CJ Eagles looking for new head coach

heavyweightfan

thought i would go out and start this thread. colvin leaving for beavercreek after a long stint at CJ. thoughts on this..real interesting, he’s a great dude and wish him success. will miss him in the GCL and at CJ

That’s a big loss for CJ and the Coed. No doubt a bump in salary. Best of luck Coach Colvin.

You don’t covet a pay cut Leaving a public school for a private school is always a paycut especially if a teaching job is part of the deal. My guess a teaching job at CJ pays around 40,000, coaching job another 6,000. Public school is 55,000 depending on degree and experience and head coaching job around 9,000 dollars. Not likely he would want an 18,000 dollar pay cut.

I hope he does well at the creek. It is a tough job but you can win SOME there with the right coach and system. Throwing and RPO will not work there. Need to focus on running the ball like wing T or option team.

CJ should bring back Jim Place for two-three years, let him pick his successor and groom him for it. Coach Place is still a great leader of men and he could easily fulfill this task as his last hoorah.

CJ should bring back Jim Place for two-three years, let him pick his successor and groom him for it. Coach Place is still a great leader of men and he could easily fulfill this task as his last hoorah.
What I like better is having Coach Place on the hiring committee, Hiring a great young coach and hiring Coach Place as Assistant Head Coach, and giving the new HC a great mentor.

Love the Idea of Coach Place returning. Unless there is a really good candidate out there. Otherwise he’d be great bridging the gap until they find/mentor someone to take over.

Earl is a great guy and gets a ton out of his talent pool. My only issue is his double wing offense, I don’t think that flies with CJ schedule. You need a QB centered offense. You have to run the spread there now with vertical passing threat and zone running game. Maybe Earl can adjust but his calling card has been double wing.

Earl is a great guy and gets a ton out of his talent pool. My only issue is his double wing offense, I don’t think that flies with CJ schedule. You need a QB centered offense. You have to run the spread there now with vertical passing threat and zone running game. Maybe Earl can adjust but his calling card has been double wing.
Why do you HAVE to run spread?

To get the kind of players that CJ typically gets, you need an emphasis on skill players especially QB’s. Double Wing is not an offense focusing on QB’s.

You don’t necessarily need the biggest team to run the option. Hilliard Davidson won 2 state titles and was never the biggest team just a bunch of kids who bought into the system and worked really hard. A great coach can usually run any kind of offense its rather the players and hate to say it but parents buy in to what is teaching

Co
You don’t necessarily need the biggest team to run the option. Hilliard Davidson won 2 state titles and was never the biggest team just a bunch of kids who bought into the system and worked really hard. A great coach can usually run any kind of offense its rather the players and hate to say it but parents buy in to what is teaching
agreed but at a Catholic school parents and athletes do factor in how offensive schemes will fit around the individual. Many Skill kids will be turned off by implementing Wing T, Double Wing or even Flex Bone Option offenses. I know these offenses work and keep defensive coordinators up late at night but the issue is getting buy in from the groups you mentioned. Alter is a great exception to this; they run a 1970’s version of the Wishbone. Difference is though they have a Hall of Fame Coach who is legendary for winning championships and teaching toughness.

Co

agreed but at a Catholic school parents and athletes do factor in how offensive schemes will fit around the individual. Many Skill kids will be turned off by implementing Wing T, Double Wing or even Flex Bone Option offenses. I know these offenses work and keep defensive coordinators up late at night but the issue is getting buy in from the groups you mentioned. Alter is a great exception to this; they run a 1970’s version of the Wishbone. Difference is though they have a Hall of Fame Coach who is legendary for winning championships and teaching toughness.
Maybe, skilled kids will be turned off, maybe not. Why wouldn't a really good running back or fullback (skilled players) want to play in that offense? Why wouldn't a great athlete who likes being QB1, but isn't much with the arm want to play in one of those offenses? You might lose some receivers or maybe a big time QB, but there will be plenty of skilled guys willing to play in a run oriented offense they just might not be the skilled guys your talking about. Also, I firmly believe these run oriented offenses are much easier to build a successful program around than spread offenses. 99% of schools will have a dude that can tote the rock, most will only have a highly skilled QB that can read defenses and throw the ball all over the place once in a blue moon.

Maybe, skilled kids will be turned off, maybe not. Why wouldn't a really good running back or fullback (skilled players) want to play in that offense? Why wouldn't a great athlete who likes being QB1, but isn't much with the arm want to play in one of those offenses? You might lose some receivers or maybe a big time QB, but there will be plenty of skilled guys willing to play in a run oriented offense they just might not be the skilled guys your talking about. Also, I firmly believe these run oriented offenses are much easier to build a successful program around than spread offenses. 99% of schools will have a dude that can tote the rock, most will only have a highly skilled QB that can read defenses and throw the ball all over the place once in a blue moon.
like I said, I like these offenses. The key to winning games is ball control football. These offenses serve that function very well. Simply put, you can’t score if you don’t have the ball. Only issue is though, Catholic schools gotta put butts in seats

The Lord and Winning don't discriminate son ? Ara Parsegian coached at Notre Dame and was a die hard Presbyterian ?
Haha very true; didn't mean any harm by that... just poking a little fun at the culture-Christian clash with the traditional eyebrow raise