Coach K retiring

Omar

I knew this had to happen sometime, but it still bums me out. I do think with all the chaos around the Transfer portal, G League, etc, Scheyer is a good pick to replace him. I think he should get 3 years to prove himself, and if that doesn’t work, reach out to Brad Stevens.

I dont think Duke will survive down the road.

in 50 years some kids will be looking at the record books and see "what....Duke used to be good?"

I dont think Duke will survive down the road.

in 50 years some kids will be looking at the record books and see "what....Duke used to be good?"
Duke has too many resources to completely drop off the map. I do believe Scheyer will still recruit at a high level and being a much younger Coach will manage the chaos of College Basketball better.

However, if Scheyer does not work, Brad Stevens will be an option. The Celtics mgt is strongly connected to Duke, I believe the owner had two sons who were Walk Ons.

Duke was pretty good (but not great) before Coach K. I tend to think one way or another, they'll be fine.

I think Scheyer should get 4-5 years to try to make things work and get out of Coach K's shadow. If he does not work, there are multiple theoretical options that would win their balls off at Duke. The two obvious ones to me are Brad Stevens and Quin Snyder. With the transfer portal and other shifts in the college game, both of those college-experienced NBA guys would win big with Duke's resources.

Last edited:
I think at some point in time, we'll have some dirt come out regarding Duke and Coach K. There is simply no way you can get the talent he's got over the years recruiting clean.

I think at some point in time, we'll have some dirt come out regarding Duke and Coach K. There is simply no way you can get the talent he's got over the years recruiting clean.
I’m sure there’s SOME dirt, but probably nothing compared to the likes of Sean Miller, Will Wade, and Bill Self.

I’m sure there’s SOME dirt, but probably nothing compared to the likes of Sean Miller, Will Wade, and Bill Self.
I think Coach K is smarter than those guys and has been completely insulated from any direct contacts. College sports are in such a mess. No matter what happens, cheating goes on.

I think everyone is dirty is some way in major college basketball, some much more than others.

Up until maybe the last 7-8 years my visual of the typical Duke stud player is a squeaky clean cut kid that you wouldn't expect to be searching for a payday on the AAU circuit for their signing. If something "big" were ever to be revealed, it would be from the last few years and would 100% not have a direct connection to Coach K.

I think Coach K is smarter than those guys and has been completely insulated from any direct contacts. College sports are in such a mess. No matter what happens, cheating goes on.
I don’t want to accuse K of anything, even though I never cared much for the Duke program, but IF there were ever any illegal stuff K would be smart enough for plausible deniability, a la John Wooden.

Ironically, Duke’s arch rival over in Chapel Hill had legit institutional academic cheating occurring to benefit athletes/teams over a course of decades and it may as well have never happened as I know of no penalty of any consequence administered.