Coaching Changes

Of these openings, which ones are among the top of the list in terms of desirability? Not based on size but community support, quality players in the program in the short term to win, support from the administration, etc.
That’s a great question.

Wrestling and Basketball do not share the same guys.

Wynford, historically, is a very basketball driven and proud community

Wrestling and Basketball do not share the same guys.

Wynford, historically, is a very basketball driven and proud community
No they don't so when kids are making a choice at lower levels to continue, at Clyde they have chosen wrestling.

Historically the same can be said for their football but it has fallen as well.

IMG_2799.jpeg
One of the Toledo area jobs off of the board. Maumee found their guy.

I’d say Carey, Clyde, Findlay, Maumee, Wynford, and Van Wert would all be highly sought after positions
I'd say maybe after next season for Findlay, it's going to be a very difficult season for the Trojans. All seniors and Montgomery this season. No one else played any significant varsity minutes.

I'd say maybe after next season for Findlay, it's going to be a very difficult season for the Trojans. All seniors and Montgomery this season. No one else played any significant varsity minutes.
I candidly don't see Findlay doing all that well for several seasons -- two for sure and maybe three or four. Unless there are some transfers or move-ins that can help.

NWOsportfan said:
I’d say Carey, Clyde, Findlay, Maumee, Wynford, and Van Wert would all be highly sought after positions

So now after seeing some replies, there is general talk that Clyde, Wynford and Findlay may not be highly sought after. Plus I am hearing that Wynford may be going thru some financial cuts that could affect sports.

NWOsportfan said:

So now after seeing some replies, there is general talk that Clyde, Wynford and Findlay may not be highly sought after. Plus I am hearing that Wynford may be going thru some financial cuts that could affect sports.

I think success is attainable at all those places. Not saying there will be final four banners being hung but I think each place has some perks and advantages compared to their conference counterparts

NWOsportfan said:

If I'm a potential coach looking at positions/options I would say financial health of a district should be a consideration, especially if you need a teaching or administrative position that could be on the table. Good to check out the school district's 5-year forecast sent into the state every year to get a sense of where they're at.

I think success is attainable at all those places. Not saying there will be final four banners being hung but I think each place has some perks and advantages compared to their conference counterparts
We're not going to split hairs, but your post was those places would be highly sought after positions. Wynford fired their coach who had consecutive winning records, was a Wynford guy and now they are saying possible financial cuts. Clyde is a football first school and then wrestling, so at best basketball is the third supported sport in the district and their coach also stepped down unexpectedly, which could be from a lack of support. Findlay was very senior heavy going 20-2 and still only won 1 game in tournament and now going 7 divisions may play in a 64 team division with schools much larger than them. I feel all of these reasons could lead to these three schools not having highly sought after positions.

Northwest Ohio list:

Ada
Allen East - hired Ben Belcher
Bryan
Cardinal Stritch - hired Shaun Scott
Carey
Clyde
Cory-Rawson
Danbury
Edgerton
Elida
Evergreen
Fayette
Findlay
Fostoria
Kenton
Lima Bath - hired Dre White
Mansfield St. Peter's - hired Roy Shoulders
Maumee - hired TJ Gillespie
Monroeville - hired Bob Fries
Riverdale
Sherwood Fairview
Springfield
St. Marys Memorial
Tiffin Columbian
Toledo Start
Toledo Waite
Upper Scioto Valley
Van Wert
Wynford
Riverdale has filled their opening with Cory-Rawson coach Al Thomas.

Big Walnut finds their guy at Otterbein College.
And once again schools looking for a young guy to be around for 15 years and then they bolt before they even get started. Be careful what you wish for ! Hire the most qualified, this is not a beauty pageant.

And once again schools looking for a young guy to be around for 15 years and then they bolt before they even get started. Be careful what you wish for ! Hire the most qualified, this is not a beauty pageant.
I doubt BW was thinking Winters would stay for 15 years. As for being qualified he surely is.

I doubt BW was thinking Winters would stay for 15 years. As for being qualified he surely is.
Don’t know anything about him. I’m sure he’s qualified. My point is , these young guys bounce around and leave schools holding the bag after 3-4 years. No way to build a program.

Don’t know anything about him. I’m sure he’s qualified. My point is , these young guys bounce around and leave schools holding the bag after 3-4 years. No way to build a program.
That’s so true, but how do you keep them around? Many young guys want to move up through the ranks if they’re valued and are let go if they aren’t. Not sure there’s a solution.

That’s so true, but how do you keep them around? Many young guys want to move up through the ranks if they’re valued and are let go if they aren’t. Not sure there’s a solution.
There isn’t a solution. It’s rough for HS coaches today. I have a problem with bad hires or guys coming in for 2-3 years , reap the harvest of the previous coach. Then they run out the door. I’m All for coaches bettering themselves . Many guys who bounce around, usually make a sideways move or a slight uptick.

I know you are specifically talking about HS coaches but the list of people who stay at a single job for 15 plus years is declining in every field of life. IF a school can get a good coach for 3-4 years they would take it and then look for another good one. It's the way it works.