Chicago

Which teams will be going to the Chicago bid this weekend and which ones do you think can make some noise? And a question.. has an Ohio team ever won the Chicago bid tournament?

Make some noise? Like win a bid? I doubt any Ohio teams win a bid. Vanguard 18-1 is the best team for their age group in Ohio, so I'll say they come the closest. No Ohio team has ever won the Chicago tournament. Vanguard 18-1 2014(?) is the only Ohio team to ever win a bid tournament to my knowledge, which they did in Florida.

Make some noise? Like win a bid? I doubt any Ohio teams win a bid. Vanguard 18-1 is the best team for their age group in Ohio, so I'll say they come the closest. No Ohio team has ever won the Chicago tournament. Vanguard 18-1 2014(?) is the only Ohio team to ever win a bid tournament to my knowledge, which they did in Florida.

Last year Vanguard 17 won the St Louis bid tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No bids in Chicago
14 Open:
- Cin Attack finished 9, Vanguard 16
15 Open
- Attack 7, Vanguard 13
16 Open
- Attack 11, Vanguard 26
17 Open
- Attack 19, Vanguard 23
18 Open
- Vanguard 10, Phoenix 21, Air City 31, Attack, 31

Quick question for all our Darby/Vanguard buddies:

Is the talent well drying up in Columbus? Every age group besides 18s Cinci Attack finished higher :stirthepot:

Quick question for all our Darby/Vanguard buddies:

Is the talent well drying up in Columbus? Every age group besides 18s Cinci Attack finished higher :stirthepot:

Cincy Attack has a built in advantage at the younger ages due to all the Catholic Boys volleyball programs. CYO (east side) routinely has 10-12 teams in each age group through the 8th grade with pockets of good fundamental coaching. Vanguard gets excited to have one U14 team whereas Attack will routinely have around 4 teams to develop.

Vanguard shows better at older age as they play kids up and practice more with access to more college talent. This year they have 5 players playing up to U18s including a Freshman. And they have at least one playing up to U17. If you had these kids playing their age groups younger Vanguard teams would show better.

IMO, Vanguard does a much better job developing players for college with much more college visibility.

And the 18's match against the eventual Chicago Gold Bracket Champion Adversity was fantastic and could have gone either way. It was the toughest match Adversity had over the last 2 days. Vanguard earned a lot of respect from that match.

I agree about the grade school programs. It helps the kids get exposure to the sport at a younger age. I'm not sure it is as big of a deal as you are making it seem, though, since the coaches are typically a parent with limited volleyball experience. However, it is better than nothing.

And the 18's match against the eventual Chicago Gold Bracket Champion Adversity was fantastic and could have gone either way. It was the toughest match Adversity had over the last 2 days. Vanguard earned a lot of respect from that match.

What about the match that Adversity lost? Or the one that went to three? I would guess those were tougher matches

No bids in Chicago
14 Open:
- Cin Attack finished 9, Vanguard 16
15 Open
- Attack 7, Vanguard 13
16 Open
- Attack 11, Vanguard 26
17 Open
- Attack 19, Vanguard 23
18 Open
- Vanguard 10, Phoenix 21, Air City 31, Attack, 31

The 15 Open Cincinnati Attack team managed to earn a bid. One of the top 6 already had a bid, so the Attack team played another team for the bid and won.

I agree about the grade school programs. It helps the kids get exposure to the sport at a younger age. I'm not sure it is as big of a deal as you are making it seem, though, since the coaches are typically a parent with limited volleyball experience. However, it is better than nothing.

What about the match that Adversity lost? Or the one that went to three? I would guess those were tougher matches

From the broader Volleyball Blogger community, Adversity played their second squad in the loss to AZ Fear. Looks like they played their first squad in the late Day 2 and Day 3 matches.

http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/67234/chicago-qualifier-1-14-16

There is also a specific call out on the quality of the match and opinions offered that Vanguard 18-1s are a top 4 Midwest team. Quite a shift from before the tourney.

Impressive. What lineup were they using in Chicago, still going with the modified 5-1 with Szwabinsky front row setting and Luers backrow? Which two of the three middles are playing best, and what is the rotation of Gerwig, Pung, Brinkerhoff, and Bowling as far as playing time?

Line-up

Vanguard is playing the modified 5-1.

Regarding Middles - they seem more comfortable with Moldovan/Carpenter but Dawson brings an energy.

Outsides seem to be a rotation through the first 4 matches of any tourney where they sit out in the following order - Gerwig, Bowling, Brinkerhoff, Pung. After that it is who they feel will give them the best chance to win. It seems to change set by set at times. They pulled Gerwig in one set with Brinkerhoff sent in. The next set they pulled Bowling and sent Brinkerhoff in.

The boys seem to understand that they pick-up for each other and it is based on play at the time or just sometimes the need for a change. They've pulled Roman for Luers and Luers for Roman.