it as well. Its hard when parents want change but really don't want their kids held accountable or force them to put in the effort this is why the competitive gap continues to widen. The world we live in is parents really do not have realistic expectation of what their child capable of, because of some AAU or private club coach who charges $40 for private lessons has lied to them.

Last edited:
Do years of experience as an 8th grade coach count toward a varsity coach's pay?

Do years of experience as a varsity coach count toward an 8th grade coach's pay?
This is a local decision negotiated by the union and board. I have seen it done both ways to be honest.

Maybe, but not in the foreseeable future.

That's something that the union and administration would both have to agree to.

This is a local decision negotiated by the union and board. I have seen it done both ways to be honest.
At my last job neither applied because neither was specifically in the contract. Later both were accepted by interpretation.

Can you give me an actual example in Ohio please

I believe Dublin schools have a 2:1 policy. For any 2 years at a lower level spot (Asst coach), you get 1 year of credit if you become the HC.
Probably the same idea MS to HS.

I coached 4 sports a total of 54 seasons and never lost money on any of them.
I wouldn’t say anyone “loses” money but if you’re adding gas, gear, maybe a purchase or two for a kid- I could see a coach breaking even when some smaller sport stipends are $1200 for an asst baseball coach.

Some schools will offer head coaches additional pay through a "Weight Room Supervisor" stipend. That can be an extra $4-5000 for a coach.
I looking into the contract at Massillon (because why not?) and I was surprised to see how much they pay.

Not sure what a "Football Coordinator, Scouting" position does but its worth a lot of money!
View attachment 51009
Wow if this is real that is crazy high pay for assistants. Most programs aren't paying their assistants more than a few thousand a year. Head coaches really aren't making this type of money...

well when you can potentially lose your job its not really worth it, coaching shortages are only really happening at places where the culture is bad and kids really don't want to change it as well. Its hard when parents want change but really don't want their kids held accountable or force them to put in the effort this is why the competitive gap continues to widen. The world we live in is parents really do not have realistic expectation of what their child capable of, because of some AAU or private club coach who charges $40 for private lessons has lied to them.
Do you think a lot of coaches are also making money from sources outside of the districts contracts. Sources like booster clubs or wealthy donors, radio shows, local business endorsements etc.

As less and less teachers coach, coaches pay and agreements will get worse because there is no incentive or reason for the union to care when collective bargaining. I actually brought this up in a union meeting when we were bargaining our last contract. "Why should our union care about coaches pay, only 3 union members coach?" and the room fell silent.
This.

It's also, I've discovered, more financially worthwhile to simply teach and pursue a masters degree than it is to coach.

Financially unless you coach football or basketball you're better off simply getting a masters and not coaching.

Sure, you'll have to pay some cost to get it upfront (there are some cheap options out there by the way) but over the course of your career you'll make it all back and then some.

Last edited:
For the one starting in 2023? Because until June 30, 2023 it was in the contract. See the SERB site.
You are correct but if my sources are correct, they are negotiated outside of the contract. They don’t get the 3% raise the teachers may get, but they can negotiate a different % in the review committee. Does that make sense?

You are correct but if my sources are correct, they are negotiated outside of the contract. They don’t get the 3% raise the teachers may get, but they can negotiate a different % in the review committee. Does that make sense?
yes however if it’s negotiated in the review committee it’s still a contractual system.

This.

It's also, I've discovered, more financially worthwhile to simply teach and pursue a masters degree than it is to coach.

Financially unless you coach football or basketball you're better off simply getting a masters and not coaching.

Sure, you'll have to pay some cost to get it upfront (there are some cheap options out there by the way) but over the course of your career you'll make it all back and then some.
It’s a smarter move to coach a second tier sport- like golf or bowling.
The time invested is a fraction of what football or basketball are giving and the pay is probably “worth” the time.
Plus I doubt many districts have uncles yelling at the coach when they tell the kid to swing an 8 iron vs a 9!