CHL Football 2020

Upcoming Matchups (Next Week)
Wyoming vs. Reading
Mariemont vs. Taylor
Finneytown vs. Madeira
Indian Hill vs. Deer Park

Any W/L predictions for next weeks openers?

I think this is finally Indian Hill’s year. As for this week, all blowouts. Wyoming, Mariemont, Madeira and Indian Hill win big.

Mariemont v Taylor should be a better game than most think, and DP is tricky with the option offense they run. IH will take them out but DP will fare

Does Taylor have much returning? Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing, although they did have a lot of injuries last year.

I agree this is IH's year. They have their QB Ty Thornton back. He adds a different dimension to their offense. Wyoming will still be really good, but life post prater may be tougher for them than people think.

I agree this is IH's year. They have their QB Ty Thornton back. He adds a different dimension to their offense. Wyoming will still be really good, but life post prater may be tougher for them than people think.

If the coach could have kept it in his pants they would never have lost Thornton but I agree, he should be very good. Wyoming will still be a good team but impossible to replace Prater.

If the coach could have kept it in his pants they would never have lost Thornton but I agree, he should be very good. Wyoming will still be a good team but impossible to replace Prater.
I must've missed something...
Of course, the year that Indian Hill might be better than Wyoming, they don't even play.

Looks like much better match ups this week. All look to be competitive games:

Taylor at Deer Park
Madeira at Indian Hill
Finneytown at Reading
Mariemont at Wyoming

I think DP over Taylor in a close one. Indian Hill wins fairly easily over Madeira. Reading over Finneytown and I think Mariemont breaks Wyoming's CHL winning streak.

Looks like much better match ups this week. All look to be competitive games:

Taylor at Deer Park
Madeira at Indian Hill
Finneytown at Reading
Mariemont at Wyoming

I think DP over Taylor in a close one. Indian Hill wins fairly easily over Madeira. Reading over Finneytown and I think Mariemont breaks Wyoming's CHL winning streak.
What part of Deer Park’s first game helped you make this week’s prediction?

What part of Deer Park’s first game helped you make this week’s prediction?
Agree, they sure didn’t show much vs IH. I guess I’m just basing it on the fact that I think IH is really good this year. I think they are much stronger than everyone else in the CHL so I don’t think them blowing out DP tells us that much about Deer Park.

Taylor at Deer Park: Battle. Ultimately, Taylor pulls it off.
Madeira at Indian Hill: IH. Great Match-Up. Potential for a lot of points, though IH pulls it off with more depth.
Finneytown at Reading. Reading. Finneytown will do those head-scratching Finneytown things.
Mariemont at Wyoming. Wyoming. WYO offense is not there yet, but still is best-in-class defensively which carries the day.

Agree, they sure didn’t show much vs IH. I guess I’m just basing it on the fact that I think IH is really good this year. I think they are much stronger than everyone else in the CHL so I don’t think them blowing out DP tells us that much about Deer Park.
Taylor lost by 11 to the team you think will beat Wyoming but you don't think they can handle Deer Park. I thought that was curious. I do enjoy the discussion, tho. Wish I could go to the game. Glad the kids are playing. Hope they get to play the whole season.

Taylor lost by 11 to the team you think will beat Wyoming but you don't think they can handle Deer Park. I thought that was curious. I do enjoy the discussion, tho. Wish I could go to the game. Glad the kids are playing. Hope they get to play the whole season.

You make some good points. It's early in the season so honestly, a lot of this is pure speculation on how good/bad these teams are. Maybe Reading is better than I thought - or maybe Wyoming just isn't that good? I think this week will be very interesting and will tell us a lot about who these teams really are but for now, I'm still saying its Indian Hill then a big drop off to the rest of the league.

this is wyomings league to lose they have earned that!

BUT last year Wyoming beat Reading by 50. only a 3 score game this year.

its now the Pagan era (for 1 year LOL) looks like he is playing both sides of the ball (maybe specials???)

Cowboys D will win them another CHL title (maybe CO-title this year) not their offense. I think Hester will be the kid to watch in the CHL for POY (was a STUD wrestler as a freshmen as well) ill miss not seeing the wyoming Taft match up early in the year!!!!!!

my predictions

1st Cowboys 6-0 ( will have a few of close games but their D will seal the deal)
IH 6-0 (somehow the CHL gods couldnt do some jocking around to see a Wyoming vs IH matchup)
Reading 4-2 (much improved showed by game vs wyoming even though thier offense may be down minus prater)
Mariemont 4-2 (you can guess who they lose to)
Maderia 3-3 (match up w/mariemont is big for runner up)
Taylor 2-4 (same thing as DP could swing a game or 2 either way)
DP 1-5 ( could swing either way a game or 2 i think taylor gets revenge from last years close game)
Ftown 0-6 (just way behind everyone else happy to see the FInch kid will get to play again after a bad injury last year)

Ftown 0-6 (just way behind everyone else happy to see the FInch kid will get to play again after a bad injury last year)

Great story in The Enquirer about this young man’s recovery to be ready to play this year and also display of great sportsmanship from the Mariemont team after last year’s game:

Last edited:
You make some good points. It's early in the season so honestly, a lot of this is pure speculation on how good/bad these teams are. Maybe Reading is better than I thought - or maybe Wyoming just isn't that good? I think this week will be very interesting and will tell us a lot about who these teams really are but for now, I'm still saying its Indian Hill then a big drop off to the rest of the league.

I think Reading is much better. I looked at last year's Reading team on the CHL website and they return virtually their entire team this year. That year of experience for Reading has been huge. Also note that Reading always (except for when they are way down) gives Wyoming a good contest. I wouldn't get caught up in saying Wyoming isn't that good. Losing Prater was huge but Wyoming returns a lot of young guys that played significant minutes last year. The Cowboy defense will be very good. Offense obviously not as good as last year but has some nice players.

I think Reading is much better. I looked at last year's Reading team on the CHL website and they return virtually their entire team this year. That year of experience for Reading has been huge. Also note that Reading always (except for when they are way down) gives Wyoming a good contest. I wouldn't get caught up in saying Wyoming isn't that good. Losing Prater was huge but Wyoming returns a lot of young guys that played significant minutes last year. The Cowboy defense will be very good. Offense obviously not as good as last year but has some nice players.

Maybe that came out wrong - Wyoming is always good and I assumed that they would be good again but maybe Reading really is improved. That combined with Wyoming may still be trying to find themselves in the post Prater era. How they look against a pretty good Mariemont team will might be a good indicator of where they are.

reading's qb returns and has a nice arm. 1 and 4 play rb and lb and are talented. they have another lb, 16, who ran down wyoming's fastest players and showed real hustle. they have better numbers than last year in terms of players. they are fielding a JV. so, yes, i would say reading has improved a lot.

He did not play last year but is back playing this year. Starting qb.

Is he the son/relative of John Thornton who played for the Bengals?

I believe another Thornton played for the Braves a few years back but as a defensive lineman or linebacker maybe?

Is he the son/relative of John Thornton who played for the Bengals?

I believe another Thornton played for the Braves a few years back but as a defensive lineman or linebacker maybe?

Yes, his son. His older son was a DL that is currently playing for West Virginia.