Club Season 23-24

Attack's 17-1 team from last year was a bit down compared to previous years. There could be some additions out there to help them out like kids who played at OP, Vanguard, Dayton area kids, etc. Offensively they needed help last year. It was the Hausfeld show, and as good as he is, against open/national level 17s teams he wasn't enough. Also heard he may try to go to Vanguard this year. Geselbrecht would be a very good weapon is he played at a more consistent level. I don't know the kid, but it looks like he's half-assing it most of the time - although he looked better in the state tournament for Moeller.

Attack's 17-1 team from last year was a bit down compared to previous years. There could be some additions out there to help them out like kids who played at OP, Vanguard, Dayton area kids, etc. Offensively they needed help last year. It was the Hausfeld show, and as good as he is, against open/national level 17s teams he wasn't enough. Also heard he may try to go to Vanguard this year. Geselbrecht would be a very good weapon is he played at a more consistent level. I don't know the kid, but it looks like he's half-assing it most of the time - although he looked better in the state tournament for Moeller.
He did get benched at one point during their state run, but, yeah, when he's on, he's tough to stop.

Would be disappointing for more Cincy kids to go to Vanguard. Not sure what Attack and/or OP need to do to get kids like Hausfeld, Wilke, Brockman, Huynh, Patterson, etc. to stay local, but it'd certainly help them out on the national stage. Think some of the issues at Attack could be that it feels like it's very much an Elder club with a lot of the coaches being Elder alum; I'm counting 15 out of about 30. Nothing necessarily wrong with that as it's a great program that's had lots of success, but need to try and get more school diversity on the staff.

OHSSA rule of limiting 3 players per HS to the same Club team is becoming a problem. There just aren't enough Boys Club teams in town to spread the wealth.

The # of player from a school allowed per a club team is a max of 3 players. The # started at 3 then in about 2011 or so it was changed to 4 players max, due to not having enough club teams in the area. Once boys volleyball moved to OHSAA the max # was moved back to 3 just like the girls. In my opinion just another screw up when it moved to OHSAA.

Attack 18's will have some new faces this year according to the roster of accepted players on their website. 4 new players that were not in the Attack program last year

Aidan Berkemeier
Jordan Brockman
Peter Wilke
Adam Blair

Attack 18's will have some new faces this year according to the roster of accepted players on their website. 4 new players that were not in the Attack program last year

Aidan Berkemeier
Jordan Brockman
Peter Wilke
Adam Blair
Wilke and Brockman from Vanguard 17-1s last year. Berk from OP 18-1. Blair from CVA.

Interesting to see where the other Berk ends up.

Andrew Berkemeier and Todd Snyder both accepted Attack as well. Only players from last year's Attack 17s are Geselbracht, Marcum, and Boyett so far

Andrew Berkemeier and Todd Snyder both accepted Attack as well. Only players from last year's Attack 17s are Geselbracht, Marcum, and Boyett so far
No Hausfeld either so he’s either weighing his options or he’s going to Vanguard. Would be interesting seeing as Attack just grabbed 3 guys from Vanguard’s top team

No Hausfeld either so he’s either weighing his options or he’s going to Vanguard. Would be interesting seeing as Attack just grabbed 3 guys from Vanguard’s top team
Yes and no. I’m not sure about Wilke, but I believe Brockman played libero for Vanguard 17-1s, and Aidan Kolb will return as libero for Vanguard 18-1s I’m sure.

Safe to assume Vanguard will have Gantt, Kolb, and Jones on the 18-1 team again this year.

After that, Heit as expected setter with Koch, Shomock, and Verceles in the mix as well

Safe to assume Vanguard will have Gantt, Kolb, and Jones on the 18-1 team again this year.

After that, Heit as expected setter with Koch, Shomock, and Verceles in the mix as well
Agreed. Shomock at OPP, Heit setting 5-1. In the middle Koch, Jones. At OH they could have Verceles, Rakocy to go with the returning Gantt. Do they really have a spot for Hausfeld? Kolb at lib for sure.

Wilke and Snyder would have fought for the 3rd MB spot at Vanguard. At attack, at least one of them (if not both) will start I think.

Just saw Wyatt Jones added to the Attack 18-1 roster. I'd think that means Hausfeld will be elsewhere. Interesting choice, if so.

