Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) 2024

I can kinda see where it makes sense but curious why you don't think so
he has built something great at Shawnee- why would he leave to be a coordinator at Bellefontaine? for a single year of coaching TSC? Meeks probably could’ve had any GWOC, MVL, or maybe even OCC job he wanted. at the very least, could’ve gotten a coordinator job with a yearly state contender, if championships are his goal.

he has built something great at Shawnee- why would he leave to be a coordinator at Bellefontaine? for a single year of coaching TSC? Meeks probably could’ve had any GWOC, MVL, or maybe even OCC job he wanted. at the very least, could’ve gotten a coordinator job with a yearly state contender, if championships are his goal.
Who says it is just a one year gig? Maybe the new old coach who had to come back is just keeping the seat warm and now they have the successor?

Bell is building to be a routine state contender so this makes perfect sense. There is no other real program in the area so in this new era of OE/transfers they can reach far and wide to include Marysville area. In 3-5 years you will look back on your comment and realize you were very wrong.

Who says it is just a one year gig? Maybe the new old coach who had to come back is just keeping the seat warm and now they have the successor?

Bell is building to be a routine state contender so this makes perfect sense. There is no other real program in the area so in this new era of OE/transfers they can reach far and wide to include Marysville area. In 3-5 years you will look back on your comment and realize you were very wrong.
he may be in Belle for more than a year, but TSC won’t past this year- that’s what i was getting at

i don’t think being the head coach at Bellefontaine in D3 is that much better than making deep playoff runs every year at Shawnee. i’m sure Meeks knows how long it takes to build a program to attain yearly success the way Shawnee does now. why would he want to restart at Bellefontaine of all places?

he may be in Belle for more than a year, but TSC won’t past this year- that’s what i was getting at

i don’t think being the head coach at Bellefontaine in D3 is that much better than making deep playoff runs every year at Shawnee. i’m sure Meeks knows how long it takes to build a program to attain yearly success the way Shawnee does now. why would he want to restart at Bellefontaine of all places?
You familiar with Reign St. Clair, incoming Freshman QB? He's growing fast and might have a chance to be a pretty good QB.

You familiar with Reign St. Clair, incoming Freshman QB? He's growing fast and might have a chance to be a pretty good QB.
i am not familiar. if that is a younger sibling of TSC, that would make it a bit more intriguing.

Reactions: bcw

Less competition for athletes at Bell than in Springfield. They have to deal with that poacher MoDo. In belle they really could attract FB players through kenton to the north, marysville to the east, wapak/st marys to west and also from the south.

I think you start with the premise that he wanted to stay at Shawnee until his son graduated and go from there.

Shawnee folks have claimed for a while that they are about to have a downturn in talent. That's why they finally pushed to realign the CBC according to enrollment. They could have pushed for it a couple of years earlier, but didn't see the need when things were rolling.

GWOC would pay more but he's burned a few of those schools already and, more importantly, none of them were open.

OCC is a good call but maybe it's more of a drive than he wants.

CBC to MVL is a lateral move outside of maybe Tipp, Troy, or maybe Piqua. Not a huge pay bump there, either.

Being an associate principal at Bellefontaine will pay more than teaching at Shawnee, which will help now and in his retirement.

Getting to call plays for the guy who may end up being QB1 for the 2025 class is a once in a lifetime opportunity. But getting into admin is the bigger coup for him financially and gives him more options. He could stay at Bellefontaine until he retires and then double dip there or elsewhere if that's his wish. I wouldn't try to predict what he'll do because he seems to be someone who likes applying elsewhere even if he doesn't ultimately take the job he applies for. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a one-year deal or he's there until little St. Clair is through. Either way, this is a huge get for Bellefontaine.

I would guess Brown is the head coach for the long haul. Sounds like they gave him a great gig to keep him as coach, not sure it would make sense for the district to have him do that if he isn't coaching. But I also don't know the particulars of their alternative program to say if it was a sweetheart deal just for their head coach or if their alternative school director has always gotten admin pay.

