Chip timing coaching instructions

Finishtiming

Coaches
Couple things for all of you to do in future meets

1) Could you please tell all your kids to quit stopping their watch while crossing the finishline. Not only do they cover their chip which will make it not read they are also covering their bib which is what we have to read if the chip does not read, and they are also getting passed as they finish since they have a hold of their watch from about 20 meters from finish.

2) When training your girls teams start training them for 5020 meters instead of 5001. the pile ups at the finishline are getting out of hand. It would be different if it were hot.

Thanks
ALL TIMING COMPANIES IN OHIO

Ban Mile splits, 2-mile splits, and finish line clocks too! and, unless, all get to race in the same shoes, all should be barefoot. A lead vehicle is also not needed and should be banned.... all kids should know the course and what the colored markings mean. A trailing vehicle, for medical purposes is OK

Ban Mile splits, 2-mile splits, and finish line clocks too! and, unless, all get to race in the same shoes, all should be barefoot. A lead vehicle is also not needed and should be banned.... all kids should know the course and what the colored markings mean. A trailing vehicle, for medical purposes is OK

A trailer for medical purposes is WOKE. What is next a trailer for every kid on the course? The insanity needs to stop now. Stop coddling the youth of America. We are making a weak society.

We could go back to popsicle sticks but most coaches and athletes would not know what to do with them or even know how to count their score up. Amazing how many coaches look at you funny when you mention this, they have no idea what it is or how we used to do xc meets.
More amazing are coaches that do not question the results. I guess invitationals aren't all that important, but I have seen where someone is left out of the results altogether and it's never fixed. Worst or best example of this was at a Regional I was working. I was at the finish line and I really didn't know the teams since it was not in the NE. sort of got in my head which teams I thought had made it to the State meet and one was glaringly absent. I was posting them thinking, this can't be right. How was I that off. The coaches are all there and the coach of the team I was questioning sort of looked dejected but just sort of shrugged it off. I went up to him and told him. I think there is something wrong with your score. You might want to look it over. I had your 5 in much higher than it shows. I could be wrong, but you should check. No it looks right to me he said. They are getting ready to announce the results and tell which teams qualified when I went up to him again and said. Are you sure? It only shows you with 6 runners. You didn't have 7? They did have 7. The one kids chips did not read and when looking at the finish line camera, he was nowhere to be seen. He was covered up by other runners. Took the identalynx camera to show him. They qualified to the State meet.

What was the finish line tag/Chip read rate at SNL? Didn’t seem very good.
The read rate was good it was a problem with the splits. The system we had to use was to capture all the splits and finish into one computer since the time schedule was 25 minutes race to race. When a person misses a split point read then when they get to the finish it says they didnt finish yet since it was looking for 4 reads and may have only had 3. In actuality we had about 5 misses per race (mainly boys races) at the finish but finding them is a tedious process again with the time schedule. We did have about 2-3 per race that were stopping their watch and we could not read the number either so those we had to wait until coach came and said we missed them and we let the coach confirm the picture was the person then told them why.
We would normally run a separate computer for the splits but the time schedule was so tight we really scrambled the first 3 races to make it work but found it was going to be easier to just get them all into one.
All of the splits are now listed on the live results site now. We found a milesplit bug in live results but again did not really have time to troubleshoot as we normally would have since we had approximately 45 seconds from the end of the last runner to the first runner crossing the first split point.
You can see any miss there was by seeing a missing split for that person.

The read rate was good it was a problem with the splits. The system we had to use was to capture all the splits and finish into one computer since the time schedule was 25 minutes race to race. When a person misses a split point read then when they get to the finish it says they didnt finish yet since it was looking for 4 reads and may have only had 3. In actuality we had about 5 misses per race (mainly boys races) at the finish but finding them is a tedious process again with the time schedule. We did have about 2-3 per race that were stopping their watch and we could not read the number either so those we had to wait until coach came and said we missed them and we let the coach confirm the picture was the person then told them why.
We would normally run a separate computer for the splits but the time schedule was so tight we really scrambled the first 3 races to make it work but found it was going to be easier to just get them all into one.
All of the splits are now listed on the live results site now. We found a milesplit bug in live results but again did not really have time to troubleshoot as we normally would have since we had approximately 45 seconds from the end of the last runner to the first runner crossing the first split point.
You can see any miss there was by seeing a missing split for that person.
You all did an amazing job with so many races, athletes, and as you mentioned, super tight time schedule. Thanks!