Honestly, an interesting 10 on the attack roster. Berk appears to be OH1, OH 2 could be Jones (who is smaller but better ball control) or Wilke who has played OH for several years at Bacon. Boyett has also played a little OH I believe. Wilke, Boyett, Bliar and Snyder all MB options. Then you have two setters in Berk and Marcum who both have the size and ability to hit OPP.

My guess is Jones plays more as a DS unless they're struggling with passing. Brockman is a good defender, but his serve receive was a little iffy at times when I've seen him.

All in all, this 18-1 team is a step up from the 17-1s last year even without Hausfeld.

Last edited:
Just saw Wyatt Jones added to the Attack 18-1 roster. I'd think that means Hausfeld will be elsewhere. Interesting choice, if so.

Honestly, an interesting 10 on the attack roster. Berk appears to be OH1, OH 2 could be Jones (who is smaller but better ball control) or Wilke who has played OH for several years at Bacon. Boyett has also played a little OH I believe. Wilke, Boyett, Bliar and Snyder all MB options. Then you have two setters in Berk and Marcum who both have the size and ability to hit OPP.

My guess is Jones plays more as a DS unless they're struggling with passing. Brockman is a good defender, but his serve receive was a little iffy at times when I've seen him.

All in all, this 18-1 team is a step up from the 17-1s last year even without Hausfeld.
I’m thinking they have to be putting Brockman at L with the other 2 setters. There’s also Geselbracht still so, assuming it’s a 6-2, I think Marcum comes out in the front row. My guess would be:
S - Berk
S - Marcum
OH - Berk
OH - Wilke (Jones as his DS; stays in front row every once in awhile as Wilke can be prone to inconsistent hitting)
MH - Boyett
MH - Blair/Snyder
Opp - Geselbracht
L - Brockman

If they wanna get everyone involved, Blair or Snyder plays front row for Berk and the other stays at MH

OHSSA rule of limiting 3 players per HS to the same Club team is becoming a problem. There just aren't enough Boys Club teams in town to spread the wealth.
I'm not disagreeing that some years it can be an issue, but OP still exists as does Cincy Elite (was CVA's boys program). Obviously the current level of play of those clubs will be lower than Attack, I think. But if you don't like those options, then play for whichever team you're placed on at Attack. Attack's 2s teams have usually been competitive - and even now it looks like the 3s teams will be very good at 18s and 17s.

I'm not disagreeing that some years it can be an issue, but OP still exists as does Cincy Elite (was CVA's boys program). Obviously the current level of play of those clubs will be lower than Attack, I think. But if you don't like those options, then play for whichever team you're placed on at Attack. Attack's 2s teams have usually been competitive - and even now it looks like the 3s teams will be very good at 18s and 17s.
Totally agree here. It's only a problem because egos get involved. Do you love the sport and want to improve? Then play on the team you're placed on. At the 18s level at Attack, for example, guys like Jack Davis (18-4s), Carson Hill (18-2s), Mitch Kelly (18-2s) and Luke Oliver (18-3s) were all Black team players in very recent memory, but have stuck with it. I know it probably doesn't feel good, but I applaud them for rolling with it.

OP and Elite will need to do some serious recruiting to continue growing. Kids that have been at OP have been going, or going back, to Attack in droves since Anitra was let go. OP has done decently well against Attack in recent years, but looks like they lost a lot to Attack this year. I do hope it continues to spread out and give more kids opportunities, though.

MWBPS series is being held at Spooky Nook on January 6th and 7th. The event is sold out out. 215 boys team ages 11-18 will be playing. This is going to be a great event for boys volleyball in the greater Cincinnati area. Don’t forget to check it out.

18U Ohio teams in Chi-Town:
Vanguard in the 18 open copper bracket
Attack made silver in 18 open and lost to sports performance's 2's
A2 made gold in 18 Open but lost to MB Surf

Big California tourney this weekend. It should be interesting to see how the Ohio club teams play. I believe Vanguard/Attack/A2 are all heading out west.

Last edited:
Big California tourney this weekend. It should be interesting to see house the Ohio club teams play. I believe Vanguard/Attack/A2 are all heading out west.
In LA, right? Whew, parents really dishin' out the dough this season with nationals in June, too

In LA but hotel cost were lower than expected. Looks like a loaded Tournament.
18-Open 70 teams
17-Open 56 teams
16-Open 64 teams
15-Open 48 teams

A very good showing in LA for A2 and Cincy Attack both finished 9th in gold.
Surprisingly Vanguard did not attend. The Nike Tournament in Pittsburg on 2/10 & 11 should be a very competitive weekend.