Last edited:
Less competition for athletes at Bell than in Springfield. They have to deal with that poacher MoDo. In belle they really could attract FB players through kenton to the north, marysville to the east, wapak/st marys to west and also from the south.
hmmm.. you’re assuming Mo hasn’t made any visits to Belle..

I think you start with the premise that he wanted to stay at Shawnee until his son graduated and go from there.

Shawnee folks have claimed for a while that they are about to have a downturn in talent. That's why they finally pushed to realign the CBC according to enrollment. They could have pushed for it a couple of years earlier, but didn't see the need when things were rolling.

GWOC would pay more but he's burned a few of those schools already and, more importantly, none of them were open.

CBC to MVL is a lateral move outside of maybe Tipp, Troy, or maybe Piqua. Not a huge pay bump there, either.

Being an associate principal at Bellefontaine will pay more than teaching at Shawnee, which will help now and in his retirement.

Getting to call plays for the guy who may end up being QB1 for the 2025 class is a once in a lifetime opportunity. But getting into admin is the bigger coup for him financially and gives him more options. He could stay at Bellefontaine until he retires and then double dip there or elsewhere if that's his wish. I wouldn't try to predict what he'll do because he seems to be someone who likes applying elsewhere even if he doesn't ultimately take the job he applies for. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a one-year deal or he's there until little St. Clair is through. Either way, this is a huge get for Bellefontaine.

I would guess Brown is the head coach for the long haul. Sounds like they gave him a great gig to keep him as coach, not sure it would make sense for the district to have him do that if he isn't coaching. But I also don't know the particulars of their alternative program to say if it was a sweetheart deal just for their head coach or if their alternative school director has always gotten admin pay.
Plus taking a job elsewhere is almost always about relationships and there are relationships that exist in this marriage.

Coach Brown is taking over the credit recovery program. The job has been in limbo the last couple years, so it was more about needing the right person than a "soft landing spot" for the HC. It's a real deal job with a lot of moving parts.

GWOC- Beavercreek was open, but he would be selling himself short with that job

MVL- fair enough, you hit it spot on. maybe add Butler.

OCC- the distance probably isn’t as bad as you think. it seems like those jobs pay quite a bit more.

Shawnee to Bellefontaine HS- 54 minutes
Shawnee to Hilliard Bradley- 39 minutes (even closer if he lives on the east end of the city)

you would have to assume he is moving to work at Bellefontaine? that drive would be a pain, especially to coach, unless he lived up by the Rockway area of the Shawnee district.

my bigger question- why wouldn’t Shawnee do what they had to to keep him as an Admin? or did Meeks just want something different?

Not really seeing any downside for Meeks.

Gets the bump in admin pay plus the admin experience. If he wants to be a head coach again in a few years, having the admin experience probably makes it easier to try to squeeze an admin job/head coach combo somewhere else.

GWOC- Beavercreek was open, but he would be selling himself short with that job

MVL- fair enough, you hit it spot on. maybe add Butler.

OCC- the distance probably isn’t as bad as you think. it seems like those jobs pay quite a bit more.

Shawnee to Bellefontaine HS- 54 minutes
Shawnee to Hilliard Bradley- 39 minutes (even closer if he lives on the east end of the city)

you would have to assume he is moving to work at Bellefontaine? that drive would be a pain, especially to coach, unless he lived up by the Rockway area of the Shawnee district.

my bigger question- why wouldn’t Shawnee do what they had to to keep him as an Admin? or did Meeks just want something different?
My guess is he was a teacher at Shawnee and there were no current openings for Admin and there was at Bellefontaine.

Looks like Meeks just got keys to a Ferrari. It will be interesting to see how his offense adapts to TSC. Without giving a close look at past stats, I would say his offense is close to 70%-75%+ run...even we they had QBs that could throw. It'll be worth seeing if TSC is schemed to run more.

