Clinton-Massie Analysis

Millennium Falcon

Alter (10-3) dominated Clinton-Massie 21-3. Massie's season ends after a 10-0 regular season. Unfortunately the blame is on themselves. May this be a lesson to any future high school coaches. Scheduling easy teams to go undefeated will not prepare you for the playoffs. Massie made critical mental error after error last night. A few critical mistakes include fumbling on the second play from scrimmage, failing to secure a fumble on the goal line, dropping a wide open pass that may have been a touchdown, and allowing alter to break 4+ tackles and score a 75 yard TD. Had Massie scheduled some better teams they would have been mentally prepared and these mistakes may not have happened.

For any teams scheduling Massie in the future I advise rolling tape of this game and study Alters defensive execution. Tape from the 2022 Fenwick vs Massie game would also be a good idea. Both games exposed Massies inability to pass the football and how to shutdown the run game.

Congrats to the Alter fanbase and program and good luck the rest of the way.

Alter played their boring but effective bone. Massie played their boring but effective triple option. Team with less mistakes win. Easy to predict other than which squad of teenagers will make less mistakes on any given night.

This is funny because they have the exact opposite argument on the Elder thread. That making the schedule too hard doesn't help.

Alter (10-3) dominated Clinton-Massie 21-3. Massie's season ends after a 10-0 regular season. Unfortunately the blame is on themselves. May this be a lesson to any future high school coaches. Scheduling easy teams to go undefeated will not prepare you for the playoffs. Massie made critical mental error after error last night. A few critical mistakes include fumbling on the second play from scrimmage, failing to secure a fumble on the goal line, dropping a wide open pass that may have been a touchdown, and allowing alter to break 4+ tackles and score a 75 yard TD. Had Massie scheduled some better teams they would have been mentally prepared and these mistakes may not have happened.

For any teams scheduling Massie in the future I advise rolling tape of this game and study Alters defensive execution. Tape from the 2022 Fenwick vs Massie game would also be a good idea. Both games exposed Massies inability to pass the football and how to shutdown the run game.

You're an effing idiot. Check their 5 game out of conference schedule moron. Only one losing record and all 5 plus Wilmington, played in week 11 and them some. Waynesville is playing for a regional championship. The weak conference is what it is.
Massie wasn't at their best and missing their 2 best running backs and a starter on defense added more challenge. They were outplayed and admitted that. BFD...its high school football. And check their non-conference schedule next year jackwad.

Last edited:
Massie and Coldwatee renew their brief rivalry next year.
But, then again, CW is only a D5/D6 team over the last number of years so lolls like CM, again, is taking the easy route with their schedule.

However, the Cava7iers will be way, way down next year.

Massie and Coldwatee renew their brief rivalry next year.
But, then again, CW is only a D5/D6 team over the last number of years so lolls like CM, again, is taking the easy route with their schedule.

However, the Cava7iers will be way, way down next year.
Don't do any good to play mac schools in reg. season doesn't prepare you for the playoffs when you play the big boys.

Alter (10-3) dominated Clinton-Massie 21-3. Massie's season ends after a 10-0 regular season. Unfortunately the blame is on themselves. May this be a lesson to any future high school coaches. Scheduling easy teams to go undefeated (Fenwick's non conference teams were a combined 8-42 on the year) will not prepare you for the playoffs.(Fenwick once again were well out of playoff contention finishing 22nd out 26 teams) Massie made critical mental error after error last night.(Fenwick played a game where they had 5 DL literally diving at the ankles of a teams OL, giving up 5 players with no opportunity to make a tackle) A few critical mistakes include fumbling on the second play from scrimmage, failing to secure a fumble on the goal line, dropping a wide open pass that may have been a touchdown, and allowing alter to break 4+ tackles and score a 75 yard TD. Had Massie scheduled some better teams they would have been mentally prepared and these mistakes may not have happened. (If Fenwick would have scheduled decent teams, they would have just lost them and still missed the playoffs)

For any teams scheduling Massie in the future I advise rolling tape of this game and study Alters defensive execution. Tape from the 2022 Fenwick vs Massie game would also be a good idea. Both games exposed Massies inability to pass the football and how to shutdown the run game. (Films from the last couple of years of Fenwick football will show teams if you want an easy win schedule them. With the 3 transfers already happening, the little falcons have very little talent coming back.

ill edit for accuracy

Now do Fenwick.

Wyoming would like a word with you. Sometimes injuries and playing a good team means you lose. No blame or shame needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-13 095730.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-13 095730.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 49
Wyoming would like a word with you. Sometimes injuries and playing a good team means you lose. No blame or shame needed.
CM had a terribly difficult schedule in 2020, the year before their state title, played wyoming in the regional final, and lost because a. they were beat up and b. wyoming played a perfect game. so playing a soft schedule is no guarantee of anything, and injuries are real risk for small-school football. also, wyoming plays in the CHL for reasons beyond football: they need teams that play girls golf, tennis, etc. they also don't want kids traveling all over SW ohio on school nights to play games.

Wondering if Big Red would have beaten Massie.
Good question. I would probably say yes this year. Wondering if the little falcons would have beaten the Big Red. We will never know. Won't ever it in the playoffs that far and we know they won't schedule anybody of that caliber regular season

Good question. I would probably say yes this year. Wondering if the little falcons would have beaten the Big Red. We will never know. Won't ever it in the playoffs that far and we know they won't schedule anybody of that caliber regular season

You have a lack of historical knowledge. Clinton Massie & Steubenville have played twice in the last 8 years:

* 2015, week2, Steubenville 37-18
* 2017, DIV State Championship game, Steubenville 50-36

In the last 10 years Clinton Massie has scheduled non-conference regular season games with Coldwater, Avon Lake (D2), Turpin (D2) and Anderson (D2) to name a few.

