CBS not covering the NCAA basketball on Saturday

bigkat

what would be the reasoning for CBS not showing the 2 games tonight, and putting it on TBS..... and I think the National Championship game is on TBS too, and not CBS on that Monday night

College basketball interest is dying. If they have anything else they feel could get higher ratings at those times they will always go with higher ratings.

Even though this has been an entertaining tourney for many reasons, the college basketball product is just a shell of what it once was. The power schools have too many one and done kids, so you don’t even know who their players will be from year to year. And people like the Cinderella aspect of the tourney, but parity gives us too many “lesser” teams sometimes and most casual fans are more interested in Carolina vs Duke or UCLA vs Kentucky…even if they don’t know their players from year to year.

I thought it was odd that CBS would not air the games Saturday, but cjb is right, sadly many are drifting away from college basketball and it's been a gradual thing, not just due to the reasons listed. We have an incredibly fragmented audience today. I'd guess reruns of Law & Order get the same or better ratings than some live college games, depending on the matchups. Alot of people go out on Saturdays and I just think CBS felt the audience wasn't going to be there, plus they can push the games to one of their other networks. Now my guess is most of the civilized country now has cable or satellite TV, or can live stream so if you want to see the games, you can. It will be really interesting to see how live sports will look in another 15-20 years.

College basketball interest is dying. If they have anything else they feel could get higher ratings at those times they will always go with higher ratings.

Even though this has been an entertaining tourney for many reasons, the college basketball product is just a shell of what it once was. The power schools have too many one and done kids, so you don’t even know who their players will be from year to year. And people like the Cinderella aspect of the tourney, but parity gives us too many “lesser” teams sometimes and most casual fans are more interested in Carolina vs Duke or UCLA vs Kentucky…even if they don’t know their players from year to year.
This, FA killed baseball one and done has done the same to college bball. College football a player has to be out of H.S. 3 years before he can enter the NFL draft. The NFL teams usually keep their stars esp. QB's which is why football has really separated itself from the other sports.

I thought it was odd that CBS would not air the games Saturday, but cjb is right, sadly many are drifting away from college basketball and it's been a gradual thing, not just due to the reasons listed. We have an incredibly fragmented audience today. I'd guess reruns of Law & Order get the same or better ratings than some live college games, depending on the matchups. Alot of people go out on Saturdays and I just think CBS felt the audience wasn't going to be there, plus they can push the games to one of their other networks. Now my guess is most of the civilized country now has cable or satellite TV, or can live stream so if you want to see the games, you can. It will be really interesting to see how live sports will look in another 15-20 years.

Everything will be pay-per-view.

Everything will be pay-per-view.
This, FA killed baseball one and done has done the same to college bball. College football a player has to be out of H.S. 3 years before he can enter the NFL draft. The NFL teams usually keep their stars esp. QB's which is why football has really separated itself from the other sports.
Very true, one and done, but also the transfer portal. I laughed Saturday morning when some talk radio guys were saying the Duke / North Carolina game was one going to be one of the best college games...EVER??? I'll admit I only watch alot of big ten basketball during the regular season. I barley know any of the players on Duke/ North Carolina because some have only been there one year, some have transferred and there is just not alot of buzz to their rosters. Remember the 80's NC/ Duke with Jordan/ Perkins/ Kenny Smith/ Laettner/ Hurley/ Grant Hill. These guys were household names by the time they were juniors. We have been droned in college basketball, there are 4-5 games on per night, ESPN is only one station of many who put games on. Unless you're a fan of a program or conference, you just don't connect with these guys until you see them 2-3 weeks in a row.