I would guess things are getting exciting in Belle Land.

Now, for the Braves, uh oh. getting close to the end of the school year and the program has been put in flux. I believe there are several assistants that have been with Meeks throughout, a safe bet would be pick one of those to lead and keep a familiarity. Just wondering how many kids jump ship and maybe go somewhere like SCC?

My guess is he was a teacher at Shawnee and there were no current openings for Admin and there was at Bellefontaine.
probably correct, but what’s to say he couldn’t have gotten one 2 years ago or so? outside of of the appeal of the St Clair clan, Bellefontaine is interesting, unless there was a prior relationship with the coaching staff. i’m sure he will do great things with that offense.

Looks like Meeks just got keys to a Ferrari. It will be interesting to see how his offense adapts to TSC. Without giving a close look at past stats, I would say his offense is close to 70%-75%+ run...even we they had QBs that could throw. It'll be worth seeing if TSC is schemed to run more.

I would guess things are getting exciting in Belle Land.

Now, for the Braves, uh oh. getting close to the end of the school year and the program has been put in flux. I believe there are several assistants that have been with Meeks throughout, a safe bet would be pick one of those to lead and keep a familiarity. Just wondering how many kids jump ship and maybe go somewhere like SCC?
I think this all comes down to who the coach is.

I think this all comes down to who the coach is.
Has Meeks formally resigned from Shawnee or is it a wait and see until the Belle School Board meeting to approves? I take it that would be 8 April? I wonder how long it would take Shawnee to hire? I know it's only "April" but the pitch and catch pre-season is only four months away.

Has Meeks formally resigned from Shawnee or is it a wait and see until the Belle School Board meeting to approves? I take it that would be 8 April? I wonder how long it would take Shawnee to hire? I know it's only "April" but the pitch and catch pre-season is only four months away.
I haven't heard any scuttlebutt about him actually resigning yet. But, if he does, the timing of the replacement coach would depend on internal vs external. Knowing Meeks and how much respect he has for his staff, I would guess he would have already told them and they may have already decided if one of them plans to go for it.

In the thread about the enrollment figures released by OHSAA. Someone anticipated cutoff lines. Chiefs will be close. Looked like JA and London will firmly be in D4. Still some movement with Competitive Balance not factored.

In the thread about the enrollment figures released by OHSAA. Someone anticipated cutoff lines. Chiefs will be close. Looked like JA and London will firmly be in D4. Still some movement with Competitive Balance not factored.

The enrollment numbers for 2024-25 are out but do not include Competitive Balance #'s. Here is the CBC #'s for boys grades 9 thru 11:

CBC - Kenton Trail
Tecumseh, 324
Bellefountaine, 274
London, 264
Jonathan Alder, 257
Kenton Ridge, 253
Shawnee, 218

CBC - Mad River
Urbana, 220
Ben Logan, 213
Springfield NW, 196
Graham, 189
Indian Lake, 187
North Union, 164

Below was the 2023 Divisional breakdown by enrollment. Most schools across the state appear to be losing enrollment as Ohio's population ages. Regarding...
* Bellefountaine, I would assume they will continue to be in Div III once Competitive Balance #'s are added in.
* London could be on the DIII/DIV cut line.
* JA, KR, Shawnee & Urbana should remain in DIV
* Tecumseh will be DIII
* Everyone else should be DV

1712148171796.png

Noticed Urbana and Shawnee super close again with boys. Shawnee girls was much lower than Urbana.
Does the league allow one gender in one division but opposite with the other gender?

Noticed Urbana and Shawnee super close again with boys. Shawnee girls was much lower than Urbana.
Does the league allow one gender in one division but opposite with the other gender?
doubtful. that would likely create some scheduling logistics issues, if i had to guess. mainly for sports like softball/baseball who share a bus.

I would guess the conference will combine girls and boys enrollment to decide divisions. But I would guess that division changes wouldn't occur until 25/26 school year at this point.