Clinton Massie will content to be a state caliber program as long as their Head Coach McShirley is there. It is always a challenge for the program to continue on with the same amount of success once there is a coaching change. Few schools/programs continue on with the same type of success, it is extremely difficult to continue. Good luck to Clinton Massie in the future.

If massie would just man up and join the swbl they would be battle tested come week 11. Geographically speaking and competitively speaking they should be in the swbl . Both would benefit from this addition
Hoping it happens

No , big red wasn’t beating massie. Alters schedule allowed them to continue to climb as the year went on and they peaked at the right time , few weeks earlier and that massie game is a closer one with alter . Massie will be fine, funny how success can have an impact on fans and a community, went undefeated and loss to alter who will win state or come darn close , nothing to be ashamed of

If massie would just man up and join the swbl they would be battle tested come week 11. Geographically speaking and competitively speaking they should be in the swbl . Both would benefit from this addition
Hoping it happens

A schools league affiliation is not just about one sport. A school needs to consider all of their boys & girls sports, the travel which is a $$$ factor, sizes of league schools, the projection of growth in their school district, etc. Regarding Clinton Massie football they have 3 state titles over the last 15 years. Their most recent title in 2021 their senior class played Anderson (D2) during the regular season and during their careers in junior high they played Columbus DeSales, Upper Arlington, Cincinnati Moeller just to name a few. Were they battle tested for their last game vs Youngstown Ursuline in the State Title game? The scoreboard said Clinton Massie 29-28.

Out of 715 or so Ohio high schools who have fielded football teams over the last 20 years or so, maybe 5-10 schools have done it better. I’d say Clinton Massie is doing just fine.

A schools league affiliation is not just about one sport. A school needs to consider all of their boys & girls sports, the travel which is a $$$ factor, sizes of league schools, the projection of growth in their school district, etc. Regarding Clinton Massie football they have 3 state titles over the last 15 years. Their most recent title in 2021 their senior class played Anderson (D2) during the regular season and during their careers in junior high they played Columbus DeSales, Upper Arlington, Cincinnati Moeller just to name a few. Were they battle tested for their last game vs Youngstown Ursuline in the State Title game? The scoreboard said Clinton Massie 29-28.

Out of 715 or so Ohio high schools who have fielded football teams over the last 20 years or so, maybe 5-10 schools have done it better. I’d say Clinton Massie is doing just fine.
Goodness , it would benefit them in all sports my guy. Goodness . They can play on small side of the league . Let’s see your math on the small side

So join a better league and have more consistent games from week to week . That Anderson here and upper alrington here are doing nothing but proving my point . You forgot fairmont , jv and freshman played fairmont too. They’d fit in perfect with valley view ans waynesville , brookville the crossovers with Bellbrook , Ross, Edgewood, etc would be really good .
🤔🤔

Goodness , it would benefit them in all sports my guy. Goodness . They can play on small side of the league . Let’s see your math on the small side

Maybe it would, I’m not that familiar with the SWBL but to say if Massie “would just man up and join the swbl they would be battle tested come week 11” is a incirrect statement. Massie’s historical playoff success (3 state titles) says they are battle tested come playoff time.

You have a lack of historical knowledge. Clinton Massie & Steubenville have played twice in the last 8 years:

* 2015, week2, Steubenville 37-18
* 2017, DIV State Championship game, Steubenville 50-36

In the last 10 years Clinton Massie has scheduled non-conference regular season games with Coldwater, Avon Lake (D2), Turpin (D2) and Anderson (D2) to name a few.

Clinton Massie will content to be a state caliber program as long as their Head Coach McShirley is there. It is always a challenge for the program to continue on with the same amount of success once there is a coaching change. Few schools/programs continue on with the same type of success, it is extremely difficult to continue. Good luck to Clinton Massie in the future.
Little falcons are Fenwick Falcons. So no disrespect meant toward your team. Intermingly falcon nicknames. I’m a Clinton Massie supporter

Hoping it happens
I don’t think manning up is the issue. Other sports to consider here. Think economics

BB, you are correct talking about joining the SWBL to be battle tested. CM schedules a brutal first 5 games only to coast through the SBC during most years. Not helping them peak at the right time. I’m with you. It’s time for the admin to step up and try to join the SWBL. CM had lots of relationships with SWBL schools. I have heard too many times from people in power at CM that football would be fine and the rest of the sports would struggle. I find that to be a lame excuse. Most non conference games played by sports other than football are with SWBL schools. Some wins and some losses but most are close games regardless. On top of that I believe that the only way to get better is to be challenged in every contest. The SBC sure doesn’t do that consistently in all sports especially in football. The SWBL would.

generally speaking, most of the SWBL is not great at football. Valley View, Bellbrook, Brookville are the exceptions.
Oakwood, Franklin, MaDison,Waynesville, Carlisle, Eaton, Monroe have been below average with a decent season now and then. Newcomers Edgewood and Ross were not great at all last season.

Last edited:
Clinton Massie is the little falcons. Until you have the nerve to schedule Fenwick and defeat us we are the real Falcons.
Rinse and Repeat. I will say your expansive rebuttals are impressive. Your ability to use logic and tough rhetoric to expound in your opinion is impressive. One of the great orators of your generation